Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Injured child gets 11.5 million euros

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

prinz wrote: »
    It was the mother, the MIBI pay on her behalf because she's uninsured. Separately the MIBI take a case against her to have a judgement made against her

http://www.rte.ie/news/2012/0420/largest-settlement-ever-in-high-court-11-5m.html

Do you have any evidence that she wasn't the named defendant?

Courts website
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/36C77B40A61FCB6C802577230041B064?opendocument&l=en&p=010

KENNEDY [MINOR] -V- KENNEDY & ANOR 2010/5037 P
    Defendant Name: KENNEDY MARTIN Solicitor Firm: HARRISON O DOWD Defendant Name: MIBI Solicitor Firm: HARRISON O DOWD

Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Motorist wrote: »
    They won't sue most likely.

They always sue. Look at the register of judgements published. There are frequently judgements obtained by the MIBI.

Here are some of this years cases from www.courts.ie

Cases By Plaintiff
    Plaintiff Record Number Title View Details
    MIBI 2012 252 S MIBI -V- GLEESON View
    MIBI 2012 253 S MIBI -V- MOOREHOUSE View
    MIBI 2012 268 S MIBI -V- DELAHUNTY View
    MIBI 2012 269 S MIBI -V- BAILEY View
    MIBI 2012 270 S MIBI -V- UMBA View
    MIBI 2012 271 S MIBI -V- PALUSZYNSKI View
    MIBI 2012 272 S MIBI -V- BYRNE View
    MIBI 2012 273 S MIBI -V- TOBIN View
    MIBI 2012 274 S MIBI -V- BASSEY View
    MIBI 2012 275 S MIBI -V- TIMOTHY View
    MIBI 2012 276 S MIBI -V- GREENE View
    MIBI 2012 277 S MIBI -V- KELLY View
    MIBI 2012 962 S MIBI -V- OWENS View
    MIBI 2012 1187 S MIBI -V- WILSON View
    MIBI 2012 1190 S MIBI -V- MORGAN View
    MIBI 2012 1224 S MIBI -V- BAKER View
    MIBI 2012 1276 S MIBI -V- BYRNE View
    MIBI 2012 1277 S MIBI -V- HANLON View
    MIBI 2012 1278 S MIBI -V- LINNANE View

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

I'm sure there was a punishment specific to her driving without insurance, separate to this claim.

Almost certainly not. She probably pointed to her poor son again and walked out of the court.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Is that it? Who is Martin Kennedy?

Courts website
    http://www.courts.ie/courts.ie/library3.nsf/pagecurrent/36C77B40A61FCB6C802577230041B064?opendocument&l=en&p=010

KENNEDY [MINOR] -V- KENNEDY & ANOR 2010/5037 P
    Defendant Name: KENNEDY MARTIN Solicitor Firm: HARRISON O DOWD Defendant Name: MIBI Solicitor Firm: HARRISON O DOWD

"KENNEDY [MINOR] -V- KENNEDY & ANOR 2010/5037 P" - I presume that she is the second Kennedy, and "ANOR" is "another"?

• Advertisement

"KENNEDY [MINOR] -V- KENNEDY & ANOR 2010/5037 P" - I presume that she is the second Kennedy, and "ANOR" is "another"?

The Kennedy is Martin Kennedy ANOR = another MIBI.

Martin Kennedy is presumably the owner of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

The childs Grandfather??

micropig wrote: »
    The childs Grandfather??

As defendant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

manutd wrote: »
    What happened to the mother then, ie. driving without insurance?

Jeez, I don't know.
    Maybe she has to live with the consequences of her actions for the rest of her life!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

As defendant?

Oops, yes I see the flaw there...Who is he so?

Owner of the car....Is it the childs father?

micropig wrote: »
    Oops, yes I see the flaw there...Who is he so?

Owner of the car....Is it the childs father?

Maybe he is the owner of the car and grandfather and the mother acted as next friend in the action against him. It just means the case was reported backways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Worldsgonemad

This case dosn;t make any sense. The woman shouldn;t have been on the road as she wasn't insured, she was at fault for the accident because she lost concentration. Then her mother brings her to court and they win 11 million euros. It could only happen in Ireland

what a country we live in, we couldn't find that amount during the celtic tiger to give young girls the cancer vaccine!

I think you'll find we did....

This case dosn;t make any sense. The woman shouldn;t have been on the road as she wasn't insured, she was at fault for the accident because she lost concentration. Then her mother brings her to court and they win 11 million euros. It could only happen in Ireland

What should she do with her seriously injured son?

This happens in every country, not just Ireland.

Gotta say, the venom from some posters on here borders on the hysterical.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

telekon wrote: »
    I don't get it. Who exactly is paying the money? She wasn't insured and Im sure is not a multi millionaire?

Who do you honestly think is paying it? ...... It will be you, me & ever other INSURED driver in the country who will pay this bill. I don't begrudge the payment to the child as his life has clearly been ruined but I did think the mother has a brass neck appearing on the 9pm News all concerned & caring .... wonder was she ever charged with driving without insurance? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,475 ✭✭✭drkpower

In the real world when doctors, drivers, pilots, fairground workers etc etc suffer lapses in concentration which result in injuries and death.....
    ....they dont usually go to jail, or anything close.

I hope that the mother was prosecuted for (at least) driving without insurance, but the usual penalty for that is a fine, penalty points and/or a loss of license.

The fact that the consequences of one's actions is tragic does not usually mean that the perpetrator should be punished more severely (at least from a criminal perspective). Looking at the example you used: take 2 doctors; one makes an error (through loss of concentration or whatever) and a patient suffers severe pain; another makes an error and someone dies; the consequences will not affect the criminal responsibility of either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Almost certainly not. She probably pointed to her poor son again and walked out of the court.

The idea of legal punishment is as a deterrent. I think the punishment for her is far more severe than for most that were or will be caught driving without insurance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Motorist

drkpower wrote: »
    ....they dont usually go to jail, or anything close.

I hope that the mother was prosecuted for (at least) driving without insurance, but the usual penalty for that is a fine, penalty points and/or a loss of license.

The fact that the consequences of one's actions is tragic does not usually mean that the perpetrator should be punished more severely (at least from a criminal perspective). Looking at the example you used: take 2 doctors; one makes an error (through loss of concentration or whatever) and a patient suffers severe pain; another makes an error and someone dies; the consequences will not affect the criminal responsibility of either.

http://www.pluk.co.uk/2009/former-locum-given-three-month-suspended-sentence-for-dispensing-error/ (although in the UK)

One simple error resulted in a criminal conviction and loss of livelihood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Might seem nasty to type this but suppose the child dies in two or three years :(

I assume the MIBI are going to come back to take back the money.
    Or maybe the court award is final it can't be reversed

Wonder if a legal eagle would know the answer?
    I read the last few pages [it's a long thread] but didn't see an answer realy

• Advertisement

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Might seem nasty to type this but suppose the child dies in two or three years :(

Ridiculous to think that this award is based on an estimation of how long the child will live. What if that estimation is grossly wrong ? Ah sure it's only the money of law-abiding fools who pay their car insurance.

Motorist wrote: »
    Ridiculous to think that this award is based on an estimation of how long the child will live. What if that estimation is grossly wrong ? Ah sure it's only the money of law-abiding fools who pay their car insurance.

Paymens are on a per needed basis, controlled by the court. In the event the child died, the payments stop.

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What should she do with her seriously injured son?

This happens in every country, not just Ireland.

Gotta say, the venom from some posters on here borders on the hysterical.
    Without reading all the posts, I suppose it just seems a bit much that the woman could be driving illegally and cause a crash, and we have to pick up the pieces to the tune of 11.5 million euros. How many lives would that save in screening and treatment for other people?

Of course, the child is blameless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

First of all, I am very sorry to hear that the child has and still suffers like he does.

But for the life of me what I don't get is that the child is on the news, with his mother beside him, celebrating would be the wrong word, but posing for pictures in the biggest settlement ever for this type of case. Has that mother no morality? I understand that the costs so far and in the future will be huge, and I understand that it must be a huge and heavy burden for the mother to carry, but I can't help think that €11.50m will soften the blow for her a bit. Who ends up paying that €11.50m, as far as I am aware its us when we go to renew our insurance, although I would rather be contributing to that childs welfare then bailing out Quinn Insurance, which I am definately paying for

robbie7730 wrote: »
    The idea of legal punishment is as a deterrent.
    Punishment and deterrent both, surely?

Paymens are on a per needed basis, controlled by the court. In the event the child died, the payments stop.

Incorrect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Paymens are on a per needed basis, controlled by the court. In the even the child died, the payments stop.

But this is one payment from what I've read

I haven't seen anything about MIBI paying this annually

Sorry, probably getting a bit technical in how the money will paid but just interested in it

I read most of the thread and it seemed to me to be one lump sum and that's it

And why would it be one lump sum
    MIBI should review every year, if there is inflation it can be adjusted and pay out once a year
    But if the child dies, then that's it, payments over

Nobody know where we will be in a few decades times. A lump sum is crude and inaccurate

But this is one payment from what I've read

I haven't seen anything about MIBI paying this annually

Sorry, probably getting a bit technical in how the money will paid but just interested in it

I read most of the thread and it seemed to me to be one lump sum and that's it

Maybe so. I thought it was ongoing court controlled payments.

Without reading all the posts, I suppose it just seems a bit much that the woman could be driving illegally and cause a crash, and we have to pick up the pieces to the tune of 11.5 million euros. How many lives would that save in screening and treatment for other people?

Of course, the child is blameless.

But sure if she was insured the child's grandad or whoever could still sue the mother for compensation.
    Where do you think the money would come from then?

It was an accident for ****'s sake, she hardly did it on purpose and she has to deal with the consequences for the rest of her life.

I really am stunned by the reaction to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Jim_Kiy

Callan57 wrote: »
    Who do you honestly think is paying it? ...... It will be you, me & ever other INSURED driver in the country who will pay this bill. I don't begrudge the payment to the child as his life has clearly been ruined but I did think the mother has a brass neck appearing on the 9pm News all concerned & caring .... wonder was she ever charged with driving without insurance? :confused:

Or Dangerous driving?

Advertisement