Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pro12: Ulster vs Leinster, Ravenhill, 20/4, 19:05 KO, BBC2 & RTE 2

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

leonard7 wrote: »
    who is dippy?

Dominic Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

leonard7 wrote: »
    who is dippy?
    Locky - Kevin McLaughlin
    Treebeard - Devin Toner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭rrpc

And just to note that Jonny Sexton has now reached the magic 90% kick ratio in the Pro12.

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Got back from the game late last night.
    Not the best game to watch but great support & atmosphere from the Ulster fans in the main Grandstand beside me.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

ongarite wrote: »
    Got back from the game late last night.
    Not the best game to watch but great support & atmosphere from the Ulster fans in the main Grandstand beside me.

Indeed, they sure do support their team.

The booing of some of the Leinster players was seriously uncalled for and imo very unsporting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,201 ✭✭✭ongarite

Boss was the only one I remember getting a few boos from where I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

the booing is just a bit of pantomine craic. it usually only happens towards the end of games, just about when the 3rd or 4th pints are kicking in ...and when a few decisions go against ulster. i love being at ravenhill for games.

i thought the game was decent enough. was always going to be a bit strange with the semi's only a week away.

from an ulster perspective i thought Paddy Jackson was a real highlight. His defence was brilliant and he always looked comfortable on the ball despite having to tackle the likes of O'Brien. One lovely kick into touch as well.

Ian Porter looked pretty good when he came on. was straight into it and showed a lovely pass.

Scrum held up pretty decent too. Just keeping fingers crossed for the injuries now.

Leinster deserved the win anyway. Some lovely running in the first half, Reddan's little reverse passes were working well.

Hopefully both teams meet again before the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭Hippo

The booing was evident from very early on, even for the most blatant penalties. The booing of Boss was disgraceful, I'm sure the majority of Ulster fans were disgusted by it as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Ah lads, don't be so sensitive. If you think that's bad, you're going to sh*t your pants in Bordeaux!!

I actually quite admire the Ulster crowd for being so hostile, partizan, intense and noisy. Better crowd than you ever hear in RDS or Thomond imo, and would love to have that noise level at RDS. As i mentioned in a thread elsewhere, terracing has a major role to play in crowd performance though, with virtually zero in RDS, but lots promised after redevelopment!!

[Quote=[Jackass];78256993]Ah lads, don't be so sensitive. If you think that's bad, you're going to sh*t your pants in Bordeaux[/Quote]

Whatever. Booing a former player is ignorant, end of.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,744 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Disapointing that Boss was booed. He is very very well regarded up here by the vast majority of supporters. Boss didn't come on until 20 mins before the end so how the booing of him was evident early is beyond me.

Anyway hopefully Hugo himself realises that he remains popular up here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

bilston wrote: »
    Disapointing that Boss was booed. He is very very well regarded up here by the vast majority of supporters. Boss didn't come on until 20 mins before the end so how the booing of him was evident early is beyond me.

Anyway hopefully Hugo himself realises that he remains popular up here.

Booing was for more than Boss. Several decisions and Sexton's drop were booed too. The Boss one was the only one I'd take issue with. The rest was in good nature from where I was but got a bit tiresome in the end! I'd reckon Boss knows he's still held in good esteem up there.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Ah they're just being inhospitable home fans. I have no problem with that at all. Ravenhill is a tough place to go for a reason.

GerM wrote: »
    Booing was for more than Boss. Several decisions and Sexton's drop were booed too. The Boss one was the only one I'd take issue with. The rest was in good nature from where I was but got a bit tiresome in the end! I'd reckon Boss knows he's still held in good esteem up there.

No issues with booing a refereeing decision, I don't do it myself but don't have a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

[Quote=[Jackass];78256993]Ah lads, don't be so sensitive. If you think that's bad, you're going to sh*t your pants in Bordeaux!!

I actually quite admire the Ulster crowd for being so hostile, partizan, intense and noisy. Better crowd than you ever hear in RDS or Thomond imo, and would love to have that noise level at RDS. As i mentioned in a thread elsewhere, terracing has a major role to play in crowd performance though, with virtually zero in RDS, but lots promised after redevelopment!![/Quote]

The SUFTUM chant and their ULSTERRRRRR chants are great and they really get into it. I'm envious of that part. But the boo-ing of every decision that went against them and of Boss was just bad form. Do you think the Leinster fans will start boo-ing Hines next weekend? Or boo-ing when we give away an obvious penalty? You can forgive boo-ing on the odd occasion when an obvious decision goes against you. But the constant boo-ing is bloody annoying.

That said I do hope we meet them again before the end of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭chris_d

Boss is still held in very high regard in Ulster.

It should be pointed out that opposition kicks are always respected by the vast majority of ravenhill crowds, and good opposition play is always applauded.

I didnt notice any v signs being shown to the officials last night.

bilston wrote: »
    Boss didn't come on until 20 mins before the end so how the booing of him was evident early is beyond me.

I didn't say they were booing Boss early on, just that the general booing was present from early on. Anyway, probably enough on this now.

Lads, how did Lacey get on in the middle? Wasn't able to see the game myself.

Would be interested in how he's progressing though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Lads, how did Lacey get on in the middle? Wasn't able to see the game myself.

Thought he was OK; a couple of scrum decisions I didn't agree with but that could be my blue-tinted glasses. Not an easy game to ref, very stop-start, particularly in the second half, and he got a bit of stick from the Ulster fans for a few calls at the breakdown, but overall I think he was reasonably good and unobtrusive.

The only thing was that early on he seemed to be letting the defensive side a little longer than he should to get their hands out of the rucks. He was also very quick to ping for holding on at ruck time, which is fair enough I suppose as the law says you have to release immediately, but sometimes I just think some referees are a little more lenient than others when it comes to the tackled player letting go of the ball.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I wouldn't mind watching it back to see how often he pinged the team putting in at scrum time. It seemed watching it that if it went down etc he just handed the penalty to whichever side was putting in. Of course when you watch it back you do often get a better perspective so I could be totally off there. Other than that I wouldn't have had any issues with him at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,717 ✭✭✭✭JRant

molloyjh wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind watching it back to see how often he pinged the team putting in at scrum time. It seemed watching it that if it went down etc he just handed the penalty to whichever side was putting in. Of course when you watch it back you do often get a better perspective so I could be totally off there. Other than that I wouldn't have had any issues with him at all.

The pitch seemed to cutting up under the scrums, which is always difficult for a ref. he is excellent at keeping the front rows close while setting, alot more refs should be doing that imo. Overall he's a fine refs and tries to let the game flow as much as possible.
    That game was exactly what we needed, nice tough outting, before this weekend.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

Advertisement