Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coldest May Ever?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭

Watching Sky News tonight and they were previewing tomorrows UK papers. One tabloid paper is running a headline "Coldest May Ever". The paper mentions falls of sleat and snow over the UK over the coming month.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Jpmarn wrote: »
    The paper mentions falls of sleat and snow over the UK over the coming month.

A warm May near guaranteed so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

A warm May near guaranteed so :)
    I hope you're right. Just put it out there. It just the paper trying to sell itself in this cold April weather.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

f-cking knew it! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

The Daily Express no doubt, pay no attention.
    Thought so, they're always coming up with this sort of sensational s***e, oh dear Corbyn's name is in there!
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/315293/Coldest-May-for-100-years-Spring-will-retreat-as-winter-

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Its the Corbynator. The express only had that or some X Factor sex scandal to lead with.
    Independent forecaster WeatherAction warned that next month will be the “coldest or near coldest for 100 years” in the East. Forecaster Piers Corbyn said May will bring a “run of bitter northerly winds” with snow at times.

He said: “We are making this headline public because of its importance. The very cold expectations apply to eastern parts and near Europe rather than Ireland and West Britain.” He said a system of cold air will get stuck over eastern Britain for most of the month.

The mercury could struggle to get above 5C (41F) in the East, much lower than the average May daytime temperatures of 15C. Mr Corbyn said: “This is quite unusual, we last got a very cold May in 1996, but we could have to go back to 1891 to see similar. It is certainly going to be a very cold month in the East, although the West will be milder during the day.

Sounds like an average to an above average May here in the Wesht, wheee. :D

• Advertisement

The mercury could struggle to get above 5C (41F) in the East, much lower than the average May daytime temperatures of 15C. Mr Corbyn said: “This is quite unusual,

Sorry in advance for bad language, but that is just absolute and utter bollix. What makes me laugh about Piers Morgan is that we have him pontificating in the scutter press and on idiot radio shows such as Alex Jones about how climate scientists are using scare mongering tactics to promote the idea of climate change etc, YET, he thinks nothing of churning out this CRAP that plays on fears of those who can barely afford to heat their homes.

Of course, it is only a tabloid story that will be yesterday's news by the time it has been read but after that the rumours will begin to spread by word of mouth in everyday life. "did you hear that May is going to be bitter cold" etc, with no one really caring or questioning where the source of that rubbish came from but still instilling in those who are most vulnerable a genuine concern that such cold weather will drain them of any money by having to buy extra fuel etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭Joe Public

Stuff like this can ruin buisness for garden centres if it's believed.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Joe Public wrote: »
    Stuff like this can ruin business for garden centres if it's believed.

I thought that only a Donegal Postie could do that....not Piers.....and who is this Piers Morgan fella that DE is on about anyway.???:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Sorry in advance for bad language,

I thought your post was going to be riddled with bad language. If it was I would have thanked it twice :)

I totally agree with you. If/when May is not as cold as predicted, we will have, droughts with a hint of floods. Don't ask how they will predict both at the same time, The Sun, Star ect, just have a talent for búllshíting. I wouldn't trust their publication of the previous nights lotto numbers right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I remember all the Daily Express predictions of Arctic blasts all winter that never happened so I wouldn't put much faith in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Sorry in advance for bad language, but that is just absolute and utter bollix. What makes me laugh about Piers Morgan is that we have him pontificating in the scutter press and on idiot radio shows such as Alex Jones about how climate scientists are using scare mongering tactics to promote the idea of climate change etc, YET, he thinks nothing of churning out this CRAP that plays on fears of those who can barely afford to heat their homes.

:eek::eek::eek:

dloob wrote: »
    I remember all the Daily Express predictions of Arctic blasts all winter that never happened so I wouldn't put much faith in it.
    Arctic blasts all winter? I can remember predictions of snowfalls in October in that rag!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

The tabloid winter of 2011/12 was historic that's for sure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,390 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

When will I ever learn to not read the comments section of these rags? They make my head hurt :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

the same paper also warned us off record breaking heatwaves for last summer:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

The Daily Express no doubt, pay no attention.
    Thought so, they're always coming up with this sort of sensational s***e, oh dear Corbyn's name is in there!
    http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/315293/Coldest-May-for-100-years-Spring-will-retreat-as-winter-
    It looks like this paper is getting it right so far this month. We will have to put up with below average temperatures up until next Sunday at least. Many of us will have to put with max below 10 c for some of the days this week. As a farmer grass growth is an issue. Hopefully we will see nicer weather in 2nd half of this month and see the back this unseasonable winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,508 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

It looks like this paper is getting it right so far this month. We will have to put up with below average temperatures up until next Sunday at least. Many of us will have to put with max below 10 c for some of the days this week. As a farmer grass growth is an issue. Hopefully we will see nicer weather in 2nd half of this month and see the back this unseasonable winter.

Coldest ever and below average are two different beasts. Will have to wait until the end of May to see which it is. I've serious misgivings about getting out of the current weather pattern anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭OldRio

Lovely day here in Leitrim.
    Sunshine and dry.
    Agree about the grass. Very little growth and animals to feed !!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Agent J

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭shooter57

:( hi folks the weather is so depressing at the mo , so cold ! is there any hope at all for the rest of the month ? or the summer ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

Anyone know what was actually the coldest May "ever" (aka since records began) in Ireland?

According to Phoenix Park records which date back to 1855 the coldest May was 8.1c in 1885, the cold May of 1996 had a mean temp of 8.8c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I remember May 1996 - was preparing for the leaving cert. Don't remember it being especially cold, whereas April of this year and May so far: I'm really struck by their awfulness. Different circumstances I suppose.

I have to disagree with you. A quote from that article -
    The very cold expectations apply to eastern parts (of UK) and near Europe rather than Ireland and western Britian
    Totally wrong, the coldest conditions this month are the further west you go and not the other way around (similar synoptics to Dec 2010)
    This is a perfect example. 20c expected in E.England today.
    http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Reurmett.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

There seems to have been more frosts this may than than juring the winter,where i live:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

ZX7R wrote: »
    There seems to have been more frosts this may than than juring the winter,where i live:rolleyes:

not surprised, Winter was warmer in Ireland than even Spain and parts of north Africa, the temperature profiles for this May even today show Ireland to be similar to the North-Western half of Scandinavia, Iceland the the southern edge of Greenland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Gonzo wrote: »
    not surprised, Winter was warmer in Ireland than even Spain and parts of north Africa, the temperature profiles for this May even today show Ireland to be similar to the North-Western half of Scandinavia, Iceland the the southern edge of Greenland.
    The ayores high will probaley be back the end of september and another crap winter:eek:
    i hope not thow...

According to Phoenix Park records which date back to 1855 the coldest May was 8.1c in 1885, the cold May of 1996 had a mean temp of 8.8c.

At Valentia, May 1979 was 0.2c colder than that of 1885 making it the coldest May on record at this station.

Top ten coolest Mays' at Valentia: (year, mean temp, D.F 61-90 average)

1979 9.3 -1.7
    1885 9.5 -1.5
    1996 9.6 -1.4
    1891 9.7 -1.3
    1967 9.8 -1.2
    1923 9.9 -1.1
    1983 9.9 -1.1
    1968 10 -1.0
    1902 10.1 -0.9
    1972 10.1 -0.9

Top ten warmest Mays' for the same:

1893 13.7 2.7
    2008 13.5 2.5
    1990 13.2 2.2
    1992 13.1 2.1
    1989 12.9 1.9
    1950 12.8 1.8
    1940 12.6 1.6
    1964 12.6 1.6
    1997 12.6 1.6
    1999 12.6 1.6

Source: http://data.giss.nasa.gov/work/gistemp/STATIONS//tmp.621039530005.1.1/station.txt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭pauldry

this may is still under 9c IMT. so its in line for a coldie.

Next week temperatures IMT wise will be 7 or 8c so the IMT will still be under 9c as we pass half month. It is usually well over 10c at this stage.

Late month looks warmer but confidence is low. June looks very warm but its too far away and stubborn lows may hang around for a bit of it.

I definitely think now that the IMT will be less than 10c or worse.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,743 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

I see as of the 14th (two weeks/almost halfway into the month) mean temp at Dublin AP is 7.5c - a full 3c below the May average for Dublin AP of 10.5c.

Advertisement