Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dual Mass Flywheel replacement cost???

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scealagam

We have the same problem on our 07 Galaxy, 85k. I've got quotes of between €900 & €1600 to get fixed. That's to replace clutch as well. Can anyone recommend decent reasonable place to get fixed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

You might want to include your approximate location so you don't get suggestions of places the opposite end of the country to where you are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 scealagam

Of course, in Dublin. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Garvan

Blackchurch Motors out by Rathcoole were recommended to me.

John there is ex-Ford with something like 17 years experience and over the phone he sounded (to a novice like me) that he knew what he was on about.

Just by the by, I didn't go out because a second opinion from a Ford dealer (we were getting it inspected under warranty) said there wasn't an issue and there have been no problems since. Fingers crossed ;)

G

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

In general are the single mass fly kits a similar weight to the dual mass fly? If it's lighter the lightened fly could potentially take a bit of getting used to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Veloce wrote: »
    In general are the single mass fly kits a similar weight to the dual mass fly? If it's lighter the lightened fly could potentially take a bit of getting used to.

I think you need to google it a bit more......

mullingar wrote: »

Why is that? Don't you know what I'm asking?

You will not notice any weight difference in the driving. DMFs are lighter but the dual weight difference is for harmonic balancing of the crankshaft.

You will not notice any weight difference in the driving. DMFs are lighter but the dual weight difference is for harmonic balancing of the crankshaft.

I've gone from a dmf to a single lightened solid flywheel. Approx half the weight, improved engine responsiveness, engine braking. Downside is that is that little trickier to drive. I was wondering if smf kits can be got that will closely match the dmfs weight.

I've gone from a dmf to a single lightened solid flywheel. Approx half the weight, improved engine responsiveness, engine braking. Downside is that is that little trickier to drive. I was wondering if smf kits can be got that will closely match the dmfs weight.

No.

I bet your engines idle is also a lot rougher too.

The whole idea of a dmf is to avoid an overweight smf. Its all down to harmonic balancing. Get the balance right with a dmf and the engine has a very smooth idle with a fast responsiveness. An overweight smf will by inertia keep the engine balanced at the expense of fuel economy and slow responsiveness.

A lightwight smf is madness, unless you are happy with a very rough idle. Just my 2cent

• Advertisement

No.

The whole idea of a dmf is to avoid an overweight smf. Its all down to harmonic balancing. Get the balance right with a dmf and the engine has a very smooth idle with a fast responsiveness. An overweight smf will by inertia keep the engine balanced at the expense of fuel economy and slow responsiveness.

A lightwight smf is madness, unless you are happy with a very rough idle. Just my 2cent

Engine idle is not too bad in terms of roughness. It does sound like a cement mixer with the clutch disengaged! I do like the lightweight flywheel though, works well with the 3.5 V6 power delivery through the gears, especially 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

Had the same problem in a 1.8 TDCI Focus, with about 65k miles on the clock. Got about 8000 miles out of it before it went completely. I was quoted £1200 by dealer for a new DMF, my local indy recommended a SMF and quoted me £600. Easy decision. I haven't noticed any difference in drive or fuel economy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

belacqua_ wrote: »
    Had the same problem in a 1.8 TDCI Focus, with about 65k miles on the clock. Got about 8000 miles out of it before it went completely. I was quoted £1200 by dealer for a new DMF, my local indy recommended a SMF and quoted me £600. Easy decision. I haven't noticed any difference in drive or fuel economy.

Well, it all depends on what year it is.
    I have an 06 1.8 TDCI Cmax and it's going in for clutch and DMF replacement.
    I was told there is no SMF kit available for my car yet, there is for earlier Fords.
    Since I got nearly 250k km out of the current setup, I'm not too worried.
    Quoted cost:
    E850 at Indy vs E1500 at Ford.
    Was also quoted one substantially lower price than the above, but since the entire job was quoted at less than what the material would have been at other places, I would tend to be skeptical. Since (I'm told) it will take two guys more than a day to do, I would think twice about putting in substandard parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,623 ✭✭✭creedp

Manuel wrote: »
    85,000 miles.

Creedp, the dashboard always tells me ~42mpg, but any time I work it out, it's invariably around 35. But that's a whole other discussion ....

Sorry for delay in responding .. I had noticed my miles per fill reducing recently so brimmed the tank twice and drove for over 550 miles before brimming again and calc mpg at 42 and 39. I think my lower lower mpg more recently relates to a pretty hard driving commute attempting to make a creche before 6.30pm closing time! Not good for mpg or sanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No.

Guys, now is not the time for dick measuring.

Op, how it all end up?

myshirt wrote: »
    Guys, now is not the time for dick measuring.

Op, how it all end up?

Very mature comment.

Right, today I got the CMax back from Martin the mechanic (very capable guy, lives near Gort and if anyone has clutch problems, PM me and I send you his details)

Old cruddy bits:

256197.jpg

256198.jpg

256199.jpg

256200.jpg

256204.jpg

I was told I definitely got all there was out of them, it was rattling, banging, shuddering and generally like a tractor. The car is transformed, smooth as silk and the clutch feels great. It cost E850 to fix and original Sachs parts where used.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Glad to hear you got sorted.

It is a massive difference when you swap out the old one isn't it? Really transforms the car.

Glad to hear you got sorted.

It is a massive difference when you swap out the old one isn't it? Really transforms the car.

From Massey Ferguson to Maserati. ;)

Glad it is sorted fuzzy. Cheers for posting the pictures as well. I will be getting the same done in the next week or two as well. I have all the rattles, clunks, clicks and bangs going so I am really looking forward to have a smooth car.

• Advertisement
Advertisement