Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to have healthy diet on €50 pw???

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Orla K wrote: »
    This is misleading; there are contradictory studies on whether it is good or bad (in many areas where a lot of work has been done you will find studies supporting both sides) and the results either way are inconclusive but the consensus is that it is bad and intake should be restricted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat_and_cardiovascular_disease_controversy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

blorg wrote: »
    This is misleading; there are contradictory studies on whether it is good or bad (in many areas where a lot of work has been done you will find studies supporting both sides) and the results either way are inconclusive but the consensus is that it is bad and intake should be restricted.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturated_fat_and_cardiovascular_disease_controversy

It really shouldn't be restricted, the studies that showed it was bad for you are badly done.

This is from El Dangeroso thread The definitive guide to saturated fat (or how to stop worrying and love butter)
    Cholesterol:

But, doesn't saturated fat raise LDL or cholesterol, the 'bad' cholesterol? Well that's not actually established, most of the trials are short-term (<12 weeks), low-quality and the results are all over the place, some show slight reductions from reducing saturated fat but they are usually poorly controlled, as in they don't take into account what they are replacing the saturated fat with and how that effected cholesterol level. In the longer term trials the association pretty much disappears when other factors are controlled for (like smoking and obesity.).

Saturated fat does consistently and reliably raise HDL cholesterol however, and unless you're crazily out of range, indicative of a serious infection, the higher the better.
    There's a crazy amount of info in there and will worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

You know what they say, extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidences. If you're going to go against the established science, you had better have some god damn good evidences to do so. All the Fred Flintstone diet crowd have is some weak sauce from a few cranks.

You know what they say, extraordinary claims requires extraordinary evidences. If you're going to go against the established science, you had better have some god damn good evidences to do so. All the Fred Flintstone diet crowd have is some weak sauce from a few cranks.

It was a 5min search and they have links on their articles to studies, if you want to believe that it's just a few cranks well then that's alright with me. I believe the 'established science' is a farce and their evidence is twisted and that's alright with me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Thomas Magnum

I believe the 'established science' is a farce and their evidence is twisted and that's alright with me too.

Why do you believe this? How is it a "farce" and how is their evidence "twisted"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

€50 on food a week? For yourself?:eek:

Jaysus man, I spend €25 a week and eat really well like a king and dont put on weight!

Get eggs, fish, meat, veg, fruit, bread and some treats. Mix it up each week. As others have said, buy yourself a basic cook book too.

You dont need to spend that much on yourself, unless your going to Stupidquinn or something!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

I have a feeling this thread is going to get interesting

*grabs popcorn*

I have a feeling this thread is going to get interesting

*grabs popcorn*

I'm afraid your going to have to put down the popcorn, I've no desire to start into an argument with someone online about stuff where I know they're going to find something to disagree with no matter how little that thing might be and will ignore any good points you make or just keep repeating their previous points.
    It's all a bit meh, why bother getting into an argument with someone who's only contribution to boards seems to be to argue. I've figured out when it comes to other people I'm only going to deal with the ones who are willing to listen, even if we don't agree, and a raw vegan on youtube made me start thinking that way. I feel healthier and happier doing my online stuff with this in mind.
    I've also learned a new word, illiberal - narrow-minded; prejudiced; bigoted; intolerant. I probably came across it somewhere before but I don't remember

And it'll completely derail the thread. And on that note, in the butchers I can get free fat, I render it(cut up and heat gently) so I have free fat to fry/roast with and now I've gotten some free bones that I'm going to make into a broth but I think that might be too advanced for the op.
    The main thing is learn to cook real food and your flying!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

€50 on food a week? For yourself?:eek:

Jaysus man, I spend €25 a week and eat really well like a king and dont put on weight!

Get eggs, fish, meat, veg, fruit, bread and some treats. Mix it up each week. As others have said, buy yourself a basic cook book too.

You dont need to spend that much on yourself, unless your going to Stupidquinn or something!

What, €25 for a weeks worth of food! I'd die from starvation, I'd eat 25 quids worth in a day. I spend about €20 per day on food shopping top ups and it does not really last.

Myself, I'm trying to build up right now. I need around 2650 cal maintenance so I'm looking at close to 2800 cal per day. No way I can do that on €25 per week on healthy food.

I can load myself up on pasta and potatoes for that and hit my cal targets but I'd end up a fat mess. Decent lean mines is €4 per pack. There is only enough for two meals in that. So for a week of lean meat that's €28 right there eating 4 meals a day, two with meat. No veg noting. My food bill would be around €120 per week and I live by myself too.

I'd love to see someones weekly food diet that's trying to build up and keep the food bill at €50. It can't be done I reckon even shopping in Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

If your looking to gain while keeping to a budget why would you be buying lots lean meat?

Whole chickens, Ham Fillets, Bacon Joint, 20% minced beef, stewing beef, pork chops, milk, eggs, butter - Proteins and fats. There is probably a deal every week on some of the above in Lidl/aldi/tesco/dunnes

Aldi super six for cheap fruit & veg or any of the supermarkets for frozen veg.

Potatoes pasta and rice are all dirt cheap too for your carb sources.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

What, €25 for a weeks worth of food! I'd die from starvation, I'd eat 25 quids worth in a day. I spend about €20 per day on food shopping top ups and it does not really last.

Myself, I'm trying to build up right now. I need around 2650 cal maintenance so I'm looking at close to 2800 cal per day. No way I can do that on €25 per week on healthy food.

I can load myself up on pasta and potatoes for that and hit my cal targets but I'd end up a fat mess. Decent lean mines is €4 per pack. There is only enough for two meals in that. So for a week of lean meat that's €28 right there eating 4 meals a day, two with meat. No veg noting. My food bill would be around €120 per week and I live by myself too.

I'd love to see someones weekly food diet that's trying to build up and keep the food bill at €50. It can't be done I reckon even shopping in Aldi or Lidl.
    Hope your eating lots of greens dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

Here's what I'd get on a typical week:

Chicken 10 breasts from butchers €10
    Tesco Tinned Mackerel 10 tins €6.50
    Tinned Tuna 4 tins €3
    Spinach + Rocket €3
    Carrots €1
    Broccoli €1
    Cauliflower €1.50
    Cherry Tomatoes €1.50
    Cucumber €1
    Mayonnaise €1 (Will do 2 weeks)
    Tesco Honey & Mustard salad dressing €1.50
    Eggs 18 (€3) 12 (€2.20)
    Cheese 500g €3.20
    Milk 2l €2

Total: €39.20 (no doubt you could get some items cheaper either!)

€10 to spare and quite healthy if I do say so myself.

Here's a list of stuff that I get too but take me a few weeks to get through:

Sunflower Oil €2
    Peanut Butter 1kg €5.50
    Almond Butter 1kg ~€11
    Butter 454g €2
    Mixed Herbs €1
    Season-All seasoning €2.20
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce €2.50 (AMAZING, goes one EVERYTHING :D )

I could be missing out a few things that I have in my stock cupboard but for the most part, €50 will allow you to eat very well!

EDIT: Just remembered you're trying to bulk up. The €10 left over will very easily buy your carbs for the week too (I'm low carb so don't buy em) and possibly extra chicken, mince or pork, whichever you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭matrim

dorgasm wrote: »
    Here's what I'd get on a typical week:

Chicken 10 breasts from butchers €10
    Tesco Tinned Mackerel 10 tins €6.50
    Tinned Tuna 4 tins €3
    Spinach + Rocket €3
    Carrots €1
    Broccoli €1
    Cauliflower €1.50
    Cherry Tomatoes €1.50
    Cucumber €1
    Mayonnaise €1 (Will do 2 weeks)
    Tesco Honey & Mustard salad dressing €1.50
    Eggs 18 (€3) 12 (€2.20)
    Cheese 500g €3.20
    Milk 2l €2

Total: €39.20 (no doubt you could get some items cheaper either!)

€10 to spare and quite healthy if I do say so myself.

Here's a list of stuff that I get too but take me a few weeks to get through:

Sunflower Oil €2
    Peanut Butter 1kg €5.50
    Almond Butter 1kg ~€11
    Butter 454g €2
    Mixed Herbs €1
    Season-All seasoning €2.20
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce €2.50 (AMAZING, goes one EVERYTHING :D )

I could be missing out a few things that I have in my stock cupboard but for the most part, €50 will allow you to eat very well!

EDIT: Just remembered you're trying to bulk up. The €10 left over will very easily buy your carbs for the week too (I'm low carb so don't buy em) and possibly extra chicken, mince or pork, whichever you fancy.

Where do you get the Almond Butter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

1 Tesco Organic Whole Cucumber €1.29 €1.29
    1 Tesco Green Seedless Class 1 Grapes Loose €4.75 €4.75
    2 New York Bakery Cinnamon And Raisin Bagels 5 Pack €1.79 €3.58
    2 Siucra Granulated Sugar500g €0.75 €1.50
    1 Uncle Bens Chilli Sauce Medium 500G €2.29 €2.29
    1 Tesco Organic Peppers 2 Pack €2.49 €2.49
    2 Tesco Organic Round Steak Mince 380G €4.99 €9.98
    1 Cracker Barrel Medium Mature Cheddar 200G €2.64 €2.64
    1 Fresh Herbs Chives 20G €1.19 €1.19
    1 Florette Crispy Salad 200G €1.49 €1.49
    1 Tesco Carrot Batons 300G €1.69 €1.69
    1 Finest Oranges 4 Pack €3.15 €3.15
    1 Tesco Salad Onions Bunch €0.79 €0.79
    1 Eat Me Bananas Pack €1.75 €1.75
    1 Moy Park Stuffedchk Thigh (Pso Uffing)502G €4.19 €4.19
    1 Avonmore Low Fatsupermilk 1.75L €1.99 €1.99
    1 Tesco Irish Lean Steak Mince 500G €3.29 €3.29
    1 Tesco Finest Beef Burgers 336G €3.59 €3.59

That's my top up shopping for this week, comes to around about €50 for 2 people (couple of the stuff I have bought 2 of are on special offer but the special offer itself isn't reflected until the shopping is actually delivered in case the offer has expired but they do advise you when placing your order when the offer expires). There is a few things missing (I'm still doing up the shopping order), the likes of milk, tea bags and sugar, they'll probably come to about €10 - these are used by the shop (customers etc.) also so that's why we go through so much of them.

By top up shopping, I mean once a month I stock up on the likes of rice, pasta and cereal, household products, toiletries, perishables and that sort of thing. A bigger shop normally comes to about €120. Normally there would be way more fruit and veggies in there but I am quite sick at the moment and not much of an appetite and himself isn't great for fruit and veggies (I'm trying to sneak them in though!) so I'd say realistically we feed two people every week for about €70 - €80 so I can definitely see how a person can feed themselves for €50. We do our shopping in Tesco, I'm sure if we shopped in Aldi/Lidl it would be even cheaper, the reason why we don't is mainly because we rely on Tesco home delivery.

That shop feeds two people nearly every meal of the day. My bf works from home so he obviously eats all his meals here and the odd time his business partner will come in for lunch or dinner so sometimes it covers 3 people. I bring my lunch with me from home so all my meals come from this shop too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,183 ✭✭✭UnknownSpecies

matrim wrote: »
    Where do you get the Almond Butter?

http://www.myprotein.com/ie/products/almond-butter

This is the stuff I get. It's a bit more expensive than I remembered hence the ~€11 ha. Still a good price though and it's delicious :)

Advertisement