Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Ward out of Olympics

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭celtictiger32

ah fvck it anyway:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

European Champion cant get a spot ? What a joke of a competition the Olympics is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

ebbsy wrote: »
    European Champion cant get a spot ? What a joke of a competition the Olympics is.

It's only a joke because he was robbed out in Turkey. The European champion has to secure their qualification place like everyone else (including the Champions of other continents) which is only fair. Yes he was unlucky losing a bout on countback (vs the Iranian) which would have put him through, but if he had legitimately lost to the Turk then I don't think there could have been any complaints.

Lets not forget Ray Moylette was a European champion aswell, should he have had an automatic spot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Big Ears wrote: »
    It's only a joke because he was robbed out in Turkey. The European champion has to secure their qualification place like everyone else (including the Champions of other continents) which is only fair. Yes he was unlucky losing a bout on countback (vs the Iranian) which would have put him through, but if he had legitimately lost to the Turk then I don't think there could have been any complaints.

Lets not forget Ray Moylette was a European champion aswell, should he have had an automatic spot ?

Yes I do think all Euro champs should have an Olympics spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,967 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Even if they subsequently do not win their National Championship the following year ?

What about other continents ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭endswell

sunday indo is a rag but anyway,

if you were flicking through what would you think the article editor is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

I still cannot understand whay Ward was not given his chance when 2 boxers i noticed boxing yesterday were ranked 38 and 40 in the world yet they were there and Joe was not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,361 ✭✭✭YouTookMyName

The euros weren't an Olympic qualifier. Harsh but the was it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

barney4001 wrote: »
    I still cannot understand whay Ward was not given his chance when 2 boxers i noticed boxing yesterday were ranked 38 and 40 in the world yet they were there and Joe was not

Because rules are rules. I would have loved to see Joe get in, but he had his chance and he lost it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭megadodge

walshb wrote: »
    Because rules are rules. I would have loved to see Joe get in, but he had his chance and he the judges lost it for him.

Let us not forget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭XenonHD70

Ive trained with joe before. he is the best and the olympic committee knows it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭Jayob10

XenonHD70 wrote: »
    Ive trained with joe before. he is the best and the olympic committee knows it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ward certainly is a superb young fighter.

He has that something extra special and I think we will see it in time.

A real shame he is not at the olympics, as he can beat anyone on his day and will do so more often than not.

He is only 18 and will certainly have his day in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

XenonHD70 wrote: »

Well, no, he is not the best. He is one of them. To be the best you must be rated as so, or you must win the WC or Olympic Gold.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Heard a brilliant story today, apparently Joe Ward and some of his British Lionheart team mates did some work with Rob McCracken (coach of the British boxing team & Carl Froch) as part of the welcome to the WSB squad.

Ward had 3 rounds of sparring with Froch and did well, held his own.

He also had 3 rounds later in the day with Tony Bellew (who has been Froch's main sparring partner and indeed has his own fight coming up) and Joe gave him a bit of a drubbing, dropping him in the process

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Heard a brilliant story today, apparently Joe Ward and some of his British Lionheart team mates did some work with Rob McCracken (coach of the British boxing team & Carl Froch) as part of the welcome to the WSB squad.

He also had 3 rounds later in the day with Tony Bellew (who has been Froch's main sparring partner and indeed has his own fight coming up) and Joe gave him a bit of a drubbing, dropping him in the process

Cool story bro. Blatantly untrue though.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭BlackRoom

You didn't, by any chance... hear this from a traveller?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

BlackRoom wrote: »
    You didn't, by any chance... hear this from a traveller?

whats the point though???

Cool story bro. Blatantly untrue though.
    you'd know

endswell wrote: »
    you'd know

I think Tony Bellew would know. https://twitter.com/TonyBellew

"I've never even met Joe Ward never mind spar with him"

People shouldn't post this stuff without sources. Idle gossip mongering.

I think Tony Bellew would know. https://twitter.com/TonyBellew

"I've never even met Joe Ward never mind spar with him"

People shouldn't post this stuff without sources. Idle gossip mongering.
    people shouldnt down other posts without sources either, youve a habit of doing that. fair enough its wrong.but ffs post the link in your first reply

• Advertisement

endswell wrote: »
    people shouldnt down other posts without sources either, youve a habit of doing that. fair enough its wrong.but ffs post the link in your first reply

Didn't see it until after my first post.

Advertisement