Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joe Ward out of Olympics

Options
  • 16-04-2012 6:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭

Joe Ward out of Olympics after being beaten by a Turkish opponent in last 16 in controversial circumstances. IABA may appeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭gene_tunney

Surely he can still qualify if the Turk wins outright?

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭wicorthered

Surely he can still qualify if the Turk wins outright?

No the Semi final opponent of the Turk will!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Home town decision?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Mick Dowling just said on RTE that the appeal is going in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Appealing the decision afaik, didnt see it or anything, but have heard it was very dodgy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Mick Dowling just said on RTE that the appeal is going in.

It will probably fall on deaf ears. This really is sickening news. Ruined my day. He's the one guy I wanted to see at the Olympics ahead of the rest of the hopefuls.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

magma69 wrote: »
    It will probably fall on deaf ears. This really is sickening news. Ruined my day. He's the one guy I wanted to see at the Olympics ahead of the rest of the hopefuls.

If Ward's surname was Lomachenko he'd win the appeal.

Sad news.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

walshb wrote: »
    If Ward's surname was Lomachenko he'd win the appeal.

Sad news.

Didn't he win an appeal over a decision at the last qualifiers? I could be wrong about that. He's the golden boy of the amateurs. Brilliant talent. Probably best p4p boxer in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Didn't he win an appeal over a decision at the last qualifiers? I could be wrong about that. He's the golden boy of the amateurs. Brilliant talent. Probably best p4p boxer in the game.

Yeah against a Brazillian in Baku, I think.
    Different story here, Joe Ward is not the name Lomachenko is and it would require throwing out a home nation boxer!

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, in a very competitive fight too. A Brazilian lad beat him by one point. Lomachenko was given two public warnings, and they reversed one of them, making him the winner. I did not agree with it. That rarely rarely happens, but he was the star of the world championships, and pressure was on I would say. Lomachenko went o to win the gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭strongback

Anyone got a link. Wards coach and the Ireland team manager aren't happy but aren't holding their breath on a reversal of the decision. They have been on the radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Can't see it being reversed.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Can't see Ward hanging around in the amateurs for another four years to be honest. Would be tragic if he didn't get to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

terrible outcome for ward and irish boxing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,403 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Can't see Ward hanging around in the amateurs for another four years to be honest. Would be tragic if he didn't get to go.

I'd be shocked if he doesn't go pro. Look at where Egan is 4 years later- don't think Joe will hang around.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭the_real_lamp

Appeal turned down, no rule broken I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭JacksonHeightsOwn

no point in Ward staying as an amateur now.

if i was Eddie Hearn id be on the first flight to Turkey to sign the lad up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I'd be shocked if he doesn't go pro. Look at where Egan is 4 years later- don't think Joe will hang around.

I'd be surprised if he did go pro to be honest

Edit: I mean right away or anytime soon

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Egan is 30, Joe Ward is still only 18... big difference.

Egan doesn't have a style that suits pro boxing. Ward does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

strongback wrote: »
    Egan doesn't have a style power that suits pro boxing. Ward does.

fixed that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Could just see Ward in with Tyson Fury, Martin Rogan et al. I can't say I saw him as a realistic medal hope- heavy hitter, but not much else that would work in amateur boxing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

He's a smart banger, he could easily have won gold. Such a pity.

fixed that

Egan is a scientific counter puncher that is perfectly suited to the the amateur scoring system. His style is not conducive to pro fighting. He steals points but that doesn't mean anything to a pro judge.

Lots of light hitters won a world title. Look no further than Maxie "Slapsie" Rosenbloom.

efb wrote: »
    Could just see Ward in with Tyson Fury, Martin Rogan et al. I can't say I saw him as a realistic medal hope- heavy hitter, but not much else that would work in amateur boxing.

1. either can i see him fighting Fury or Rogam, he's not a heavyweight yet and sure Rogan is a 100 years older :D

2. "heavy hitter, but not much else that would work in amateur boxing" - he's Euro Champ at 19 :rolleyes: go figure !! he is more suited to Pro

strongback wrote: »
    Egan is a scientific counter puncher that is perfectly suited to the the amateur scoring system. His style is not conducive to pro fighting. He steals points but that doesn't mean anything to a pro judge.

Lots of light hitters won a world title. Look no further than Maxie "Slapsie" Rosenbloom.

eh, sort of my point

eh, sort of my point

You changed my post to say Egan didn't have enough power.

Power has nothing to do with what I was talking about which is why I quoted Maxie Rosenbloom as an example.

Wayne McCullough didn't have much punching power either.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭barney4001

pro game would be Wards best option probably USA be better for him than home

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Craptacular

Billy Walsh said yesterday that Ward will be staying amateur.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭NikNak8

Read an article in yesterdays indo about Katie Taylor stating that even if she doesn't qualify she could be invited. Could this happen for JW seeing as he is Euro champ?

Advertisement