Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rose bikes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ecd11239

Ha ha! I had a similar flush of anxiety when I read the post.

No message for me either, I've ordered the X-lite CRS 3000 - no disc brakes so different fork again from both of yours.

QC issues are concerning... Hopefully there's a review of all production, better safe than dead, even if it takes an extra couple of weeks

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

ecd11239 wrote: »
    QC issues are concerning...

why? the fact that they found it before shipping would give me more confidence, i'd be most worried if there was a bunch of failures in the field

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Took mine for a spin this evening and got 8 strava pr's. I thought the weight savings would make all the difference on the climbs but it's actually on the flat where you really see the gains.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

mossym wrote: »
    why? the fact that they found it before shipping would give me more confidence, i'd be most worried if there was a bunch of failures in the field

They're also recalling recently delivered bikes;
    Rose wrote:
    Within the context of internal quality controls, our quality assurance department has found that the last product batches of the fork that is also used for your bike do not meet our high quality standards. We are going to replace all forks recently delivered and produce new forks – for the bikes already delivered and for your bike – that meet our requirements to 100%.

smacl wrote: »
    They're also recalling recently delivered bikes;

ah that's a little different then. a company whose QA found things before they ever made it out would give me a lot of confidence. if it took a couple of failures to find this then that's a different matter. course it could be there was no field failures and they are being overly cautious, again a good thing

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    ah that's a little different then. a company whose QA found things before they ever made it out would give me a lot of confidence. if it took a couple of failures to find this then that's a different matter. course it could be there was no field failures and they are being overly cautious, again a good thing

Agreed, and a company that does an expensive recall is still way ahead of one that does an "ah, sure it'll be fine" on it. Plus they've added a €50 euro voucher for anyone affected, which doesn't make up for not having the bike for a month, but is a still a nice gesture.

anyone getting the voucher should keep an eye on their store. they are one of the cheapest sources for GP4000sII, have gotten my last few sets from them, (first set was using the points from my Rose bike purchase, got 3 delivered for free)

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭sprite0

Sh1t attack here also. Xeon Team CGF 3100 coming my way in 3 weeks. Ordered mid March. The only email I want to see from Rose at this stage is that my bike will be delivered a week early.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭Fian

just got my delivery time reduced from 5 to four weeks, which at least is a positive sign that things are continuing to move along steadily.

getting very impatient for it to arrive.

Argh!!!

Delivery time was two weeks yesterday.

Jumped to four weeks today.

>.<

I am going to be away from home from the 11th of July for a holiday, now looks possible it will not arrive before we leave.

Damn damn damn, was hoping that it would arrive before the estimated date rather than later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 ecd11239

Same here, got pushed out to 6 from 5 today... I thought production might slow down over summer with people going on hols etc.
    Even though the money hasn't left my account yet it's still disappointing.

At this rate it might be better to wait til November and get the 2016 model altogether!

Mine was shipped on the 12th and is showing processed in the destination parcel center in Cologne at 23:40. Hope to have it by Thursday or Friday. 13 looooong weeks waiting.

Bike arrived today so one happy camper here. Well packaged and nothing missing. Hope to get it one the road for Sunday. Checked the weight out of curiosity and came in at 7.9 kg with pedals and two bottle cages. It's a 59cm frame in matt.

sprite0 wrote: »
    Bike arrived today so one happy camper here. Well packaged and nothing missing. Hope to get it one the road for Sunday. Checked the weight out of curiosity and came in at 7.9 kg with pedals and two bottle cages. It's a 59cm frame in matt.

pics or gtfo

Congrats on the new arrival. The correct words to the other half prior to the maiden spin are “I am just going out. I might be some time”, though hopefully you'll fare better than Oates in making it back ;)

And pics. We need pics.

Sorry. Cant post pics yet as I don't think I have enough posts yet. Maybe this one will count towards the magic 25 post minimum ?? before you can post pics.
    Can't even go on maiden spin yet. Typical, wait 10 weeks for new bike and the other half working this weekend so stuck minding the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

Out of interest what was the specified weight ? And what pedals did you get on it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭brownian

Bought a rose for my elder daughter a couple of months ago. Chose one of the ones they said they had in stock, and got it within 2 weeks.

All-105-component alu frame and carbon fork for just over a grand. Looks really good in black.

Nothing as good available in a small ladies size in the local shops.

Hi Harrington. Specified weight for a 57cm frame in shiny ud carbon/ grey was 7.1kg. Pedals are ultegra spd sl.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Congratulations on the bike, I had a look on their site, and it looks like a pretty fabulous machine, enjoy! :)

Perhaps I'm being a bit fussy, but even with ultegra spd-sl pedals and two bottle cages 800g seems a big enough difference between specified and real weight.

Say the pedals are 260g (as per specifications) and bottle cages are about 40g each (taking a very unscientific look at the first few bottle cages listing the weight on Wiggle and assuming the weight of the bottle cages is a bit higher than average), that's still only 340g. Including pedals and bottle cages this still equates to less than half the difference between 7.1kg and 7.8kg.

I'm sure Rose have an accurate scales somewhere, so I can't see how they can be that far out. The difference of approximately 460g is heavier than a standard pot of jam! Maybe I've missed something, but it seems that bike manufacturers are a bit generous to themselves on the weight front.

Maybe someone could educate me. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭lukegjpotter

I'm sure Rose have an accurate scales somewhere, so I can't see how they can be that far out. The difference of approximately 460g is heavier than a standard pot of jam! Maybe I've missed something, but it seems that bike manufacturers are a bit generous to themselves on the weight front.

Maybe someone could educate me. :o

They told me that it was the paint job, that accounted for the difference in weight.

They specify the weight for a 57cm frame. Mine is 59cm. Also I don't think they include the saddle which is approx 300g. I'm happy enough with the overall weight as much lighter than my old bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭harringtonp

They specify the weight for a 57cm frame. Mine is 59cm. Also I don't think they include the saddle which is approx 300g. I'm happy enough with the overall weight as much lighter than my old bike.

Been happy with it is the main thing. As far as I know all manufacturers include the saddle. The missing few hundred grams is probably mostly made up by the larger frame and paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Smokeyskelton

Hi Sprite0,

I didn't realise that the quoted weight was for a smaller size. Nor that the saddle was not included (I would have thought it was part of the "package"). That would certainly account for much of the difference or even all of it.

It's still a very light bike, and I'm sure you will love it. It looks pretty cool alright. :cool:

Hi Lukegjpotter,

You would not think that paint could make such a difference, but I suppose it could depending on thickness etc.

It's not something that keeps me awake at night (not much anyway). It just seems to me that the actual weight should be the same as or very close to claimed weight. Obviously if there are customer substitutions or additions e.g. tyres or mudguards, this would make a difference, but for stock bikes the actual weight should be the same as the claimed weight for a specific frame size (taking account of pedals, bottle cages etc). After all the bikes are supposed to be so precisely engineered.

Maybe I'm just a cock-eyed optimist dreaming of a Panglossian world where everything is as it should be. You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one. ;)

I can't remember if I seen it on this or another forum but I believe up to 350g difference between painted and bare carbon frame.. Seems plausible if you consider 1 aerosol pain can containing 400ml of paint weighs 400g. Got a quick 32k loop in last night and felt a big difference from my old Trek 2.5 which is no bad bike. Big improvement in comfort and just seems to get up to speed much quicker.

Fian wrote: »
    Argh!!!

Delivery time was two weeks yesterday.

Jumped to four weeks today.

>.<

I am going to be away from home from the 11th of July for a holiday, now looks possible it will not arrive before we leave.

Damn damn damn, was hoping that it would arrive before the estimated date rather than later.

Nice news today - bike is prepared for shipping and I am told I can expect it during the course of next week. Was 3 weeks yesterday, now dropped down to one.

that delivery date has been bouncing in and out a few times but now it looks like I am nearly ready to roll :) . It has been 2 months since i ordered it but i feels like much longer. At one point my estimated delivery date had jumped out to 13 weeks which would at the time have brought me to the end of August.

There are currently 7 bikes in our garden shed - only two of them are mine rest of them belong to the kids. Will now have the pleasant dilemma of deciding whether to keep my existing two or sell one to make room. And if I sell one whether to sell the hybrid I commute on or my existing cheap road bike, which would probably do fine for the commute. One of the kids has a bmx as well as his real bike, it's never used maybe I should just get rid of that. Or buy another shed that is secure enough to safely store my new Rose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭omri

Fian wrote: »
    There are currently 7 bikes in our garden shed - only two of them are mine rest of them belong to the kids. Will now have the pleasant dilemma of deciding whether to keep my existing two or sell one to make room. And if I sell one whether to sell the hybrid I commute on or my existing cheap road bike, which would probably do fine for the commute. One of the kids has a bmx as well as his real bike, it's never used maybe I should just get rid of that. Or buy another shed that is secure enough to safely store my new Rose.

Just build a bigger shed...

You need to seriously consider rule #12. Correct number of bikes is n + 1 etc.

Currently you own 2 so 2 + 1 = 3. Your new rose now satisfies the rule. However when it comes 3 + 1 = you need to get an extra very secure shed just for the bikes.

Can i ask a quick question of those who have received a bike form rose?

they come with a "bike box" which I assume is cardboard. I am wondering if this could be used to transport bike by air? Since i will be getting one next week and heading to gran canaria shortly thereafter.

Very disinclined to risk my lovely new bike before I even get to take it for a few spins though. Have not looked at cost etc. yet either. Just exploring options since i will have received it in packaging designed to ship internationally next week.

Would these boxes be safe to load it onto a commercial plane?

edit: Also is there any way to track teh shipping of the bike? Mine is marked as shipping status "in process" I am just wondering if i can track when it arrives in dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭youtheman

Regarding the bike box. Our club goes away every summer, and all the lads either use a cardboard box of a soft shell bag. The logic is that they can all be packed flat and put into the back of a support van. Your bike will come in the box from Germany, so why can't you use it to put back on a plane going on your holidays. There is an assumption (rightly or wrongly) that the baggage handlers are more inclined to take care of a cardboard box compared to a 'bullet proof' hard shell case.

Only thing I would suggest is liberal use of 'bubble wrap' of foam pipe insulation on the frame.

Advertisement