Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UBUNTU smartphone is in development!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

Khannie wrote: »
    Honestly I would say this will blow the firefox OS out of the water, unfortunately.

I think they are more so gunning for the lowest powered phones available.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

shizz wrote: »
    I think they are more so gunning for the lowest powered phones available.
    i would say the complete opposite

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

bpb101 wrote: »
    i would say the complete opposite

I'm talking about the Firefox OS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

This looks amazing, I'm sold on this not just for phones but there are so many possiblities, striaght away would love to wipe Android 2.1 off my old "not supported" tablet, wonder what the performance would be like.

shizz wrote: »
    I'm talking about the Firefox OS.
    well , i read that post wrong haha

• Advertisement

After seeing some videos of it at CES.

My contract for the iphone is finished in 6 months and this will be my next phone, I'm constantly thinking at what I can do on it, it will truly be a computer in your pocket.

Is there a phone available that has a docking station w/ mouse, keyboard and monitor connections etc.

This is the only one I could find, w/mini usb and full sized HDMI, only issue is it's a sony.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

JJJJNR wrote: »
    This is the only one I could find, w/mini usb and full sized HDMI, only issue is it's a sony.
    Which phones did the use in those Ubuntu for android videos from last year?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Is there a phone available that has a docking station w/ mouse, keyboard and monitor connections etc.

Yeah, motorola have one. Can't remember the name. It's pricey enough though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Can you imagine? No more bringing laptop into work, just bring your phone.

Im sold on this too. I don't understand the people saying they are too late to the party.

As for the argument that it will take them too long to develop an appstore, is there anyone running Ubuntu on this thread? Can you do an "apt-cache search | wc -l" and post up the figure for us?

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭timbyr

I've gotten decent experience out of my Galaxy Nexus using an MHL adapter and bluetooth mouse and keyboard.

I am pretty annoyed that Google didn't include MHL in the Nexus 7 though.

Only issue I can see is ubuntu's hardware acceleration is very poor, so running a html5 rdp client to a VDI might be slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭hooplah

I'm excited about the idea of Ubuntu on the phone - basically becaue it should allow for a huge amount of modification and customisation.

I'm more dubious about the hardware periphals and using it as a desktop or laptop replacement though. Are there docking stations that will work with different models of phones? What type of connection do they typically use? If I wanted to use this at home or work would everyone who used it need to have the same model phone?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

syklops wrote: »
    As for the argument that it will take them too long to develop an appstore, is there anyone running Ubuntu on this thread? Can you do an "apt-cache search | wc -l" and post up the figure for us?
    paul@vila:~$ apt-cache stats
    Total package names: 47946 (959 k)

I'm not likely to go for this. I tried for a long time to cope with Unity, but I eventually gave up and installed Fedora 17 on the laptop, and I can see it ending up on my main desktop very soon.

I'll be curious to see how it goes down in the real world, though.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    paul@vila:~$ apt-cache stats
    Total package names: 47946 (959 k)

I'm not likely to go for this. I tried for a long time to cope with Unity, but I eventually gave up and installed Fedora 17 on the laptop, and I can see it ending up on my main desktop very soon.

I'll be curious to see how it goes down in the real world, though.

Funnily enough I am also a Fedora user and would love to see fedora on a phone. There is a small group of devs doing work on ARM for Fedora, and a former colleague ran Fedora on his tablet so I can see it happening in the future. Im hoping that whatever work Canonical do by way of it working on phones can be easily replicated for Fedora.

Im also a KDE user and there is a KDE project to get KDE onto a tablet, so Im looking forward to the day when I can use Fedora and KDE on my phone, tablet(when I get one), laptop and desktop.

Once I can do that, then I will build a centralised backup solution(essentialy encrypt /home and store it on a cloud), which will allow me to access all my content on all my devices. The future is bright!

edit: With regard to the repository stats, practically every package also has a -devel and and -libs package, so divide that number by 3 to get a slightly more accurate idea of how many applications are in the repository.

It seems I got my threads confused a bit. There is another thread in the android forum where people are being a lot less positive than here, and it was one of those comments I was responding to.

i use ubuntu , love it ,

Fedora are in a mess, 3 months back dated.
    You may have not like their chose, but it was all set up for touch.
    Weather you agree or not , i think it was the right chose as so to develop on mobile ect.

Canonical and ubuntu haven't missed a date. You must give them credit for that.

at 11.04 mark told us that he will have 200 million people running ubuntu by 2015 You must say that although laughed at , hes putting a good fight for it.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I'm not trying to be down on Ubuntu; just making the point that it no longer suits my requirements. I mean, the first thing I've done on every Ubuntu install over the past year or so is install Gnome Shell so I don't have to use Unity, but I also always have to disable those straight-from-the-smoking-pit-of-Hades invisible scrollbars.

The other issue I have with Ubuntu is that I don't think I've had a successful desktop distribution upgrade for several years now, to the extent that I put off and off upgrading until I eventually give up, back up my files and settings, re-install from scratch and set about rebuilding my old environment. I'll be curious to see how well Fedora upgrades work.

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭human 19

hooplah wrote: »
    I'm excited about the idea of Ubuntu on the phone - basically becaue it should allow for a huge amount of modification and customisation.

I'm more dubious about the hardware periphals and using it as a desktop or laptop replacement though. Are there docking stations that will work with different models of phones? What type of connection do they typically use? If I wanted to use this at home or work would everyone who used it need to have the same model phone?

I assume that docking adapters will quickly be made available.

Here's another demo vid, similar to the 6 min one from Mark

^ Great demo expect the camera man was the wrost ive ever seen , he cut off jono head for most of it while he was talking.

Making me want to buy it more...

• Advertisement

so somebody backed it , it looks. Either that or theres going to be a lot of late nights of mark buying nexus and changing the os himself Either way there ready for October. OMG ubuntu has the story.

http://blogs.wsj.com/cio/2013/02/06/ubuntu-smartphone-shipping-in-october/
    "He [mark] said the operating system has drawn interest from carriers as well, many of which are eager to break up the smartphone market hegemony of Apple and Google. Mr. Shuttleworth declined to identify carrier or handset partners."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

upcoming tablet looks good, nice integration with ubuntu phone

Come on Fedora. You can do it.

Advertisement