Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardaí to receive pursuit driving training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

I think this thread should be renamed 'Garda' recieves pursuit driving training.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

I can't see why a Garda without emergency driving training would be any different. As long as he knows his own limits and those of his car.

you should reread the entire thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭WilcoOut

pa990 wrote: »
    If only you really knew

oh but i do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Will there be any legal requirement for these pursuit trained drivers to possess a valid driving licence!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

foggy_lad wrote: »
    Will there be any legal requirement for these pursuit trained drivers to possess a valid driving licence!

Why would there not be? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

foggy_lad wrote: »

No actually, A garda can drive any vehicle in the course of his duties, even if he/she does not have a licence for that class of vehicle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

No actually, A garda can drive any vehicle in the course of his duties, even if he/she does not have a licence for that class of vehicle.

And that statement there is why a lot of us "civilians" get so pissed off about the Gardai, you get no training in how to drive a vehicle but you can drive it anyway.

If I try that I get arrested even though I have the same amount of training. Until ye get this changed there is always going to be suspicions and anger over the Gardai driving skills

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭mcgarrett

And that statement there is why a lot of us "civilians" get so pissed off about the Gardai, you get no training in how to drive a vehicle but you can drive it anyway.

If I try that I get arrested even though I have the same amount of training. Until ye get this changed there is always going to be suspicions and anger over the Gardai driving skills

That requires a change in legislation quietsailor, and the Gardai are not the legislators.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭quietsailor

mcgarrett wrote: »
    That requires a change in legislation quietsailor, and the Gardai are not the legislators.

But that means nothing to me - all civilians ie non-judicial/non-garda people lump ye all in together, your the justice system/the government. All we know is that you - the Gardai - are allowed to drive unlicenced and we - the civilians - aren't. I now know, but what good is that, the vast majority of people are still pissed off.

To stop us being annoyed you need to do one of 2 things;
    1. A massive advertising campaign to let all civilians know it's the Dail that is at fault as the legislation needs changing.
    2. Stop the practice of unlicenced Gardai driving.

Which do you think will be easier to sell?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭pah

Really? I didnt know that.

While it may be legislated for it's not something that I have seen in nearly 7 years and 3 different stations.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

They may be exempt in the law but I can guarantee you that In work they are only allowed drive a vehicle for which they themselves hold a license.

Absolutely No Gardai are out driving patrol cars / motorbikes / vans or hgv's without a license.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

pah wrote: »
    Really? I didnt know that.

While it may be legislated for it's not something that I have seen in nearly 7 years and 3 different stations.

Not surprised. Its for if you seize a vehicle, in theory you can drive it back to the station.
    But thats what tow trucks are for...

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

WilcoOut wrote: »
    dont you know it!

The gra will get it revoked i bet, so that you wont have the veterans whinging,

rather than move forward, we'll be stifled and kept in the dark ages

I'm so glad I joined a proper Police Service. o.O

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

Turner wrote: »
    They may be exempt in the law but I can guarantee you that In work they are only allowed drive a vehicle for which they themselves hold a license.

Absolutely No Gardai are out driving patrol cars / motorbikes / vans or hgv's without a license.

100%
    The legislation exists for ease of duty ie if a vehicle is causing an obstruction following an accident, or simply has to be moved from a to b for whatever reason the Gardai are licenced by nature of the job to move it, you will not see a Garda driving any vehicle without a driving course of some description, except in the case of cars under 2L which is covered under chiefs authorisation, and you don't get that without a full clean irish driving licence, and even that is being brought up to speed now and chiefs auth will be phased out, so all Garda vehicles on the road will be trained drivers...

So all in all a rant for nothing quietsailor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭Terrontress

I think the best way forward is to make a full driving license a prerequisite of the job although I suppose there might still need to be covered as a Garda might need to move a vehicle that their car license does not cover them to drive.

I think the anger comes in like in the case where a Garda who is unlicensed is driving to court in his own car and knocks down a pedestrian, killing her. Because he is on his way to court he is exempted from the requirement to have a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭d3exile

I think the best way forward is to make a full driving license a prerequisite of the job although I suppose there might still need to be covered as a Garda might need to move a vehicle that their car license does not cover them to drive.

I think the anger comes in like in the case where a Garda who is unlicensed is driving to court in his own car and knocks down a pedestrian, killing her. Because he is on his way to court he is exempted from the requirement to have a license.

Has never and will never happen, and it wouldn't be covered as using the vehicle for duty, he'd be prosecuted as any one else who had no licence...

I think people are really over reacting to the licencing issue... Categorically guards will not drive a vehicle unless they have a licence to drive a car under 2.0L or a pretty detailed driving course for anything bigger...

The legislation only exists for use when there is no other option for something that simply must be done, im only 7years in the job but I have never seen or heard of a member driving a vehicle when he wasn't licenced to for more than 3 or 4 meters ie moving it to the side of the road.... And I don't ever expect to

Advertisement