Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Storm Tuesday 17th April

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭eimearos

Sunny here in Waterford this morning but can see a lot of cloud in the distance and wind starting to pick up again. Was an eventful night howling winds and a lot of rain kept me awake til about 4 this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Danno wrote: »
    They are hours ahead of us you know... its afternoon in Russia! Bound to be warmer!
    'fraid not. It has nothing to do with the time of day, it's all about distance from the sea - very cold winters, warm summers and very short springs and autumns are the characteristics of a continental climate.

I think Danno was joking...... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Min wrote: »
    Is that a squall line forming on the latest radar?

Passed through few miles south of Nenagh around midday. Fairly minor but that's not to say it'll be like that all along the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭lolie

Just passed overhead here aswell. Short sharp shower but nothing compared to last nights squall.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

2 sferics in west cork. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭diceyd

finglas,skys absolutley black,wind picking up small bit

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Heavy rain and gusts of wind in Dublin 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

it looks like the really heavy stuff is heading towards North Co. Dublin and will miss the city. :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Only got the tail end of that shower here. 0.8mm

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭MiNdGaM3

Hail shower in Cork at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Heavy showers Newcastle Dublin

Sferic off Arklow coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Looking at the net weather radar, I'm seeing hooks on a lot of the showers. As the storm centre is getting closer and winds are becoming more cyclonic variable, is it possible that the showers are beginning to develop rotation?

Or am I just seeing things???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭blackius

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Sferic off Arklow coast.
    Didn't notice anything other than an almighty hail storm.

Turning very gusty in Cork the last hour or so. Air pressure down to 993hPa

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Turning very gusty in Cork the last hour or so. Air pressure down to 993hPa

My somewhat sheltered anemometer caught a 40kmh @16:03 :) bet it would have knocked one over if out in it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Here in Waterford City we had a heavy hail shower around lunchtime. Temp dropped from 10.3c to 5.9c in 20 mins.

gbee wrote: »
    My somewhat sheltered anemometer caught a 40kmh @16:03 :) bet it would have knocked one over if out in it.

Would love to have the space for a proper weather station here. Will be moving in June, hopefully to somewhere outside the city, so I might be able to get some use out of one then!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Calm here in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Obs at K4 buoy show that centre has recently passed overhead with a steady weakening trend for SW winds then NE at 15z (1600h). Pressure has levelled out near 975 mbs.

Most intense phase of the storm now likely to peak in the southwest, watch out for some gusts above 50 knots, while places north of Galway Bay should begin to see the backing wind and gradual weakening to 15-30 knots. These developments will be delayed until evening or as late as midnight further southeast with the track of the centre likely to be something like Mace Head to Laois, then either across Wexford or Waterford into the sea en route to a U.K. landfall in south Wales and/or Somerset.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,434 ✭✭✭fepper

raining fulltime here in kerry now,up to this just showers,wind speed picking up a bit,hopefully it wont be 2 bad

3 of mine from earlier.

200854.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,140 ✭✭✭highdef

Nice one...was that the big shower that went over north Dublin?

highdef wrote: »
    Nice one...was that the big shower that went over north Dublin?

Yup the one the passed just to the north that looked like a hook on radar.

Needle funnel or scud.. you decide :)

200871.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Some huge white waves out in Donegal bay at the moment.
    Still relatively calm here though.

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Needle funnel or scud.. you decide :)

Can you link to a higher resolution pic?

MiNdGaM3 wrote: »
    Can you link to a higher resolution pic?

Here ya go http://www.flickr.com/photos/41948286@N02/7087831861/sizes/l/in/photostream/

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭CB19Kevo

All calm in South Keery currently.
    Wind 14.8 km/h, rain 18.3 (24)
    Very much up and down all day, Nothing too dramatic.

• Advertisement

The temperature in Cork is down to 8.8C, and air pressure is at 986hPa. The wind appears to have eased very slightly though...

Advertisement