Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Colm O'Rourke's views on Education!

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I didn't want to start another thread but thought it might interest people to know that the following quote is taken from the latest OECD report on education:

"The salaries of teachers and other education staff account for the largest proportion of current expenditure in all countries. In OECD countries, expenditure on compensation accounts for an average of 79% of current expenditure on primary, secondary and post-secondary non-tertiary education combined." pg 274

So despite what the media and Ruairi quinn would have you believe the fact that 80% of the budget (also disputed as incorrect but that's addressed in a previous post) would still not even bring us out of line with Europe.

That wouyldn't surprise me. I imagine in any business or industry the highest cost is always staff, not least because it's a recurring cost. What these people who criticise that fact in education expect the largest part of the cost to be is beyond me - blackboards maybe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

Blackboards gave me a laugh rofl!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

From educationposts:
    Figures are from comptroller and auditor general report for office of minister for education 2009. Info from pages 317 to 344.

"Primary Level
    Teachers' Salaries: €2,105,660,000
    Other Salaries: €303,631,000
    Pensions: €458,171,000
    Total Pay and Pensions: €2,867,462,000

2nd Level
    Teachers' Salaries: €1,282,934,000
    Other Salaries: €47,393,000
    Pensions: €327,090
    Total Pay and Pensions: €1,657,417,000

Total Expenditure on Education: €8,776,215,000

This means that Primary level pay and pensions are 33% of total budget, and 2nd level pay and pensions are 19% of the total. Combined, pay and pensions across primary and secondary levels account for 52% of the education budget.
    I haven't included 3rd level, because the accounts don't show figures for salaries and superannuation, the amounts are listed as grants etc, but if the 80% figure being used in the media were correct, 3rd level pay and pensions would have to come to 28% of the total the total education budget, or €2,457,340,200. This is actually greater than the total current spend on 3rd level, so it is simply not possible to hit the "target" of 80%, as far as I can make out. "

Is the salary of Ho Chi Quinn paid from the DES budget?Funny how it gets glosssed over that Fás or whatever it is called now is also part of th DES budget now too.

Advertisement