Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interval training

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

I do 3 of the 4 runs in a week at lunch too. make sure you have everything set to go, sometimes even sneak off and get changed in the jacks a little beforehand under your work clothes. A preprepared sandwich or similar will always save time too. I can just about squeeze a 45min run, shower and eat in the hour lunch. But if anything disturbs that im late back so planning ahead is key.

That said the hour lunch here isnt all that strict as i clock in/out and the time beyond the hour is just taken from the flexi time which is always north of 0 anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Bambaata wrote: »
    I do 3 of the 4 runs in a week at lunch too. make sure you have everything set to go, sometimes even sneak off and get changed in the jacks a little beforehand under your work clothes. A preprepared sandwich or similar will always save time too. I can just about squeeze a 45min run, shower and eat in the hour lunch. But if anything disturbs that im late back so planning ahead is key.

That said the hour lunch here isnt all that strict as i clock in/out and the time beyond the hour is just taken from the flexi time which is always north of 0 anyway

Not a filthy civil servant.................imagine being one of them;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

+1 I have an hour for lunch too and if uber efficient I can get changed, run 45 mins, shower scoff a sandwich and be back at my desk on the hour. If I get delayed at all I either skip the run or run a couple of kms less.

Like Bambaata said you have to have a plan of attack. I've often stuck my gear on under my work clothes too. I have the exact same gear routine every time. The route and session is always planned. I have a 2 minute shower and eat half my lunch. I eat the other half an hour later when I can get a few minutes peace.

40-45 mins is a nice slot to do some quality work too. I'll get 2*15 minutes sweetspot reps done today with 3 minutes rest. I'll just have a shorter warm up and cool down than I'd ordinarily like which matter little

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

I was just asking if I understood you right in the advice you gave earlier in post #10.
    and I tried to reply asking if one can answers such a question as for some people its a no for others a yes .

that was actually a serious question ! as i see a correlations that those people believe that a few 400m intervals make them really fast in triathlon that those people also buy the lightest shoes and most expensive bikes..
    they seem to look what the pros have and the they read the pro did a 400m interval session.....
    what they often seem to forget is that the pros trained 10 years to get there. and usually have 5 % body fat.

to reply some other stuff from various people.

what people should be asking themselves is what will be the most needed pace or intensity I will be racing at and this is an intensity where most triathletes cant really go wrong .
    running a 10 k race in a tri is closer to running a marathon ( ironically the fastest ITU guys run as fast off bike or a bit slower the as the top Marathon runner,in a marathon ) than running a 5 k road race.

the lady that won rotterdan marathon run 16,20min 5 k splits.....

the question is not as much how fast you are, its more how long you can hold a given pace.
    running 400m (about 30 sec rest ) 200m (2o sec rest) 200 m 20 sec rest at 10 k olympic level 10 k pace can be a very good set but you need to do loads of reps not 1 or 2 . but it teaches you to run at operational speed not dream speed .

if your flat out 400s transfer into fast multisport runs happy days, if not you need to look for a change.

and there is an ironman coach that does pretty much year in year out 30 x 800 for his Ironman athlete the guess of the what pace is yours ( all I can say its slower than 10k oly pace ;-0........ so even 800 s can be a very good ' interval ' set.

The big problem with giving out sessions is what is good for 1 person can be bad for the other person ,one always needs to understand why they are doing the session.
    there is a good book by pete pfitiznger called road racing for serious runners ( i hope thats what it is called ) and that gives a good idea what what training actually helps to achieve, I read it about 6-7 years ago and its a good entry. its still sold .http://www.humankinetics.com/products/all-products/road-racing-for-serious-runners

this is all I can add.
    with the only other advice dont read triathlon magazines.

Asking myself why on earth did I start to answer this tread Knowing da,n well that hose things always get out of hand . and there is so so many ways that can work .

and again sorry for saying its a waste of time, as no training is a waste of time, even if I honestly think that session is a waste of time
    in the context you use it , it can be a great auxiliary run, but if its called a interval session (for which you had asked opinions) its not a interval session in my eyes for triathlon.
    elvis to answer your private message the answer is. yes

\ps as for brick session as much as i love them but they really only make a scientifiacally proven difference for the first 1- 1,5 k running of the bike (check pub med ) I would use them for something different than running faster of the bike.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

peter kern wrote: »
    and there is an ironman coach that does pretty much year in year out 30 x 800 for his Ironman athlete the guess of the what pace is yours ( all I can say its slower than 10k oly pace ;-0........ so even 800 s can be a very good ' interval ' set.

What? :eek:

I'm still trying to pluck up the courage to do a 10x1k set. :D

• Advertisement

Tara Nolan few years ago did
    did 16 x 1 k off a 4 or 5 hour bike ;-)

great set for getting mentally strong ...........

Tara Nolan few years ago did
    did 16 x 1 k off a 4 or 5 hour bike ;-)

great set for getting mentally strong ...........

Christ. Sounds like I need to toughen up!

dont copy sessions out off context, its never worse it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Not a filthy civil servant.................imagine being one of them;)

nah im not. it was implemented here as we work Saturdays and Sundays in some months. Traditionally we got paid overtime but now we are forced to take the days off (work in Croker so have to work a fair few matchdays)

Wish i was one of them. This flexi time is a pain, overtime was worth about 20% of total annual pay to me in previous years!

nah im not. it was implemented here as we work Saturdays and Sundays in some months. Traditionally we got paid overtime but now we are forced to take the days off (work in Croker so have to work a fair few matchdays)

Wish i was one of them. This flexi time is a pain, overtime was worth about 20% of total annual pay to me in previous years!

I have flexi but might lose it if i change job in the next while. It will mean no more commuting and i could cycle/run to work:)

• Advertisement

dont copy sessions out off context, its never worse it.

Don't worry. There's no fear of me doing a 5 hour bike never mind running 16x1k off it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

that was actually a serious question ! as i see a correlations that those people believe that a few 400m intervals make them really fast in triathlon that those people also buy the lightest shoes and most expensive bikes..

Oh I agree with you here! Just didnt understand the statement.

Using myself as example I know losing 500g off my body weight will make me much faster than worrying about getting a shoe 30g lighter. Same goes for the bike & wheels.

Thanks for the input on the training. Its appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Everyone must be out doing intervals at lunchtime.

I'm just back !!!

Right time was tight but this is what i did and i enjoyed it more and think its a better direction to go in it was just shy of 7k in total.

700M warm up & stretches

Further 500M warm up

1k at 4:55 min/km
    400M rec ( 7min/km )
    1k at 4:55
    400M rec
    1k at 4:55
    400M rec

1.5k at 6min/km warm down

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

Some good advice here lads, looks like my 400 on 200 off wont cut it, heading out running now (on lunch break) as i'm working nights, I prefer a long warm up ~20 mins so plan to do 20 mins warm up then prob 1k on 500m off x3 or 4 depending on time...and warm down

Advertisement