Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interval training

Options
  • 12-04-2012 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Right i've avoided this until now but tried it this even as part of a 6k run.

500m warm up
    1.5k at 5.25 min/km
    200m on - 200 off x5 for 2k
    1.5k at 5.75 min/km
    500m warm down

It was an after thought so i just did 200m flat out, 200m recovery.

Did i do it right ? If i was doing a pure interval session would it be 500m warm up X intervals and 500m warm down.

Any help, thoughts or advice ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

I'd suggest a much longer warm-up.

My interval session this week looked like;

2km warm up at 6:00min/km pace
    10 x (400m @4:20min/km pace, 200m 9:00 min/km walk)
    5 min cooldown.

I started off with 6 intervals a fair few weeks ago and have built up to 10 although I'm being a bit more realistic about my pace these days as I used to run them <4:00 min km pace. The rest time is slightly longer than the intense part.

Good article here --> http://www.coolrunning.com.au/expert/1997c005.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

My lap is 6k so I could push the warm up to 1k ?

My flat out was 4 to 4:30 and recovery was 7 to 7 to 7:30.

If I can do

1k warm up
    5 sets of 200/200
    1k good pace
    2 sets 250/250
    1k warm down

That would be my 6k and I'd be happy with that twice a week for a few weeks to build.

Here was today's interval session. Thoughts or feedback would be great.

700m warm up and stretchs
    1.4k at 5:40 per km
    250 on/off X 5 at 3:40 and 7:20
    1.8K warm down at roughly 5:50 per km.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Last night I did:

2k warm up at HM pace
    Some dynamic stretching and drilsl, high knees, bum kicks
    4 x 5mins at sub 5k pace (just a bit faster) with 90secs recovery
    2k and a bit to cool down

Stretch and grid rolling at home.

Over the next couple of weeks I'll increase the intervals (4 x 6mins) and reduce the recovery (60 secs) and then go 5 x 5mins with 60 secs.

In mid May I'll start with more tempo based work for 10k racing & pacing.

For me the pacing rather than distance covered is more important (until it's time to update SBR challenge ;))

PS the longer reps suit me for building lactic acid tolerance rather than pure explosive speed. I'm built more for endurance than speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Here was today's interval session. Thoughts or feedback would be great.

700m warm up and stretchs
    1.4k at 15:40 per km
    250 on/off X 5 at 3:40 and 7:20
    1.8K warm down at roughly 15:50 per km.

great swim set ;-0

what do you want to get out of this session
    whats 10k pb
    whats the race goal
    how many hours do you train a week
    injury problems
    how much more time
    how tired where you before the session how tired after how tired the next day

• Advertisement

what do you want to get out of this session - Increase speed and weight loss

whats 10k pb - Actually i stick to 5k + 8k and that 25:12 & 41:34

whats the race goal - Sub 24 for 5k + sub 40 for 8k

how many hours do you train a week - Depends on "life" but i'd say 5. I'd like to get that up but as i said life gets in the way.

injury problems - Touch wood very little, orthotics cleared up lower leg probelms. Other than that i that gets me are chest infections.

how much more time -Available time to train is my problem with life getting in the way. I try to mainly run at lunch ( 10k is the time limit ) and longer at the weekend. Swim is in the evening when kids are in bed and cycle is one evening and weekend.

how tired where you before the session how tired after how tired the next -Honestly i'm always tired. I commute 17 hrs a week, two young kids, two jobs and trying to fit this in as well.

at your level best average is the most important you dont have the time , you feel tired, best average gets good results
    speed kills.... easy = waste of time ;-0

1250 m of work......waste of time and you recover way longer than effort

you have lunchtime 10m easy and then run 2x12,5-15min at best average pace ie way out and back is the same distance not easy but you cant be slower for 2nd effort 3-5 min rest in between goal to reduce rest .
    ps somebody that trains 20 h a week is also always tired ;-0
    but you dont do recovery weeks you have nothing to recover from ;-0

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭littlemsfickle

peter kern wrote: »
    at your level best average is the most important you dont have the time , you feel tired, best average gets good results
    speed kills.... easy = waste of time ;-0

1250 m of work......waste of time and you recover way longer than effort

you have lunchtime 10m easy and then run 2x12,5-15min at best average pace ie way out and back is the same distance not easy but you cant be slower for 2nd effort 3-5 min rest in between goal to reduce rest .
    ps somebody that trains 20 h a week is also always tired ;-0
    but you dont do recovery weeks you have nothing to recover from ;-0

I find this pretty confusing - what does 2x12, 5-15 mins mean? And how do you work out your "best average"?

2 x12.5 - 15min means depending on the day, fitness , time
    you do either 2 x 12,5 min reps or 2 x 15 min intervals or anything in between
    there is many ways to do that but for the OP lets just keep it simple.and dont try to think too much especially the OP can deal with every single sec rest in his life to relax as he is already tired without training.

and if you must use a pb3 garmin ;-0 go out and back and cover the same distance out and back plus minus 50m ( preferably with side wind or a 400m-1k loop. how could those Irish marathon runner be so much faster in the 80s without a garmin .......
    the rest I will answer you privately as 2-15 is not the best for you.
    and you need the tread mil.

thank you
    and enjoy your training

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭duffyshuffle

Wow, way to talk down to people with less than 50 posts on the forum.

Do you need a ladder to get down of your lofty perch ?

I'm tired because of everything thing else in my life, not training. I'm not getting into it but that comment was well out of order.

Personally i don't consider 1250m a waste of time as its a lot better than sitting on the couch scratching my back side and its part of 6k, should i be doing 60k so its "not a waste of time"

So what if i use a garmin, should i do it barefoot and naked beacuse thats how it was done before clothes were invented ?????

Remember this forum is for all types of users, beginners to those who have done ironman and other ultra events. Perhaps you shoould think of this before you comment and ;-0

Oh and i'm going to do 30 legths of the pool doing, should i or is that a waste of time also ?

Bit of an over reaction. He was saying forget the smaller harder intervals, do 25-30minutes of steadier work per run instead of the harder work you were doing which kills you without gaining much fitness. (as far as I read in to it)

Bit of an over reaction. He was saying forget the smaller harder intervals, do 25-30minutes of steadier work per run instead of the harder work you were doing which kills you without gaining much fitness. (as far as I read in to it)

Thats what you think, i read it differently and stand by what i wrote.

fact is that the Irish marathon runner in the late 80is where faster
    there is a black an white to prove that.

People always listen what they want hear to but duffyshuffle hears what i said..
    I asked questions, I see how much you can run, i see your fitness, I see you time constraints and tiredness and reply.

the 2nd post was for little miss frickle who has a podium at Irish senior champs, and no doubt, the talent to win Irish champs.

Peter, if I understand you properly you are saying longer intervals at tempo pace are a better path to race results than all-out short course running repeats? (200-800m)

Also if doing an out and back run, to use your Garmin (I prefer Polar, 2 year warranty, accurate HRM....) so that you run a negative split coming back with more effort and a quicker time than the first half of the session?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

When I started intervals, I started with 800 metres, say x 2 with 90 seconds rest. I then increased the reps to 5. Then I increased the distance to 1km and did 2 reps and built it up again. Worked for me and my times shot up. I usually do a short warm up of 2km, and then 2km home. I’ve since increased the speed of intervals and build the reps back up again.

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    When I started intervals, I started with 800 metres, say x 2 with 90 seconds rest. I then increased the reps to 5. Then I increased the distance to 1km and did 2 reps and built it up again. Worked for me and my times shot up. I usually do a short warm up of 2km, and then 2km home. I’ve since increased the speed of intervals and build the reps back up again.

Thats what i hope to do is increase the distance as the place i was doing them is 500m long as i hope to stretch mine out to 500m as my fitness increases but at the moment that's not possible. I hope to add 50m a week to get up to 500m while decreasing the recovery time.

I've spoken to Peter and we've sorted all out. I've deleted my comments and we can move forward ( in intervals;) )

Peter, if I understand you properly you are saying longer intervals at tempo pace are a better path to race results than all-out short course running repeats? (200-800m)

Also if doing an out and back run, to use your Garmin (I prefer Polar, 2 year warranty, accurate HRM....) so that you run a negative split coming back with more effort and a quicker time than the first half of the session?

let me ask you the question, how many 15 or 16 stone athletes have you recommended to buy the fastest lightest shoe when they complain about numb feet , too much pounding in their current shoes and the shoe was on top to narrow and gave them blistes ?

at the same time iam sure you have recommneded a light good runner that came with kayanos to get something faster
    horses for courses

2nd I am not saying anything new here as it is at least as old as Lydyard in the 1960s and was also key of the old irish marathon runners, but what tunney said yesterday about his swim session was the best thing i have read on this forum , this is how you know when you did a good session , that is what i call a good bang for your bug session , little bit tired , you know something is happening to your body but tomorow you can go out there and train again .

peter kern wrote: »
    let me ask you the question, how many 15 or 16 stone athletes have you recommended to buy the fastest lightest shoe when they complain about numb feet , too much pounding in their current shoes and the shoe was on top to narrow and gave them blistes ?

at the same time iam sure you have recommneded a light good runner that came with kayanos to get something faster
    horses for courses

2nd I am not saying anything new here as it is at least as old as Lydyard in the 1960s and was also key of the old irish marathon runners, but what tunney said yesterday about his swim session was the best thing i have read on this forum , this is how you know when you did a good session , that is what i call a good bang for your bug session , little bit tired , you know something is happening to your body but tomorow you can go out there and train again .

:confused:
    I was just asking if I understood you right in the advice you gave earlier in post #10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Trig1

just want to butt in and say ..
    I'm a 22 min 5k man if i dont have a swim and cycle before it.. did my first interval session tonight.. nice long 30min warm up at 10kph then 5 x 400m on with 200m off ... was averaging 15.5kph (this is flat out) for most of the 400's.. I cannot seem to transfer this into race day though. did a few duathlons and did my first tri last weekend.. came in 80th but again was disappointed with my run at 23.44... I thought the interval training would increase my speed or would I be better doing longer 5min or 10min pieces?? would be eager for some good advice on increasing my running speed as I'm there with the bike and i'm working hard on the swimming

• Advertisement

Trig1 the only way I saw an decrease in times was to run longer repeats of 1k at a pace 10-15 seconds faster than current 5k pace.

So if 25m 5k to run repeats at 4:45. This is much closer to your actual race pace and easier to sustain than all out sprints. You should be 5k racing at your lactate threshold whereas the sprints you're doing are fully anaerobic at flat out pace, you won't carry this into a 5k race.

As your race times decrease you should be decreasing your interval times and increasing the number of intervals to build tolerance in your muscles.

You also need to be doing brick session, running repeats after doing a bike session. We do a bike warm up, increase the pace for 4k, come off the bike run 800k (at sub 5k pace) back on the bike and repeat. This gives transition practise both on and off the bike too.

Thats what I've been doing & find it works.

Trig1 the only way I saw an decrease in times was to run longer repeats of 1k at a pace 10-15 seconds faster than current 5k pace.

So if 25m 5k to run repeats at 4:45. This is much closer to your actual race pace and easier to sustain than all out sprints. You should be 5k racing at your lactate threshold whereas the sprints you're doing are fully anaerobic at flat out pace, you won't carry this into a 5k race.

As your race times decrease you should be decreasing your interval times and increasing the number of intervals to build tolerance in your muscles.

You also need to be doing brick session, running repeats after doing a bike session. We do a bike warm up, increase the pace for 4k, come off the bike run 800k (at sub 5k pace) back on the bike and repeat. This gives transition practise both on and off the bike too.

Thats what I've been doing & find it works.

That seems like great advice, i'm out at lunch and must give it a try. What recovery would you use between the 1k repeats ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

That seems like great advice, i'm out at lunch and must give it a try. What recovery would you use between the 1k repeats ?

I would start by using the same amount of time it takes you to run your repeats. So if you run the repeat in 5:30 then run easy for 5:30. As you progress bring down your recovery time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Trig1 wrote: »
    just want to butt in and say ..
    I'm a 22 min 5k man if i dont have a swim and cycle before it.. did my first interval session tonight.. nice long 30min warm up at 10kph then 5 x 400m on with 200m off ... was averaging 15.5kph (this is flat out) for most of the 400's.. I cannot seem to transfer this into race day though. did a few duathlons and did my first tri last weekend.. came in 80th but again was disappointed with my run at 23.44... I thought the interval training would increase my speed or would I be better doing longer 5min or 10min pieces?? would be eager for some good advice on increasing my running speed as I'm there with the bike and i'm working hard on the swimming

Do you only do 400's? You really need to be doing longer reps if you want to improve your 5k time or more than 5 of them. Not a big fan of short reps myself, I'd much rather have 800m - 1 mile reps, or a LOT of short reps. 5x400m isn't really going to improve your speed endurance.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,365 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Generally, especially at 5k pace you'd do a recovery that's half your interval length so 500m or about 2 mins of walking/stretching/keeping warm for me when I do 1k reps.

Just realised I posted more or less the same thing as AK.

My 5k PB is 25:12 but i'm not fit for that yet so i'm running about 27 Min so 800M reps at 5:15 with a 200M recovery. I'd look to do that 4 times at the moment but increase as my fitness levels increase.

I would start by using the same amount of time it takes you to run your repeats. So if you run the repeat in 5:30 then run easy for 5:30. As you progress bring down your recovery time.

+1.

If you are running repeats on a 1k route then go 'out' at your interval pace, lets say 4 m/km and 'back' on your recovery in 6 minutes.

At the start I was doing 4 x 4minutes with 6 minutes easy recovery building to 4 x 5 with 5 minutes and then 4 x 6minutes with 4 minutes recovery. Now doing 4 x 5 minutes with 90 secs recovery.

I'll change this up next month to start stretching out to suit 10k races building to 6 x 6 minutes with 1 minute ( at better than current 10k pace ). I'd be doing a 2-3 k warm up and cool down at 'conversation' pace.

Ya its roughly 1k with a junction the middle that i might have to stop at but thats not a biggie.

I'll try 3 up and 3 down at lunch. There willl be a 1.5k warm up and warm down with that !

Thought ?

5:20 km out and 6:30 back ????

Depends on how long lunch is.

I don't get a lunch break :( but if I did I'd go 10mins warm up and 3 x 4mins on (at 5:15 pace), 6 off and 10 mins cooldown and stretch. Total 50 mins.

Use your 1k route to guage your improvements, less focus on the distance as I suggested earlier and you can control your time better. You'll see yourself going further each time in the 4mins as you get fitter.

A trick I use is to spot your finish point for the first 4 mins in and try to beat that each repeat by 1 meter. The last one will be hard but you'll feel great accomplishing it. :)

• Advertisement

Depends on how long lunch is.

I don't get a lunch break :( but if I did I'd go 10mins warm up and 3 x 4mins on (at 5:15 pace), 6 off and 10 mins cooldown and stretch. Total 50 mins.

Use your 1k route to guage your improvements, less focus on the distance as I suggested earlier and you can control your time better. You'll see yourself going further each time in the 4mins as you get fitter.

A trick I use is to spot your finish point for the first 4 mins in and try to beat that each repeat by 1 meter. The last one will be hard but you'll feel great accomplishing it. :)

I get roughly an hr which will include chagne, work out, shower and eat.

The place i use is 500m long or add another 500m or double back. So i'd do the double back to avoid having to stop at the junction.

Advertisement