Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ITU World Triathlon Series (spoiler alert)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Fazz wrote: »
    I'm not sure Australia will get a 3rd spot never mind chose Macca to race it!

Don't they need sexton to keep racing and doing well to get the third slot, and then what chose to give it to Macca over him ! :)

Don't get me wrong I'm a Macca fan, but it seems unlikely now.

On the flip side if this does happen, it'll be a seriously epic Kona and indeed 70.3 Las Vegas we have to look forward to!
    I heard in an interview that Macca will likely do both this year if Okympics falls through, indeed may do if it goes ahead also!

I think Australia are in a position at the moment to get the three spots. A good result could put them up to fourth place, however a good Canadian result could get them three spots and knock Australia down to two.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Jenkins vs Densham likely battle to the finish. The americans and brits driving the lead pack. Snowsill top 10 to keep selectors interested.. reckon she'll get it too...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Live on bbc red button at the moment

cool the little ad hoc polls they throw up on triathlonelive.org

2 mins for the lead pack now, probably be 2.5 mins by T2. Can't see anyone bridging it

Prob see the same kind of breakaway in teh mens race tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

Very impressive win.

Can't see the Aussies picking Snowsill after that. She's just too far off the pace now to justify it.

Anyone know when their selection date is?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Jonathan Brownlee running away with this, literally. On course for a sub-30 10k.
    Tim Don is in 5th or 6th, would love to see Don get a podium finish. He's one of the characters of the sport.

Both Aileen Morrisson and Gavin Noble Racing.

I think Aileen could/should podium this one with no densham, finlay, jenkins, mofatt, bennett etc...

The mens race shoul be hell for leather as a bunch of them still on the QF brink. Come on the Don!

Madrid2012WTSpostcard.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

Is this on the red button again I wonder?? Damn you UPC (sorry shotgun)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Those race times could mess up the weekends training a bit. Or I could just start training before midday... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

Out of interest is there a bookie that takes bets on wts races ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

peter kern wrote: »
    Out of interest is there a bookie that takes bets on wts races ?

https://www.bwin.com/triathlon

Edit: Just seen thats just the olympics

thanks its really madrid I was interested ;-)

on the other hand maybe I should put a few bucks on the olympics as the quotes should be better now, for the athlete I have in mind .

and maybe i should put 5 euro on her for london. as she is not even on the list .

thanks its really madrid I was interested ;-)

on the other hand maybe I should put a few bucks on the olympics as the quotes should be better now, for the athlete I have in mind .

and maybe i should put 5 euro on her for london. as she is not even on the list .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭PWEI

Aileen has just caught up with the lead group of runners so she's in with a great chance of at least a podium finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Super run from Aileen. Great second place. She seemed pretty happy with the result too, which is always good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I think she had the fastest run split today.

I think she had the fastest run split today.
    She sure did. Great stuff out of her! Hopefully she can make first bike pack in London and run a mid to low 34 off it

Just moved some of the mens and womens chat to the respectivie threads so we can keep this one for the ITU WS races

Interesting - I doubt that te usual contenders will be racing the entir series with it being an olympic year. Is this a chance for someon else to win the WS?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I see Lukas Verzbicas took out a World Cup win there yesterday. He could be someone to watch closely in the next few years.

Especially since he left athletics for the one true sport of triathlon.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭Clum

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I see Lukas Verzbicas took out a World Cup win there yesterday. He could be someone to watch closely in the next few years.

Especially since he left athletics for the one true sport of triathlon.

We'll see just how good he is this weekend in Kitzbuhel when he takes on the two Brownlees, Gomez and some of the inform Russians and French triathletes.

This weekend is almost a test run for the Olympics. Finally the favorites are all meeting in the same race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Clum wrote: »
    We'll see just how good he is this weekend in Kitzbuhel when he takes on the two Brownlees, Gomez and some of the inform Russians and French triathletes.

This weekend is almost a test run for the Olympics. Finally the favorites are all meeting in the same race!

So are we expecting this to be an opportunity for someone to show the rest how great they are or for a cagey race where no one wants to show their hands > 50 days before the Olympic event?

Nice taster in TE Mag about this race, looking forward to it..

Particularly interested to see how Murray and Verzbicas get on an of course our own Hope in Aileen... GO ON AILEEN!!! :D

DEL_4724.jpegPhoto: Delly Carr / ITU Media
    Hold on to your hats, this weekend’s ITU World Triathlon Series in Kitzbuhel could be the race of the season so far. With the Brownlee brothers and Javier Gomez squaring off for the first time this ITU year, it’s all about gauging pre-Olympic fitness levels.
    The 2012 ITU World Triathlon Kitzbühel promises a nail biting weekend of racing. The women begin with Andrea Hewitt (NZL) up against the likes of Switzerland’s Nicola Spirig, Aileen Morrison (IRL) and Barbara Riveros Diaz (CHI). The men’s race certainly sees the strongest line up of the year with both Alistair and Jonathan Brownlee (GBR), Javier Gomez (ESP) and Alexander Bryukhankov (RUS) going head to head for the first time in 2012.
    The magnificent Alpine landscape provides the location for the fourth round of the 2012 World Triathlon Series where athletes will begin with a dive into Schwarzsee lake for a two lap swim. The challenging bike course bends and climbs up to the Lebenberg and through the centre of Kitzbühel before a fast virtually flat run.
    Elite Men’s Preview
    Reigning ITU World Champion Alistair Brownlee (GBR) enters his first ITU race this season after sustaining an Achilles tendon injury in February. Last year’s incredible four WTS golds led to his 2011 World Champion crown. Now, attention will focus on whether he is back to full race fitness to reclaim his Kitzbühel titles from 2009 and 2011 and ascertain his position on the road to London 2012.

Jonathan Brownlee joins his brother in Austria following his consecutive back-to-back victories in San Diego and Madrid. The Brownlees will aim to keep up their joint podium run, first standing together in Madrid 2011, they have shared the podium in every single ITU race they have both competed in since.
    Gomez has kept a clean sheet in 2012, claiming the European Championship title in his only ITU race this year. He is also familiar with the Kitzbühel podium, taking silver on the two occasions he competed in the race, in 2009 and 2010.
    A trio of fierce Russians are sure to hold presence in the race, led by current world number one Bryukhankov and including Dmitry Polyanskiy and Ivan Vasiliev. The three took second to fourth positions respectively in Madrid last month behind Jonathan Brownlee, drawing strength as a team. Polyanskiy pocketed World Cup bronze in Banyoles this past weekend and Bryukhankov took silver in Kitzbühel last year.
    Sven Riederer (SUI), who has already won silver in San Diego this year and bronze in Kitzbühel last year, is an ever present medal threat. Riederer was joined by reigning African Champion Richard Murray on the San Diego podium. The South African has been causing a stir on the world stage in 2012, also taking silver in Sydney.
    Germany fields a group of triathletes with a proven track record. Jan Frodeno makes his first ITU appearance of the year and won bronze in Kitzbühel two years ago. Steffen Justus won his first WTS title in Sydney this year, which makes three medals in total. The pair are joined by Maik Petzold.
    Frenchmen Laurent Vidal and David Hauss have both enjoyed World Cup victories this year. Vidal had Kitzbühel in mind conserving his energy on the last push to take silver in Banyoles at the weekend and he also has a bronze from Sydney, his second WTS medal to date after winning bronze in Kitzbühel in 2009.
    Junior world champion Lukas Verzbicas of the U.S. burst onto the elite circuit last week winning his debut ITU World Cup race in Banyoles. Intrigue surrounds how the nineteen-year-old will fare as he steps into his first ITU World Triathlon Series race.
    Following a successful start to the season with silver in the opening Mooloolaba World Cup, Australia’s Brad Kahlefeldt was forced to take a break from training when he was diagnosed with pneumonia after San Diego. He joins the Kitzbühel starting line-up back to full Olympic preparation.
    Veteran Bevan Docherty (NZL) joins the field along with reigning Asian Champion Yuichi Hosoda (JPN), Kitzbühel 2010 winner Stuart Hayes (GBR) and Spaniard Mario Mola who finished just out of the medals in San Diego.
    Elite Women’s Preview
    Hewitt enters her third WTS of the year straight off the back of Banyoles World Cup where she finished fourth. After her bronze in Sydney, a medal this weekend will be Hewitt’s fifth in Kitzbühel. Switzerland’s Nicola Spirig has won her past two races, taking the most recent WTS in Madrid for the second year running and regaining her European Championship title in Eilat. Spirig has also finished on the podium in Kitzbühel before, claiming silver in 2009 and winning in 2008.

Barbara Riveros Diaz proved that her Olympic preparation is heading in the right direction with bronze in Madrid last month, along with Morrison whose silvers in Madrid and Ishigaki 2012 World Cup produced the best ever international results by an Irish triathlete.
    Gwen Jorgensen and Sarah Groff, representing USA at London 2012 will both appear in Kitzbühel. Jorgensen enters the race straight off a victory at the Banyoles World Cup and also came fourth in Sydney WTS this year. She gained Olympic selection last year with an impressive display in London last year on the 2012 Olympic course finishing second. Groff climbed the ITU World Triathlon Series podium for the first time last year in Kitzbühel with bronze.
    Of Jessica Harrison’s (FRA) four ITU races this year, she has finished in the unenviable fourth place three times. A podium finish in Kitzbühel would be Harrison’s second ever WTS medal after bronze in Madrid 2009.
    Australia’s Ashleigh Gentle has shown good form in 2012, taking bronze in the Banyoles World Cup this past weekend and posting two top ten finishes in Sydney then San Diego. Japan’s Ai Ueda who took bronze at the 2012 Asian Championships will be in full Olympic preparation, but both Gentle and Ueda are yet to claim a WTS medal.
    Familiar faces Emma Snowsill (AUS) and Lisa Norden (SWE) will also start in Kitzbühel hoping to improve on recent top twenty form. Norden has proved she is capable on this course with silver in 2010.
    Other names to look out for are Vicky Holland (GBR), Alexandra Razarenova (RUS), New Zealand’s Kate McIlroy and Nicky Samuels and Austria’s strongest female in the line-up, Lisa Perterer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

So are we expecting this to be an opportunity for someone to show the rest how great they are or for a cagey race where no one wants to show their hands > 50 days before the Olympic event?

I know what you're saying, but it's not as if the Brownlees or Gomez or the Russians ever go out there without any intention but to go hard and win.

I'm hoping Johnny throws his weight around and pulls this one out of the bag.
    Prob most interested to see how Ali and Gomez do of course.

Sunday training done by lunch time so!
    F1 will be just over also I think.... :)

3 pm start - or is that local time?

Women's same but on Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Alistair Brownlee blowing the others away in the run right now. Hard to see how any of the other big guns will get past him in London. However strong Johnny looked, Alistair seems streets ahead.

Gomez seems to be paying for trying to keep up at the start of the run.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭bryangiggsy

Well hard to see how A Brownlee is going to be beat in the olympics. Barring a major mishap gold all the way. Lost his goggles during the swim and still exited 4th..broke away on the bike was reeled in... exited t2 first and ran a sub 30 min 10km.....spectacular.
    Are endless pools in your back garden the way to go??? :D

Watched this on the ITU playback the other night, trying not to see the results as I logged in.

A Brownlee was awesome. Just the look on his face in the last 2 km said it all, he wants it badly. I love how he almost seemed to be getting more energy from the pain. Swimming without the goggles, breakaway on the bike for 20kmand a sub30 run was just sheer class. Genuinely hard to see beyond him for Gold right?

Do you think Stu Hayes did his job?

Fair play to Gomez for digging in. The french and the Russians all look good too so it could be a good scrap for bronze...

Spirig looked good again too, her last 200m kick is a great weapon. I'd wonder if she is peaking too soon?! Norden looked really strong and has to considered a dark horse.

I hope to Jesus, Aileen makes the first bike pack in London. That has to be priority #1

Anyone fancy Hewitt to do it :D The camera man sure did, at least 3 close ups of her fine glutes on the pontoon :D

And what about Vebrickas, second fastest run split. He was loping along like a baby giraffe in full flight. . It will be interesting to see how his swim/bike progress next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,790 ✭✭✭griffin100

Speaking of Aileen she's featured in next weeks London Calling on RTE1

http://www.rte.ie/tv/programmes/londoncalling.html

It's a pretty good programme actually, the last two weeks it was following Mark Kenneally as he tried to get the Olympic standard for the marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

This is it, the last of the World Series races before the race everyone has been talking about for the last two years! A sprint distance so should be a good opportunity for a final tune up and potential confidence booster.

picture.php?albumid=2165&pictureid=13437

Personally I am looking forward to Aileen maybe pinching it and going second in the rankings. In the mens I personally have a sneaky feeling that Gomez and Sven Riederer will put in strong challenges for silver in London (Ali B'lee gold obviously) so I am looking forward to seeing how they are going. Then it's time to see what Paddy Power has on offer....almost time to place our bets :cool:

Review here

Well, well Murray just keeps on surprising! Big day for him, his interview after was very amusing, a bit like a child at christmas :) So Murray for the podium in London? Who knows...who knows! Noble 1:29 down, 41st place (that's mad isn't it? Very tight at the top!) I suppose one cannot read much into this race but it certainly passed the hour nicely and mae me pedal a bit faster to get home from my long easy spin in time for it :D

• Advertisement

Good swim from Aileen, 5th or so but god that was a sloppy transition!

Advertisement