Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I fit about 340ish words on a A4 page.

Man, my writing must be really small :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Fergus_ wrote: »
    Bit of a weird question :pac:

How many words do you all fit on a line on a normal A4 page?

I always see people write loads of pages and I try to comfort myself by convincing myself that I write small :pac:

I fit about 13-14 words per line

Around 10-12. And my writing is tiny, I'd say 7 or 8 words per line is the average.

I write about 300 words per page, I hope that's above average as I always write way fewer pages than other people e.g. 3 pages for a poetry essay sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

tits magee wrote: »
    i could see reznov writing something like:

"regardless if you write small,
    i always write at least 8 pages for an essay.
    if i didnt, i would burn it before handing up.
    i wouldnt want the examiner to read such ineptitude on my behalf."

Now I don't even need to waste my energy posting anything on the boards as someone else is doing it voluntarily. :cool:

Clean up the grammar and punctuation a bit and you're ready to complete your job!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

I really hate the examcraft ABQ and the paper overall the Debs seems much easier. I hope the abq we get is more like the debs paper.
    I did the examcraft gonna hand it up to her today we didn't do mocks. I haven't been in her class in 2 weeks either.
    She gave us both papers. I used my book for most of it I just want to check I'm using the right layouts.
    It took me like an hour to do the abq .

What was the DEB ABQ?

I thought the Examcraft one was fine. Part (A)- Insurance and Part (C)- Business Organisations were fairly handy. The Business plan was a bit random alright, but I had the section about the Business plan learnt off to a tee so I ended up getting 78/80

Got my 4th, (yes 4th) Business Mock back from my Teacher today and got another A1 :cool: It was the 2007 Examcraft one and had really random questions that never come up, so she said if I can get an A1 in that I should have absolutely no bother getting the A1 in June.

I actually love Business so much! :pac: It's sick! If I don't get an A1 after doing 4 mocks and never getting below an A1 in any exam, i'll actually go crazy! :P Here's hoping it goes well! ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

I hate business, I wrote loads on the importance of industrial sectors for 20m using the four points of primary, secondary and tertiary then an overall evaluation and got 14/20 for no apparent reason. Such a picky subject. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Patchy~ wrote: »
    I hate business, I wrote loads on the importance of industrial sectors for 20m using the four points of primary, secondary and tertiary then an overall evaluation and got 14/20 for no apparent reason. Such a picky subject. :rolleyes:

Business is a relatively easy subject. It is important to link concepts together and reference previous chapters to obtain a high grade. The heftiest obstacle to success is timing. Unless you have the nitty gritty down, you'll be in trouble with timing. Especially the ABQ can hamper the grade if you idle on some compulsive fantasy.

reznov wrote: »
    Business is a relatively easy subject. It is important to link concepts together and reference previous chapters to obtain a high grade. The heftiest obstacle to success is timing. Unless you have the nitty gritty down, you'll be in trouble with timing. Especially the ABQ can hamper the grade if you idle on some compulsive fantasy.
    I do try to but being honest I dont exactly know everything yet :rolleyes: I didnt actually get stuck for time in any of my exams in the mocks and I got an extra question or two done in business, but my teacher said not to do that in June. I still got a B3 and I only want to get a B2 (well obviously I'd like to do better but I cant see it happening :L), but it just seems you need to know everything about what theyre asking...its so specific. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

Fergus_ wrote: »
    I fit about 340ish words on a A4 page.

Man, my writing must be really small :pac:

I normally fit about 6 words on line :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

My English teacher keeps giving me higher C and L marks than P ones. :( And she keeps giving me only 8/10 for mechanics when I've never lost a mechanics mark in all of 5th and 6th Year. :mad: The teacher I had then was unbelievable too so there's no way she was marking me inaccurately!

I do try to but being honest I dont exactly know everything yet :rolleyes: I didnt actually get stuck for time in any of my exams in the mocks and I got an extra question or two done in business, but my teacher said not to do that in June. I still got a B3 and I only want to get a B2 (well obviously I'd like to do better but I cant see it happening :L), but it just seems you need to know everything about what theyre asking...its so specific. :(

That is for all subjects however! You need to know the book when entering the exams and make sure you're confident with every concept described. One thing I suggest is to not waffle anywhere and I'm not sure if an overall summary of your answer even counts as a 5 mark point of information. That is why perhaps you lost 5 marks out of your answer and were reduced to 15/20.

• Advertisement

Togepi wrote: »
    My English teacher keeps giving me higher C and L marks than P ones. :( And she keeps giving me only 8/10 for mechanics when I've never lost a mechanics mark in all of 5th and 6th Year. :mad: The teacher I had then was unbelievable too so there's no way she was marking me inaccurately!

My teacher has given me C - B1s since the beginning of 5th year as she encourages everybody to regurgitate her answers. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're confident that your grammar is up to scratch.

My teacher has given me C - B1s since the beginning of 5th year as she encourages everybody to regurgitate her answers. I wouldn't worry too much as long as you're confident that your grammar is up to scratch.

My grammar's grand. Actually now that I think of it my main problem with the teacher is that she marks us way too easily (apart from our mechanics). Last year I consistently got B2s and B3s, with one or two B1s, C1s, and C2s. It was perfect for predicting my grade! Now I'm a lot worse at English but I've only ever gotten As and Bs. :(

That is for all subjects however! You need to know the book when entering the exams and make sure you're confident with every concept described. One thing I suggest is to not waffle anywhere and I'm not sure if an overall summary of your answer even counts as a 5 mark point of information. That is why perhaps you lost 5 marks out of your answer and were reduced to 15/20.
    I'll try to learn the book anyways :P Yeah I actually thought of that :) But I couldnt think of a 4th point at all - theres only 3 sectors of industry! Any advice on what a 4th point could be?

I'll try to learn the book anyways :P Yeah I actually thought of that :) But I couldnt think of a 4th point at all - theres only 3 sectors of industry! Any advice on what a 4th point could be?

What I would have used:

Tourism (huge for Ireland)
    Balance of Payments (Through manufacture, import substitution can occur, improving balance of payments)
    Employment (Self Explanatory)
    Essential Services (Teritary industry provides essential services such as banking for both customers and businesses)

It's not asking you to describe the three industries, instead give any benefits relating to the industries.

What I would have used:

Tourism (huge for Ireland)
    Balance of Payments (Through manufacture, import substitution can occur, improving balance of payments)
    Employment (Self Explanatory)
    Essential Services (Teritary industry provides essential services such as banking for both customers and businesses)

It's not asking you to describe the three industries, instead give any benefits relating to the industries.
    Oooooooooooooooh! God I cant believe I missed that. Worst part is I can talk about all that, I just wouldnt see the opportunity :rolleyes: Gotta keep my eyes peeled then, thank you :P

Oooooooooooooooh! God I cant believe I missed that. Worst part is I can talk about all that, I just wouldnt see the opportunity :rolleyes: Gotta keep my eyes peeled then, thank you :P

Read every word of the question and manipulate it to your needs. Reading and answering the question is essential as in any subject. Don't be worried about being creative with your points as long as you have formidable back up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Lol, my mum just spent the last hour or so shouting at my little brother who's in sixth class in primary school about how bad his maths results are. Sorry to burst your bubble, mum, but maybe you should be worrying about someone else's maths results right now! :P (i.e mine.) :) Also just starting to understand heat and temperature in Physics, I thought it was the easieeeeeest thing for ages - until I actually tried to do the questions! :L And I write like, 8 words per line, my handwriting used to be really small and angular and impossible to read but I changed it up, now it's big and curvy and... legible. :pac: And, having big handwriting makes it easier to write loads of pages for essays!

Read every word of the question and manipulate it to your needs. Reading and answering the question is essential as in any subject. Don't be worried about being creative with your points as long as you have formidable back up.
    I'll try to use that mindset when I study business intensively over the next 19 days. :P

I'm writing a short story at the moment about a mystery being solved and oh god, its so grim. I almost had to stop, it was making me uncomfortable :L I had intended for the mystery to be if the girl whose car crashed had done it suicidally or not, but I've realized its a bit ambiguous and it seems her identity could be the mystery...and it's probably easier to stick with that, I dont want my teacher to cry reading it. :P

I always thought I had tiny writing but I'm only getting 7 words per line. That's mental, I thought to get less than 7 in a line you'd have to spread the words out looaaads!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

I only got two 4th places on sports day, I'm so pissed off, my worst ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭The High Crusade

Eathrin wrote: »
    I only got two 4th places on sports day, I'm so pissed off, my worst ever.

Sports day?! I haven't had one of those since primary :(

My last day today was going grand until my German Teacher, who has been teaching me and my brother for almost 10 years now revealed she retired in February and just came in to teach the 6th years. Shed a manly tear for that one :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Well prank day caused an absolute shitstorm and the worst part is I missed all the fun part and came in just in time for the lecture. Now people are spreading a load of crap about the whole year getting suspended, as if that would happen

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭ConTheCat

The prank in the boys school here involved streaking!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Lol, my mum just spent the last hour or so shouting at my little brother who's in sixth class in primary school about how bad his maths results are. Sorry to burst your bubble, mum, but maybe you should be worrying about someone else's maths results right now! :P (i.e mine.) :) Also just starting to understand heat and temperature in Physics, I thought it was the easieeeeeest thing for ages - until I actually tried to do the questions! :L And I write like, 8 words per line, my handwriting used to be really small and angular and impossible to read but I changed it up, now it's big and curvy and... legible. :pac: And, having big handwriting makes it easier to write loads of pages for essays!

I'm leaving out heat just because I can't be arsed studying it, the effort like:P
    Actually, I'm leaving both Physics and Applied maths until the days before the exam, I have 4 and a half days for both! So while I may finish last, I do have many advantages!

Oh and I only write about 6-7 words per line! I don't write big it's just I leave big spaces between words, I think it looks neater :) And god my writing can get messy, especially in geo :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

We don't do pranks in our School :rolleyes: we must be very civilised compared to ye lot :P joke. But no, we don't do any of that stuff! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

So I went in for the last two classes and they were both free ended up going town after school and was in starbucks for hours I can never seem to go there for less than an hour. All I studied was business today. I guess one day won't harm. My last proper day is next Friday even though I don't go in anymore and most others.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

Wesc. wrote: »
    I'm leaving out heat just because I can't be arsed studying it, the effort like:P
    Actually, I'm leaving both Physics and Applied maths until the days before the exam, I have 4 and a half days for both! So while I may finish last, I do have many advantages!

Oh and I only write about 6-7 words per line! I don't write big it's just I leave big spaces between words, I think it looks neater :) And god my writing can get messy, especially in geo :P

Yeah I know, it's a bit of a balls! :P Guaranteed question though and I'm in no rush so I thought I might as well cover it. :) Haha yeah! I have a week between my second last exam and Physics :pac: It's so wonderfully placed. :D It does look far neater y'know! There are some advantages to it after all! Hey, were you down at the NUIG open day? :)

What was the DEB ABQ?

I thought the Examcraft one was fine. Part (A)- Insurance and Part (C)- Business Organisations were fairly handy. The Business plan was a bit random alright, but I had the section about the Business plan learnt off to a tee so I ended up getting 78/80

Got my 4th, (yes 4th) Business Mock back from my Teacher today and got another A1 :cool: It was the 2007 Examcraft one and had really random questions that never come up, so she said if I can get an A1 in that I should have absolutely no bother getting the A1 in June.

I actually love Business so much! :pac: It's sick! If I don't get an A1 after doing 4 mocks and never getting below an A1 in any exam, i'll actually go crazy! :P Here's hoping it goes well! ;)

On the Deb abq it has
    A) i)Explain TQM ii) illustrate how TQM benefits JIM security (30m)
    B) Analyse two key elements of the marketing mix that can contribute to the success of JJM product (20m)
    C)i) Evaluate two different financing options which Jack and Jill are considering .
    ii)In your view which sources of finance is most suitable for Jack and Jill. (30m)

Overall the Debs paper seems much easier and the way this is marked whereas Examcraft was 20m 40m 20m

I have a sample answer from the ioe for the importance of industry 20marks question.They have the three categories of industry and 2 points on each of them.

On the question it says pick two of the following and give two points on each.
    So you only need pick two of the sectors say maybe do primary say employment and two points on that then Balance of Payments and two points about that and do the same in the secondary.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Yeah I know, it's a bit of a balls! :P Guaranteed question though and I'm in no rush so I thought I might as well cover it. :) Haha yeah! I have a week between my second last exam and Physics :pac: It's so wonderfully placed. :D It does look far neater y'know! There are some advantages to it after all! Hey, were you down at the NUIG open day? :)

Yeah I was why? :L Had the most awkward conversation with one of the mathematical science fellas at it :P

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement