Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert '11/'12 Off-Topic 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

I should put away my laptop until the leaving is over it would stop the procrastination but it's the evening . I don't always study until this late.
    Sure it's only english paper 1 in a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Quick last words? I'm a she. ;)

Lets pretend you entered Transition year and got trannyzitioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

reznov wrote: »
    ORDER ORDER.
    I hereby declare, deathbythelc as dead by the upcoming LC. He tragically perished while contemplating the thought of Plath not appearing on the paper. Deathbythelc revised Larkin beforehand and then Boreland, leading him to a conclusion that there is nothing that can remedy the "solving emptiness that is just under all we do".

Let us all respect a minute of silence and remember the Internet stranger we conversed so frequently.

Does this mean you've approved of me renaming Boland to Boreland.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Monkeyloops

Would relationships be ok to talk about under theme or issue in the comparative section? Or do you have to be more specific and pick friendship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,918 ✭✭✭Meowth

I've given up reading for the lc :( shizz just got real :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Would relationships be ok to talk about under theme or issue in the comparative section? Or do you have to be more specific and pick friendship?

I think you would have to be more specific, relationships in themselves aren't really a theme.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

Almost everyone in my year is either doing relationships or loneliness/isolation... so you should be fine it's a very common theme!

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Joey.

I was supposed to be doing a qualifier for the Dublin horse show this Saturday...realising now that probably wasn't a great idea :pac:

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,572 Mod ✭✭✭✭Canard

Theme of "growing up in the third world" ftw :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Going to write up a Theme and Issue essay and finish off my Literary Genre essay tomorrow. Probably should have had these done some time earlier in the year but you know...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1 floncomic

Any advice on what to start studying for: H.L Ag. Science, H.L Construction, O.L Economics, if you havent started yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

What do you even talk about in Theme and Issue?
    Common themes?
    Surely GVV is easier as there's more to discuss.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Common themes?

GVV is way easier! there's way more to write about also! but it's not guaranteed to come up so...

I must write my other three poetry essays tomorrow even a Heaney essay.
    I can probably do the personal essay but his theme essays are kind of complicated. I'm glad paper 2's not until Thursday anyway.

Eathrin wrote: »
    Common themes?

They're kind of similar. I use this layout the GV&V layout is easier to remember though.
    Explain the theme and introduce texts.
    1. Backgrounds of the protagonists
    2. What glues them together
    3. How the relationships progress
    4. Characters of the protagonists
    5. Trusting or not
    6. External factors that influence the relationship
    7. How the relationship is at the end
    8. Conclusion

If you write about the theme of love it's basically the same as relationships as you can have romantic, platonic, paternal, maternal etc....That's what we do in our school. Theme of Love FTW, of course it depends on your chosen texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 268 ✭✭SeanMadd

Just on Hamlet, if appearance vs. reality, revenge or any other theme comes up, how would I slip in deception? It's the only theme I have and it's a good essay too, so I'm wondering how would I adjust it..

Also, if the role of characters come up, such as the role of women, what does this exactly mean? I'm assuming it's how they help the development of the play/storyline etc. and not just talk about the women in general..

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Has anybody got some tips for writing a good speech? Im useless when it comes to speeches :(

We just look at growing up in the third world under poverty vs affluence, sexual abuse, child abuse, abuse/mistreatment of women, friendship I guess if I wanted to, and religion. Its overkill though, I usually just do it all if I've time, got 70/70 last time :cool: So, so bleak but such great texts and so easy to remember :)

Patchy~ wrote: »
    We just look at growing up in the third world under poverty vs affluence, sexual abuse, child abuse, abuse/mistreatment of women, friendship I guess if I wanted to, and religion. Its overkill though, I usually just do it all if I've time, got 70/70 last time :cool: So, so bleak but such great texts and so easy to remember :)

What texts do you do. :)

• Advertisement

The Kite Runner, The Constant Gardener and Purple Hibiscus, its like they were made to be compared. :P

We were gonna do Don't Let's Go To The Dogs Tonight instead of PH, dunno how that would've gone but PH is really boring at times - whereas DLGTTDT is autobiographical. Ah well too late now :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

For Hamlet I've just done:

the soliloquys
    imagery and symbolism
    Gertrude
    Ophelia
    Polonius

What else should I focus on?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭imelle

who's bringing food into exams? i am, during the mocks half an hour into practically every exam my tummy would start to rumble :/

Martin_94 wrote: »
    If you write about the theme of love it's basically the same as relationships as you can have romantic, platonic, paternal, maternal etc....That's what we do in our school. Theme of Love FTW, of course it depends on your chosen texts.

That's perfect! I may get started on this now...

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭deathbythelc

Is anyone doing I'm Not Scared as one of their texts? I haven't seen anyone on Boards mention it. It's in Italian and uuuuugh, so horrible for comparing. (To Dancing at Lughnasa and How Many Miles to Babylon)

I think English as an exam worries me far more than any other.
    I find with most subjects you can revise the entire course in a matter of hours fairly comprehensively whereas with English it's kind of something you build upon. Lack of said building over the course of the year has left me a small bit nervous now:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

I hope we get a nice theme for paper 1. Some growing up or future-y carry on would be lovely. I hate having to write about really abstract things like happiness etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Chuchoter wrote: »
    I hope we get a nice theme for paper 1. Some growing up or future-y carry on would be lovely. I hate having to write about really abstract things like happiness etc.

I LOVE writing about things like happiness or what's important in life!!

*Waffles*

:D

I wouldn't mind a theme on heroes or something inspiring or change.

• Advertisement

I have one plot in my head now for a short story that I thought of earlier during a toilet seat epiphany. Fúcked if I can't fit it in or else I'll have to go and think in the bathroom of a new plot, inspirational place that it is.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement