Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

@ retrogamer. That's a pretty weak theory you have there.

Sephiroth dies 5 or 7 years (can't remember which) before FFVII. But he channels his will beyond the lifestream and makes a projection of himself through Jenova. He uses Jenova as a puppet to kill tons of dudes and simultaneously controls all the Jenova infused clones and Cloud. He gets the black materia and summons meteor. If Sephiroth was a puppet then I don't see why Jenova would do all the legwork.

If Sephiroth was the puppet then you'd imagine that there'd be no need to get the black materia to the 'real' Sephiroth in the North. He's the guy pulling the strings.

There's some interesting stuff on the FF wikia that talks about plans for the original script of the game where it was far more evident that you were chasing Jenova and not Sephiroth

According to the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega, in an early version of Final Fantasy VII's game script, the fact that the party is chasing Jenova rather than Sephiroth was made much more clear. During the party's confrontation with Jenova in Sephiroth's form on the Cargo Ship, "Sephiroth" opens up his cape to shoot out a piece of Jenova, its hand. The Sephiroth Clones were not individual people infected with Jenova's Cells, but rather pieces of Jenova floating in the air hiding under cloaks in the shape of people. Each piece was explicitly named to be either its hand, thumb, or heart. This is why Cloud refers to Jenova∙BIRTH as the "arm" of Jenova upon its defeat. There were also two more boss fights: one happening between Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim, and one in the Temple of the Ancients.
    It has also been suggested from the material present in the Ultimania Omega, that rather than there being more than one Black Cape, there was just one, Jenova, who was cutting off bits of its body as it journeyed towards Sephiroth, until finally all that remains is a heart. In the original version of the events the party would catch up with the Black Cape in the Whirlwind Maze, and the figure would remove the hood to show it has no face, and then take off the cloak to show it is nothing but Jenova's heart floating in midair, the final piece, which would then transform into a monster.

On a sidenote it's notable as well that Ifalna calls Jenova a 'he' in the PC version of the game. That leads credence to the idea that Jenova is a shapeshifter and the 'female' Jenova you see might just be an imitation of one of the Ancients a la John Carpenter's The Thing. (The 'Reunion' experiment is a lot like how the 'Thing' operates as well.) If Jenova can do just that then it doesn't really seem like she 'needed' Sephiroth's body for anything. Sephiroth needed Jenova, not the other way around. Jenova doesn't even reach Sephiroth until the northern crater on disc 2, and by then the entire plan is complete.

I'm not sure why people are so hostile to the idea of Sephiroth being the main villain. The guy's a badass. He taunts you the whole way through the game and then you find out he's been asleep all this time waiting for you to do exactly what he wanted. God knows how long he was just sitting up there in the rafters waiting for Cloud to show up just so he could murder Aeris right there in front of him. Of course, he only did that after he couldn't get Cloud to do it himself.

EDIT: Something else I found. This is the original English script for the PS1 game

???: Our purpose is to deliver the Black Materia to our master. ('Our' purpose. The Jenova clones)

Cloud: Our...?

Cid: Hey, hey! What's goin' on?

???: Those who carry Jenova's cells...

Cloud: Master...!?

???: Of course... Sephiroth. Heh, heh, heh...

Can't call that one a retcon

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mindkiller wrote: »
    @ retrogamer. That's a pretty weak theory you have there.

Sephiroth dies 5 or 7 years (can't remember which) before FFVII. But he channels his will beyond the lifestream and makes a projection of himself through Jenova. He uses Jenova as a puppet to kill tons of dudes and simultaneously controls all the Jenova infused clones and Cloud. He gets the black materia and summons meteor. If Sephiroth was a puppet then I don't see why Jenova would do all the legwork.

If Sephiroth was the puppet then you'd imagine that there'd be no need to get the black materia to the 'real' Sephiroth in the North. He's the guy pulling the strings.

All of this is told to you by a delusional Sephiroth that still thinks he is in control. The guy is infused with Jenovas cells and they have been controlling him and deluding him the whole time. Anyway Sephiroth couldn't move, so Jenova pretty much had to go to him. It's not Sephiroth that has control over Cloud, it's Jenova.
    On a sidenote it's notable as well that Ifalna calls Jenova a 'he' in the PC version of the game. That leads credence to the idea that Jenova is a shapeshifter and the 'female' Jenova you see might just be an imitation of one of the Ancients a la John Carpenter's The Thing. (The 'Reunion' experiment is a lot like how the 'Thing' operates as well.) If Jenova can do just that then it doesn't really seem like she 'needed' Sephiroth's body for anything. Sephiroth needed Jenova, not the other way around. Jenova doesn't even reach Sephiroth until the northern crater on disc 2, and by then the entire plan is complete.

You mean the PC version with even more script problems than the PS1 version? That's just looking for evidence to support a theory rather than basing a theory on evidence.

I'm not sure why people are so hostile to the idea of Sephiroth being the main villain. The guy's a badass. He taunts you the whole way through the game and then you find out he's been asleep all this time waiting for you to do exactly what he wanted. God knows how long he was just sitting up there in the rafters waiting for Cloud to show up just so he could murder Aeris right there in front of him. Of course, he only did that after he couldn't get Cloud to do it himself.

Well it's because it's kind of wrong and when you think about it goes against the whole theme of the game about inner strength. Aeris seems weak but is the stronger character than Cloud. Cids wife. Just two examples. Then there's cloud who seems weak and has a pretty pathetic backstory, he seems even weaker in the original japanese version apparently. However hs shows he is stronger than Sephiroth because he is the one that breaks control away from Jenova while Sephiroth is still living in his delusion.

Why does Sephiroth want to wound the world? To fill himself with lifeforce so he can become a god? Pretty weak. It's very obvious that all he is doing is carrying out what Lavos, I mean Jenova originally intended. Suck the world dry and then do the same elsewhere.
    EDIT: Something else I found. This is the original English script for the PS1 game

???: Our purpose is to deliver the Black Materia to our master. ('Our' purpose. The Jenova clones)

Cloud: Our...?

Cid: Hey, hey! What's goin' on?

???: Those who carry Jenova's cells...

Cloud: Master...!?

???: Of course... Sephiroth. Heh, heh, heh...

Can't call that one a retcon

So this was spoken by the Jenova clones, the same one sunder jenova's control and just as delusional?
    According to the Final Fantasy VII Ultimania Omega, in an early version of Final Fantasy VII's game script, the fact that the party is chasing Jenova rather than Sephiroth was made much more clear. During the party's confrontation with Jenova in Sephiroth's form on the Cargo Ship, "Sephiroth" opens up his cape to shoot out a piece of Jenova, its hand. The Sephiroth Clones were not individual people infected with Jenova's Cells, but rather pieces of Jenova floating in the air hiding under cloaks in the shape of people. Each piece was explicitly named to be either its hand, thumb, or heart. This is why Cloud refers to Jenova∙BIRTH as the "arm" of Jenova upon its defeat. There were also two more boss fights: one happening between Cosmo Canyon and Nibelheim, and one in the Temple of the Ancients.
    It has also been suggested from the material present in the Ultimania Omega, that rather than there being more than one Black Cape, there was just one, Jenova, who was cutting off bits of its body as it journeyed towards Sephiroth, until finally all that remains is a heart. In the original version of the events the party would catch up with the Black Cape in the Whirlwind Maze, and the figure would remove the hood to show it has no face, and then take off the cloak to show it is nothing but Jenova's heart floating in midair, the final piece, which would then transform into a monster.

Not even sure what this is meant to prove?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,192 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I thought it was well-established at this stage that Seph wasn't actually Seph in Disc 1.

Not sure about him being controlled once released from ice - would have to do more research.

One thing I do disagree about is Cloud's backstory being pathetic. I think it was one of th emost enjoyable backstories in any FF game, the whole Kalm flashback, the death of his mother, his failures to go out into the world and do what he promised he would do, the reveal with Zack was just brilliant imo. That photo (minus Cloud) when he returns to Nibelheim (in his mind) was excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

noodler wrote: »
    I thought it was well-established at this stage that Seph wasn't actually Seph in Disc 1.

No, at this stage, we still think that Sephiroth is the real deal, its not until we hit the northern crater I believe that we reach that particular plot twist.

Thats from herself's play through anyway :)

RedXIV wrote: »
    No, at this stage, we still think that Sephiroth is the real deal, its not until we hit the northern crater I believe that we reach that particular plot twist.

Thats from herself's play through anyway :)

Sorry, I meant at this stage in history or in the overall debate.

Didn't mean your GF's playthrough.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

noodler wrote: »
    One thing I do disagree about is Cloud's backstory being pathetic. I think it was one of th emost enjoyable backstories in any FF game, the whole Kalm flashback, the death of his mother, his failures to go out into the world and do what he promised he would do, the reveal with Zack was just brilliant imo. That photo (minus Cloud) when he returns to Nibelheim (in his mind) was excellent.

Aye, it's good. Put he's a pretty pathetic character, far from the persona he projects at the start :)

As for Sephiroth, not going to bother going through the dialogue but on my second time through the game I found it very obvious with lots of hints about the control Jenova has over itself even down to the cellular level and even other creatures and all it wants to do is recombine and continue it's work.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Aye, it's good. Put he's a pretty pathetic character, far from the persona he projects at the start :)

As for Sephiroth, not going to bother going through the dialogue but on my second time through the game I found it very obvious with lots of hints about the control Jenova has over itself even down to the cellular level and even other creatures and all it wants to do is recombine and continue it's work.

Sorry I get you now.

Yeah, he slowly disintegrates (before recovering obviously) when he is forced to open up to new people and have his dilusions shattered.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Red I'v been reading this thread since last week and can I just say awesome idea!I've convinced my girlfriend to do the same once we're finished exams and i cannot wait to be honest!

Laika1986 wrote: »
    Red I'v been reading this thread since last week and can I just say awesome idea!I've convinced my girlfriend to do the same once we're finished exams and i cannot wait to be honest!

Don't let her read the thread!!!! Its got spoilers everywhere!!!

But do tell your missus that my missus would love to talk to someone about it as a fellow newbie :D

You mean the PC version with even more script problems than the PS1 version? That's just looking for evidence to support a theory rather than basing a theory on evidence.

I found the scene from the PS1 version, where it's 'it' instead of 'he'. I've never seen this scene before. I can confirm it's the PS1 version as I've have it loaded up on my PSP right now and the script is the same. You can view the scene in the second house on the left in Snow Town on disc 3.

2:31 onwards

Ifalna: "That's when it appeared! It looked like... our... our dead mothers... and our dead brothers. Showing us spectres of their past (Jenova has no clearly defined gender. She's a shapeshifter, so she doesn't need Sephiroth. She can look like him if she chooses, or if Sephiroth chooses as the case may be)

Gast: "Who is the person that appeared at the North Cave? I have't (typo intentional) any idea"

Ifalna: "That's when the one who injured the Planet... or the 'crisis from the sky', as we call him, came." (So Jenova can be a 'he' according to Ifalna in both versions of the game)

Ifalna: "He first approached as a friend, deceived them, and finally.... gave them the virus."

Ifalna: "The Cetra were attacked by the virus and went mad... transforming into monsters"
    Why does Sephiroth want to wound the world? To fill himself with lifeforce so he can become a god? Pretty weak. It's very obvious that all he is doing is carrying out what Lavos, I mean Jenova originally intended. Suck the world dry and then do the same elsewhere.

Why not? Seymour in FFX wanted to destroy Spira for no discernible reason. Kefka wanted to become a God.. for what? Kefka and Sephiroth are both crazy dudes, that's all the motive they need.

"All of this is told to you by a delusional Sephiroth that still thinks he is in control. The guy is infused with Jenovas cells and they have been controlling him and deluding him the whole time. Anyway Sephiroth couldn't move, so Jenova pretty much had to go to him. It's not Sephiroth that has control over Cloud, it's Jenova."

Yeah, you could call them delusional. You could call the clones delusional as well if you want. But really there's no concrete proof in the game that the Jenova infused clones and Sephiroth are delusional. We're never giving anything in the game that lends credence to that possibility. The burden of proof is on you on that point.

In any event, Hojo says the same thing on disc 2 and that's the very last we ever hear of it

Hojo: "But being the genius that I am, I soon figured it out. You see it was all Sephiroth's doing"

Hojo: "Sephiroth is not just content to diffuse his will into the Lifestrean; he wants to manipulate the Clones himself"

Yes, that was how it got started

Hojo: "I wondered where the clones were going, but I was never able to figure it out"

I couldn't figure it out either

Hojo: "The one thing that I did know was that Sephiroth was at their final destination"

I wasn't pursuing Sephiroth. I was being summoned by Sephiroth (Cloud then 'gives' the black materia to Sephiroth)

[snip]

Hojo: "This is perfect! Both Jenova's Reunion and Sephiroth's will. They won't be diffused into the Lifestream, but gathered here!"

And who are we to argue with Hojo? He may be the most authorative guy on the subject. Or maybe he's deluded as well. Gee, I guess everybody in FFVII is deluded then.

What is Jenova controlling anyway? When Jenova controls Sephiroth, what does she make him do? Because as far as I can tell, Sephiroth just lounges about in the North for the entire game. He only exists in the lifestream, where he exerts his will on the clones and Jenova

As for whether or not Seph is Seph on disc 1 it's all a matter of semantics. In the literal sense, it's Jenova who appears and humiliates Cloud. But it's Sephiroth who pulls the strings. Jenova kills Aeris through Sephiroth's bidding. Seph pulled the trigger. He's the bad guy. I guess in that sense we could compare him to Yu Yevon in FFX who controls Sin from within. Sin is just a shell, like Jenova. Sephiroth has no body, so he needs Jenova.

"Not even sure what this is meant to prove?"

I just thought it was interesting. It's a shame that it got cut out. Would have been a dramatic moment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

RedXIV wrote: »
    Don't let her read the thread!!!! Its got spoilers everywhere!!!

But do tell your missus that my missus would love to talk to someone about it as a fellow newbie :D

I'm really hoping she'l pick it up as well as your missus has!I was actually going to show her this thread(obviously before Aeris Death) but I decided against it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Loving this thread, RedXIV :)

If the updates keep pushing my nostalgia buttons I may have to try and get FFVII working on Windows 7 which I imagine will not be pleasant.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,187 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The PC version of FFVII is one of the worst ports ever done. It randomly crashes, looks abysmal and wouldn't let me get past a section of the Northern Crater. I suggest getting it off the PSN. To get it for PC you'd have to pay an amount you could get a new PS3 for or use "naughty boy" methods.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,265 ✭✭✭Seifer

Or use my original CD's that worked fine when I played it for the first time on Windows 98 :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Or use you original PS1 disk with an emulator for PC.
    This worked perfectly for me on my last play through 8 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

I got chills reading the part where you wrote about her reactions to Aerith's death, I agree that this is one of the most famous scenes in video games and a scene that no one will ever forget.

Although I was more saddened by (Suikoden 2 spoilers)
    Nanami's death

The whole Sephiroth thing being in control doesn't sit right with me. We know Jenova can influence people and their minds especially when infected with its cells. A lot of that theory revolves around Jenova being dead and brainless, except there's the fact that Jenova was never killed and only quarantined or left in stasis in the northern crater. Also there's the fact that what Sephiroths ultimate goal is, is exactly the same as Jenova's goal and he's pretty dead set on achieving it with Jenova and not doing it on his lonesome.

This force of his will being greater than Jenova just stinks of bad writing and that's why I hope it's not what was originally intended, afterall Sephiroth is a mere human with only a part of Jenova in him, he really shouldn't have a greater mind or will especially considering he is bonkers.

Opinion seems to have changed to the sephiroth point of view since the ultimania thing came out, which I just can't trust since it is part of the god awful FFVII compilation thing. Hojo's remarks you quoted seem to be the biggest evidence, when does he say this by the way? I know on my second playthrough the impression I got was that Sephiroth was the unknowing puppet as well and it wasn't from reading any theories online at the time but something I came to from the dialogue in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

The whole Sephiroth thing being in control doesn't sit right with me. We know Jenova can influence people and their minds especially when infected with its cells. A lot of that theory revolves around Jenova being dead and brainless, except there's the fact that Jenova was never killed and only quarantined or left in stasis in the northern crater. Also there's the fact that what Sephiroths ultimate goal is, is exactly the same as Jenova's goal and he's pretty dead set on achieving it with Jenova and not doing it on his lonesome.
    Mind=Blown
    AEVLX.gif
    I've never actually thought it out before but holy ****.

Well it's still up in the air. I found everything pointed towards that when I played it and it was the main theory at the time.

Also one other thing, Hojo injected himself with Jenova cells, so not there's that blight on his credibility as well :)

It's this scene here. This is also the last time we see Sephiroth or Jenova until the last fight

As for stinky writing, well that's Final Fantasy for you. The closest we've ever gotten to a really great story was FFXII and that jumped the shark big-time when you found out about the 'Ocquiria' or however you spell it.

You have to remember as well that Jenova gets her body separated and cut up throughout the game. Jenova is in bits by the end. If we use AC as a reference (maybe we shouldn't) all that's left of her by the end is her head. And then there's this scene (1:30)

"This is the end!"

"You're right. This is the end of this body's usefulness (Sephiroth's body is in the crystal, so it's obviously Jenova's body that's being talked about here. Sephiroth seems pretty keen on just sacrificing the host body he's been using all along now that the black materia is right where he needs it. If Jenova was the one in control then she certainly wouldn't destroy herself or allow herself to be killed by Sephiroth. The suggestion seems to be that Jenova could have also given Sephiroth the materia, but Cloud kills her and does it himself.)

There's a strange part here where Cloud says:

"It's both incredibly wicked and cruel...but it's releasing a powerful strong will from deep within this planet's wound" (It = Sephiroth? I'm not sure tbh. The 'will' bit makes it sound like Seph.)

Jenova's abilities as described by Ifalna and Sephiroth is that she can imitate (and maybe perhaps assimilate?) other people, living or dead. We know she can imitate the living because in one of the above scenes she copies Tifa. Jenova can also infect people with a 'virus' that makes them mad and turns them into monsters. But this isn't what happens with Sephiroth as we already know what these monsters look like.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvMW5TWZhAdVnCu4SWAsN25MVG5xB063xs16m4C_BCbbRaLL-aVtoVs4VT2A

That's the Crisis Core version I think, but it's the same in FFVII.

Jenova isn't necessarily dead and brainless. But Sephiroth is strong enough to control it. The Jenova clones (ie, Jenova her/hiself) call Sephiroth its master. Hojo says that Sephiroth is the one controlling the clones. Cloud says it as well. Of course, there's also the suggestion that Sephiroth gets his strength because of what he is. When we meet Lucretia we learn that the Jenova inside her wouldn't let her die and she still sort of lingers on in the lifestream, a lot like Sephiroth. But it's pretty clear that she didn't succumb to the Jenova cells like the clones and Cloud did.

Ultimately, Sephiroth can't do a thing without Jenova. His reasons for 'rescuing' her to begin with are muddy. He thought she was an ancient and wanted to take back the planet with her. By the time the game 'begins' though his motives are different. He doesn't give a crap about her. If Jenova was in control then I'd doubt he'd change course just like that. Notice as well he recants the whole 'taking the planet back for the Cetra' thing at the Temple of the Ancients. At that point, he's just using her because he has no body anymore.

One thing that isn't clear is if Hojo was also being controlled by Sephiroth. It would certainly explain his actions at the end of disc 2 after he injects himself with Jenova cells. But then if he's crazy enough to do that then he's crazy enough to do anything. The question I guess is when he did it. But it's a moot point really. Square included plenty of indicators that Seph was in control and not Sephroth. They even released a book to this effect. FFVII isn't exactly brimming with subtext either. It's story is told all through dialogue.

edit: I see you brought up Hojo as well. In any case, the Jenova cells were self-administered, so as crazy as he is it's not like Jenova made him do it unless what he means is that he injected it into his gonads when he knocked up Lucretia and I could really do without that mental image.

edit: another point. Jenova's cells is what binds Sephiroth to the living world. He can only control those who share the cells, like Cloud and the clones. So Seph controls Jenova who controls everything else

• Advertisement

Anyway, the first time I played this I thought Sephiroth was a ghost. A sort of projection, but I never caught on to it being Jenova.

Well maybe it is more badly written than I thought :)

Eh, games are games. I love FFVII but I'd never argue for it to be included in a museum. Games aren't high art. I'd put most JRPGs on an even keel with anime. Even the most artistically ambitious game doesn't have a whole lot to say imo. But who knows, like Roger Ebert I can never say with certainty whether games will every be as evocative as cinema or books.

Earthbound begs to differ although it's the exception not the rule.

Eh, games are games. I love FFVII but I'd never argue for it to be included in a museum. Games aren't high art. I'd put most JRPGs on an even keel with anime. Even the most artistically ambitious game doesn't have a whole lot to say imo. But who knows, like Roger Ebert I can never say with certainty whether games will every be as evocative as cinema or books.

This I would disagree with. I'd get alot more from a game than a poem or a painting for example. I don't disregard poetry or painting but to me its alot easier for me to get involved and investigate a game with a story. I don't understand why cinema or books which both tell stories should be regarded as art but games are not?

Possibly a cliché example but take the end of MGS3 where after hearing about the story the game makes you, the player, pull the trigger
    on Boss, your mentor and friend
    , which makes you feel as if these are your actions. You can stand there for hours if you want, not wanting to do it, but ultimately the choice comes to you. Thats fantastic narrative in my opinion and far more emotionally investing.

We may not recognise it yet as high art, but it shouldn't be too much longer.

MGS/MGS3, ICO, SOTC are all art for me without question.

I could make a case for every single FF game but I'd probably give it to X.

I really wouldn't class the MGS games anywhere near art. They're action films with clever ideas and god awful dialogue, nothing more.

As for the FF games, not even close. I have to agree with Mindkiller but they never go past the level of the average anime. Even the emotional moments are manipulative no matter how effective. Read some Murakami or finish Earthbound if you want to see how to do it without dramatic manipulation.

I really wouldn't class the MGS games anywhere near art. They're action films with clever ideas and god awful dialogue, nothing more.

As for the FF games, not even close. I have to agree with Mindkiller but they never go past the level of the average anime. Even the emotional moments are manipulative no matter how effective. Read some Murakami or finish Earthbound if you want to see how to do it without dramatic manipulation.

For MGS the best example re: MGS3's ending has already been mentioned.

However, I think the pure cinematic nature of the original puts it into the art category (remember I am focusing specifically on MGS 1 and 3).

Dramatic manipulation?

Watching Yuna send the spirits of a devestated village to the farplane (even ignoring the aesthetically pleasing imagery on screen) was a pretty "artistic" moment (I leave the subcateogries to somebody else).

The story, even before it is actualised as you play the game, of a society living in constant fear of attack and deliberately holdingback technologcial advancement as a result was also rather "Artsey" for me.

I think we need to expand the definition of art a little. FF games are too big and diverse to simply say the game is a piece of art but there are undoubtedly elements in each one which fit the cateogry imo.

There's cetainly elements and moments you might come close to being classifiedas art but really as a whole MGS and the FF games don't come anywhere near it. Honestly forgetting the originality ofthe settings do the FF games ever go beyond the level of your pulp sci-fi or fantasy novel because for me they certainly don't. Everything in those games is really just manipulative and in your face, you're basically told to feel emotion by the narrative. As for the themes, it's way too in your face and you're pretty much told what it's all about, MGS being really awful in this regard.

Art is impossible to define but really MGS and the FF games are nothing more than escapist entertainment and never transcend that. Clever narrative, plot twists and manipulative emotional scenes and imagery aren't what defines art.

• Advertisement

I never said games aren't art. If this is art...

tumblr_lcagtySB7W1qdknx6.jpg

...then there's no question about games being art. My point was that as an artform I find games a little bit vapid.

Funnily enough, when I hear people argue for games as an emergent artform one of the ones that gets mentioned the most is MGS2. Some see it as an example of a form of post-modern artistic expression.

This guy talks about MGS2 as a postmodern tragedy, though he seems to be more into the tragedy aspect than the postmodern side.

This one is a little better

I don't really think there's anything that profound about MGS3.

Advertisement