Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy 7....by a non gamer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,972 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just remembered that FF IX has co-op for the battles, with each person controlling two characters.

That could be fun.

Just call dibs on Amarant and Quina and you'll be sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Aurongroove

my house mate threw on my FFVII save profile there.
    it was post Emerald/Ruby weapon though so there wasn't really anything left to do. we looked at some of the limit breaks he wouldn't've seen (like Yuffies Lv4) and some of the more miss-able Materias and Summons.

I had a Vincent on my team who I grind killed a large amount of monsters for his death penalty.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I had a Vincent on my team who I grind killed a large amount of monsters for his death penalty.

Was very impressed with the simplicity of a mate of mine who had simply equipped slash all with sneak attack on vincent with the death penalty and spend about 4 days running around killing weak enemies in clumps of 4 or 5 until his death penalty was always hitting 9999

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Damn you Red. DAMN YOU.

I've been free of the FFVII demon for years.

*mumbles*grumbles*drags out old copy*starts new game* :mad::eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Noxin wrote: »
    Damn you Red. DAMN YOU.

I've been free of the FFVII demon for years.

*mumbles*grumbles*drags out old copy*starts new game* :mad::eek::D
    I've been putting off a replay for years in the off chance a remake would be announced!!!

It's been so long it would nearly be like new to me again at this stage.

"must resist":p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Fergus_

Ah this thread is getting me back into JRPGs!

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭knuth

Couldn't resist the urge !!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

I've been putting off a replay for years in the off chance a remake would be announced!!!

It's been so long it would nearly be like new to me again at this stage.

"must resist":p

I was going down this route but I fear that a remake (if it ever happens) is years off. PS4 possibly. The speculation on a remake is going on too long now and with other projects still ongoing, I do not see it happening any time soon.
    *Praying someone comes and proves me wrong* :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Is there a bigger ace in the hole property than a FFVII remake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Pretty much any IP that is big at the moment will sell more than FFVII. People that want FFVII are a vocal minority and one that is shrinking everyday. You can see it by how many people are now saying FFX is their favourite and in a recent Famitsu poll FFX came out on top. For the cost it would take to remake the game and the smaller sales Square would see from it means that Square are better off using the money on new entries or rereleasing FFX which in japan at least has the bigger market and is a far less expensive re-release. So don't hold your breathe for a remake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Winston Payne

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Pretty much any IP that is big at the moment will sell more than FFVII. People that want FFVII are a vocal minority and one that is shrinking everyday. You can see it by how many people are now saying FFX is their favourite and in a recent Famitsu poll FFX came out on top. For the cost it would take to remake the game and the smaller sales Square would see from it means that Square are better off using the money on new entries or rereleasing FFX which in japan at least has the bigger market and is a far less expensive re-release. So don't hold your breathe for a remake.

It would do gangbusters in America alone. Your bolded point leaves me a bit staggered to be honest. Hasn't Square-Enix's president been asked two years running "Please remake FFVII!" at their annual fan event?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I kinda agree with Retro. Years ago I would say FF7 is everyones favourite game, even though FF9 is my favourite game.

But ever since I've entered into discussions online I find more people like FF4,FF6,FF9 and FFX. Hell FFX is getting a HD upgrade as it is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It would do gangbusters in America alone. Your bolded point leaves me a bit staggered to be honest. Hasn't Square-Enix's president been asked two years running "Please remake FFVII!" at their annual fan event?

He probably has. However there's nothing more rabbidly vocal than the FFVII fanbase and the Square Enix president isn't going to listen to vocal fans, he's going to approve projects that will make money. It's a business, not about pleasing fans.

There's lots of factors involved. Remaking FFVII would mean building all assets from scrath, be it 3D models and textures or new HD 2D backgrounds. It would cost the same to make as a brand new game except it will have a smaller audience. There's also the fact that the battle engine and mechanics would probably need a new overhaul. In a world where stuff like Xenoblade, Persona 4, Dragon Quest IX, or even going back further to Grandia et al. FFVII is a very archaic game in comparison. Critics will savage the game more than likely leading to a further drop off in sales.

People get older, most move away from games and the majority of gamers get younger. Don't believe the reports of research showing the average age of a gamer is 28, it's taken from polls that exclude anyone under the age of 20. The majority of gamers has and always will be teens and most teens probably don't remember FFVII and FFX was their first introduction to the series and so was their favourite. It's not a question of the quality of the game more the one that left the biggest impression and for most people it was their first time that left the biggest impression (ooh matron!). It's the only reason to explain shite like Legend of Dragoon having such a vocal fanbase.

It makes more sense from a business perspective to remake the newer 3D games. Less overheads and bigger audience. I think the last time we had a chance of a FFVII remake would have been a DS or PSP one.

The fans might want FFVII but there's not as many as you would think anymore. Also think back to that poochie episode of the Simpson and the quote 'You kids don't know what you want! That's why you're still kids, cos your stupid!'. That's pretty much Square Enix right now and tbh they wouldn't be in business if they made decisions based on fan reaction rather than how financially feasible it is.

But ever since I've entered into discussions online I find more people like FF4,FF6,FF9 and FFX.

Because they're right :P

It's like someone knew this would come up:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-05-16-square-enix-new-final-fantasy-games-take-precedence-over-final-fantasy-7-remake

It's basically the exact same thing that Square say everytime. Basically saying get stuffed without hurting anyone's feelings.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I should think that their top priority at the moment is milking the Fabula Nova Crystallis compilation for all it's worth before moving on to anything else.
    I think a FFVII remake would just take too much in the way of time and resources to make and Kitase has said he'd be tempted to make changes as well.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Kitase has said he'd be tempted to make changes as well.

He probably should and help modernise it, although if it's to add more connections to crap like Advent Children then he can **** off. Adding changes didn't exactly hinder the excellent DS FFIV remake.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Well, Mikami reckoned the excellent GC remake of Resident Evil was 70% different from the original and that turned out brilliantly.
    FFIV DS... That takes me back. Used to grind on it while I was meant to be working. One of my first DS games.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Making "FFVII HD" is a lose-lose for SE.

SE make an unsuccessful FF7 remake:

Hardcore, older FF fans holing out for the big moment finally abandon/boycott SE and stop playing there games.

SE look as though they are now incapable of producing a game equalling FFVII's quality and captivation.

a light is cast on the production teams behind FFVII (a lot of whom no longer work for SE) and the fact that the FFVII remake pales in comparison to the original means hoards of people possibly buying and trying the last story and Pandora tower etc instead of new SE games.

SE make a successful FF7 Remake:

SE will be encouraged to make more remakes stunting development of original titles (VIII and XI will be demanded almost instantly you feel).

All of the positive aspects of the title except for the final build graphic quality will be more or less attributed to the original title designers (again, few of whom still work at SE)

In comparison to FFXII & XIII, Fans may accuse SE of no longer having the capability of conceiving or producing strong role-play storytelling which is why the FF7 remake is their best title in a decade or more. (i.e. that it was made by better artists/musicians/storytellers)

lose lose.

A remake is unlikely to do well for the simple reason that it will at best serve as a trip down memory lane for some gamers. It just won't affect the modern generation the same way that a new Call of Duty will. Did FFXIII generate any excitement in the gaming community in general? The name has lost too much of it's allure to the aforementioned COD and similar.
    For the record, I like Square Enix. I have enjoyed several of their games and I was quite impressed at how readily they'll adapt their flagship series instead of just shoving out the same thing again and again that you see with several other titles.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

All they need to do is release a cleaner looking port on the Vita with widescreen support and a re-orchestrated soundtrack (with the option to change back). I don't see what's so hard about that. It worked fine with FFIV on PSP.

Hell, they could stick Crisis Core on there and call it 'FFVII: Complete' or something.

FFVII doesn't have a tile based 16-bit RPG engine like FF4. All the backgrounds will have to be re-rendered in high definition and widescreen with new matte paintings. Of course that's if they go the 2D background route. If they go 3D then all the backgrounds will have to be made from scratch as well character models and animation.

Both ways mean you're basically spending the same money on a remake as you would on a brand new game. A remake will have a smaller audience so it makes sense to spend the money in a wiser fashion.

It's not the same as handing the game off to a korean mobile phone developer and telling them to not change anything and preform what amounts to an advanced ROM hack.

Anyway as has been mentioned it's a catch 22 situation but not for the reasons mentioned, in my opinion. Release the game with the game mechanics still intact and you've got a game that will appeal to a small fanbase while it looks totally archaic next to more advanced RPGs and gets ripped apart by reviewers. Change the game story wise and the battle system and you end up with a product that will split the fanbase between the muppets that won't accept change and the ones that will while still not appealing outside this small niche.

There's just no market for it. Makes more sense to just re-release it as a retro release.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭Lahinchians

There's just no market for it. Makes more sense to just re-release it as a retro release.

which they have done on the PSN, along with FFVIII n FFIX.

A week since an update?! I have failed you all!!!!

Thankfully I have news since we tried more last two days :)

So last we looked, she was running around after landing the snowboard and had not yet realised she was supposed to be looking for landmarks. She did get to the point where you place the marker and the environment rotates but she assumed this was a lost cause and left. After a further 10 mins here, she collapsed and woke up at Holzoff's cabin.

After getting an idea whats coming up ahead and rearranging her equipment she heads up the cliff without any incidents and the puzzles in the cliff provide very little in the way of difficulty. Her main area of contention is trying to navigate the 2D maps which aren't always as intuitive as I remember. The icicles provide no barrier to her progress but as she enters the cave with Schizo (the two headed jerk) and the music changed she knew she was in for a boss.

Very quickly she cased fire2 on both heads and saw straight away that it healed one and damaged the other and realised her magic wasn't going to do much good here so concentrated with physical attacks and non elemental summons. She did mistakenly summon Ifrit but she knew before he hit that it was a mistake so her knowledge of elemental forces is getting a lot better. She also started using Cloud's Meteorain limit instead of his Finishing Touch after realising it was doing about 3 times the damage. Her max HP for most around here is about 2,500 so even when Schizo casts Quake twice in a row, she was able to stay in the game. She did spend more time trying to keep her party alive in this fight which, in my mind, is showing a more conservative approach to the battles. She also was telling me about this amazing spell she now has called Esuna which is the bee's knees apparently :p. But, as expected, she finally defeated him and managed to progress past him, very proud of herself and heading towards the Northern Crater.

At this point its worth noting that after she hit the Northern Crater, we were speaking aloud about the story as she was playing. Mainly because she was getting hit by the walls of wind and green energy a lot. We talked about the uselessness of going after Sephiroth because Cloud is just going to do what he's told anyway. We debated about whether or not Cloud is a clone of Sephiroth or in fact the original Sephiroth. And as we got further and to the point where she had to fight Jenova again, (you're gonna love this Retr0) she said "You know what, its probably all Jenova's doing" and when I asked why she replied with "Well think about it, I end up fighting Jenova alot more than I end up fighting Sephiroth, Jenova is Sephiroth's mom, he's probably just a mommy's boy", possibly the greatest summation of FF7's complex plot while also insulting one of the most popular video game characters ever. I've been trying to refrain from answering any questions that the game itself will answer but right here was the point when I started to realise that she might not need me to go over the story with her as she finished the game.

But just when I resigned myself to her all knowing ways we reached the point where we start to learn about what REALLY happened in Nibelheim. As we watched Cloud look around as Sephiroth, the shinra troops and Zack walk in, she reacted as I think everyone reacts the first time you see this scene. "Who the hell is this?!" followed epically by "Is that evil Cloud?". Completely baffled by this, she reads on as she hears more about what Sephiroth is saying. Initially taking Cloud's side that Sephiroth is blatantly talking out of his arse, and trying to wind him up but as Tifa starts acting suspiciously, Emma's rock solid confidence begins to erode. Now a new wave of questions begin, "Is Tifa a clone? Is Sephiroth controlling Tifa? Is she just being a lovestruck idiot?" Rather surprisingly, in the wave of questions she produces at every one of these plot twists, she almost always manages to guess the right answer, her only problem being she creates a theory and almost immediately creates a newer one.

Anyway, as Cloud's brain is melting into a puddle of puke, we see Sephiroth arrive in the guise of Tifa to convince RedXIII (who we gave the black materia to, she walked straight up to Yuffie as she knew I was watching and when she was prompted with "Give Yuffie the Black Materia" she responded with "Yeah right bitch" before picking lovable Red.) to go to Cloud. The scene's between Professor Hojo and Rufus then, in particular talking about Cloud seem to cement some facts in her mind, namely that Cloud IS a clone of Sephiroth and the fact he has no number on his hand is purely down to Hojo's belief that he was a failure. We have a slight "aww poor Cloud" moment before throwing profanity after profanity into the air as "poor Cloud" hands the black materia over to Sephiroth.

We all know what happens next, as the Northern Crater collapses and the WEAPONs emerge, we can see Avalanche minus Cloud on the airship. I love this FMV sequence, just because they WEAPON's look pretty awesome. As Ultima WEAPON gets ready to fly past the airship, herself is slightly confused as to whether or not this guy is a robot or what, but to me this is far less interesting as the observation she makes AFTER he blasts off into the distance and we see the Avalanche crew jiggled about. Thats right, we all know I'm talking about Tifa's knockers. "Jesus Tifa has some boobs" was the statement, and she now is far more aware of the size of them in everything from battle screens to the manual. Lets hope she never googles Tifa.

Waking in Junon, she finds out about Meteor being summoned ("fuck") and the WEAPONs ("Thats what Gast was talking about!") and she then discovers that Rufus is planning to execute them. With this much story to digest she has decided to take a break for the night as her head is literally overflowing with new storyline and plot twists all over the place.

Hopefully will have more for you guys soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

The plot isn't that complex though, they clearly say it's Sephiroth doing.

I'd be interested in seeing what she thinks by the end of it. I thought that way myself but mindkiller makes a pretty convincing case.

She's doing well, thought the two headed dragon would give her more trouble but she's got the conservative healing tactics down now, it's really all you need for the rest of the game.

...but she's got the conservative healing tactics down now, it's really all you need for the rest of the game.
    Quick! Somebody pick up on this fair point and blow it out of all proportion!

I personally can't wait for the second part of Cid's story to see what she thinks of him once the exploding tank episode happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

wasn't junon were all those toy soldiers were hidden? I had an awful time trying to work out what they were for only to find they did nothing. Music from this area was great.

Anyway, on remakes.....theres always the origonal game if people think its that great, played as REDXIV's partner is doing and enjoying it!!

A remake like many have said will be shockingly expensive and at the end of the day not the same aminal we all played and loved many years ago.

Loving the updates, I'm almost inspired to route out the game and play it again!

Lantus wrote: »
    wasn't junon were all those toy soldiers were hidden? I had an awful time trying to work out what they were for only to find they did nothing. Music from this area was great.

Cait Sith could use them for a special attack. Was never explained though afair.

• Advertisement

Ok so last we left, Tifa and Barret were being marched to their deaths and we rejoin them as Scarlet shoves Tifa into the gas chamber to be executed. As Tifa is strapped in and the key falls from one of the guards, she gets excited as she knows the key means something but she can't tell what yet. Just then, Weapon attacks and as the FMV plays showing Weapon's approach, she notes "This must have been amazing back in 1997", her understanding for my nostalgic love for the game is obviously starting to grow :)

So as we watch Weapon attack and Barret has resigned himself to following Cait Sith (incidentally, this is the first time she has used Cait Sith and actually liked his rather simple Limit Break, still hates him as a character though) we are left with Tifa to try and wriggle her way to to get free. As the buttons appear on screen to highlight the buttons that control each body part, she begins a button bashing spree, worthy of any street fighter competition. After a few frenzied seconds of this and just seeing Tifa squirm basically she stops and realises that she needs to take her time with this. Once the calm hits she manages this little puzzle quite easily (thanks to the tips that also appear on screen) and manages to shut off the gas. As Weapon then blows a chunk out of the building she climbs down and heads out onto the sister ray. While this is happening, she watches as Barret and Cait Sith run into Yuffie and her dismay as she's stuck with the two characters she hates the most is clearly evident. As she gets to the airship and Barret pulls off his heroic pose, We are whisked back to Tifa who has been cornered by Scarlet on the Sister Ray. After the slapping match (which has slammed for being stupidly girly) the subsequent rescue on the highwind, we are off for the next adventure!

As we got on the airship, the usual excitement took place, as we explored our new base of operations. Although, every so often she'd run into Yuffie getting sick and a new tirade of abuse would appear ("Who even wants you here?! get off if your sick!"). Eventually after talking to everyone bar the pilot about 3 times, she found the pilot who let them set off towards the "Southern Isle". This was completely overshadowed by the ability to fly around with funky music playing which we did for approx 10 mins before going back to finding the island we were supposed to. After a brief hiccup while trying to land (can't land on forest, only on grass, now she knows) we got to Mideel. She actually said as she went in, "I'm not supposed to be here am I", just as Tifa overheard about Cloud being in the hospital. As she went in she spotted Cloud almost immediately behind the nurse but her suspicious mind immediately thought that this was an ambush and appeared actually disappointed when it didn't happen. Seeing Tifa stick with Cloud was very much an "Awwww" moment and then as the rest of the team decide to elect a leader, she was convinced Barret would get it and was taken aback when Cid got the vote of confidence. She believes this is the section where I fell for Cid's lovable roguish charm. Who knows, she could be right?

By this stage we've seen how Shinra are after the "Huge" materia, and are aiming towards Corel and Fort Condor. Not remembering where Fort Condor was, we spent an entertaining few minutes flying through the world until she saw the "Eagle statue" and parked up beside it. I won't bore you with the details of her tower defence game but suffice to say that her tactics could use some work. It ended up with Cid going out to save the day and to her utter dismay, she watched as the condor died. Since the date night incident in the Gold Saucer, she isn't sure what events are scripted to happen and which she has control over so I had to reassure her that this would always happen and restarting her game would not solve anything. Content in this, she proceeded towards Corel to complete the mission involving the train. This I was looking forward to as I remember the TV advert for FF7 had the train crashing FMV sequence and I hadn't seen it actually happen in the game and I will admit, I was confident I was about to see it. As she started the second train, she seemed to take a little while to get used to the alternating levers, and when she saw the 10 min countdown, she got a bit peeved at the idea of doing it for a full 10 mins. Thankfully after a few seconds she reached the other train and hopped over to begin the series of fights on the train.

The first two fights presented no difficulty, taking off 500-700HP per hit, she quickly dispatched the first two. She did have a slight hiccup with the iron giant as she had equipped RedXIII with a reflect ring and every time she cured all, she was curing the iron giant also but she took him out with a series of limit breaks with 4 minutes to spare for the final fight. Here she started to worry and after two rounds of physical attacks, cast Bolt3 twice to a devastating 6000 damage a piece, taking him out in less than 2 minutes. The last fight with the soldier was started and ended with Barret's Hammerblow limit break and to my surprise she actually managed to stop the train. Little bit disappointed but you can't have everything. When the kid then handed her the "Ultima" materia, her eyes lit up, "Ultima is better than huge right?!" and was very unimpressed with the fact you need to level up Ultima before you can use it.

After this we zoomed back towards Mideel to check on Tifa and the vegetable, just as Ultimate Weapon decided to make an appearance. Getting far too cocky, she hadn't saved in a while (just after getting Ultima) when she ran straight into him and within minutes, she had been wiped out. Shooting up from her relaxed position on the sofa, we were in vendetta mode as we spent about 10 mins preparing her battle array and sure enough, when prepared, there is very little she can't take on. Ultimate Weapon flew off leaving her very confused but not nearly as confused as she was about to get with the Zack/Cloud episode.

So Cloud and Tifa fell through the lifestream and we're at the part where most of the twists and tangles in the plot become uncovered. Before we went in, Zack was still "Evil Cloud", Cloud was a creation of Hojo, a failed Sephiroth clone, and Tifa was a messed up goodie two shoes who loved him enough to cover up the truth. As more and more of the plot became clear she began to get closer to the truth but not actually getting it until Cloud took his actual mask off. Right up until that point, she still was convinced that Cloud was in some way, a version of Zack, which is true in a way. She was also disappointed in hindsight with Aeris and Tifa's actions in Gongaga with Zack's parents. Although after some thought, she is slightly more forgiving towards Tifa as its almost stated that Tifa was completely unaware of Cloud's presence there 5 years ago. She was slightly more confused when Cloud manages to survive being impaled on the Masamune and this sparked another "is he human or what" thing but we have left that as pure adrenaline. She's also asking what happened to Zack and because its slightly more tricky to find that in the game, I'm not sure what to tell her. She does seem interested in as much of the storyline as Square can feed her so maybe Crisis Core will be another game for her to try.

So thats pretty much this week, we have just brought Cloud back on board the Highwind who has succinctly described everything in the lifestream so she's got a better understanding. She also, as she was turning it off, noted she has clocked up 40 hours of gameplay so far. Very happy with her progress and she seems to be back to the engrossed in the game state (we played for the guts of 4 hours yesterday).

Hopefully we'll have another update soon!

Advertisement