Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1916 Easter Rising Parade this Sunday in Dublin

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Maoltuile wrote: »

Those are fantastic pictures.

I think it's unfortunate that on the day the closest the general public could get was pretty much this :

Easter-2012-Commemoration00021.jpg

or this :

Easter-2012-Commemoration00003.jpg

The organisers of this event placed VIP's in a long line facing the GPO standing literally about 40 feet infront of the public, forming a perfect blocking line preventing the public from any kind of meaningful view. Yes the VIP;s would have had a perfect day, standing infront of the GPO with a perfect view of all proceedings with no members of the great unwashed in sight. Then after that off to the reception inside the GPO for more of the same.

Yes there were screens but if you were to organise this event with the intention of preventing the public enjoyment you could scarcely have done a better job.

Compare it to 2006 commemoration, or to the footage of 1966 event where the designers then sought to engage the public as much as possible. This time the public were presented with the backs of rows of lines of VIP's which included politicians along with signatories descendants etc. I genuinely hope the designers of this event do a better, more meaningful and inclusive job in the years to come. If I didn't know better I'd think the organisers sought to discourage public attendance at this.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭Maoltuile

Yes, I see very well what you mean. I thought the Padre's prayer was also more than a little... unusual in tone and content.

A certain Minister continuing to politicise his department, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Yes, I see very well what you mean. I thought the Padre's prayer was also more than a little... unusual in tone and content.

A certain Minister continuing to politicise his department, maybe.

a question, why is the army chaplin referred to a 'padre' in the Irish army? I thought only the English both military and civilian refer to the Catholic clergy thus?

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Fuinseog wrote: »
    a question, why is the army chaplin referred to a 'padre' in the Irish army? I thought only the English both military and civilian refer to the Catholic clergy thus?

There is no such thing as the English military.

To refer to the UK armed forces as solely English would be quite offensive to the Welsh, Scottish and Irish regiments who have made massive contributions over the years.

British :o

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

bwatson wrote: »
    There is no such thing as the English military.

To refer to the UK armed forces as solely English would be quite offensive to the Welsh, Scottish and Irish regiments who have made massive contributions over the years.

British :o

Didn't really answer the question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Tybalt wrote: »
    Didn't really answer the question

So?

It was never my intention to answer the question asked by him. From the blunt, obtuse nature of your post I think you knew this.

In truth, I know relatively little about your military and am not actually in a position to give a definitive answer.

Still, I was able to offer a correction on a mistake I believe he deliberately made! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Tybalt

bwatson wrote: »
    So?

It was never my intention to answer the question asked by him. From the blunt, obtuse nature of your post I think you knew this.

In truth, I know relatively little about your military and am not actually in a position to give a definitive answer.

Still, I was able to offer a correction on a mistake I believe he deliberately made! ;)
    I was actually just curious about chaplains in the Defence Forces being referred to as padre, as I didn't think it happened. I thought chaplains were just referred to by their title(Father, Monsignor, etc.). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭Dogwatch

Tybalt wrote: »
    I was actually just curious about chaplains in the Defence Forces being referred to as padre, as I didn't think it happened. I thought chaplains were just referred to by their title(Father, Monsignor, etc.). :)

It is not always obvious which religion the cleric belongs to, so the use of "padre" covers all eventualities. This is for UK military, dont know if same in PDF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

What are the plans for 2016? Will it be a large scale military parade showing off the military might of ROI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

What are the plans for 2016? Will it be a large scale military parade showing off the military might of ROI?

It would be hard to commemorate a military uprising without involving the military but my opinion is that wouldn't stop some in the current Fine Gael Labour govt from trying to do just that (assuming they are still in power in 2016). The only bright side is that Sean Gallagher will not be at the helm (considering he wanted a new 'less militaristic' national anthem).

I hope it is promoted with some forethought, isn't hijacked by 'progressive' minority elements and actually engages with the public rather than keeps them literally completely out of sight for the entire proceedings.

• Advertisement

Dogwatch wrote: »
    It is not always obvious which religion the cleric belongs to, so the use of "padre" covers all eventualities. This is for UK military, dont know if same in PDF

I have heard several Irish soldiers refer to the chaplin as 'padre' and sometimes feel the Irish army apes the British army too much. they need their own traditions. In Britain its usual in addressing Catholic priests. Originally it was to stress the foreigness of Roman Catholics. in this country the term seems to be only used by the Defence Forces.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

I have heard several Irish soldiers refer to the chaplin as 'padre' and sometimes feel the Irish army apes the British army too much. they need their own traditions. In Britain its usual in addressing Catholic priests. Originally it was to stress the foreigness of Roman Catholics. in this country the term seems to be only used by the Defence Forces.

I don't think there's anything wrong with using the term. Its a bit more informal than referring to them as "Chaplin to the Forces" - it should be remembered that many of the NCO's who steered the free state army through its early days and ensured that some kind of discipline was maintained were former brits and inevitably some things stuck, including slang. Tom Barrys Squarebashing post kilmichael was also a very "Brit" stiff upper lip thing to do when you think about it. Lifting completely irrelevant brit terms such as "the rock apes" is a different kettle of fish.

I have heard several Irish soldiers refer to chaplins to the forces as "Druids" or "Devil Chasers" if thats any better :D!

neilled wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything wrong with using the term. Its a bit more informal than referring to them as "Chaplin to the Forces" - it should be remembered that many of the NCO's who steered the free state army through its early days and ensured that some kind of discipline was maintained were former brits and inevitably some things stuck, including slang. Tom Barrys Squarebashing post kilmichael was also a very "Brit" stiff upper lip thing to do when you think about it. Lifting completely irrelevant brit terms such as "the rock apes" is a different kettle of fish.

I have heard several Irish soldiers refer to chaplins to the forces as "Druids" or "Devil Chasers" if thats any better :D!

What religions do the Irish army chaplains represent? I seem to remember something recently about special allowances they get, seems an outdated role in the new secular Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

What religions do the Irish army chaplains represent? I seem to remember something recently about special allowances they get, seems an outdated role in the new secular Ireland.

Christianity seems top of the religious tree in Ireland, if I'm not mistaken. As an aside, when I was in the BA we called ALL religious representatives 'padre' even though my cousin Malcolm was a rabbi. One of the most likeable Christian padres I ever met was the former station padre at RAF Laarbruch, Fr Enda Naughten - a real character who made Father Jack look like a teetotaller. His lunchtime refreshment, as I recall, was a mere half-pint of Guiness, which was half-consumed, and refilled with the Holy Amber fliuid from the Mill of the Bush.

Or two...

tac

Excellent troll :D

Excellent troll :D

Well sure we have more than infantry and a few motorcycles, why can't we have a full military parade like the french or other Europe nations?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

Like we had in 2006?

maybe RTE will show 'Insurrection' written by Hugh Leonard, a man who abhorred the men of violence.

I wonder will 16 Moore Street be restored by 2016 or will be be leveleld and replaced by a plaque?

BTW were the British army invited to the ceremony on Sunday? My vision of the proceedings was limited. it was almost as if the whole show was just for those on the stand.

maybe RTE will show 'Insurrection' written by Hugh Leonard, a man who abhorred the men of violence.

I wonder will 16 Moore Street be restored by 2016 or will be be leveleld and replaced by a plaque?

BTW were the British army invited to the ceremony on Sunday? My vision of the proceedings was limited. it was almost as if the whole show was just for those on the stand.

There was certainly a North American military officer there, as he was wandering around before the parade started. Whether the British were invited is a very good question - I can't see why not.

Is the "Insurrection" you refer to the 1966 TV dramatisation by RTÉ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

The chaplains are mainly RC, however there are COI chaplains as well. Chaplains and military forces go back millennia - telling troops that whatever god it is was on their side. Irish Chaplains in my experience aren't the belicose bible thumping individuals you sometimes encounter with other states (the yanks spring to mind), their approach is fairly "opt in if its your thing." I'm a fully signed up nonbeliever (most people take out the spiritual insurance and have whatever religion they were brought up in on their records,) however I'd say chaplain still have a place in military life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

neilled wrote: »
    Chaplains and military forces go back millennia

Youghal Camp 1956

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

There was certainly a North American military officer there, as he was wandering around before the parade started. Whether the British were invited is a very good question - I can't see why not.

Is the "Insurrection" you refer to the 1966 TV dramatisation by RTÉ?

The military attachés to the various embassies would have been invited.

Advertisement