Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the Best Classic Car to buy in Ireland

Options
  • 06-04-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all , I never bought a classic car before and I need to leverage any of you guys for your experience on this , I am looking for at car that is a realistic car here in Ireland , we have crap weather most of the time, I don't have a dry storage area to park it in, so it outside covered in a drive way.

I have always wanted one from the list
    (a) A Ford Capri
    (b) Ford Cortina Mark 3
    (c) Ford Granada mk1 coupe

I want to know what big regrets you have found while owning a Classic ? or are there any big problems , is it all just fun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

If you have no storage for keeping the car and servicing the car in I just wouldn't get one. While I love classic cars they need constant attention

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Would you not be better asking The Classic Cars forum?

I'd go for the Capri hands down. Awesome machines...

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd go for the Capri hands down. Awesome machines...
    I wouldn't go for any of them. Too common. The point of a classic car is to have something different to everything else. Most of the classics scene is filled with Fords

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for any of them. Too common. The point of a classic car is to have something different to everything else. Most of the classics scene is filled with Fords

I couldn't care less if it's classic or not. I've wanted to drive my very own Capri, Wear Aviators, Listen to Creedence and smoke fags with the sun shining and windows open since I was sucking on a teat.

I was born in the wrong era :(

I couldn't care less if it's classic or not. I've wanted to drive my very own Capri, Wear Aviators, Listen to Creedence and smoke fags with the sun shining and windows open since I was sucking on a teat.
    :(
    pretty much what I did in the SD1 on a Saturday

• Advertisement

Thought you sold that?

Thought you sold that?
    Hence why I referred to it in the past tense lol

Hence why I referred to it in the past tense lol

missed the a in "....on a Saturday" :o

Fords from that era will be fond of rusting.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,410 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Moved to Classic Cars, duplicate thread binned

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fords from that era will be fond of rusting.
    Everything from that era rusts it's just a matter of how much and where

I reckon the fords would rust more than the likes of a 70s or early 80s Merc , I am aware that cars from that era are prone to rusting.

RoverJames wrote: »

I reckon the fords would rust more than the likes of a 70s or early 80s Merc , I am aware that cars from that era are prone to rusting.
    Merc panels are fine but underneath they can disintegrate badly

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

If you like it buy it, don't buy a car because you think it might fit in with a certain crowd or look 'cool'.
    None of my cars are particularly desirable but I don't care! **** the begrudgers!:D
    I'd have much more time for a diehard enthusiast running a ratty Morris Marina on peanuts to give an example than a guy with say a mint Porsche and a bucket of cash to run it that only comes out on dry days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,561 ✭✭✭Blue850

Looking at the OP's list, how about a Reliant Scimitar, fibreglass bodywork, Ford mechanicals.

Rsouir3QzwvTsOE7lPPrqvQWv_1_md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tomorrow i'll be taking the bimmer to work
    she's at least 170bhp and thats a big straight six bhp not weak ass bhp
    20mpg tax an insurance are practically free
    makes me happy

40752_10150310688085341_791955340_15871242_6362137_n.jpg

am i biased? too right i am
    but we all are; buy what you like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Tigger wrote: »
    tomorrow i'll be taking the bimmer to work
    she's at least 170bhp and thats a big straight six bhp not weak ass bhp
    20mpg tax an insurance are practically free
    makes me happy

40752_10150310688085341_791955340_15871242_6362137_n.jpg

am i biased? too right i am
    but we all are; buy what you like

Beatiful car and the economics aren't bad either ,,enjoy it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i'd of thought older vw are the best to buuy as their popular but then again their are Alot of choices...

and as time goes on it makes me mad that im not currently either fixing or driving anything really classic but theirs nothing unique enough up as ill need to upgrade Very soon... :'(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Blue850 wrote: »
    Looking at the OP's list, how about a Reliant Scimitar, fibreglass bodywork, Ford mechanicals.

Rsouir3QzwvTsOE7lPPrqvQWv_1_md.jpg

Chassis rusts and they have dicky electrics. The Essex v6 is great though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Classic cars and parked in the drive will only result in a heap of rust.
    Thousands of people bought classic cars from the UK, brought them over here and parked them in the drive. They have all disappeared, they where not sold or crushed, they simply rusted away.
    OP, if you don't have a garage to put it, any pre mid 80's car is not a good idea. Probably better off from the 90's onward.
    Classic cars usually don't get used a lot, especially during the winter and having one parked outside during that time is just asking for trouble, not only bodywork, but fragile electrics too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Chassis rusts and they have dicky electrics. The Essex v6 is great though.

Better the chassis than the whole car though.

shagman wrote: »
    Better the chassis than the whole car though.

Not really sure there.
    Some cars with separate chassis can look A1 on the outside, but the chassis can be rotten underneath. Very bad, not safe.
    I would go for a tatty looking car with a good chassis anytime.

shawnee wrote: »
    Beatiful car and the economics aren't bad either ,,enjoy it :D

20 mpg not that bad?:eek: What would you consider bad?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

If you like it buy it, don't buy a car because you think it might fit in with a certain crowd or look 'cool'.
    None of my cars are particularly desirable but I don't care! **** the begrudgers!:D
    I'd have much more time for a diehard enthusiast running a ratty Morris Marina on peanuts to give an example than a guy with say a mint Porsche and a bucket of cash to run it that only comes out on dry days.

Valid point , I would be in the same vain, I will buy what I want , and the rest can buy a car Everyone has,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

buy the best looking car that you can afford to maintain. and enjoy it!!

don't worry about being rare, unique ... etc
    who want's to be the only guy who owns a car that handles like a wheelbarrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Morlock wrote: »
    Valid point , I would be in the same vain, I will buy what I want , and the rest can buy a car Everyone has,

Despite my name, (owned xx Capris over the years ), I'm now a Merc man. They're easy to fix (IME) and the old ones are semi ok. A W124 is a nice everyday yoke and you can get parts from Otto on the Belgard rd ( he has a W116 himself ). Despite the Capri being 'the car you always promised yourself' (ad) I'd say most people prefer to promise themselves a Merc ( 'O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz' - Janis Joplin :cool:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Capri wrote: »
    Despite my name, (owned xx Capris 2CV's over the years ), I'm now a Merc man.

:-)

Capri wrote: »
    Despite my name, (owned xx Capris over the years ), I'm now a Merc man. They're easy to fix (IME) and the old ones are semi ok. A W124 is a nice everyday yoke and you can get parts from Otto on the Belgard rd ( he has a W116 himself ). Despite the Capri being 'the car you always promised yourself' (ad) I'd say most people prefer to promise themselves a Merc ( 'O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz' - Janis Joplin :cool:)

I had two W123's in my life. Great yokes, huge and comfy, like driving a big sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's no best classic to buy OP - buy for yourself, buy something you really, really like and will look back at with admiration every time you walk away from the car.

Advertisement