Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What is the Best Classic Car to buy in Ireland

• 06-04-2012 9:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi all , I never bought a classic car before and I need to leverage any of you guys for your experience on this , I am looking for at car that is a realistic car here in Ireland , we have crap weather most of the time, I don't have a dry storage area to park it in, so it outside covered in a drive way.

I have always wanted one from the list
    (a) A Ford Capri
    (b) Ford Cortina Mark 3
    (c) Ford Granada mk1 coupe

I want to know what big regrets you have found while owning a Classic ? or are there any big problems , is it all just fun

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

If you have no storage for keeping the car and servicing the car in I just wouldn't get one. While I love classic cars they need constant attention

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Would you not be better asking The Classic Cars forum?

I'd go for the Capri hands down. Awesome machines...

MugMugs wrote: »
    I'd go for the Capri hands down. Awesome machines...
    I wouldn't go for any of them. Too common. The point of a classic car is to have something different to everything else. Most of the classics scene is filled with Fords

johnos1984 wrote: »
    I wouldn't go for any of them. Too common. The point of a classic car is to have something different to everything else. Most of the classics scene is filled with Fords

I couldn't care less if it's classic or not. I've wanted to drive my very own Capri, Wear Aviators, Listen to Creedence and smoke fags with the sun shining and windows open since I was sucking on a teat.

I was born in the wrong era :(

I couldn't care less if it's classic or not. I've wanted to drive my very own Capri, Wear Aviators, Listen to Creedence and smoke fags with the sun shining and windows open since I was sucking on a teat.
    :(
    pretty much what I did in the SD1 on a Saturday

• Advertisement

Thought you sold that?

Thought you sold that?
    Hence why I referred to it in the past tense lol

Hence why I referred to it in the past tense lol

missed the a in "....on a Saturday" :o

Fords from that era will be fond of rusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Moved to Classic Cars, duplicate thread binned

• Advertisement

RoverJames wrote: »
    Fords from that era will be fond of rusting.
    Everything from that era rusts it's just a matter of how much and where

I reckon the fords would rust more than the likes of a 70s or early 80s Merc , I am aware that cars from that era are prone to rusting.

RoverJames wrote: »

I reckon the fords would rust more than the likes of a 70s or early 80s Merc , I am aware that cars from that era are prone to rusting.
    Merc panels are fine but underneath they can disintegrate badly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

If you like it buy it, don't buy a car because you think it might fit in with a certain crowd or look 'cool'.
    None of my cars are particularly desirable but I don't care! **** the begrudgers!:D
    I'd have much more time for a diehard enthusiast running a ratty Morris Marina on peanuts to give an example than a guy with say a mint Porsche and a bucket of cash to run it that only comes out on dry days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Looking at the OP's list, how about a Reliant Scimitar, fibreglass bodywork, Ford mechanicals.

Rsouir3QzwvTsOE7lPPrqvQWv_1_md.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

tomorrow i'll be taking the bimmer to work
    she's at least 170bhp and thats a big straight six bhp not weak ass bhp
    20mpg tax an insurance are practically free
    makes me happy

40752_10150310688085341_791955340_15871242_6362137_n.jpg

am i biased? too right i am
    but we all are; buy what you like

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭argosy2006

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

Tigger wrote: »
    tomorrow i'll be taking the bimmer to work
    she's at least 170bhp and thats a big straight six bhp not weak ass bhp
    20mpg tax an insurance are practically free
    makes me happy

40752_10150310688085341_791955340_15871242_6362137_n.jpg

am i biased? too right i am
    but we all are; buy what you like

Beatiful car and the economics aren't bad either ,,enjoy it :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

i'd of thought older vw are the best to buuy as their popular but then again their are Alot of choices...

and as time goes on it makes me mad that im not currently either fixing or driving anything really classic but theirs nothing unique enough up as ill need to upgrade Very soon... :'(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Blue850 wrote: »
    Looking at the OP's list, how about a Reliant Scimitar, fibreglass bodywork, Ford mechanicals.

Rsouir3QzwvTsOE7lPPrqvQWv_1_md.jpg

Chassis rusts and they have dicky electrics. The Essex v6 is great though.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Classic cars and parked in the drive will only result in a heap of rust.
    Thousands of people bought classic cars from the UK, brought them over here and parked them in the drive. They have all disappeared, they where not sold or crushed, they simply rusted away.
    OP, if you don't have a garage to put it, any pre mid 80's car is not a good idea. Probably better off from the 90's onward.
    Classic cars usually don't get used a lot, especially during the winter and having one parked outside during that time is just asking for trouble, not only bodywork, but fragile electrics too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭shagman

Chassis rusts and they have dicky electrics. The Essex v6 is great though.

Better the chassis than the whole car though.

shagman wrote: »
    Better the chassis than the whole car though.

Not really sure there.
    Some cars with separate chassis can look A1 on the outside, but the chassis can be rotten underneath. Very bad, not safe.
    I would go for a tatty looking car with a good chassis anytime.

shawnee wrote: »
    Beatiful car and the economics aren't bad either ,,enjoy it :D

20 mpg not that bad?:eek: What would you consider bad?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Morlock

If you like it buy it, don't buy a car because you think it might fit in with a certain crowd or look 'cool'.
    None of my cars are particularly desirable but I don't care! **** the begrudgers!:D
    I'd have much more time for a diehard enthusiast running a ratty Morris Marina on peanuts to give an example than a guy with say a mint Porsche and a bucket of cash to run it that only comes out on dry days.

Valid point , I would be in the same vain, I will buy what I want , and the rest can buy a car Everyone has,

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭davoxx

buy the best looking car that you can afford to maintain. and enjoy it!!

don't worry about being rare, unique ... etc
    who want's to be the only guy who owns a car that handles like a wheelbarrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Morlock wrote: »
    Valid point , I would be in the same vain, I will buy what I want , and the rest can buy a car Everyone has,

Despite my name, (owned xx Capris over the years ), I'm now a Merc man. They're easy to fix (IME) and the old ones are semi ok. A W124 is a nice everyday yoke and you can get parts from Otto on the Belgard rd ( he has a W116 himself ). Despite the Capri being 'the car you always promised yourself' (ad) I'd say most people prefer to promise themselves a Merc ( 'O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz' - Janis Joplin :cool:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭2cv

Capri wrote: »
    Despite my name, (owned xx Capris 2CV's over the years ), I'm now a Merc man.

:-)

Capri wrote: »
    Despite my name, (owned xx Capris over the years ), I'm now a Merc man. They're easy to fix (IME) and the old ones are semi ok. A W124 is a nice everyday yoke and you can get parts from Otto on the Belgard rd ( he has a W116 himself ). Despite the Capri being 'the car you always promised yourself' (ad) I'd say most people prefer to promise themselves a Merc ( 'O Lord won't you buy me a Mercedes Benz' - Janis Joplin :cool:)

I had two W123's in my life. Great yokes, huge and comfy, like driving a big sofa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

There's no best classic to buy OP - buy for yourself, buy something you really, really like and will look back at with admiration every time you walk away from the car.

2cv wrote: »
    :-)

sorry 2CV - owned quite a few of them as well :rolleyes: - forget when I stopped counting my 'bargain purchases' but 2CV's were well represented (+ 1 Dyane )

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Rudy Jakma

All depends on what you want and what for. And on your budget.
    My current classic is a 1975 DAF. No, not a truck or a bus, a car.
    It is powered by a 1.3 Renault engine, similar to the one that went into the Renault 5.
    There are still sources for parts for this now rare classic. For engine parts (e.g. filters, plugs etc.) I just specify the R5.
    Pro: It runs well and is reliable enough. The body needs occasional attention. Most cars are not built to last more than 7 years. When you buy something 35 years old, or older and: still going, then you may assume that it probably has received better than average maintenance over the years but even so, count on regular work to keep it in shape.
    The choice will depend on what you want, your budget and, more importantly: what happens to be available for the right price.
    Unless of course you are able and willing to spend fortunes on rare classics. But I am only talking about cars that once graced the street in front of some proud, middle- class owner's home, the envy of his (sorry, rarely her) neighbours.
    If you do not need the car for daily transport, by all means select something a bit flashy. A boy's dream still remembered and suddenly available. But be careful: Many (including myself) got blinkered when we found the car that in our younger years was out of reach - totally - and now is up for sale for a price that you can just about afford now that your children have grown up.
    Often these cars present problems that even a thorough test drive will not reveal.
    So if you are looking for something that will give you a bit of fun and will remain affordable - and will not totally deplete your bank account, forcing a premature sale for next to nothing a short while after - then go for something modest and with technology that will allow you to locate spares. The older British cars have a lot of commonality, Austin - Morris became BMC Leyland and the A and B engines were used in many cars of the period, be it MG, Morris Minor, Austin A30, even Standard.
    Then there were Fords. The old Anglias were common as muck.
    Rover, less so but even so, parts are usually available.
    For all classics: Enquire first with a local club. Some models had specific weaknesses that experts in the club will find if you engage them.
    My own DAF has a peculiar automatic gear called "Variomatic". It transmits engine power through a system with belts and pulleys with varying diameter. It first came out in a small 600 cc car in 1959 but eventually DAF threw in the towel: they were too small to maintain a world-wide sales effort with corresponding dealer back-up. The automatic gear, an absolute jewel in it's day, made the car very suitable for the elderly so young people would not be seen dead in one. But they still have an acceleration that will make other road users gasp with surprise when moving off from traffic lights, especially if side-by-side on a dual carriageway.
    The belt-and-pulley gears allow the car to travel nearly as fast in reverse as forward and many surviving examples were eventually finished off in "demolition races" in reverse. Even though DAF cars are now very rare, spares back-up is good and they do not fetch big money.
    This was my rationale for buying a DAF, the reason for buying a classic is usually very cheap tax and insurance.
    So what are the cons?
    I have buried them in the above but mainly: Expect problems associated with ageing components.
    Expect rust and stay on top of anti-rust treatment.
    A classic in general needs more regular maintenance.
    If it requires restoration: Unless the car is a rare classic like a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, a Bugatti, a Bentley 4.5 litre or other exotic car, you can pour a fortune into it and never will get even a fraction back. So unless you have money to spare, or want to own and use the car for a long time NEVER ever buy a car that needs a lot of work. Worse, you will soon discover during the process that other areas will have to be tackled as well. Many classic cars become a bottomless money pit.
    My personal advise is: Accept that you may not be able to find the EXACT car of your dreams, or at least not for a price that is reasonable, and instead allow a compromise between it and a reasonably-priced and working car that once sold in the hundreds of thousands so that spares are still cheaply available.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Capri86

I miss my Capri. Was my every day runaround for over 2 years. Always brought a smile to my face. But without dry storage I watched as it suffered badly over those years. I couldn't keep on top of the work so it had to move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

I've been running classics daily for years now
    I would not go for a UK (or ex) car unless it was restored properly or has a galvanised body. Over
    90% of UK classics i've seen turn out to be rotten.

Don't mind people when they say don't get a classic if you don't have a garage to store and work on it. I've nine It would be nice but I know loads of people running classics with no indoor facilities. Classics if looked after should be no more unreliable that modern cars. In a lot of cases you will get more warning of problems gonna happen instead on it stopping on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

deckie27 wrote: »
    I've been running classics daily for years now
    I would not go for a UK (or ex) car unless it was restored properly or has a galvanised body. Over
    90% of UK classics i've seen turn out to be rotten.

90% of mine were from UK, only one was ****. :p

• Advertisement

Feck of Kenny. You haven't both 10 classics from the UK.

No, just 5. I lied about the 90%. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If you have no storage for keeping the car and servicing the car in I just wouldn't get one. While I love classic cars they need constant attention

There are older classics that get zinc primer, and there are enough cars old enough for classic insurance which were galvanised property in a non botched, non Italian way, say a Toyota Celica from the 90s or a Toyota Carina (even the older ones were rust free, say a Carina II from 1985) or a Honda NSX from the same era. Also a cover will suffice if a car is not too old. Hillman Avengers were good at avoiding rust, better than say FIAT Miafioris:D.

Just thinking, we've had a very similar car history -GT, wrong 'un, oval, westy and 924.. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭shawnee

The choices are simple , buy one in Ireland which has been wrecked from potholes or bad roads and generally hasn't been looked after , alternatively buy one from UK that has service history (unknown in Ireland) and perhaps has been driven in UK where they look after the roads. This includes salting them when frosty . Personally I would examine the underside of the car and if it is not damaged would definitely buy UK.:P

• Advertisement

Just thinking, we've had a very similar car history -GT, wrong 'un, oval, westy and 924.. :pac:

Yip
    With the Westy been identical

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

I've always liked Opel Manta B's (1975-1988 model)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭w124man

Classics if looked after should be no more unreliable that modern cars.

Emmm ..... really? :eek:

w124man wrote: »
    Emmm ..... really? :eek:

We'll in my experience of vw's and a Porsche 924

Edit
    PS.
    I'm only realising this is an old thread.

Edit
    PS.

:P:P

Could be a 'classic' thread :P:P:P:P

Edit
    PS.

So a thirty year old Golf would do 60,000 miles in a year with only regular servicing?

:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

You rode those odds pretty well.

I don't tend to listen to people who tell you that if you don't have a garage don't get a classic, a garage is a luxury a lot of people can't afford and that doesn't mean you should be excluded from classic car ownership but it would be advisable to find storage for the winter months if possible.

w124man wrote: »
    So a thirty year old Golf would do 60,000 miles in a year with only regular servicing?

:eek:

Ok

It probably won't but people don't buy classics even in daily use it they intend to do 60000 miles a year

Ok

It probably won't but people don't buy classics even in daily use it they intend to do 60000 miles a year

Yeah I know. Just pushing .....

Buy a Merc, VW, Porsche or a Toyota!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

I have the same idea as the OP. I want a daily run-around car, but not one that will rob me with tax and insurance, and also one that looks cool! So I was thinking of buying a W123 or W124. They'd be modern enough to compete with newer cars, still considered to be high-end cars, and cheap to tax and insure. Am I right in saying it counts as a classic after 20 years, ie 1993?

One thing that wrecks my head though, is the mileage. No car I've looked at yet has honest mileage. How can someone stand there and tell you that in its 23 years of life, this car has only done half the mileage of a 10 year-younger car? I do about 10k miles a year, that means a 23 year old car should have about 230,000miles on the clock. I think the highest I've seen was 160,000. How do they turn back the clock? Is it just that the car has done 1 million miles and gone right the way round again?

• Advertisement
Advertisement