Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Cycling Achievements

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

I did my first bit of off roading on the hybrid yesterday evening.
    I cycled out of the county and was delayed with tea and bikkies at a relatives house. To make up time and the fact I had only one light (rear blinkie on LIDL helmet) I decided to take the towpath from ardclough to sallins, straight line & no traffic.
    Anyhow the canal is rather full so there many temporary fords accross the towpath. Going was good, but not firm and the rear wheel would slip and slide occasionally. Grass was long in places and ground is uneven even so I only came close to coming off once.
    Very,very enjoyable, I'm borrowing my brothers mountain bike to give that a lash up and down the towpath.

NJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

did 90km on saturday, overnighted and then repeated it today in reverse. longest ever done up to this was 60km so happy with myself. bit of sore legs tonite and a niggling pain behind left knee but overall so happy. must start thinking of getting clip in shoes if I keep it up, I'm a bit nervous of them though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

did 90km on saturday, overnighted and then repeated it today in reverse. longest ever done up to this was 60km so happy with myself. bit of sore legs tonite and a niggling pain behind left knee but overall so happy. must start thinking of getting clip in shoes if I keep it up, I'm a bit nervous of them though.

Well done!! From a fellow noob dont be nervous about the shoes. Get used to them in no time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Nirvanah

Completed my first 50km mtb trail.. Bruised and battered today but happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t.m

Did my first 100km yesterday, charity cycle in Oldcastle Co. Meath. And I'm feeling every bit of it today!

For the last 10km we had to cross the 'mountain' between Kells and Oldcastle. Sorry to say I had to do the walk of shame! A combination of being shattered, a cramp in my left leg and my new shoes hurting the outside of my foot put paid to that plan!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭calistro

t.m wrote: »
    Did my first 100km yesterday, charity cycle in Oldcastle Co. Meath. And I'm feeling every bit of it today!

For the last 10km we had to cross the 'mountain' between Kells and Oldcastle. Sorry to say I had to do the walk of shame! A combination of being shattered, a cramp in my left leg and my new shoes hurting the outside of my foot put paid to that plan!

Well done TM, that's not an easy climb especially after nearly 100k, nice ramp up near the top and a good long descent down to Oldcastle as your reward!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Broke 50km mark today :) 55km to be exact. 2 hours, 6 minutes. Average 2 mins 16sec per KM.

Not sure if this pace is average or below?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

ronanc15 wrote: »

Well done!! From a fellow noob dont be nervous about the shoes. Get used to them in no time!!

For some reason people always say that shoes take time to get used to and that most people fall at some stage because of them.
    It's a load of BS.
    You'll be used to them after your first spin in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Did my first week of commuting in SPDs, they actually slowed me down, evidently my hamstrings need building up.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,956 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

whacker00 wrote: »
    couldnt believe how much of an influence the wind has at one stage along the coast road at clontarf i felt like i was going nowhere :)
    The wind always seems relentless there - seems much worse than anywhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

Got the first 100k spin under my belt on Saturday, legs went a bit like lead for the last 15-20k but managed to keep the average up at 25.4kph. Good experience & great picking up little tips on here about snacking aloong the way as I definitely had a big slump at around 80k until I got some food into me. Nice route aswell, Clonee-Summerhill-Trim-Navan-Kentstown-Ashbourne-Kilbride-Clonee. Hopefully the weather stays decent and i'll head out for another long spin this weekend. 4 more weeks to go until a 200k fundraiser challenge!

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Altreab

Last tuesday July 17th i completed my first time trial at Batterstown. :) 21 Km in 66 minutes on a borrowed handcycle :) Thanks CycleIreland. First time on a handcycle on the roads apart from a few taster miles a couple of months back. I will be doing a lot more than taster sessions after this :):D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭zing

First century yesterday. Didn't push myself at all as I wasn't entirely sure I had the legs for it. Nice flat route -- Lucan -> Newcastle -> Celbridge -> Clonee -> Carbury -> Enfield and back to Lucan via Kilcock, Maynooth & Leixlip. Realised I'd only done around 93 or so when I was about 1km for home so threw on the ~10k route I used to do when I started off back in Jan/Feb to get myself over the 100k -- would have been seriously pi$$ed to have gone that far and not made the century. Needed to stop for a couple mins to give legs a quick stretch just before Maynooth. Avg speed just below 24 but I don't mind as this was more of a test to see if I could complete the 100k.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Completed the Meath Heritage 100km cycle today. My first organised cycle and my first century cycle :D Did it in 5 hours so I'm happy out?!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I fitted my BBB pedals and Look Keo cleats to my SPD-SL shoes last night and cycled around and around the back yard at the house for about 20min last night clipping out and in to get used to them. Went out for a 40k spin this morning and got on fine with them, the three smallest toes on my left foot got a bit numb around the 30k mark so I just unclipped and wiggled my foot about for a minute or so. I think I need to adjust them so my toes are pointing out slightly but maybe it's just a case of getting used to them. Heading out again on Wednesday on the same route so hopefully I'll be well adjusted to them by the time I get back from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭shaydy

After getting back on the bike this year, I completed my first ever 200k+ spin on Saturday. Prior to that I had only ever done a max 103k.

Galway to Dublin, in the glorious sunshine together with 37 other 'Road Warriors' in aid of a great cause. It was epic and one of the proudest moments of my life coming past the finish line!

Cycling on days like that just can't be beaten...........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I cycled to work. Wahoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I went into a shop and looked at a couple of bikes. It's a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

Today I set my new max speed record of 61.2km/k wahooo!!!!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭v6e5qzawyrc3jn

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭rich.d.berry

I don't know if spending money is an achievement, or not, but I bought myself an early Christmas gift. A Garmin Edge 500. :)

The real achievement is that I went for a spin with it and posted my first KOM when I uploaded the ride to Strava. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrECameraman

I cycled 130km in 5h 01

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

longshanks wrote: »
    I went into a shop and looked at a couple of bikes. It's a start.

gotta start somewhere :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

completed a 90 k cycle from haggardstown (outside dundalk), through castle bellingham, annagassan, clogherhead, termonfeckin, baltray, drogheda, and back through monsterboice, dunleer, ardee adn back home......

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

started cycling last summer and to celebrate my 50th I cycled Dublin to Birmingham via holyhead in two days

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭j@utis

got my first saddle sore :D suspect different leg lengths. no wahooo. grounded now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

first cycle over 30k though slightly miffed as the battery on my phone died about 4k from my house so Strava didnt get the full trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭dermo1990

Almost achieved my first century at 94.6km in 3:52. Kind of annoyed that i was 5km from the 100km mark, but theres only so many ways to take the long route home from Laragh

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭delynet

A few firsts today. Was with a group of 12

- first sub 3 hour 100k (2:58)
    - first 100k without stopping
    - first sub 5 hour 100 mile (4:42)
    - almost a non stop 100 mile. Had to stop when one guy fell

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭merc230ce

A week of firsts:
    My 1st ride >30k was a 75k on Saturday 25th (around Howth, up to Balbriggan via Malahide, and back) in 3:15.
    My 1st ride >100k was a 140k on Saturday 1st from Three Mile House in Monaghan to Portmarnock, via Carrickmacross, Ardee, Collon, Drogheda & Balbriggan. It was also:
    My 1st group ride - 60 of us did it for charity.

Officially hooked now :-)

Advertisement