Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie Cycling Achievements

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31 jumpgun

Dublintim wrote: »
    Slightly off topic lads, but Ive a Trek Hybrid and I try to cycle a few kilometers every day. Im based in Crumlin, but am looking for a decent scenic route to cycle, does anyone have any ideas? I generally just go to the Pheno but am getting bored of it at this stage? Also, would you recommend joining a cycling club, or does it make any difference?:o

This route is nice should take about 1 hour maybe a bit more the climb is a tough on. http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/82626035/?open_ive_done=1&new_route=1

Club wise Leisurecycling.ie is a club I am in we cycle and some of us train to do sportive but we but we do not race. I joint a few months ago and it has really help me with my fitness and confidences on the bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 offaly odonohue

Cool thread,

I got a bike on the BTW during the summer last year, mainly due to petrol costs...my commute to work is a 25k round trip.

Play alot of GAA so fitness has always been decent.

Was trying to raise awareness during November for the Movember campaign (other than a shocking tashe)...so I decided to do a charity cycle. I cycled solo from Clara, Co. Offaly to Courtown, Co. Wexford (150k) Probably one of the most rewarding things i've ever done...raised over 1200E too.

Injured at the mo...so no recent achievements :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭colm_gti

Took up cycling in (late) November of last year having dislocated my shoulder playing rugby the previous month (the last straw). Have since gone from thinking 20km was a long spin to doing roughly twice that distance two evenings a week, and roughly five/six times that distance on a weekend.

Registered for my first event (KARE Tour de Foothills) this weekend, will be posting in here again if I finish it :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

colm_gti wrote: »
    Registered for my first event (KARE Tour de Foothills) this weekend, will be posting in here again if I finish it :P

See you there. Looking forward to it. Enjoyed it last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

Dublintim wrote: »
    Slightly off topic lads, but Ive a Trek Hybrid and I try to cycle a few kilometers every day. Im based in Crumlin, but am looking for a decent scenic route to cycle, does anyone have any ideas? I generally just go to the Pheno but am getting bored of it at this stage? Also, would you recommend joining a cycling club, or does it make any difference?:o

Out to howth along the cycle way along the sea very level all the way there and back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭Bigus

I bought a new road bike end of feb with the long term goal of cycling to Wexford from south Dublin at some stage this year.
    I'm mid forties and overweight , did around 40 to 50 k each Sunday with a new regime of no alcohol Saturday nights.
    Went to set out to meet mates in mondello one Sunday knowing I might turn back at saggart, continued on to Newcastle and loosened up on the flat Kildare countryside . I knew if I overdid it I could get a lift back from mondello so carried on. Got there had a quick sandwich with the lads and cup of tea. Headed back home. Round trip 90 km. Not as knackered and quicker recovery than expected.
    50 km the next Sunday and the following Sunday got a lift up to Sally gap and cycled to wexford via laragh rathdrum wooden bridge,ark low,Gordy,ballycanew,killenagh,kilmuckridge,blackwater,.

Job done bet won, but where to now ?
    Apart from the hills I feel could go anywhere now with an early start.
    Trying to build up to killakee from rathfarnham every second eve now,so I can do the whole Wexford route door to door,on the back roads.
    Try to get the missus to go road bike too but it's back to the hybrid when I,m out with her.
    Heading to Bantry for a few night s and will bring the hybrids in the car. Any suggestions of where to drive to and do a 40 to 60 k loop from where the car is parked, or of course go direct from Bantry on the bikes, but I find combining bikes with car gets us to more remote places !:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Fatbiker

Targetting the tour of Sligo Sportive 60k on 6th May. ( Anyone think this is too optimistic???)
    I intend to increase my distance to 18/20/25 over the next week, then increase to 35k and 45k....
    I'm in a similar physical position as you. I started last year and am up to 80mins, round trip of about 27k, hilly up and downhill back. My concern about the Sligo sportive would be th hills. I find the hills tough so I don't stray from my chosen route. Take care and good luck. FB

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

As part of my first ever tour, I cycled my first ever 100 miler. :) today!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Have yet to do more than 70km on my hybrid.

Had my first go at downhill MTBing today. I was terrible and really only started to loosen up by the end of it.

Definitely want another go though

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Since dusting down my old raleigh in the shed last May/June and deciding to try cycling (due to no longer being able to run) I have now

spent 2,000 euro on cycling relating items. WOOP WOOP

(I thought this would be a cheap way to keep fit!!!!)

P.s Don't tell the wife;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Another newbie cycling acheivement tonight, but not one i'm so proud of...my first spectacular fall from the bike:( Right at the end of my spin, in Ballyvaughan it starts to hail so i start to go a bit faster to get back to the car which was parked at the local petrol station. There is about a cm or 2 rise from the road into the entrance of the petrol station. Not sure if i hit it at the wrong angle, it was hail or inattention (probably all three) but the next thing i was flat out on the concrete on my side. I had an audience as well...people gathered at the petrol station which was serving as the registration point for a car rally, plus a couple of cars going past and a man walking up the road:o The bike i think is ok...havent had a chance to look at it properly, however i am nursing a very sore elbow at the moment that i can't straighten and hurts to move. Am icing it and hoping it isn't more serioulsy hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Since dusting down my old raleigh in the shed last May/June and deciding to try cycling (due to no longer being able to run) I have now

spent 2,000 euro on cycling relating items. WOOP WOOP

(I thought this would be a cheap way to keep fit!!!!)

P.s Don't tell the wife;)

Snap, on both the reason to start cycling and the amount spent so far. And the spousal deception re the actual cost :)

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

OUCH!!!!!i feel your pain!!fell for the fourth time since i started last september on a spin with a group last night...it was no ones fault though,each time ive fallen ive just forgotten to click out of the pedals!!!apparently this is a common newbie boo boo,pass the ice pack when your done!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Donelson

Ah yeah, I've done the fallen over while clipped in at least ten times now, I almost have a technique at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭daludo

such a feeling of pure helplessness as your falling,not to talk of the embarrasment!!bought new pair of cleets on friday,might help to keep me upright a bit longer!!couldnt believe how worn the old ones were,only had em since xmas!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 t.m

Finally got my B2W sorted out and took delivery last Friday.

Got out for a 40km cycle around North Dublin on Sunday morning. Thoroughly enjoyed it!

50km+ cycle planned this Sunday morning. And preferably with the sunshine again...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 gicko

Im a newbie but completed the greenway cycle form westport to achill sound and then onto north achill where we booked into a hostel for the weekend. Completed about 65 K friday, 50k on the saturday around achill(fantastic views/hills!!!) and then 60k back to westport on sunday.. Legs were a little sore but rear end was in tatters!!. Bought a Cube SL cross and kitted out with rack and panniers. Did the job nicely. Defo have the bug now and cabt wait to get back out. Going to train for the wicklow 100 or 200 if im fit enough..

Gman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭keane=cock

newbie to cycling but first time on a bike in about an year and a a half today (and a little over 2 months ago i ruptured ligaments in my ankle). planning on cycling to work tomorrow although i was fairly tired today but i did take a few hills in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

gicko wrote: »
    Im a newbie but completed the greenway cycle form westport to achill sound and then onto north achill where we booked into a hostel for the weekend. Completed about 65 K friday, 50k on the saturday around achill(fantastic views/hills!!!) and then 60k back to westport on sunday.. Legs were a little sore but rear end was in tatters!!. Bought a Cube SL cross and kitted out with rack and panniers. Did the job nicely. Defo have the bug now and cabt wait to get back out. Going to train for the wicklow 100 or 200 if im fit enough..

Gman

Nice :) I did part of the greenway last year - it wasnt open all the way to achill at the time. Must organise a weekend away to do the whole thing now.
    keane=cock wrote: »
    newbie to cycling but first time on a bike in about an year and a a half today (and a little over 2 months ago i ruptured ligaments in my ankle). planning on cycling to work tomorrow although i was fairly tired today but i did take a few hills in.

Fair play - how did the ankle hold up?

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭slfcarro5

So have being cycling to work for the last month or so (about 25km round trip) and decided to join a club last week. Went out for the first spin today and did over 70km. Delighted with it got a bit tried at the end and over a few hills but otherwise wasn't too bad. Didn't think I would be able to do that distance as I have done nowhere near it before so happy out. Defo gonna keep it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

One of the things you should never underestimate is the benefit of the cycle commute, especially when you're just starting out. It's generally known as "base miles" - time spent on the bike doing nothing specifically. Even if you're doing 50 relatively easy km in and out of work per week, then that's 50km that another newbie isn't doing.
    They are also great for your body learning how to recover, both because it gets used to cycling every day, but also for that tough Monday after you've done a 150km cycle the day before, where your legs get to stretch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Tomorrow is going to be exactly a year since I started cycling. A couple months back I got an Android phone and discovered the beauty and pain of Strava.

Today I got my first KOM! :D

Was also just a second behind the top guy in another segment but that one is marked as hazardous so the leaderboard is not shown on the main site (it's visible on the app though).

Now, if not for the two guys whose names I shall not speak, I might actually be able to get something else from the local hills. I might need another year or two to get anywhere near those sort of speeds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Kudos on the KOM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Kudos on the KOM
    +1, and where is it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭BMKN

Only cycling a year, Love this thread what a way to boast :) I completed my first century ride in 5hrs 33 mins, and have done nearly 800miles this month. Treated myself to clipless shoes and pedals and a new helmet

before you know if you'll be on about watts and stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

Kudos on the KOM
    RT66 wrote:
    +1, and where is it?

Thanks guys. The segment is going out from Harolds Cross towards Terenure.
    It's a little bit tricky most times since it's in the city and there are some traffic lights, so if you don't time it right then it becomes very difficult.

This time I got lucky, was out on the missus's road bike, had no red lights and very few cars on the road, so didn't have to stop :) (still can't crack the 50kmh mark on that segment).

There was another guy riding behind me who posted the second time on that segment. He was on a white Focus Cayo with a very loud rear hub, could hear him from quite a distance.

Well, since I've now said where the segment is I fully expect somebody to truly and completely smash the current time of 3:33 :D

its probably being beaten as we speak!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 offaly odonohue

Did my first ever night cycle during the week, on shift work from 8pm till 4am at the moment (my work is 25K round trip commute)

It was exciting and scary at the same time!!The commute is along a main road with little or no road lights...I thanked my local bike shop for there advice and help in 'keeping me lit'. Hoping to commute to work over the next few months (flipping crazy petrol prices)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭fishtastico

Had my first proper cycle today. It was only about 30km out around Howth and back, but it was great fun, and I hope to increase the distance next week. Also, my thanks to whoever recommended I get a pair of bib shorts. Those things are great.

Advertisement