Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How you doin' - Cool Vids Feedback thread

• 05-04-2012 8:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Hello my good friends. We haven't had one of these for a while

how_are_you42.jpg

Some of you may have noticed (or if you are subbed to the forum you may not have noticed) that we got moved to a shiny new forum a while back

I just wanted to check in and see how people are getting on and if they see ways in which we can improve the forum

I think we are ticking along nicely but there is no harm in throwing it open to see what everyone else thinks

Myself and the other Mods will do our best to answer any questions or concerns people have

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

111e3.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭RandolphEsq

Being banned from After Hours made accessing this forum with this account impossible, but not anymore!
    14ad9fe8-5b20-43de-a558-d07ccb62a772.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

YLYL, the thanks feature HAS to be taken away.

People post just to get thanks.
    People would just post pictures they thought were funny rather than sort of funny pics.

Also the post of the day is usually a LYLY post and all the witty posts from AH and the likes don't get seen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

Samich wrote: »

People would just post pictures they thought were funny rather than sort of funny pics.

Also the post of the day is usually a LYLY post and all the witty posts from AH and the likes don't get seen.
    I think the Thanks feature works well, It helps me decide which Comic strips, pictures etc... to actully read, and which are actully generally not funny.
    Simple solution, Dont Thanks the "sort of funny" photo's :p
    also humour is subjective... :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

Mousey- wrote: »
    I think the Thanks feature works well, It helps me decide which Comic strips, pictures etc... to actully read, and which are actully generally not funny.
    Simple solution, Dont Thanks the "sort of funny" photo's :p
    also humour is subjective... :pac:

If humour is subjective, then why do you only look at the ones that the other people find funny? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I think this is easily one of the best forums on Boards and it should just be allowed to keep on truckin' as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

First off, I love this forum.
    I made this recommendation a while back in a PM to Penn (I think, so many damn name changes Barraington .. .) so I'll just post it here again. :) I think a "Golden" threads collection of YLYL, Funny Gifs, Your Interent Videos, DeMovs, etc. classics. These would constitute solely a collection of posts with over a set number of thanks (200?). For example as well as having YLYL 1,2,3 you'd also have YLYL gold or something to that effect.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭Bluesteel7

Jernal wrote: »
    I made this recommendation a while back in a PM to Penn (I think, so many damn name changes Barraington .. .) so I'll just post it here again. :) I think a "Golden" threads collection of YLYL, Funny Gifs, Your Interent Videos, DeMovs, etc. classics. These would constitute solely a collection of posts with over a set number of thanks (200?). For example as well as having YLYL 1,2,3 you'd also have YLYL gold or something to that effect.:)

Best idea I have heard in a long time! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,127 ✭✭✭✭Leeg17

-dog pic-

Are ya well? Cos yer lookin' well! :p

On a more serious note I don't really have much to suggest for the running of the forum, the modding is swift, fair imo and very much appreciated :)

Maybe have a stickied thread with a 'best of' threads for new people in the forum.. like the Photoshop archive, pictures that shook the world etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Lighter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

Maybe once every so often (once a week?) delete otherwise blank "repost" posts? Would help keep quality in the threads instead of, for example, YLYL4 showing up with a sizable proportion of part 3 being dead posts, as will surely be the case? Should hopefully make people check recent posts, there seems to be a plague of people putting duplicates right after the original funneh -.-

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

4 for you Glen Coco! you go Glen Coco!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I just wanted to check in and see how people are getting on

gay_al.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Was there any particular reason I said no to this (I don't remember. I was probably drunk)? It could be something we can look into, though (just thinking out loud here) it'd probably have to be contained to one thread (ie. No separate threads for Golden YLYL, Golden Demovs, Golden gifs etc... just have one Golden Thread). I think that was my main issue with the suggestion as if we had to stick all those threads to the top of the forum, it'd become too cluttered. Or I suppose we could link to separate threads from the charter and people access it that way.

Other than that, the only issue is sorting through the threads to find those posts. Don't know if we can just sort the threads by thanks or if we'd have to go through each page of each thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Samich wrote: »

There have been a couple of threads in feedback about this "issue"

Thanks can't be taken away from a thread, it would ahve to be taken away at a forum level

Unless it is forced upon us from a higher level then that wont be happening and from the feedback threads it seems the majority of people don't have a major issue with it

Why shouldn't posts in YLYL or indeed anyother thread get thanks, if people have enjoyed them enough to press the button then they deserve it

My suggestion would be that the witty posts in Ah should be funnier if they want to get post of the day, most of those posts are posted just to get thanks too

That is a great idea

I will get working on it over the weekend, it will be a pretty big task and might take a while to catch up on everything from the begining but I do agree it would be worthwhile

The level of thanks would have to be on a sliding scale, as in the bar would be pretty high for a post from YLYL to get in whereas less thanks weould be required from Demotivationals etc as less people look at those threads
    Leeg17 wrote: »
    Are ya well? Cos yer lookin' well! :p

Why you smotth talking devil, I am all aflutter :p
    Maybe have a stickied thread with a 'best of' threads for new people in the forum.. like the Photoshop archive, pictures that shook the world etc..

I have an allergic reation to having too many stickies in a forum, I don't like clutter but I will see where I can fit this in, it might sit well with the suggestion from Jernal above
    Elmidena wrote: »
    Maybe once every so often (once a week?) delete otherwise blank "repost" posts? Would help keep quality in the threads instead of, for example, YLYL4 showing up with a sizable proportion of part 3 being dead posts, as will surely be the case? Should hopefully make people check recent posts, there seems to be a plague of people putting duplicates right after the original funneh -.-

We edit out reposts because some people find them annoying and to make it easier for them to scroll past them

We can't stop people posting reposts and it isn't done intentionally, deleting people's posts seems a bit like a punishment to me and I wouldn't be keen on it but I will talk it over with the other Mods and have a think about it

I do kinda get where you are coming from but if we delete out the edited posts then people might not notice that reposts happen and post even more of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Elmidena wrote: »

I don't really mind the reposts and what I find really good is the mod often puts in the edit what it is a repost of, so if its one I don't think I've seen I can click the link then.

I really like the above ideas of the Golden threads, just seems like a lot of work for mods though!

My feedback is-Great forum, greats mods. Keep it up :)

Penn wrote: »
    Was there any particular reason I said no to this (I don't remember. I was probably drunk)? It could be something we can look into, though (just thinking out loud here) it'd probably have to be contained to one thread (ie. No separate threads for Golden YLYL, Golden Demovs, Golden gifs etc... just have one Golden Thread). I think that was my main issue with the suggestion as if we had to stick all those threads to the top of the forum, it'd become too cluttered. Or I suppose we could link to separate threads from the charter and people access it that way.

Other than that, the only issue is sorting through the threads to find those posts. Don't know if we can just sort the threads by thanks or if we'd have to go through each page of each thread.

No you didn't say no. :) What actually happened is due to RL I took a brief hiatus from boards.ie and we just stopped discussing it. :) Namely because I didn't cop it was you with all your name changes :p. Very much agree with Recliner that it would have to be on a sliding scale. YLYL is always my first port of call for good reason. :) Realise also that it is a rather hefty undertaking for you guys so hurry the hell up slackers! so take your time and keep up the magnificent work here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,570 ✭✭✭Elmidena

We edit out reposts because some people find them annoying and to make it easier for them to scroll past them

We can't stop people posting reposts and it isn't done intentionally, deleting people's posts seems a bit like a punishment to me and I wouldn't be keen on it but I will talk it over with the other Mods and have a think about it

I do kinda get where you are coming from but if we delete out the edited posts then people might not notice that reposts happen and post even more of them?
    I'll take a second bash at saying this :)
    I meant pruning the threads once a week or so (given the traffic it gets in such a time frame that's still a lot of work) to go back and remove anything that's just a "repost"....if there's a non-repost image alongside a duplicate then leave it be, but if you weed out the doubles then at the end of the day there'll be a marvellous 10k thread (or whatever the limit is) of pics, instead of getting up to YLYL 4/5 with the predecessors being a catalogue of posts saying "repost" with an occasional pic.

If people know in advance that if it's a double they'll lose out on their token thanks if it gets pruned, they may be more likely to check if it's a double before they put it in. I know a lot of people are careful and check back so many posts before submitting a reply, and I am aware time can be an issue for some and it's not always feasible, but there's a lot of posters that blatantly just post something off Reddit and don't care if it's up there already. Sometimes right after the original pic. Deleting posts does sound harsh but think it'd be better for the thread overall :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

The quoting of pics has to be more than a ''It say's it in the title'' slap on the wrist! It's very clear to everybody so don't see why it should not be punishable with a warning/infraction...it would cut it out! Yellow cards do stand out beside a post more than the edited text!

And I know this is a lot harder to change, but the blatant reposts from the same page or the previous 2 are just lazy, and to be honest it's annoying having to report them!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

Stop removing every piece of chat.

We went through this a while back and the vote was for "leave it in" but some of the new mods seem to remove absolutely every non picture post.

If someone has a good response to the pic in question. Let it stay. As long as it doesnt delve into a full conversation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭ Marissa Petite Self-interest

kmart6 wrote: »
    The quoting of pics has to be more than a ''It say's it in the title'' slap on the wrist! It's very clear to everybody so don't see why it should not be punishable with a warning/infraction...it would cut it out! Yellow cards do stand out beside a post more than the edited text!

Dunno about the rest but I'll consider this one.
    And I know this is a lot harder to change, but the blatant reposts from the same page or the previous 2 are just lazy, and to be honest it's annoying having to report them!

Yeah, there's nothing we can do here. Can't make people read over the thread before posting.

Yeah, there's nothing we can do here. Can't make people read over the thread before posting.

Actually maybe there is. If it became customary for people to briefly describe their post with small text (size 1 or smaller?) at the end of their post. (Basically something akin to how the mods concisely describe the reposts) That way the user can just do a search for the post description. It won't guarantee against reposts but it should reduce them. :) Would also help mods in confirming them if they were a little unsure. :)

Actually maybe there is. If it became customary for people to briefly describe their post with small text (size 1 or smaller?) at the end of their post. (Basically something akin to how the mods concisely describe the reposts) That way the user can just do a search for the post description. It won't guarantee against reposts but it should reduce them. :) Would also help mods in confirming them if they were a little unsure. :)

People are welcome to do all that but I can't see us introducing and enforcing any rules like that. It's a picture thread primarily and insisting on people adding text at the bottom seems contradictory.

People are welcome to do all that but I can't see us introducing and enforcing any rules like that. It's a picture thread primarily and insisting on people adding text at the bottom seems contradictory.

Customary.;)

Customary.;)

Right. :o Well, feel free to start that yourself and if anyone follows your example: hurray! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,203 ✭✭✭✭Penn

kmart6 wrote: »

The trouble I find with this, is that in 95% of other forums on Boards, quoting pics is allowed (and when I see people quoting pics on other forums, I get an urge to try and edit it out even though I don't mod those forums).

We have it in the thread title not to quote pics, but when you're in the thread and want to reply to a post, you hit reply and in the text box, the code and url is shown rather than an image, so most people just don't think of it. I don't think warning or infracting would cut it out because it's not intentional, just something that happens.

However, there have been cases in the past where people say "I know we're not supposed to quote pics but..." and quote the pics. Now that, I do intend to give a warning or infraction for in future. If you know the rule, there is no excuse for ignoring it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I liked it better when it was an AH sub-forum, any chance it could be moved back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Oranage2 wrote: »
    I liked it better when it was an AH sub-forum, any chance it could be moved back?

Any particular reason why you feel like this?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Any particular reason why you feel like this?

Emotionally and physically it just doesnt feel the same -

For example: I'd be in Afterhours and all I had to do is click up and I'd be in cool vids, now if I'm in Afterhours then I have to hit rec > cool vids.

By the time I do all that then I'm not bothered to look around and just go back to Afterhours.

Also before there would be one or 2 funny picture threads, but now they're all 'thank whoring or lose' threads. TBH the quality of the forum has dropped a notch since the move.

Then again i could be wrong and talking rubbish, and maybe that those threads are what people want to see and people are too lazy to type 'funny pictures' into google, who knows?

Sure if I dont like it then I dont have to come, but I do like it for the moments brilliance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

A minor suggestion - a ban on pictures that have the watermark of another website on them, 9Gag being the main offenders (e.g.). I mean, YLYL has always been partial to a bit of Reddit reposting, but at least it doesn't say 'Reddit' at the bottom of the picture.

Advertisement