Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Who Led Walking Protest Has His Dole Cut

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

toexpress wrote: »
    they don't have to, they get children's allowance so they don't have too.

Or they could stop having children. Or find some way to feed their children that doesn't mean I have to pay more tax so they can sit and watch Jeremy Kyle

Perhaps they should eat their children, just to cheer you up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

DarkJager wrote: »
    Round of applause for you so, remind me how many new start ups fail within the first 6 months? Not to mention excluding yourself from assistance if it goes balls up? People can't take that risk, not with bills to pay and mouths to feed.

As for the fags/booze, again, they paid tax and are getting the assistance now that they're unemployed. Absolutely none of your business what they spend it on, nit one single bit. I'd be interested to know how you get on with going to a post office on collection day with that rethoric.

I am very well aware of how many start ups fail. Thankfully I have passed the 6 month point and have funds available to me as well as a growing demand and a strong client list couple that with the fact that I have many years experience within my industry and that I am not over stretched with debts the way many business' are I think I should weather the storm just fine.

As for the fags and booze, I am entitled to my opinion. I do not see why my tax money should be spent on booze for someone on welfare and I don't care if they have paid taxes for 30 years. That's not what counts cutting the bills today is what counts.

Locally, including at my local post office my views are very well known I am not afraid to voice them, if they upset someone collecting their social welfare then tough. It's my opinion I'm entitled to it no matter how it offends someone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

...Locally, including at my local post office my views are very well known I am not afraid to voice them, if they upset someone collecting their social welfare then tough. It's my opinion I'm entitled to it no matter how it offends someone

You won't last long in Arizona without breaking a possible law then (if you go on-line too) ! :D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭bpb101

That how thegot the household tax from him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I am very well aware of how many start ups fail. Thankfully I have passed the 6 month point and have funds available to me as well as a growing demand and a strong client list couple that with the fact that I have many years experience within my industry and that I am not over stretched with debts the way many business' are I think I should weather the storm just fine.

Best of luck with it so, but I think its given you a misguided sense of superiority over those less fortunate.
    As for the fags and booze, I am entitled to my opinion. I do not see why my tax money should be spent on booze for someone on welfare and I don't care if they have paid taxes for 30 years. That's not what counts cutting the bills today is what counts.

It's not YOUR tax, it's THEIR tax contributions they are collecting. Is it really that hard for you to grasp? You don't give them anything.
    Locally, including at my local post office my views are very well known I am not afraid to voice them, if they upset someone collecting their social welfare then tough. It's my opinion I'm entitled to it no matter how it offends someone

I bet you don't have the balls to go in there and speak them though. Views like yours are a surefire way to provoke a response, and that's most likely to be a fist.

• Advertisement

Biggins wrote: »
    You won't last long in Arizona without breaking a possible law then (if you go on-line too) ! :D;)

Well on that basis they are just as screwed because it offends me that I pay a tax bill so that someone can head off and get a nice bottle of Voddie in Aldi for €10 and then behave in a way that is just not acceptable, end up in court, costing money to the state for both court time and legal aid

• Registered Users Posts: 43,024 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I am a self employed business owner and i have the intelligence to know that every cent a person on the dole gets goes straight back into the real economy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,983 ✭✭✭conorhal

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    That'll learn him to keep his mouth shut when he's sucking on the teat of the state.

davet82 wrote: »
    very odd indeed, i think its ridiculous really, what a good way to give this guy more attention whoever decided on the course of action btw

smokedeels wrote: »
    If this is the case then he's brought the punishment on himself. It's a obvious point to make but I'll make it. If he walked out of a job for several days without informing his boss he'd be sacked/warned, this is no different.

It seems to me that a ‘smug self-righteousness’ tax would clear the national debt in no time at all.

I just love how the Irish never miss an opportunity to sh1t on anybody with a principle and a willingness to get up off their arse and do something to challenge injustice.

I am a self employed business owner and i have the intelligence to know that every cent a person on the dole gets goes straight back into the real economy

True, be it on food, drink, fags, bin charges, esb, gas, petrol (inc vat), clothes and footware, paper and ink (for CV's alone), and lots more.

Best of luck with it so, but I think its given you a misguided sense of superiority over those less fortunate.

It's not YOUR tax, it's THEIR tax contributions they are collecting. Is it really that hard for you to grasp? You don't give them anything.

I bet you don't have the balls to go in there and speak them though. Views like yours are a surefire way to provoke a response, and that's most likely to be a fist.

We'll start at the beginning then. I have no false sense of superiority over anyone. If someone is in unfortunate circumstances then by all means they should have help. Limited to essentials, not to luxuries. Is that so hard for YOU to grasp?

Their tax contributions run out, what happens then, who's tax contributions are they getting then? For example this week I had to fork out €300 for glasses, but on the dole I would have had them for free. Tax contributions don't go far at that rate, what with dole money, medical expense and so on.

As for your final assumptions about me, well don't bet your dole money on it. You will have to go cap in hand looking for a cheque like our Donegal builder friend ...

• Advertisement

LOL Did you hit your head on something? It is spent at Aldi or LIDL or on black market tobacco and so on? You won't see them going into their local boutique spending money on expensive clothes or heading off to a local restaurant for a meal out.

LOL Did you hit your head on something? It is spent at Aldi or LIDL or on black market tobacco and so on? You won't see them going into their local boutique spending money on expensive clothes or heading off to a local restaurant for a meal out.

Have you tarred all of the unemployed with the same brush?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

Are you really that stupid and ignorant or are you just trolling for the fun of it?

Are you really that stupid and ignorant or are you just trolling for the fun of it?

Did I make a personal attack on you? Was the name calling really required? Are you not capable of making a point without it?

Back on topic, I wonder will someone look into who ordered this punishment and if there was possible alternative (additional) reasons or pressure brought to bare, to get them to hand this punishment out?

Were the state so quick to send the social around knocking on the McCarthy's and the Dundon's doors after they murdered Roy Collins?

Doubt it. Instead they decided to hire 'mediators' to go around for a chat.

Sick of this state.

I think it's odd that a man who acknowledges that his family cannot survive without social welfare is protesting to such an extent.. It's quite the decision to walk that far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

We'll start at the beginning then. I have no false sense of superiority over anyone. If someone is in unfortunate circumstances then by all means they should have help. Limited to essentials, not to luxuries. Is that so hard for YOU to grasp?

Their money not yours for the hundreth time. What they deem as essentials or luxuries is none of your business. Do people comment on what you spend money? Id hope not because it's nobody else's business. You seem to be having a hard time grasping this point.
    Their tax contributions run out, what happens then, who's tax contributions are they getting then? For example this week I had to fork out €300 for glasses, but on the dole I would have had them for free. Tax contributions don't go far at that rate, what with dole money, medical expense and so on.

Are you literally walking in to a post office handing out your taxes? The same **** gets spouted when talking about healthcare for smokers or drinkers. Your examples are pointing to long term recipients which you seem to be confusing with the genuine unemployed.
    As for your final assumptions about me, well don't bet your dole money on it. You will have to go cap in hand looking for a cheque like our Donegal builder friend ...

1) I have full time employment thanks but of course you're an expert at jumping to conclusions.
    2) I'd bet anything you wouldn't because you're a typical loudmouth with volatile opinions who wouldn't dare act the same to somebody's face.
    3) Why would I be looking for a cheque? You've lost me.

Back on topic, I wonder will someone look into who ordered this punishment and if there was possible alternative (additional) reasons or pressure brought to bear to get them to hand this punishment out?

It was probably that arrogant SOB Phill 'I'll squeeze ye all by the balls untill ye squeel!' Hogan.

conorhal wrote: »
    It was probably that arrogant SOB Phill 'I'll squeeze ye all by the balls untill ye squeel!' Hogan.

Assistant:
    "Mr Hogan, that man is at it again. He's knocking us goodo in the media again!"

Hogan:
    "Can that man be doing that on our dime? Isn't he unemployed? ...And he has the nerve to be complaining? The cheek...!"

Assistant:
    "You bring up an interesting point there - maybe we can look into it..."

Assistant goes off to make a few phone calls.

No, that would never happen. :o

• Advertisement

Their money not yours for the hundreth time. What they deem as essentials or luxuries is none of your business. Do people comment on what you spend money? Id hope not because it's nobody else's business. You seem to be having a hard time grasping this point.
    Are you literally walking in to a post office handing out your taxes? The same **** gets spouted when talking about healthcare for smokers or drinkers. Your examples are pointing to long term recipients which you seem to be confusing with the genuine unemployed.
    1) I have full time employment thanks but of course you're an expert at jumping to conclusions.
    2) I'd bet anything you wouldn't because you're a typical loudmouth with volatile opinions who wouldn't dare act the same to somebody's face.
    3) Why would I be looking for a cheque? You've lost me.

Dear god how many times does this have to be explained. How far do you think someone's taxes go when it comes to paying out benefits? Really. Someone who is genuinely unemployed of course I agree they deserve benefit. In fact I would say go a bit further and spend money offering retraining. I would also say if they don't take up training offers then cut the dole for these. Willingness to retrain would be evidence of their genuine intentions.

Is it all really that hard to grasp? Someone living in this area on the top rate of rent allowance can get €800 a month for that alone. Not to mention children's allowance, medical card, fuel allowance and so on. Costs to keep an average family with two kids is about €2k a month or €24k a year assuming no major health issues or medical requirements do you really think that someone's tax contributions go that far? They run out simply put.

As for the personal comments, really? I might well be a loudmouth but I have no second thoughts about telling social bludging scum what I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

conorhal wrote: »
    I just love how the Irish never miss an opportunity to sh1t on anybody with a principle and a willingness to get up off their arse and do something to challenge injustice.

I pointed out that he may have brought this on himself by not informing the dole office of his plans, I was hardly gloating about it.

Since you bring it up, can you explain what his goal was exactly. He's raised awareness and well done to him but it's more "cuts are bad" rhetoric. When somebody starts talking about sensible alternatives I'll listen and support them, these aimless protests do nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,856 ✭✭✭trellheim

Isnt' there an appeals process for things like these ? You are also entitled to FOI your own documents too I think, to see who the decision makers were.

But isn't the raison d'etre of JSA to be available for and seeking work ?

trellheim wrote: »
    Isnt' there an appeals process for things like these ? You are also entitled to FOI your own documents too I think, to see who the decision makers were.

But isn't the raison d'etre of JSA to be available for and seeking work ?

It could have been a huge misunderstanding, he may have thought that he had to be "available for walk".

smokedeels wrote: »
    I pointed out that he may have brought this on himself by not informing the dole office of his plans, I was hardly gloating about it.

Since you bring it up, can you explain what his goal was exactly. He's raised awareness and well done to him but it's more "cuts are bad" rhetoric. When somebody starts talking about sensible alternatives I'll listen and support them, these aimless protests do nothing.

Here's a sensible alternative, Ireland's population is 4.5 million, half the size of Manchester yet we have 34 county councils, they have one. Let the government axe about 24 of those councils and cease the needless replication of duties that having so many incurs. Let them axe all the qunago’s that they were so hot under the collar about in opposition, let then axe the Seanad and actually cap the pay of their ‘special advisors’ as they promised, and after they’ve saved the billions that doing all those things that they said they'd do, THEN Phil Hogan can come and talk to me about a property tax.

It sickens me that Big(ego) Phil will refuse to pay the management fee on his holiday apartment because he’s unhappy with the service they provide, but he expects Joe Public to keep the gravy train on the tracks for the corrupt, inefficient, and lets be honest, constantly diminishing services that the Council’s allegedly provide

I did a bit of checking - anyone can via the net - and it seems that there was a few in the march he took part in.
    I wonder did ALL those on the dole, get punished for participating or did the dole office (and some political motivated person?) just single out just the possible organiser for his action?

News examples:
    * http://www.donegaldemocrat.ie/news/local/anti-austerity-protest-continues-to-receive-broad-support-1-3680655
    * http://oceanfm.ie/article/Donegal-walking-protest-appeals-to-people-to-support-their-campaign/
    Donegal walking protest appeals to people to support their campaign
    Those taking part in a walking protest from Donegal to Dublin in opposition to the Government’s austerity plans are currently making their way through Lettkerkenny.
    A group of 20 walkers set out yesterday on the 500km march from Malin Head to the capital.
    They hope to arrive on March 31st to coincide with Fine Gael’s ardfheis.
    The group, Donegal Action Against Austerity, includes unemployed builders, housewives and even a schoolboy.
    One of the organisers, Joe Murphy is appealing to people to support their campaign

Call me suspicious but if they just picked on a possible organiser alone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭Wicklowrider

If anyone who knows this man is reading the thread they should set up a bank account. Anyone sympathising with him could make a donation. He takes what he is owed - remainder goes to charity.
    See how "The State" likes that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

Einhard wrote: »
    In fairness, if someone is not avilable for work then I see no problem with cutting their dole for those days. And I say that as someone who has been on the dole.

I wish they would clear up what "being available for work" means.

When i was on the dole there was never any definition given.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

* http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/04/05/uproar-as-man-who-led-walking-protest-has-his-dole-cut/

A strange case.
    I can see both sides of the argument but I'd (and many others it might seem) like to hear who it was exactly "Up-High" that ordered that he get slapped with this punishment!
    Has someone political decided to try and pressurise him, to shut him up and/or try stop his political household protests (given his media success already, doing quite well) from continuing?

Something just don't smell right with this.
    I suspect someone might want him silenced?

What a shower of sneaky, conniving bastards. And in a week where they defend paying 20 consultants €500k each, along with €800k salary for bankers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,898 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It wouldn't be very realistic to expect someone with 20 kids to live on the same amount as a single person though, would it?

they don't have to, they get children's allowance so they don't have too.

Or they could stop having children. Or find some way to feed their children that doesn't mean I have to pay more tax so they can sit and watch Jeremy Kyle

I doubt you pay too much tax,you definitely sound very bitter and hard done by so il assume you make very little and have a big chip on your shoulder about the people that have been dumped on socieys scrapheap by the previous government.

I would imagine most of the people in receipt if social welfare over the last 4 years paid more in tax and prsi each year they worked than you earn in a year.

In conclusion:bitter much?

Advertisement