Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Who Led Walking Protest Has His Dole Cut

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,568 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

toexpress wrote: »
    Do they get that as well? I thought that was the children's allowance? Surely their dole isn't increased based on the number of children they have

Yes, it is.
    See:
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_sect4.aspx
    Kaner2004 wrote: »
    who said he wasnt available for work . im sure if, while on his walk, someone offered him a job he could have taken it.
    You have to be actively looking for a job.
    Not just waiting for one to be handed to you - by post or while on a march.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,974 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Do they get that as well? I thought that was the children's allowance? Surely their dole isn't increased based on the number of children they have

Of course it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

You don't turn up for work, you don't get paid.. I don't see the problem?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,117 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It's a pity it's not docked when they fail to send them to school, keep them away from hospital appointments etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 853 ✭✭✭toexpress

Biggins wrote: »

Yes but therefore that means his rate would be €188 not €310 the child benefit is paid on a monthly basis. I understand it's paid on the first Tuesday every month

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

gurramok wrote: »
    Thats a very expensive 310 quid brekkie.

lobster ain't cheap mate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭lividduck

* http://www.donegaldaily.com/2012/04/05/uproar-as-man-who-led-walking-protest-has-his-dole-cut/

A strange case.
    I can see both sides of the argument but I'd (and many others it might seem) like to hear who it was exactly "Up-High" that ordered that he get slapped with this punishment!
    Has someone political decided to try and pressurise him, to shut him up and/or try stop his political household protests (given his media success already, doing quite well) from continuing?

Something just don't smell right with this.
    I suspect someone might want him silenced?
    to qualify for the dole you must be available for and seeking work. if he decided to go on a protest march then he didn't qualify. Hardly a punishment!

Down with this sort of thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Yes, it is.
    See: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/social_welfare_payments_to_families_and_children/child_benefit.html

You have to be actively looking for a job.
    Not just waiting for one to be handed to you - by post or while on a march.

who is to say he didnt have job applications sent in? u can't just sit at home all day while u wait for a reply from an employer which may or may not ever come.

so if he had applications sent into various employers technically he would be actively seeking employment.... its not his fault some employers dont send you a reply.

the government need to make it manditory that all prospective employers respond to applicants even if they are unsuccessful in their application, so that an unemployed person can take that copy to the social welfare office to proove he/she is indeed actively seeking employment..

Yes but therefore that means his rate would be €188 not €310 the child benefit is paid on a monthly basis. I understand it's paid on the first Tuesday every month

It's nothing to do with child benefit. They get the basic dole plus additions for each dependant.

There is Childrens allowance and there is children's benefit.
    One is monthly - one is weekly.
    See also: http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Publications/sw19/Pages/sw19_sect4.aspx

• Advertisement

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It's nothing to do with child benefit. They get the basic dole plus additions for each dependant.

Well what utter nonsense! Employers don't pay up more money because you have more children!

I tell you this social welfare thing has to stop if you can't get a job after 6 months there should be a 50% to welfare. All these people collecting social money seem to have more than enough to spend on drink and cigarettes let them do without those little luxuries!

I am heart sick of hearing these sob stories from people I really am they get it handed to them on a plate, at the expense of those of us who do work and then they moan because it's never good enough. Lazy gits one and all not one iota of sympathy

who is to say he didnt have job applications sent in? u can't just sit at home all day while u wait for a reply from an employer which may or may not ever come.

Very true - I'm assuming (could be wrong) that for the four days on his march, someone concluded that he wasn't applying for anything or even looking for anything during those four days.

I'm also assuming that if he can't be sitting at home all day, the dole officers and thus the government, does indeed want you out there searching for work.
    Something not possible to do if your off on a four day march.

I'm just stating how they might see things. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I don't see how he was unavailable for work. If he got a call saying he has a job with immediate start he could be there within 3 hours. Its not like he was in Spain for 2 weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

I thought the dole was €188 why did he get €310?

Dog biscuits, chicken feed, swamp tax, the fees go on and on.

Very true - I'm assuming (could be wrong) that for the four days on his march, someone concluded that he wasn't applying for anything or even looking for anything during those four days.

I'm also assuming that if he can't be sitting at home all day, the dole officers and thus the government, does indeed want you out there searching for work.
    Something not possible to do if your off on a four day march.

I'm just stating how they might see things. :)

It's not about applying for work on those days, they mean that he could not have worked those particular days as he was otherwise engaged, regardless of being paid or not it is deemed that he could not have taken up paid employment

I don't see how he was unavailable for work. If he got a call saying he has a job with immediate start he could be there within 3 hours. Its not like he was in Spain for 2 weeks.

It not just if he was available but you ALSO have to be actively seeking work on a daily basis, if memory serves me right about the social welfare receiving conditions.
    (Again, open to be wrong and someone will rightly correct me if wrong)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

It not just if he was available but you ALSO have to be actively seeking work on a daily basis, if memory serves me right about the social welfare receiving conditions.

With the advent of mobile technology you can be actively seeking work from any geographical location in the country (once you have a signal). Do they deduct SW payments for when you are asleep (and not actively seeking work)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

Well what utter nonsense! Employers don't pay up more money because you have more children!

I tell you this social welfare thing has to stop if you can't get a job after 6 months there should be a 50% to welfare. All these people collecting social money seem to have more than enough to spend on drink and cigarettes let them do without those little luxuries!

I am heart sick of hearing these sob stories from people I really am they get it handed to them on a plate, at the expense of those of us who do work and then they moan because it's never good enough. Lazy gits one and all not one iota of sympathy

I'm sick of people like you and you're pseudo hard arse ideology on welfare recipients. Long term scroungers? Yes, by all means cut them off. Your tar brush is much bigger though. Have you been unemployed in the last 4 years? 6 months to find a job is probably the best expectation you can have.

As for them buying fags/drink (excluding scroungers) what is it of your ****ing business what they do with it? They paid taxes, are now out of work and are receiving the assistance they are entitled to. "Luxuries" as you call them can be the difference between hanging in there or hanging from a ****ing rope.

trooney wrote: »
    With the advent of mobile technology you can be actively seeking work from any geographical location in the country (once you have a signal). Do they deduct SW payments for when you are asleep (and not actively seeking work)?

You certainly have a valid point there.

DarkJager wrote: »
    I'm sick of people like you and you're pseudo hard arse ideology on welfare recipients. Long term scroungers? Yes, by all means cut them off. Your tar brush is much bigger though. Have you been unemployed in the last 4 years? 6 months to find a job is probably the best expectation you can have.

As for them buying fags/drink (excluding scroungers) what is it of your ****ing business what they do with it? They paid taxes, are now out of work and are receiving the assistance they are entitled to. "Luxuries" as you call them can be the difference between hanging in there or hanging from a ****ing rope.

Thankfully I can stand on my own two feet and set myself up in business.

If you have to draw the dole then money should not be spent on fags and drink. Tough and if if the strings on the purse have to a bit tighter then the Devil will drive you on to find something to do with yourself other than sitting round scratching your back side

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ouch, mess with the State and they'll mess with you :eek:

Must have come from very high up, maybe Minister Noonan

But then this is the same government that handled the blood transfusion crises and called a lady a lier until she died

It wouldn't be very realistic to expect someone with 20 kids to live on the same amount as a single person though, would it?

ejmaztec wrote: »
    It wouldn't be very realistic to expect someone with 20 kids to live on the same amount as a single person though, would it?

they don't have to, they get children's allowance so they don't have too.

Or they could stop having children. Or find some way to feed their children that doesn't mean I have to pay more tax so they can sit and watch Jeremy Kyle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,366 ✭✭✭micropig

Did he get any sort of appearance fee for being on The Late Late?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

No but people with children and dependant spouses pay less tax than their single equivalents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

If you have to draw the dole then money should not be spent on fags and drink. Tough and if if the strings on the purse have to a bit tighter then the Devil will drive you on to find something to do with yourself other than sitting round scratching your back side

Round of applause for you so, remind me how many new start ups fail within the first 6 months? Not to mention excluding yourself from assistance if it goes balls up? People can't take that risk, not with bills to pay and mouths to feed.

As for the fags/booze, again, they paid tax and are getting the assistance now that they're unemployed. Absolutely none of your business what they spend it on, nit one single bit. I'd be interested to know how you get on with going to a post office on collection day with that rethoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭trooney

That's a fair stance to take, directed at the small minority who are deliberately long-term unemployed. But methinks you need to be aware there are currently a lot of people out there who have no job and have found themselves unwantingly in that situation, through no fault of their own. And are trying whatever they can to remove themselves from having to rely on state handouts. I know of nobody, personally, who would have a preference to be in that situation. I'm glad you are not. But who knows. Maybe one day you will need the rest of us (i.e the state) to help you struggle through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Immaculate Pasta

Is he the Irish version of Forrest Gump? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

That's hilarious all the same.

• Advertisement

micropig wrote: »
    Did he get any sort of appearance fee for being on The Late Late?
    I doubt it.
    I've been on tv air (and radio) a number of times over issues.
    I and others on same days, never got a cent.

Advertisement