Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents letting their children smoke

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

My parents didn't know I smoked (well, they were never able to prove it :pac: ) til I was 20. Was drunk on Christmas Eve and had to ask my mam for a fag :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I think it's more to with the fact that parents can't or won't chastise their kids for fear their little darlings might end up in therapy. I believe it's called turning a blind eye
    Helllo

this is ireland :pac:

we're not in yank land :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

I started smoking at 25, never smoked in front of my father, I was 29 and still sneaking around the back of the pub in case he caught me (that was only last year!) I assume he knew, he could probably smell it off of me but I also knew he would hate to see me doing it and we'd probably fall out if he did. So I hid out of respect (and fear). IFor some reason when I gave them at celebrations I pull out the cigars and puff away in front of him to my hearts content.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Today I was filling up with petrol and I saw a woman with a boy aged about 14 in the car (I'm guessing it was her son) and the 2 of them were smoking away. I think it's a bit of a ****ing joke when parents let children this young smoke, my father just about let me smoke in front of him when I was 17 and I still can't smoke in front of the mother and I'm 21.

So at what age do you think children should be allowed to smoke or do you think that they shouldn't be allowed to smoke while living at home?

ids

how do you know he was 14 ????? He might of just looked young.

Personally I don't agree with it - but there's only so much control a mother has over her children, and she's prob at the stage where she's saying to herself "ah well , they're gonna smoke anyway" weathers she tries to stop them or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I'm 24 and still won't admit to being a smoker to my parents. It's not worth the hassle and having them worry about me :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

Smoking: bad.

Drinking: good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

MY sister in-laws son started smoking at 12, she did everything she could to stop it, didnt work he still smoked, he would never light up in the house but as soon as he was out he would light up. She gave up when he awas 16 but he never smoked in the house but would leave his ciggies around the house. He is now in his 20's and still smokes he has a top degree at trinity college and is finishing his masters in University of London, and has been accepted to do a PHD there too, starting later this year.

So what if he smokes he didnt turn out too bad now did he!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stiffler2

Agreed. smoking near petrol causes death.

really ?
    I must have missed all the news reports over the years of petrol stations blowing up because people smoke near a petrol station.

You should take a look a few petrol stations in tallaght where schools smoke basically on the forecourt or the path no more than 20ft away from the pumps.

Even if you threw a lit cigarette into a barrell full of petrol it still wouldn't light.
    It just puts the smoke out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

When they're old enough to pay for their cigarettes themselves. Teenagers often come up to me and say "eh lad have you got a fag?". These little morons should have considered how they were actually going to pay for cigarettes before they took up smoking. I don't know if their parents know they smoke but it wouldn't surprise me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Snowie wrote: »
    I think it's more to with the fact that parents can't or won't chastise their kids for fear their little darlings might end up in therapy. I believe it's called turning a blind eye
    Helllo

this is ireland :pac:

we're not in yank land :)

You think kids in Ireland don't get therapy?

Wow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

One thing worse than a parent letting a teenager smoke, is parents who force their younger kids to smoke passively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Dubit10

Fecking nanny state nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

MY sister in-laws son started smoking at 12, she did everything she could to stop it, didnt work he still smoked, he would never light up in the house but as soon as he was out he would light up. She gave up when he awas 16 but he never smoked in the house but would leave his ciggies around the house. He is now in his 20's and still smokes he has a top degree at trinity college and is finishing his masters in University of London, and has been accepted to do a PHD there too, starting later this year.

:confused:

What has going to college got to do with anything? Doesn't stop you from getting cancer or a heart attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Never smoked before but my gf does but god bless her heart she tries hard to quit.

Can honestly say though that I'll almost definitely go bonkers if I ever find any of my kids smoking. Its a habit that I just don't understand, its expensive and kills you. My mam was told that my granny was guaranteed another 10 years alive if she hadn't smoked and thats a sobering thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

You think kids in Ireland don't get therapy?

Wow.

I never said that, sure they'll be grand :)....
    :pac:

Serious note, you don't fvcking send your kid to therapy, cause you said no you can't have that can of coke or you can't smoke. Thats crazy...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

batistuta9 wrote: »
    it's really more to the fact that the parents realise that the kids are going to smoke anyway whether aloud or not & the second post i quoted is complete bullshít if i've ever read it

Bullsh*t eh? So you throw your hands up in the air and just let them do it whether they're 'aloud' to or not? Why would you not try and stop them by fear/education/any means necessary? Would that not be you job as a f***ing parent? We're talking 14 now here, not 17/18. If you can't control your child at 14 it's because you have failed as a parent; whether that be because you didn't stop problems earlier in life or let them hang around with scrotes. It's the parents. Look at it as the broken window theory of parenting. If they can get away with smoking at 14, sure they might aswell push the limits. What about crack? Heroin? Joyriding? What if you can't stop them breaking into houses? Do you just give up and let them? Maybe if more kids actually feared their parents and were embarrassed by being viewed as a vile f***ing scumbag we wouldn't have lads with 90 convictions strolling around the streets.

Smoking at 14: bad.

Drinking at 14: potentially far worse

FYP there

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I'm not sure studies have ever claimed smoking will kill you before you reach your twenties and retard your intellect to that extent :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

great use of his phd and intellect if he dies of lung cancer at 40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

im nearly 21 and i still hide the fact that i smoke from my parents and my sister

my cousin is 14 and her parents let her smoke no matter where they are
    they buy them for her too and what is their excuse?
    "Sure id rather her getting them off me than her asking a stranger for them"

how is that ok?!

i know this is going to be hypocritical of me but its disgusting
    she is still a child if that was my child id encourage them to stop and i would not feed into the habit!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure studies have ever claimed smoking will kill you before you reach your twenties and retard your intellect to that extent :)

Oh whatever, i didnt say he would be dead before he was 20:rolleyes:

He smoked since the age of 12, his mother tried everything but nothing worked, he however turned out fine and isnt a scumbag. His mother isnt the devil for not thing up something to stop him from smoking. She didnt neglect him, for not putting a stopper on it when he was younger, he has turned into a fine adult.

So what if he smokes.... His life his choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

token101 wrote: »
    Bullsh*t eh? So you throw your hands up in the air and just let them do it whether they're 'aloud' to or not? Why would you not try and stop them by fear/education/any means necessary? Would that not be you job as a f***ing parent? We're talking 14 now here, not 17/18. If you can't control your child at 14 it's because you have failed as a parent; whether that be because you didn't stop problems earlier in life or let them hang around with scrotes. It's the parents. Look at it as the broken window theory of parenting. If they can get away with smoking at 14, sure they might aswell push the limits. What about crack? Heroin? Joyriding? What if you can't stop them breaking into houses? Do you just give up and let them? Maybe if more kids actually feared their parents and were embarrassed by being viewed as a vile f***ing scumbag we wouldn't have lads with 90 convictions strolling around the streets.

of course you can try to stop them, if it works it works, if it doesn't then what are you going to do?
    follow them around 24/7? if a kid want's to smoke they'll smoke with or with out parents permission simple as that.
    parents may view smoking as the least of their problems of what a kid could possibly get up to, if all your kid does though their teenage years is smoke then i don't think that's too bad. it'd be better if they didn't but could do far far worse things. sort of the best of a bad lot

just because a child does something the parent doesn't approve of doesn't mean they've failed as a parent

and trying to say allowing them to smoke is equivalent to allowing them to rob houses/joyride is ridiculous, crack & heroin :D

look at your first post again
    Parents who let their children smoke usually aren't the best parents really. They're usually the same who wouldn't chastise the child for f***ing around in school, coming in whenever they like and hanging around with other scrotes. Just parents who don't really give a sh*t and probably shouldn't have had kids.

i think it's complete bullshít. just because someone will let their child smoke doesn't make them a bad parent & you've no proof that because they do, they don't give a shít or give out to them about how they do in school or coming home late etc.
    shouldn't have kids because they allow them to smoke :pac::pac::pac:

bluewolf wrote: »
    great use of his phd and intellect if he dies of lung cancer at 40

His choice! He could get hit by a bus tomorrow, who knows, i for one know my dad smoked from 14 he died at 54 no sign of any cancer what so ever, (death not smoke related).

Just because you smoke your not guaranteed to get cancer, the risk is higher. Anyone anywhere can get cancer, might aswell be happy before it gets you and when it gets you. Everyones got to die sometime...

of course you can try to stop them, if it works it works, if it doesn't then what are you going to do?
    follow them around 24/7? if a kid want's to smoke they'll smoke with or with out parents permission simple as that.
    parents may view smoking as the least of their problems of what a kid could possibly get up to, if all your kid does though their teenage years is smoke then i don't think that's too bad. it'd be better if they didn't but could do far far worse things. sort of the best of a bad lot

just because a child does something the parent doesn't approve of doesn't mean they've failed as a parent

and trying to say allowing them to smoke is equivalent to allowing them to rob houses/joyride is ridiculous, crack & heroin :D

i think it's complete bullshít. just because someone will let their child smoke doesn't make them a bad parent & you've no proof that because they do, they don't give a shít or give out to them about how they do in school or coming home late etc.

Very true as the point i made with my sister in law, her son smoked yet turned into a fine adult , she wasnt a bad parent, in fact she was a great parent and still is...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,895 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Stiffler2 wrote: »
    really ?
    I must have missed all the news reports over the years of petrol stations blowing up because people smoke near a petrol station.

The list is endless.

(It's also beginningless).

Edit: Found one

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

My mother let me smoke at 16 but by that stage she caught me smoking so many times she felt it was pointless.

I started smoking when I was 13. No one knew til I had left home at 18. Still smoke and have never been in any trouble. I totally disagree with kids smoking though!
    BTW Gave up smoking 1 month ago after 27 years smoking.

You might not be able to stop them, but that doesn't mean you should just give up and just leave it, which is what you suggested in your first post. Not even bothering to try change a child's bad behaviour or behaviour that'll affect themselves negatively at 14 makes a sh*tty parent and that attitude will almost definitely lead to worse. If you can't be arsed trying to change a child, because 'ah sure they'll just do it anyway', you shouldn't have kids and you are a sh*t parent.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

You might not be able to stop them, but that doesn't mean you should just give up and just leave it, which is what you suggested in your first post. Not even bothering to try change a child's bad behaviour or behaviour that'll affect themselves negatively at 14 makes a sh*tty parent and that attitude will almost definitely lead to worse. If you can't be arsed trying to change a child, because 'ah sure they'll just do it anyway', you shouldn't have kids and you are a sh*t parent.

i didn't suggest that in my first post and in my second you should try to stop it, i'm saying you can try to stop them all you want but this mightn't even work.

if it doesn't work some parents just accept that their children smoke and allow them to do so. big deal

like it or like it not they'll be a day when little sweet 'mary' is getting fúcked stupid, some people will accept this realisation more than others. same with the smoking you can pretend they don't all you want but they'll still smoke whether at school or any time they get out of the parents sight

realising that your child does something doesn't make you a shít parent either, what about the kid in a few posts above who started to smoke at 12 & when to get a Ph.D i suppose you think that was ****ty parenting too

• Advertisement

i didn't suggest that in my first post and in my second you should try to stop it, i'm saying you can try to stop them all you want but this mightn't even work.

if it doesn't work some parents just accept that their children smoke and allow them to do so. big deal

like it or like it not they'll be a day when little sweet 'mary' is getting fúcked stupid, some people will accept this realisation more than others. same with the smoking you can pretend they don't all you want but they'll still smoke whether at school or any time they get out of the parents sight

realising that your child does something doesn't make you a shít parent either, what about the kid in a few posts above who started to smoke at 12 & when to get a Ph.D i suppose you think that was ****ty parenting too

Ah you're right, I see it now. Instead of banning them from smoking around the house, cutting off money, grounding them until they stop and just generally making life as difficult as possible for them, just accept it sure, that's the answer. Big deal? Cancer's no big deal sure. What a top class parenting attitude. What about when they do something else that'll f*** up their lives? Like quitting school or some other braindead teenage idea? Will they just accept that too? Sure they've been told haven't they?

Advertisement