Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parents letting their children smoke

Options
  • 04-04-2012 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭

Today I was filling up with petrol and I saw a woman with a boy aged about 14 in the car (I'm guessing it was her son) and the 2 of them were smoking away. I think it's a bit of a ****ing joke when parents let children this young smoke, my father just about let me smoke in front of him when I was 17 and I still can't smoke in front of the mother and I'm 21.

So at what age do you think children should be allowed to smoke or do you think that they shouldn't be allowed to smoke while living at home?

ids

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Maybe he was in his 20's but started smoking at 14...stunned growth and all that jazz(hands).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

I think it's more to with the fact that parents can't or won't chastise their kids for fear their little darlings might end up in therapy. I believe it's called turning a blind eye

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

I still don't smoke in front of my mother, years later. Although I don't smoke nearly as much now as I did when I was 18/19, it's really just a "when I'm drinking" thing these days.

On a more serious note: What were the crazy feckers doing smoking on a petrol station forecourt?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Agreed. smoking near petrol causes death.

No way! Kids should not be allowed smoke til they can legally purchase cigarettes for themselves and by that time you would hope that any parent would have provided them with enough information as to the reasons not to smoke, that the child will decide not to smoke.
    Of course it does not help that they are exposed to peer pressure outside of the home and in school where it would appear many schools turn a blind eye to pupils smoking.
    Any shop found selling tobacco or alcohol to children should be forbidden from selling these products at all and incur massive penalties.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Today I was filling up with petrol and I saw a woman with a boy aged about 14 in the car (I'm guessing it was her son)

He may have been her son - he may not have been.

I'd imagine that type of thing is very rare these days. Also, I can't see a parent encouraging a child to smoke (here in Ireland at least) unless they are.. a few sandwiches short of a picnic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Parents who let their children smoke usually aren't the best parents really. They're usually the same who wouldn't chastise the child for f***ing around in school, coming in whenever they like and hanging around with other scrotes. Just parents who don't really give a sh*t and probably shouldn't have had kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

When my old man first caught me smoking he said if I could afford the habit I could afford to pay house maintenance. I was on £20 a week as a 1st year apprentice at the time. (A pack of 20 fags was less than a quid :p )

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

I know a woman who has allowed her son to smoke since age 13 (and gives him cigarette money). When he was caught smoking at school she got a call from the Principal and she said to him that he's addicted and can't stop, and she's ok with him smoking at school. I saw him at the graveside at a family funeral smoking away (he was 14 at the time). I wanted to slap him and her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

I smoked in front of Class Sr when I was 21.

This was back in the '80s & I was on a short visit from working abroad.

Bearing in mind he was/is a very strict man, it was a severe risk.

On the day, we lit up together, content in the enjoyment of nicotine.

It was a rare moment of understanding between us..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tripe man

My mother let me smoke crack when I was 12.

She never let me eat nutella though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

It's so weird that nicotine is a legal drug and the others are not. It's unbelievably addictive (former smoker here) and it's a massive killer of people, often slowly, from horrifying diseases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

idunnoshur wrote: »
    Today I was filling up with petrol and I saw a woman with a boy aged about 14 in the car (I'm guessing it was her son) and the 2 of them were smoking away. I think it's a bit of a ****ing joke when parents let children this young smoke, my father just about let me smoke in front of him when I was 17 and I still can't smoke in front of the mother and I'm 21.

So at what age do you think children should be allowed to smoke or do you think that they shouldn't be allowed to smoke while living at home?

ids
    I'd have been mangled by my mother if she caught me smoking at 17!

• Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭CageWager

What if she wasn't his mother? Maybe they're having some kind of massive age gap, smoke filled car sex with full tank of petrol madness. The durrrty beggars.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

I think it's more to with the fact that parents can't or won't chastise their kids for fear their little darlings might end up in therapy. I believe it's called turning a blind eye
    token101 wrote: »
    Parents who let their children smoke usually aren't the best parents really. They're usually the same who wouldn't chastise the child for f***ing around in school, coming in whenever they like and hanging around with other scrotes. Just parents who don't really give a sh*t and probably shouldn't have had kids.
    boogle wrote: »
    I know a woman who has allowed her son to smoke since age 13 (and gives him cigarette money). When he was caught smoking at school she got a call from the Principal and she said to him that he's addicted and can't stop, and she's ok with him smoking at school. I saw him at the graveside at a family funeral smoking away (he was 14 at the time). I wanted to slap him and her.

it's really more to the fact that the parents realise that the kids are going to smoke anyway whether aloud or not & the second post i quoted is complete bullshít if i've ever read it

Dudess wrote: »
    I'd have been mangled by my mother if she caught me smoking at 17!

I'm a Dad myself nowadays & in the scheme of things Smoking is the least of my worries.

Drinking to excess can lead to worse.

Gambling can be very serious.

Drugs. Illegal & can get you into the kind of trouble you can only get nightmares about.

Getting involved with the wrong people. Lie down with dogs & you will get up with fleas!

Overall, I think if I caught one of my kids having a sneaky Fag somewhere, I think it would be the least serious of what could happen in the scheme of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I'm almost 21 and I'd still be mangled by my parents if they thought I smoked, and they're not even strict. Thankfully I don't smoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,215 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I think if I caught one of my kids having a sneaky Fag somewhere, I think it would be the least serious of what could happen in the scheme of things.
    Oh I know, but just the way the OP is outraged by the kid he saw, yet 17 isn't much older. :pac:
    My mum goes ballistic over smoking though - it killed both her parents. She still gives out to her almost 40-year-old son for it! :pac: My dad wouldn't have minded though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I'm 18, and if mom and dad knew I smoked (which I do, but I'm not addicted by any stretch of the imagination), they would absolutely murder me; even though they both did at my age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 tripe man

After seeing the carryon of young wans in Dublin city centre on the weekends, I'd be worried about having a daughter full stop.

• Advertisement

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    I'm almost 21 and I'd still be mangled by my parents if they thought I smoked, and they're not even strict. Thankfully I don't smoke.

It looks like you're from a well raised family then.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Mine didn't encourage it when I took up smoking up at 19 but they didn't get all fascist about it either, nobody has an Aneurysm when I light one up at family meetups.:pac:

Dudess wrote: »
    Oh I know, but just the way the OP is outraged by the kid he saw, yet 17 isn't much older. :pac:
    My mum goes ballistic over smoking though - it killed both her parents. She still gives out to her almost 40-year-old son for it! :pac: My dad wouldn't have minded though.

Spose it depends on your experiances.

My family have smoked for decades & it dose'nt seem to have any effect healthwise, even amongst the older generation('70s & '80s).

Saving money seems to be the main motivation for us to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Naomi00

Spose it depends on your experiances.

My family have smoked for decades & it dose'nt seem to have any effect healthwise, even amongst the older generation('70s & '80s).

Saving money seems to be the main motivation for us to quit.

How would it have no effect on your health?

Other than the damage on organs, surely it would make you unfit, cough a lot etc?

Not trying to get at anything, just genuinely confused at this bit.

Naomi00 wrote: »

Other than the damage on organs, surely it would make you unfit, cough a lot etc?

Can't explain.

Despite the whole smoking thing my Family seem to run up high milage.

My opinion, is that we don't put up weight.

I'm 43 & am not much heavier than I was 20 years ago.

I think obesity is a bigger killer than smoking ever was.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Bazzo wrote: »
    I still don't smoke in front of my mother, years later. Although I don't smoke nearly as much now as I did when I was 18/19, it's really just a "when I'm drinking" thing these days.

On a more serious note: What were the crazy feckers doing smoking on a petrol station forecourt?!

My dads mother doesn't know he smokes, he is going 55 this year and she is in her 80s :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Agreed. smoking near petrol causes death.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Naomi00 wrote: »

That's a good point but I wonder do certain people possess a genetic makeup that allows them to get away with smoking and still retain high physical fitness. For instance Johann Cryuff chain smoked his during his career and still reached greatness, Zidane likewise although maybe not as heavy. Edmund Hillary smoked during his conquest of Everest. Medically it's probably a ridiculous question to pose but these are the kinda of things that puzzle me sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Wetai

tripe man wrote: »
    My mother let me smoke crack when I was 12.

She never let me eat nutella though. :(
    That's a disgrace.

No nutella?! :mad:

• Advertisement

That's a good point but I wonder do certain people possess a genetic makeup that allows them to get away with smoking and still retain high physical fitness. For instance Johann Cryuff chain smoked his during his career and still reached greatness, Zidane likewise although maybe not as heavy. Edmund Hillary smoked during his conquest of Everest. Medically it's probably a ridiculous question to pose but these are the kinda of things that puzzle me sometimes.

Nothing to excess was my Dad's motto.

We always ate what we needed.

Drank what we needed.

Smoked (what we thought we needed)

The Japs seem to have my family's way of thinking & they seem to do alright.

Advertisement