Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Snooker Championship Qualifiers

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Nuts102 wrote: »
    He doesnt have what it takes to be a top 32 player imo he doesnt score heavy enough. He is also not playing better players that will improve your game. Lisowski, Trump, Jones and all the Chineese youngsters are far more likely to reach the top 32. They are playing in the academy every day against top pro's. Lisowski practices with Trump. The Chinese players practice with Ding. Michael White and Jamie Jones practice with Williams. I hope im wrong but i think the players playing in England are far more likely to make the big breakthrough. Who knows if Moriss beats Hawkins and gets on tv it may be the start of him moving up the rankings and i hope he does.

Jack Lisowski has played 47 matches this season and has made 12 centuries, Davy has played 34 and made 10 centuries.

I agree some of the english players have an advantage in terms of practise partners but it's not like Davy has a shortage of players. He pops down to Maynooth now and then to play on the Championship table with Muldoon or Williams, and he has Ken, Fergal, Rodney, Brendan etc to practise with here.

It's not impossible for players to base themselves outside the UK and succeed - Kurt Maflin in based in Norway but making great strides.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

Jack Lisowski has played 47 matches this season and has made 12 centuries, Davy has played 34 and made 10 centuries.

I agree some of the english players have an advantage in terms of practise partners but it's not like Davy has a shortage of players. He pops down to Maynooth now and then to play on the Championship table with Muldoon or Williams, and he has Ken, Fergal, Rodney, Brendan etc to practise with here.

It's not impossible for players to base themselves outside the UK and succeed - Kurt Maflin in based in Norway but making great strides.

Kurt Malfin is a journeyman lost his tour card 3 times not exactly a great example. Playing any of those players is not going to make him improve. None of them are better than him except Doherty who is past it and Fergal who is not a top player. If you watch his matches he doesnt win enough frames in one visit. Joyce was awful against him. Joyce got a good chance in almost every frame i watched and thats not good enough to be a top 48 player in the world nevermind a top 32 player, but again i hope he makes it big.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭zack01

Any news on how Ken is playing Zack. Thinking of doing a coupon and Doherty looks decent at 10/11. Hamilton struggled to overcome Anthony McGill. Also Ryan Dyan has had a poor season but 8/13 to beat a poor Gerard Greene. Looking at Milkins to beat Mark Davis at Evs also should be buzzing after that 147. I know this is not a betting forum Zack but you seem to know a bit about the pro game.

10/11 is a decent enough price, Kens been hitting the ball well in practice but as you know taking that to the match table is a different story. I would always fancy him to beat Hamilton over 19 frames, but he needs a good start tomorrow.
    It could turn out to be pretty drab as both players will be desparate for the win and who knows possibly a final appearance at the Cruicble.

I'd also go for Ryan Day against Greene and I fancy Davis against Milkins.

Kurt Malfin is a journeyman lost his tour card 3 times not exactly a great example. Playing any of those players is not going to make him improve. None of them are better than him except Doherty who is past it and Fergal who is not a top player. If you watch his matches he doesnt win enough frames in one visit. Joyce was awful against him. Joyce got a good chance in almost every frame i watched and thats not good enough to be a top 48 player in the world nevermind a top 32 player, but again i hope he makes it big.

steady on!!! Ken is 32nd in the world after a few bad seasons but he's only what 4 or 5 years on from being provisional world number 1....and has made a semi's this season. Fergal is 30th in the world.

Stephen Lee hasn't practised with anybody all year, he's just used constant match play as practice. It's not all about practice partners.

Remember Trump, Gould, Murphy, Robertson all lost their tour cards at some point. In nearly all cases it just takes 1 good tournament run, qualify for a venue and get a few results, to give people the confidence in themselves to push higher up the rankings.

I get what you're saying though, obviously it would be better to practise with the top players.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭Nuts102

steady on!!! Ken is 32nd in the world after a few bad seasons but he's only what 4 or 5 years on from being provisional world number 1....and has made a semi's this season. Fergal is 30th in the world.

Stephen Lee hasn't practised with anybody all year, he's just used constant match play as practice. It's not all about practice partners.

Remember Trump, Gould, Murphy, Robertson all lost their tour cards at some point. In nearly all cases it just takes 1 good tournament run, qualify for a venue and get a few results, to give people the confidence in themselves to push higher up the rankings.

I get what you're saying though, obviously it would be better to practise with the top players.

Worded wrong meant Doherty and Fergal are not as good as they used to be. It would be alot better to be playing players over in England who are in the top 16.

On another note anybody think Yu Delu could be worth a bet against Hendry. His concentration is not great anymore and the young player has a chance.

• Advertisement

Worded wrong meant Doherty and Fergal are not as good as they used to be. It would be alot better to be playing players over in England who are in the top 16.

On another note anybody think Yu Delu could be worth a bet against Hendry. His concentration is not great anymore and the young player has a chance.

defo be worth something if you could get maybe 2/1 ish, i'd rate the match about 50-50 the way Yu has played this year, though Hendry has hit some form recently too and will probably gear his season around this match.

A player i think with a huge chance is Cao Yupeng. I fancy him to take care of Tom Ford!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

When does the tournament start and has the draw been done? It usually starts this Saturday every other year no?:confused:

When does the tournament start and has the draw been done? It usually starts this Saturday every other year no?:confused:

Starting later this year due to the bank holiday in the UK slightly later than normal. The draw will be made lunchtime on Monday with the action kicking off at the Cruicble on Sat morn.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Spiderpig92

best of luck to davy morris in his final qualifier. lads at the end of the day he is in the final qualifying round. he can only beat who is put in front of him and to be fair he has done well up to now. Hawkins will be a difficult opponent and confidence will be high after the shootout win but over 19 frames it's anyones guess. a good start is imperative for him but he has a great chance if he plays to his potential. i would back ken to get over the line 10-8 or 10-9. Also worth having a look at luca brecel. if he can get a good start over mark king it could be the key. King hasnt the best of temperaments and if put under pressure by the 'underdog' it will be interesting to see how he reacts. Hendry will view this match as his biggest of the season. he will have been working hard on the practice table and will be ready for this you would have to assume. if he wins this and gets a good run at the crucible he could find himself back in the top 16 for next year which is a massive incentive. it should be a good weekend and it will be interesting to see who gets through. best of luck to all the irish lads involved.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I fancy all the Irish lads tomorrow actually! Doherty has it tough, Fergal has the easiest match (but by no means easy :P), Morris is against Hawkins who had a few good runs in some PTC events but nothing notable lately. Morris has a chance but he has to keep his nerves from the get-go and not take some stupid pots on. I think he was guilty of that in the previous match.

• Advertisement

Great start from Ken 2-0 up with a nice 134. Big crowd in here today, tension at every table.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭califano

Ugh that could have been 3-1. But the heavy break building bodes well for Ken.

5-2 to Ken and with two more frames left he will at least go into tonight's session ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

anyone got a stream for this?

6-3 Ken going into tonight and a good session for him which included 3 tons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Omega28

any streams available? where i don't have to pay!

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

Great session for Ken, it would be nice to see him back at the Crucible. Hope Hendry gets through as well, pity Davis & White missed out.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭THEIRISHMOB

Davy is a massive price at 5/2 v Hawkins.
    I backed him at 6/4 aginest McManus yesterday. he should have been 4/5 as McManus is well past it.

I Fancy Davy to win 10-8.

Bercel is also a great price at 5/4 aginest Mark King who has no bottle.

For the title Robertson is great value at 8/1

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Brecel looks amazing. I watched him play Holt and he made some rookie mistakes but he held is won and took the win. Brecel looks like a future champion for sure

Brecel looks amazing. I watched him play Holt and he made some rookie mistakes but he held is won and took the win. Brecel looks like a future champion for sure

He is a talent there is no doubt about that, but talent is nothing without experience, especially in snooker and more so in the final qualifying round for the Cruicble. Brecel may be young but he's been around for a few years now but never at this stage of qualification for a main event, but as I said previous I fancy King to beat him. Brecel will no doubt gain valuable experience from his run this week which will stand to him in years to come. The same was expected of Judd Trump when he turned pro but as we know it took him several years to rise to where he is now.
    Don't get me wrong I'd love to see Brecel qualify for the Cruicble, the more new faces the better for the game. However I just think King may have too much for him.

• Advertisement

Well the session went in 5-4, and as you said, experience won it out. Brecel was in control of the 9th frame and a rookie mistake sent King on his way. I still think it'll come down to a final frame decider, I hope it does!

Doherty not looking so good this evening

Doherty not looking so good this evening

That 14th frame was a big big frame, 7-7 or 8-6 ahead, 2 more required for Ken. It's tense out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

zack01 wrote: »
    That 14th frame was a big big frame, 7-7 or 8-6 ahead, 2 more required for Ken. It's tense out there.
    Whats the latest with ken? Where are you watching it thanks..

risteard7 wrote: »
    Whats the latest with ken? Where are you watching it thanks..

In the venue in Sheffield, travelled over last night, he has a chance to go 9-7 up colours left.

9-7 Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Glenman

9-8...looking like it will go down to the wire

9-8 Jesus !!

9-9 !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

zack01 wrote: »
    9-9 !!!