Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby to the NFL

Options
  • 03-04-2012 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but former Saracen's lock Hayden Smith has signed for the NY Jets. It will be interesting to see how he gets on and where he plays. Even if he doesn't make it there is every chance he will make more money in a couple of years than he would have playing in the Aviva for a career.

Obviously there is some transfer of skills and there has been some players from the AFL who have transferred across as kickers etc but I can't see many more doing likewise.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Yeah it's an interesting one, but Smyth is a bit of a freak. I think he played college basketball (which is one step below NBA - players are drafted from there afaik) and took up rugby in his late teens and was an international within a couple of years and a pro within about another year.

I don't know if he's player American football before, but I'm sure he's familiar with it and pretty damn good. The Jets are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Interestingly, there's a fair few British & Irish in the NFL, such as recent Superbowl winning kicker Lawrence Tynes, who is from the arse hole of Scotland somewhere...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Yeah it's an interesting one, but Smyth is a bit of a freak. I think he played college basketball (which is one step below NBA - players are drafted from there afaik) and took up rugby in his late teens and was an international within a couple of years and a pro within about another year.

I don't know if he's player American football before, but I'm sure he's familiar with it and pretty damn good. The Jets are one of the best teams in the NFL.

Interestingly, there's a fair few British & Irish in the NFL, such as recent Superbowl winning kicker Lawrence Tynes, who is from the arse hole of Scotland somewhere...

Yeah he's pretty famous as demonstrated by me knowing who he is in the first place. Twice getting field goals (I think) to bring the Giants to the Superbowl. High profile job with lots of pressure, send ROG over.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

I know he said the Dolphins were after him before but if ROG was genuinely looking to continue a career in sport after he retires from rugby I think he could make it in the NFL. Kickers generally have the longest career spans and if they avoid injury can continue until their leg gives out. ROG could easily kick into his late 40's or more if he remained fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,038 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

His height and hands will make him an asset at tight-end in the red-zone, that's for sure. Interesting to see how he gets on. How quick is he, does anyone know?

• Registered Users Posts: 751 ✭✭✭lologram

Teferi wrote: »
    I know he said the Dolphins were after him before but if ROG was genuinely looking to continue a career in sport after he retires from rugby I think he could make it in the NFL. Kickers generally have the longest career spans and if they avoid injury can continue until their leg gives out. ROG could easily kick into his late 40's or more if he remained fit.

The year is 2022. Ronan O'Gara announces that he does not intend retiring as kicker until he's 48. The NFL forum of American site boards.com implodes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Second rows would generally be tight ends or defensive ends. As for people joining the NFL as kickers, I think the Steyns would be superstars with their long range efforts if they went over after rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I think he'd have very little chance of making it in the nfl. It's a very different style and he'd have to complete alter his run up and get used to kicking a completely different ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Kicking into his late forties would make him one of the oldest players in the history of the game. Kicking a football is very different to a rugby ball. Totally different technique and kicks are straight in front. The ball is kicked off the deck with a holder instead of from a tee. Very different proposition and not a transferable skill.

I think he'd have very little chance of making it in the nfl. It's a very different style and he'd have to complete alter his run up and get used to kicking a completely different ball.

He clearly has the co-ordination in his feet, the concentration and ability under pressure. I'd say given time he could get used to it, although his range isn't particularly long which could be an issue, and obviously his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Tox56 wrote: »
    [QUOTE='[Jackass];77936422']Yeah it's an interesting one, but Smyth is a bit of a freak. I think he played college basketball (which is one step below NBA - players are drafted from there afaik) and took up rugby in his late teens and was an international within a couple of years and a pro within about another year.

Yeah he's pretty famous as demonstrated by me knowing who he is in the first place. Twice getting field goals (I think) to bring the Giants to the Superbowl. High profile job with lots of pressure, send ROG over.[/Quote]
    Bit of a stretch to say tynes was plucked from the arse end of Scotland ....he is Scottish born but father is American and he lived in the US since he was a child. Always felt the ROG story was bogus to drum up a contract but would be great to see how the likes of ferris or obrien would get on wearing the pads

• Advertisement

GerM wrote: »
    Kicking into his late forties would make him one of the oldest players in the history of the game. Kicking a football is very different to a rugby ball. Totally different technique and kicks are straight in front. The ball is kicked off the deck with a holder instead of from a tee. Very different proposition and not a transferable skill.

I've kicked a rugby ball off a tee, and then an american football off the ground in the same spot. There's really very little difference. The only differences there would be would be the people charging at your kick and the kick always being in front. I hit both balls in the same spot and they fly more or less the same way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Morten Andersen retired at 48 years old just a couple of years ago.

I think ROG would realistically make a very good kicker in the NFL for a couple of seasons (I think you're making too much of the differences, kicking an AFL ball is completely different to kicking a rugby ball but Geordan Murphy went down there and picked it up immediately on Aussie television and astounded them) but I can't see ROG going over there.

He admitted the Dolphins talk was rubbish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Considering he's spent so long working on his kicking, breaking what he does down into bits, analysing those bits and as time has gone by the balls will have changed I can't see him having too much difficulty transferring his skills.........as long as the ball is placed with the laces out of course.

Bit of a stretch to say tynes was plucked from the arse end of Scotland ....he is Scottish born but father is American and he lived in the US since he was a child. Always felt the ROG story was bogus to drum up a contract but would be great to see how the likes of ferris or obrien would get on wearing the pads

Probably not very well, I'd wager. I'm assuming you would be talking about turning them into running backs? Ferris is nearly at retirement age for a running-back to begin with and neither have the speed or agility imo. They both would probably have made incredible line-backers had they have grown up in the states, but way too much to learn for them now unfortunately.

Lets not make this another ROG-centric thread. I was just using him as an example. I was really trying to say that I think the players who would find it easier to convert to gridiron would be kickers. They are normally the oldest players in the NFL with very little wear and tear. A decent rugby kicker wouldn't take too long to change to the smaller and harder Yank ball.

Fez would have made a good football player if he was born there. His lack of knee caps now however I would seriously doubt he would last a single down before getting a career ending hit to his knee.

Fez would have made a good football player if he was born there. His lack of knee caps now however I would seriously doubt he would last a single down before getting a career ending hit to his knee.

Even in defence, such as a linebacker, as was mentioned already? Obviously they would really need to be born there to learn it all, but if they had been, I'd say they would find some position where they are pretty good.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Probably not very well, I'd wager. I'm assuming you would be talking about turning them into running backs? Ferris is nearly at retirement age for a running-back to begin with and neither have the speed or agility imo. They both would probably have made incredible line-backers had they have grown up in the states, but way too much to learn for them now unfortunately.

Ferris is 26. Marion Barber just retired "young" due to injuries at 29. He's nowhere near retirement age for an NFL running back

Also, BOD, SOB or even Healy as a running back?

Curtis Martin had the exact same problem as Fez and he was one of the best Jets running backs of all time and retired at 34.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭bonnieprince

matthew8 wrote: »
    Second rows would generally be tight ends or defensive ends. As for people joining the NFL as kickers, I think the Steyn brothers would be superstars with their long range efforts if they went over after rugby.

I don't think the Steyn's are brothers :p

Ferris is 26. Marion Barber just retired "young" due to injuries at 29. He's nowhere near retirement age for an NFL running back

My mistake, I thought he was older. Either way, 30 is very much the "point of no return" for running backs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

Sports Illustrated, February 2014

O'Gara: 'I should be starting ahead of Brady'

Rookie kicker Ronan O'Gara has sparked controversy by speaking of his disillusionment at the decision by New England Patriots coach Bill Belichick to pick Tom Brady as starting quarterback ahead of the outspoken Irishman for this weekend's SuperBowl against the Philadelphia Eagles in Dallas.

Speaking to reporters after the Pats training session in Gilette Stadium, O'Gara said "I feel that I've earned the right to start this game, people have criticised me before and I've always come back stronger and proved the doubters wrong"

"Busted my ass"
    When asked how a 180-pound novice could hope to withstand the fearsome Eagles defence, O'Gara said, "I feel I'm in the best shape of my career. I've busted my ass over the last 8 months and to be stepped over in this way is very disappointing."

O'Gara has made two appearances in the field goal unit for the Patriots and has a season best FG of 44 yards, but it was not enough to persuade Belichick to overlook 8-time Pro-Bowler Brady as the key man. "I've done everything I can. I've made the most of the opportunities I've been given and I feel I deserve a shot at this", O'Gara, a 29th round draft pick in 2013, said. "It just makes you question everything about where this team is going."

The Patriots coaching staff were unavailable for comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

It's suprising more of the rugby kickers haven't at least gone over on trial once they hit 29. I'd be confident also ROG would make it as a kicker.
    - Long history of high pressure kicks with game on the line
    - Does not currently take a long run up
    McFadden you would think is suitable also and he could cover punter as he has a huge boot. A long hangtime would be no bother to him.

I would have loved to have seen Jason Robinson in NFL. Would have made a great running back, just hand him the ball and guaranteed gains each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,826 ✭✭✭nerd69

My mistake, I thought he was older. Either way, 30 is very much the "point of no return" for running backs.

only if they have been taking a pounding since young ferris has taken less big hits so he could last a few years after easily

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭wonton

while on the talk of changing sports, gavin henson would probably make a grand soccer player.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭davegrohl48

Ferris is not fast enough to play running back. I would say no current Irish player is quick enough to be a running back.
    A few would have the ability to play wide receiver due to having great ability to catch a ball under severe pressure. Rob Kearney for example. Shane Horgan in his day.
    Of players in this years six nations only maybe George North could play running back, not blazing quick but his power/size makes up for it. Edit and also possibly Manu Tuilagi.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

It's suprising more of the rugby kickers haven't at least gone over on trial once they hit 29. I'd be confident also ROG would make it as a kicker.
    - Long history of high pressure kicks with game on the line
    - Does not currently take a long run up
    McFadden you would think is suitable also and he could cover punter as he has a huge boot. A long hangtime would be no bother to him.

I would have loved to have seen Jason Robinson in NFL. Would have made a great running back, just hand him the ball and guaranteed gains each time.

Someone like Jason Robinson would be a dime a dozen in the NFL, don't think he'd be anything special.

Also don't think that any rugby kickers would be automatically at an advantage to that of someone who grew up playing AF. Most rugby players don't start to get into serious kicking training until they are about 15, the same probably goes for AF players. Difference is that the AF player spends his whole time practicing with an american football and in game scenarios. Why would they need to scout rugby players, who would need time to adjust(and may never adjust) when they have access to fresh talent from college?

The best players would all be coming from one part of the rugby playing world, the pacific islands. The Fijians, Tongans and Samoans(and the Maoris) would be the only people that could compete with the genetic freaks that the US manages to produce.

I think they could play FB, tackle, tight end, defensive end or linebacker. One guy I'd love to see play NFL is Pierre Spies. He's a freak. Ridiculously athletic. You could put him at any position you want, though he'd probably do best in WR so long as his hands aren't bad. Besides, I don't think he's a good enough rugby player to be world class, raw talent works better in the NFL.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Kearney is far too slow to be a WR.

I'm not sure how many kickers could actually completely change their routine to play NFL. They have to run up far quicker generally straighter and with more pressure. On the other hand the kicks themselves are generally easier. You'd need someone with a fairly hefty boot like Steyn or Halfpenny and they'd take a lot of time to get used to it I imagine.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement