Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] - Deep Section Wheels

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭Rawhead

Would I be correct in guessing that most athletes would be better off losing a few kgs than spending huge money on wheels. I'm not being factious, but surely unless your at perfect weight and everything else is in good order then expensive wheels won't make a whole lot of difference. I ask this as someone with a good bike with stock wheels but still about 5/6kg overweight.
    (If spending the money on wheels alleviates my need to lose those few kgs then I'll rob a post office to get the loot).
    Is a power meter not a better investment for the majority of people?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Rawhead wrote: »
    Would I be correct in guessing that most athletes would be better off losing a few kgs than spending huge money on wheels. I'm not being factious, but surely unless your at perfect weight and everything else is in good order then expensive wheels won't make a whole lot of difference. I ask this as someone with a good bike with stock wheels but still about 5/6kg overweight.
    (If spending the money on wheels alleviates my need to lose those few kgs then I'll rob a post office to get the loot).

I think you are right but it's a personal question and everybody has to answer it for themselves, weather they are willing to post their personal answers here or not...again a personal thing. So personally, I am practically at race weight (I think) after dropping 10kg over the winter and still 55 odd days to A race, hence the reason I was quick to answer this question :)

For me a disc wheel at c.€120 vs a power meter at c.€1000+? Well I know which I can afford right now. Money no option then yes I would power meter my bike up first.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I think you are right but it's a personal question and everybody has to answer it for themselves, weather they are willing to post their personal answers here or not...again a personal thing. So personally, I am practically at race weight (I think) after dropping 10kg over the winter and still 55 odd days to A race, hence the reason I was quick to answer this question :)

For me a disc wheel at c.€120 vs a power meter at c.€1000+? Well I know which I can afford right now. Money no option then yes I would power meter my bike up first.

It's too late in the season to buy a power meter, where as buying wheels = buying speed. On a flat course aero beats weight.

All that said... I would spend a grand on power before I'd spend a grand on wheels.

I wasn't on about those race wheel covers but the zipp yokes that cost nearly a grand. I was genuinely asking whether wheels make a huge difference. I'm new to the game and only learning. I have a Felt B16 with standard wheels and what would the gains on a HIM be with a pair zipps? I'm not having a pop at people with the money to spend but surely unless your at your ideal race weight then the first and cheapest step would be to lose weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

I wasn't on about those race wheel covers but the zipp yokes that cost nearly a grand. I was genuinely asking whether wheels make a huge difference. I'm new to the game and only learning. I have a Felt B16 with standard wheels and what would the gains on a HIM be with a pair zipps? I'm not having a pop at people with the money to spend but surely unless your at your ideal race weight then the first and cheapest step would be to lose weight.

Has anyone done their own testing with new wheels and covers, ie do a 20k tt with stock wheels and then try with new bling wheels. I know it's all over the net that bling is faster but I'm interested in real people doing real tests. I was amazed at the difference recently when I bought the tt bike versus the road bike, definitely 2 mins over a 20k tt, but I don't know if I'll gain that much more with lighter aero wheels. The stock wheels on my tt bike are aluminium but are deep sections?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

Just buying better wheels will make anyone go faster, whether overweight or not. The same cannot be said for just buying a power meter. You still need to learn how to train with it and use it correctly. And don't forget it's still possible to train hard and effectively without a power meter.

I spent €1,550 on two Zipp wheels back in the day. I never seriously looked into investing in a power meter, but I know they can go for similar prices. I don't think you're going to save a whole lot by buying one over the other. Admittedly I know next to nothing about training by power, but if it's a straight up choice between buying wheels or a power meter, the wheels would definitely be my recommendation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

zico10 wrote: »
    Just buying better wheels will make anyone go faster, whether overweight or not. The same cannot be said for just buying a power meter. You still need to learn how to train with it and use it correctly. And don't forget it's still possible to train hard and effectively without a power meter.

I spent €1,550 on two Zipp wheels back in the day. I never seriously looked into investing in a power meter, but I know they can go for similar prices. I don't think you're going to save a whole lot by buying one over the other. Admittedly I know next to nothing about training by power, but if it's a straight up choice between buying wheels or a power meter, the wheels would definitely be my recommendation.

I would disagree from personal experience, power meter if used & trained with properly will garner bigger improvements. All about the engine and less about the bling:) 1k on wheels or 1k on power meter it would be the power meter all day long....my missus would probably say I would buy both though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Power power power! Having converted to the power side of things a few months back i cant recommend it enough! I do however have a set of Zipps but even still had i a choice of power v Zipps id go power. I'm enjoying training so much more this year having a power meter. Last year i had so many long bikes that i really real;ly hated and did question why i was doing the sport! There were days when i felt like i was toast and couldn't get HR up to where i wanted it and it really played on then mind. Id be in a stinker of a mood for days after. Whereas this year i forget completely about HR as its virtually useless to train with on the bike. Today for instance i was only in the 130's pushing my HIM power whereas im normally in the 140s. Reason for this i believe is i have a minor cold. Had this been last year id be in a foul humor now thinking i didn't hit my targets when in fact i actually surpassed them, by a lot!

That said a coach would be number 1! A coach who knows everything about power who you can trust completely is a bonus ;-) Its really for the training benefit. On the day ill ride as i see fit with just the odd check on power. Also the longer you go the more important pacing becomes. For a sprint i don't care about power. It just motivates me to keep consistent and not have any drop offs below what i know im capable of. Oly would be the same, HIM you get to know a range to stay within at least but then IM you need to pace it close and pay attention to those numbers (not that i know from experience on this distance).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Fazz is testing it out this weekend so perhaps if he doesn't mind he will report back here?

Ok, did a stint today on race setup with disc cover.

Not the windiest but there were a few crosswinds which actually seemed easier to handle. May be that the winds were not strong by comparison to previous but either way pretty impressed.
    In terms of performance gains, too hard to judge to be honest. I did a couple of 20min pacey stints and was flying but that's just the engine LOL :D;)
    Had a tail wind going down and no issue and flew, headwind coming back and that's where a couple of crosswinds came but seemed easier to balance bike. Like I was leaning more instead of getting the front wheel moved easier from under me.
    Now could be the placebo effect and also the psychological effect but from reading that article about needing more cover on the rear to handle a deep dish front it really did feel like that.
    Back out tomorrow for a longer stint and more varied roads so hopefully be a better test and yield similar results.

Good signs so far.

In my experience, a 60mm front wheel is more problematic in winds than a disc cover is.

• Advertisement

mloc123 wrote: »
    In my experience, a 60mm front wheel is more problematic in winds than a disc cover is.

Makes sense, however I'm referring to this article posted by Zico the other day
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&p...TAzMWNjYTViNjY

I'm running an 81mm front wheel, but instead of 81mm rear it's now a disc covered rear.
    And for some reason it seems to have helped and provided more stability than just the 2 x 81mm's.
    I was out last week on the same roads with the 2 x 81mm's for comparison.
    Will see tomorrow but the article seems to be relevant so far.

Bambaata wrote: »
    ....... i forget completely about HR as its virtually useless to train with on the bike....

Jeez thanks Bambaata...now I feel my ride today was totally pointless...way to bring me down dude.....:( (;))

a BIG +1 on the coaching :cool:

Jeez thanks Bambaata...now I feel my ride today was totally pointless...way to bring me down dude.....:( (;))

a BIG +1 on the coaching :cool:

Looks like you need a PM, all the cool kids have them.. I'm so cool I have two :cool:

Now I just need some power to back them up.

Looks like you need a PM, all the cool kids have them.. I'm so cool I have two :cool:

Now I just need some power to back them up.

Well a PM would you believe is two years aways in my SUPER BIKE BUILD plan...may have to rethink that one, reason being-I won't be HIM racing again for 2 years and I feel like Bambaata that power is more important the longer the race distance. In saying all that.....if a man was looking for a buyer of a spare PM....I might know someone interested....although he is so broke right now he can't even afford to pay attention:cool:! Shall I get my jacket?? :o

I would disagree from personal experience, power meter if used & trained with properly will garner bigger improvements. All about the engine and less about the bling:) 1k on wheels or 1k on power meter it would be the power meter all day long
    Power power power! Having converted to the power side of things a few months back i cant recommend it enough! I do however have a set of Zipps but even still had i a choice of power v Zipps id go power.

The two of you obviously have both fancy wheels and a PM, so I'll ask you, if it came down to it, on race day itself which would you go without?
    Bear in mind you'd be going out on sh!t €150 wheels. I'm not trying to say training by power is a waste of time, but you both seem to be forgetting the benefit deep rim wheels provide.

Thats a hard one to answer truthfully but the real clincher for power is training with it. If i had a choice of training with power for months in advance of the event or race wheels for the day id go with power if that meant racing on bog standard wheels. Its really the hours and hours spent beforehand that count. And i do all that training on such wheels :)

Power meter is very useful on long course so I would choose it. OLY and below I would choose race wheels. But as Bambatta puts it, it's all about the work you do leading up to your race.

Genuine questions, how much of your power output will be spent turning the non aero wheels? I think it's only Jackyback training for an IM, but if you were to put a time to it, how many minutes do you think the PM is going to give you over 180km?

I've no doubt a power meter is a wonderful training aid, and you both say the benefits of the PM are to be gained during training in the build up to your race. But it's hardly a case that it enables you to train for longer than the guy who doesn't have one.

Let's take the hypothetical situation of two athletes, of similar abilities, who have trained for an ironman. One has a PM, one has bling wheels. When it comes to race day they'll have both put in similar hours on the bike, one might have trained smarter, but the other guy's aero wheels are going to give him free speed, your PM will not. How much of a time benefit this free speed will amount to I don't know, but it definitely puts the guy without the aero wheels at a disadvantage.

If of similar ability starting out the guy who trained with a PM is going to be a stronger biker on the day and hence also have more for the run.

Also a PM can be got for a lot less than bling wheels. You can get a Power2Max and have €500-700 for decent wheels for the price of a set of Zipps. Sure you'd prob pick up a second hand pair of Zipps for that ;)

Im not all that up on the science on all this but i know from experience that training with a power meter is far superior than without. Thats as long as its used correctly but thats where coach comes into his own ;)

Fazz wrote: »
    Ok, did a stint today on race setup with disc cover.

Not the windiest but there were a few crosswinds which actually seemed easier to handle. May be that the winds were not strong by comparison to previous but either way pretty impressed.
    In terms of performance gains, too hard to judge to be honest. I did a couple of 20min pacey stints and was flying but that's just the engine LOL :D;)
    Had a tail wind going down and no issue and flew, headwind coming back and that's where a couple of crosswinds came but seemed easier to balance bike. Like I was leaning more instead of getting the front wheel moved easier from under me.
    Now could be the placebo effect and also the psychological effect but from reading that article about needing more cover on the rear to handle a deep dish front it really did feel like that.
    Back out tomorrow for a longer stint and more varied roads so hopefully be a better test and yield similar results.

Good signs so far.

Ok followed up today with another decent stint including hills, N11 down and backs, road from N11 at Kilmacanogue to Roundwood - anyone that knows this will be well used to the cross winds once you climb the hill.
    I went out and back this also.

Now today wasn't the windiest, but did have a few gusts and constant blowing of some form.

Happy to report Disc cover was no issue at all. Felt fast, and if anything when I did get a cross wind it seemed to help stabilise things.
    Hard to explain, could be down to cross winds not being as strong as I've experienced before but I didn't get thrown around at all.

Almost felt like when the front was getting a gust, the rear would then come into play and help stabilise the whole bike causing me more to just lean into wind rather than full on turn adjustment of front wheel.

This will be my race setup for all races this season until I experience otherwise.

Again, it's impossible to compare to previous days when I've experienced a lot worse gusts moving me on shallower wheels, but on todays experience, I loved it.
    Until I experience otherwise I have to say this was superb and recommend it to all.

Disclaimer - could be related to lower winds than normal but didn't feel like it.
    Make your own decision and do not come blaming me :D

PS Disc noise is in effect also! ;)

• Advertisement

zico10 wrote: »
    Genuine questions, how much of your power output will be spent turning the non aero wheels? I think it's only Jackyback training for an IM, but if you were to put a time to it, how many minutes do you think the PM is going to give you over 180km?

I've no doubt a power meter is a wonderful training aid, and you both say the benefits of the PM are to be gained during training in the build up to your race. But it's hardly a case that it enables you to train for longer than the guy who doesn't have one.

Let's take the hypothetical situation of two athletes, of similar abilities, who have trained for an ironman. One has a PM, one has bling wheels. When it comes to race day they'll have both put in similar hours on the bike, one might have trained smarter, but the other guy's aero wheels are going to give him free speed, your PM will not. How much of a time benefit this free speed will amount to I don't know, but it definitely puts the guy without the aero wheels at a disadvantage.

Zico i can only go on personal experience this year with training with a power meter and a coach who knows what he is about and say the improvements i have made this year will far outway the same athlete as me last year without the bling wheels.
    I am not sure about what extra watts would need to be pushed out on non aero wheels but my honest opinion is i do not believe i am going slower on the bog standard wheels in the last few rides compared to the zipps. Thats probably because i am going faster as my power is creeping up. I honestly believe those training with power properly will have an advantage over those who do a mixed bag of training but have all the fancy ****....in saying that i have both:P

Easy to say but unless you are training with a power meter you will not understand. I have dropped a few bob on tri stuff but my best investment is the PM.
    A case in point is Bambatta's work on the bike this year, much improved on last year and will be a better cyclist for it!!

If of similar ability starting out the guy who trained with a PM is going to be a stronger biker on the day and hence also have more for the run.

Ye but he's also going to be minus his aero wheels, this hands an advantage back to the guy with those wheels. Whether this disadvantage can be overcome due to the benefits of having trained with a PM I don't know, but assuming the rival was still training smartly, I think the gap, if it exists at all, will be a lot closer than you think.
    Im not all that up on the science on all this but i know from experience that training with a power meter is far superior than without. Thats as long as its used correctly but thats where coach comes into his own ;)
    Zico i can only go on personal experience this year with training with a power meter and a coach who knows what he is about and say the improvements i have made this year will far outway the same athlete as me last year without the bling wheels.

That's the thing, you both talk about coaches and a PM, not just a PM. Not trying to be a smart arse, but coaches are hardly free. The original question I responded to asked would a power meter be the best bang for buck an athlete could invest in. A coach is an added expense and for a decent coach over a year it's going to add hugely to your outlay on triathlon. And it shouldn't be unreasonable to expect a decent coach to come up with a decent training plan for an AG athlete who doesn't have a PM.

I am not sure about what extra watts would need to be pushed out on non aero wheels but my honest opinion is i do not believe i am going slower on the bog standard wheels in the last few rides compared to the zipps. Thats probably because i am going faster as my power is creeping up.

I'm sure my power was creeping up when I was training for an IM. I never trained with power, or HR for that matter, but just because I wasn't paying any attention to them doesn't mean improvements weren't being made.
    Easy to say but unless you are training with a power meter you will not understand. I have dropped a few bob on tri stuff but my best investment is the PM.

Maybe I'm only seeing what I want to see, but is there not evidence cropping up in the FTP thread, that warns against becoming a slave to power?
    I originally posted recommending wheels over a PM, and I'll probably never know for sure until I train by power, but I'll still stand by that recommendation.
    A case in point is Bambatta's work on the bike this year, much improved on last year and will be a better cyclist for it!!

I have never followed Bambaata's training, but you're hardly lying when you say he will be a better cyclist this year, on account of his training with a PM. Surely with a similar volume of training he would have been cyclist regardless. One thing is certain though if he arrives at a race having forgot his race wheels he's going to clock a slower bike time.
    Also a PM can be got for a lot less than bling wheels. You can get a Power2Max and have €500-700 for decent wheels for the price of a set of Zipps. Sure you'd prob pick up a second hand pair of Zipps for that ;)

That might be the best sloution.:)

How much of an improvement will a pair of wheels make in a 40k TT?

How much of an improvement will a pair of wheels make in a 40k TT?

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=1099

Not as much as you think!!

Zipp seem to claim on their website that there would be a 30watt saving with their wheels over an OLY course. Cannot see it myself although open to tests supporting the claims, 30w just seems massive. I might do my own test :)

Kinda going off topic here (but sure it has already :P) Zico has kind of eluded to this in his last post but I'll put the question out there:

Best bang for buck - Disc Wheel, disc cover, a PM or a coach?

For me it's an easy one, and I know I will have strong support on this - coach everyday. If you look hard enough and inquire enough Zico you'd be surprised at the value you can get for a quality coach...for me anyway best investment. If I bought a PM, ya sure I'd read up plenty but nothing like someone who has plenty of experience and knowledge to pass on and stop you wasting time making silly mistakes, though I don't have a PM I made silly mistakes last year, this year I have someone casting an eye over what I do and how I do it. He is removed from the situation and uses his head, the danger for me used to be just doing what I want when I want how I want.

For me it's an easy one, and I know I will have strong support on this - coach everyday. If you look hard enough and inquire enough Zico you'd be surprised at the value you can get for a quality coach...for me anyway best investment. If I bought a PM, ya sure I'd read up plenty but nothing like someone who has plenty of experience and knowledge to pass on and stop you wasting time making silly mistakes, though I don't have a PM I made silly mistakes last year, this year I have someone casting an eye over what I do and how I do it. He is removed from the situation and uses his head, the danger for me used to be just doing what I want when I want how I want.

I'm not disputing the fact that a good coach can help you to bigger improvements than the other options you list. But price wise it's not a fair comparison, a coach is an ongoing investment, and it won't take too many months of coaching before what you pay for their services exceeds what you would have paid for wheels or a PM. A coach may well be fantastic value, but so would Roman Abramovich's yacht for $100 million, but if you can't or don't want to pay that sort of money then it doesn't really matter. Maybe the poster who originally asked about the best bang for buck is prepared to pay for a coach, but as you'll see below nowhere in the original post did he mention this. What he asked was which was better value a power meter or wheels, and I answered accordingly.

Back to the wheel covers, will we set a deadline of Wednesday night to get a finalised list?

Yeah sure

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Simple take 3 guys of similar ability etc....
    Lad A gets a top spec PM and is off to his own devices €€€
    Lad B gets a bling set of wheels and does his own thing €€€€
    Lad C gets a good Coach and lets go of control €€

They all race the same race 6 months down the line after training just as hard as each other... who wins?

Neither a nice set of wheels nor a PM can hold you accountable for overtraining or undertraining or junk training as the case may be. So its the Coach IMO

• Advertisement

Back to the wheel covers, will we set a deadline of Wednesday night to get a finalised list?

Yep sounds fine

Advertisement