Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Gear] - Deep Section Wheels

Options
  • 02-04-2012 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Let's base responses on the assumption that people are racing in Ireland.

I was wondering what logic people use for deciding what depth to go with on their wheels?

Does your FTP (assuming you use Power) have any bearing on the depth you should use?

Is a disc on the rear the best choice?

If not chosing a disc, how important is having differenet depths on the front and rear? A lot of people seem to use 20 or so deeper on the back than front. Does it matter?

Any other pointers or advice on going down this route?

I currently use TTR2 wheels which are 19.4mm deep. These came with my bike.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Interested in what the general thoughts on this are.

Personally, I bought a set of 50s for last season as they were very light and I was going a lot of hilly races, or very exposed races which were likely to be windy (Valentia, Lost Sheep, HOTW, BOTE, Brian Boru). Anything bigger would have been heavier or out of budget, and impossible to control in cross winds especially given my lack any weight!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Currently race on 808's.
    Just got a disc cover to fit and try out.

Regarding aero, I don't think a disc can be beaten overall.
    Perhaps on most hilliest of course where weight costs too much but that's rare I'd say.

Regarding front being less deep, people only do this for comfort in windy conditions.
    Example last year at Valentia I know a guy that raced on 808's. That was about as hairy and windy as its gonna get.
    Kevin Keane had a wind induced fall on same course, possibly due to running his 808's but I can't confirm this as not sure what he used.

Not a lot in it for irish races id imagine so comes down to personal preference.
    I mean, comparing same guy using 404 front vs 808 front on same oly course and day has gotta be talking what? All of 15seconds if that?

My opinion would be base it on personal preference, and try out if possible beforehand.
    The new firecrest 404's are supposed to be similar aero as old 808's, but with none of the wind catching limitation.

If I was buying a set of wheels now, I'd seriously look at the Enve 6.5's.
    Similar to 404 front and 808 rear and come with brake pads supposedly very good for carbon wheels. Not cheap though.

Hed seem better priced and just as good.

You're into the whole tub vs clincher debate after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Fazz let us know how you get on with the disc cover, considering going with one for Roth.

Fazz let us know how you get on with the disc cover, considering going with one for Roth.

Will do. Give me a week and I'll get back to you...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭BennyMul

From what I recall (and cant remember the source sorry)

the front wheel is the one which generates the air turbulence so this is the one which should be a deep section; as said previously there comes a point where stability will\may be compromised due to cross winds.
    The dept. of the back wheel is not as important due the wind over the frame and rider etc.
    As for disc I believe unless it’s a very hilly route there is an advantage using one but are they worth the cost

The deepest I personally would go is 60mm, this is a nice compromise you get the advantage (slightly slower to accelerate however easier to maintain speed once there) and less impacted from cross winds making the bike more stable and allow you to be in the aero position longer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

pgibbo wrote: »
    Let's base responses on the assumption that people are racing in Ireland.

I was wondering what logic people use for deciding what depth to go with on their wheels?

Does your FTP (assuming you use Power) have any bearing on the depth you should use?

Is a disc on the rear the best choice?

If not chosing a disc, how important is having differenet depths on the front and rear? A lot of people seem to use 20 or so deeper on the back than front. Does it matter?

Any other pointers or advice on going down this route?

I currently use TTR2 wheels which are 19.4mm deep. These came with my bike.

I think you could benefit from a deeper wheel.

I have a Zipp 404 front. (58mm)
    I have a Zipp 404 rear (58mm too surprisingly)
    I also have a Zipp 808 rear (81mm)
    I also have a Zipp 900 disc

If I was going again from scratch I would get a pair of 808s and a wheel cover. Although the 606s are a nice comprise. Or Hed Jets. If a littler nervous on the bike I would limit the dept to about 50-60mm

A disc or wheel cover is practically always the best option.

Go deep section and get a wheel cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭pgibbo

tunney wrote: »
    I think you could benefit from a deeper wheel.

I have a Zipp 404 front. (58mm)
    I have a Zipp 404 rear (58mm too surprisingly)
    I also have a Zipp 808 rear (81mm)
    I also have a Zipp 900 disc

If I was going again from scratch I would get a pair of 808s and a wheel cover. Although the 606s are a nice comprise. Or Hed Jets. If a littler nervous on the bike I would limit the dept to about 50-60mm

A disc or wheel cover is practically always the best option.

Go deep section and get a wheel cover.

Cheers Dave. I'm saving hard! :D

Thankfully catweazle is going to let me borrow his SRAM S80s for a few races so that will give me a feel for deep sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭El Director

Well I ride these, 84mm rear and front. As you can see P there is currently a nice sale going on there, 50% off! I don't hear many speak of nor do I see many but for me - I love them. I only race in them and going from training wheels to these really feels great, they definitely make a difference. First time on them yes a cross wind almost flattened me by I got used to it and I have no problem since. Now that I'm 10kg or so lighter it may be a problem :rolleyes:

I was lucky, a guy with more money than sense let them go for €500 even though he only raced ten times on them! So basically if you went for those babies at €480 and the wheel covers as described by Fazz you are looking at 3 wheels for €630 - two deep section and one disc :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I bought a wheel cover last year, worked put fine. Tape it onto the rim instead of using the fixings and it sounds better ;)

May be interested in a group order as I need one for a 60mm rim now.

mloc123 wrote: »
    I bought a wheel cover last year, worked put fine. Tape it onto the rim instead of using the fixings and it sounds better ;)

May be interested in a group order as I need one for a 60mm rim now.

Mmmmm.....me too.....going to do a little more research first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

How much would they work out at with the customs charges if got on group order? Might be interested too

Also interested in group order.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

pgibbo wrote: »
    Thankfully catweazle is going to let me borrow his SRAM S80s for a few races so that will give me a feel for deep sections.

Call over whenever you want them, they are only gathering dust in my attic at the moment. I will stick them on for a few of the Tri Lakes TT's hopefully but that's about it for the next while

Bambaata wrote: »
    How much would they work out at with the customs charges if got on group order? Might be interested too

Customs was 21e on top of mine last year.

Fazz is testing it out this weekend so perhaps if he doesn't mind he will report back here?

Fair play Mloc for stepping up to look after the order....push/shove to the front :)

Shipping on one cover is $49 and $123 on five.

5 covers inc. shipping = 435e or 87e each + possible duty/VAT

Duty and Vat is 27.7% combined on the 435e so it would be an extra 120e or 24e/cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Sorry lads may have missed it but are ye talking about covers for specific wheels or do they fit all 50-80mm?

Sorry lads may have missed it but are ye talking about covers for specific wheels or do they fit all 50-80mm?

You specify the rim and hub and they cut them to measure.

mloc123 wrote: »

You specify the rim and hub and they cut them to measure.
    Even on a 50mm? Benefits ?

• Advertisement

Even on a 50mm? Benefits ?

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/aerodisc-data.html

You get a disc for 100e ;)

Im in

Im in

+1

okay, I don't mind putting the order in.. I will probably need money off people upfront for the order. If we get a finalised list I'll work out prices.

Cheers Mloc, of course money up front.

Disc cover list
    Shotgunmcos
    Jackyback
    Mloc123 (i assume you are ordering one?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Disc cover list
    Shotgunmcos
    Jackyback
    Bambaata

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭zico10

If I was still in Ireland, I'd definitely be interested in a disc cover, but I'm not so....

But just so as my post is not completely useless, posters here might find the following article of interest.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bXBzdHJhaW5pbmcuY29tfHNlcnZpY2VzfGd4OjQ1MDkyNTAzMWNjYTViNjY

zico10 wrote: »
    If I was still in Ireland, I'd definitely be interested in a disc cover, but I'm not so....

But just so as my post is not completely useless, posters here might find the following article of interest.

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=bXBzdHJhaW5pbmcuY29tfHNlcnZpY2VzfGd4OjQ1MDkyNTAzMWNjYTViNjY

Now that is interesting indeed.
    So I should see it easier to handle going from a pair of 808's to a disc cover rear.
    Will find out soon!
    That settles it for Valentia then, sticking with same race setup all season so!

Disc cover list
    Shotgunmcos
    Jackyback
    Bambaata
    El Director

• Advertisement

Disc cover list
    Shotgunmcos
    Jackyback
    Bambaata
    El Director

I'm out. Shame. I researched and found they don't do em for Shimano's, specifically the 50mm DA

Ah well...

Advertisement