Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese community in Limerick / Mid-West?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Aye
    it could be something that could be done by the society, are you in any societies in UL?
    no unforuntely, but I know a lot of people out there, I could ask them. Afaik Tibet last year got a culture day and I think Africa get a culture day too, is there a Japan one? I know the Karate club my friend is in goes over to Japan every so often so they'd be interested in being part a culture day I'd say, afaik it's part of UL too.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

Sera wrote: »
    no unforuntely, but I know a lot of people out there, I could ask them. Afaik Tibet last year got a culture day and I think Africa get a culture day too, is there a Japan one? I know the Karate club my friend is in goes over to Japan every so often so they'd be interested in being part a culture day I'd say, afaik it's part of UL too.

you should join some of the ones that interest you, they actually have alot of activities!!

I think ill ask aswell, can send the president of anime and manga a pm on facebook in a few mins, see what he thinks!

I think ill ask aswell, can send the president of anime and manga a pm on facebook in a few mins, see what he thinks!
    do sure :3 lemme know what happens.

I asked about the classes, he said he was self taught but did the exam in Connell Avenue :(

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

@osarusan , are there any ways of getting in contact with these people? for example the chance to meet native japanese speakers, help them with their charity etc? its something id like to do. Also, im assuming your Irish and married to a Japanese lady? If so, how have you adopted to life in Japan etc?

I've been in Japan for a few years altogether, lived in Yokohama, Yokosuka, Matsumoto, and now Hachioji.

I suppose I've adapted - I've not learned the language as well as I should have - as a teacher, I'm surrounded by native English speaking friends and students who want to learn English, so I've (shamefully) not created opportunities to improve. I've had to learn to eat a lot of different things, be a lot more patient, and understand that people are far less likely to say something negative directly, but expect (or hope, in the case of a foreigner) that the body language will be understood.

There's an a Japanese proverb, roughly the opposite of 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' which is 'the nail that sticks up gets hammered down' - I think it provides some insight into elements of the culture here.

Regarding your language learning, the charity efforts have basically ended, and I'm not sure that there is much else they do other than go out as a group of friends. They're housewives with kids, and to be honest, I'm not sure they'd be too interested in a language exchange.

You might go to a room on the 1st floor of the Languages and Culture building in UL - there is a poster there for language exchanges - people write their name and email, with the language they want to learn, as well as the language they can speak, and hopefully they get contacted. You could put up your own sign if you wanted, I'd say.

There is a 日本語 section on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=224

Plenty of links to websites and other approaches to learning there too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

osarusan wrote: »
    I've been in Japan for a few years altogether, lived in Yokohama, Yokosuka, Matsumoto, and now Hachioji.

I suppose I've adapted - I've not learned the language as well as I should have - as a teacher, I'm surrounded by native English speaking friends and students who want to learn English, so I've (shamefully) not created opportunities to improve. I've had to learn to eat a lot of different things, be a lot more patient, and understand that people are far less likely to say something negative directly, but expect (or hope, in the case of a foreigner) that the body language will be understood.

There's an a Japanese proverb, roughly the opposite of 'the squeaky wheel gets the grease' which is 'the nail that sticks up gets hammered down' - I think it provides some insight into elements of the culture here.

Regarding your language learning, the charity efforts have basically ended, and I'm not sure that there is much else they do other than go out as a group of friends. They're housewives with kids, and to be honest, I'm not sure they'd be too interested in a language exchange.

You might go to a room on the 1st floor of the Languages and Culture building in UL - there is a poster there for language exchanges - people write their name and email, with the language they want to learn, as well as the language they can speak, and hopefully they get contacted. You could put up your own sign if you wanted, I'd say.

There is a 日本語 section on boards: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=224

Plenty of links to websites and other approaches to learning there too.

Thanks alot for getting back to me! it means alot! I can understand that you had to learn to eat alot of things, from the japanese food Ive had, its strange, and eating things like たこ And ばさし does not appeal!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 FrankKazuo

Hey! I'm Japanese-Peruvian and I'm living and studying in UL. Is anybody interested in learning Spanish or Japanese let me know!

Advertisement