Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japanese community in Limerick / Mid-West?

Options
  • 02-04-2012 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Not really sure where I should post this, I'm just curious as to whether there is a japanese community in the mid-west, I myself study the language and have great fun with my language partners but they are all going home soon, but the thing is, as I thought about it, there is pretty much no Japanese activity in the area to my knowledge, no restaurant etc, does anyone on boards know of anything different?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Hi guys,

Not really sure where I should post this, I'm just curious as to whether there is a japanese community in the mid-west, I myself study the language and have great fun with my language partners but they are all going home soon, but the thing is, as I thought about it, there is pretty much no Japanese activity in the area to my knowledge, no restaurant etc, does anyone on boards know of anything different?

I know the man who owns Takumi Precision Engineering in Raheen Ind Estate speaks fluent Japanese and is married to a Japanese lady.
    I'm pretty sure that she has some Japanese friends in Limerick.
    I'm not sure if this helps you much

• Registered Users Posts: 4,840 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

There is a poster that comes on here sometimes by the name of Osarusan and I believe he lives in Japan at the moment but he might be able to give you some information.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭gaf1983

Perhaps somebody in the Japanese department might be able to point you in the right direction?

http://www3.ul.ie/llcc/subjects/japanese/

Regarding the lack of a Japanese presence generally in the area, I'd say a Sushi restaurant might do really well in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Quite a few Japanese people living in Limerick.

I lived in Limerick until last March when we moved back to Japan, and my wife (Japanese) was always out meeting her Japanese freinds. My impression is that the Japanese in Limerick are mainly women married to Irish men (with a few exceptions, naturally).

They got together in a big way after the tsunami, and have a website here:

http://homepage.eircom.net/~japanaidlimerick/

They also had a facebook page, which will give you some idea of the numbers living in the region.

https://www.facebook.com/JapanAidLimerick.

I know one of them at least gets part time work as a translator/interpreter, but I'm not sure there is a language teacher among the group.

There is no Japanese restaurant at all, and I'm not sure the group do much other than get together every now and then for dinner or a few drinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭LimerickLad92

I have to thank you all so much for your very fast replies in aiding me with this! :)

@osarusan , are there any ways of getting in contact with these people? for example the chance to meet native japanese speakers, help them with their charity etc? its something id like to do. Also, im assuming your Irish and married to a Japanese lady? If so, how have you adopted to life in Japan etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

there is pretty much no Japanese activity in the area to my knowledge, no restaurant etc, does anyone on boards know of anything different?
    What osarusan posted is all I know and that Copper and Spice in the market did a Sushi night a few times afaik.
    I'm glad someone else is asking about it. Are you still looking to learn or are you finished learning Japanese? I know one of the schools does lessons but only on a Saturday (awful day for me)

Sera wrote: »
    What osarusan posted is all I know and that Copper and Spice in the market did a Sushi night a few times afaik.
    I'm glad someone else is asking about it. Are you still looking to learn or are you finished learning Japanese? I know one of the schools does lessons but only on a Saturday (awful day for me)

Im only studying it 7 months now, love it so much though, im looking for somewhere to take lessons over the summer to keep me on my toes etc

Im only studying it 7 months now, love it so much though, im looking for somewhere to take lessons over the summer to keep me on my toes etc
    I'll keep an ear out because I'd love it myself, there's a my language coach on NDS which I thought wasn't too bad tbh, if you wanted something til then.

I'll keep an ear out because I'd love it myself, there's a my language coach on NDS which I thought wasn't too bad tbh, if you wanted something til then.

NDS?

Just thinking back, there was actually Japan Irish Exchange exhibition in Art Gallery in 07 and a Japan Fest in the Clarion the same year, never heard of Japan Fest happening again unfortunately.
    I uploaded the photos of those 2 events on my Flickr > here
    NDS?
    Nintendo DS?

• Advertisement

Just thinking back, there was actually Japan Irish Exchange exhibition in Art Gallery in 07 and a Japan Fest in the Clarion the same year, never heard of Japan Fest happening again unfortunately.
    I uploaded the photos of those 2 events on my Flickr > here
    Nintendo DS?

Ah the console, my bad! haha

Just had a look at the photos there, there interesting, its a shame more stuff like this does not appear to be happening, id love to get to know some japanese people actually living in the mid-west area, shame there does not seem to be many people around.

Ah the console, my bad! haha

Just had a look at the photos there, there interesting, its a shame more stuff like this does not appear to be happening, id love to get to know some japanese people actually living in the mid-west area, shame there does not seem to be many people around.
    I know it was a fantastic day out, they'd a tea ceremony demonstration and you could join and she showed you everything.
    Access Cinema had a Japanese film festival actually, should be on again this year > here's the link. I only got to go to Sawako Decides in the end but it was a fantastic film, not a great turn out for it though about 20 people, Belltable was great place to have it.

I know it was a fantastic day out, they'd a tea ceremony demonstration and you could join and she showed you everything.
    Access Cinema had a Japanese film festival actually, should be on again this year > here's the link. I only got to go to Sawako Decides in the end but it was a fantastic film, not a great turn out for it though about 20 people, Belltable was great place to have it.

Wow, that seems very interesting?

Do you youself have a high level of japanese?

Do you youself have a high level of japanese?
    No I'm still a beginner :P

No I'm still a beginner :P

Have you being studying for long? Where? when?

Have you being studying for long? Where? when?
    like I'm only learning myself, my friend did LC Japanese somewhere in town (^ said it up there) one of the schools does it on a Saturday and he gave me all his books and stuff before he went to Japan doing the Jet Programme and he's still there now.

like I'm only learning myself, my friend did LC Japanese somewhere in town (^ said it up there) one of the schools does it on a Saturday and he gave me all his books and stuff before he went to Japan doing the Jet Programme and he's still there now.

Cool,

do you know what school it is?

Also, if you ever need any help just hit me up, we've already covered the leaving cert in my course etc

Cool,

do you know what school it is?

Also, if you ever need any help just hit me up, we've already covered the leaving cert in my course etc
    I definitely will :3 thanks. I think I might have been the tech or something, I'll message and ask

I definitely will :3 thanks. I think I might have been the tech or something, I'll message and ask

Cool, id love something to help tide me over!

just had another idea, did you try the Japanese forum on boards? it's not all Limerick but it might have something

• Advertisement

just had another idea, did you try the Japanese forum on boards? it's not all Limerick but it might have something

I have actually, just there recently!

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭patspost

There is a factory near Tulla Co Clare that used to be called/ part of Olympus, a Japanese company. I think it is now called Beckman or something like that. I am not sure if they have any/ many Japanese staff, might be worth giving them a shout.

If there are other Japanese companies around maybe they have Japanese staff here, can't think of any companies at the minute.

patspost wrote: »
    There is a factory near Tulla Co Clare that used to be called/ part of Olympus, a Japanese company. I think it is now called Beckman or something like that. I am not sure if they have any/ many Japanese staff, might be worth giving them a shout.

If there are other Japanese companies around maybe they have Japanese staff here, can't think of any companies at the minute.

Thanks for the tip mate, ill give it a look!

patspost wrote: »
    I know Analogue do a lot of business with Japan but I'm not sure if their employees would be Japanese

Dublin had an Experience Japan Day yesterday actually

Dublin had an Experience Japan Day yesterday actually

awh F**k really, that woulda been something i would have done!!!

awh F**k really, that woulda been something i would have done!!!
    I wonder would there be any way to organize something like that, maybe in UL during the summer. I know BroCon is on in July though but the anime society do Japanese lessons I think, it may be only beginners.

I wonder would there be any way to organize something like that, maybe in UL during the summer. I know BroCon is on in July though but the anime society do Japanese lessons I think, it may be only beginners.

Ya they do lessons every thursday 7-8, my good friend Takaya is running them this semester and I often go just to help him explain things

In relation to brocon there wont be any japanese speaking / cultural points of it (apart from anime and manga itself) - i know this as im on the committee for it!

Ya they do lessons every thursday 7-8, my good friend Takaya is running them this semester and I often go just to help him explain things

In relation to brocon there wont be any japanese speaking / cultural points of it (apart from anime and manga itself) - i know this as im on the committee for it!
    There's a page for EXPJPN if you want to have a look.
    I know there wouldn't be much for Brocon since it's mostly gaming, I was just saying it was on during the summer :3

• Advertisement

There's a page for EXPJPN if you want to have a look.
    I know there wouldn't be much for Brocon since it's mostly gaming, I was just saying it was on during the summer :3

Aye

it could be something that could be done by the society, are you in any societies in UL?

Advertisement