Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 1 Bohemian Rhapsody Vs Stairway to Heaven

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Nevermind, feel free to continue to sound like the subject of a Ross O Carrol Kelly book!

But Boh Rhap is just short for Bohemian Rhapsody. What's so wrong about saying that way? I also said Stairway instead of Stairway to Heaven as well. Should I not have said that either?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Bohemian Rhapsody for me. sang it with my three groomsmen (wigs and all) on my wedding day!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Riddle101 wrote: »
    But Boh Rhap is just short for Bohemian Rhapsordy. What's so wrong about saying that way? I also said Stairway instead of Stairway to Heaven as well. Should I not have said that either?
    Stairway is still a recognisable and readable word. "Boh Rhap" on the other hand is nt 2 fr awy frm rtrd spk :).
    And there's no second 'r' in rhapsody either ffs!

Malice wrote: »
    Stairway is still a recognisable and readable word. "Boh Rhap" on the other hand is nt 2 fr awy frm rtrd spk :).
    And there's no second 'r' in rhapsody either ffs!

But Boh Rhap is reconisable in this case because everyone knows what i'm talking about when I said Boh Rhap, the thread title has Bohemian Rhapsody in it. I just shortened the word, just like I shortened Stairway to Heaven to just Stairway.

I could understand if there wasn't a topic on Queen and the word Boh Rhap was just thrown without any context, that would make it unrecognisable. But if people know what you mean, then it shouldn't really be a problem whether you say Bohemian Rhapsody or Boh Rhap. It just seem like a ridiculous thing to get fussy over. Also saying that that it's not too far away from retard speak is a bit harsh. It's not as if the entire post was written in text speak or something. It's a shortened name like saying John instead of Johnny.

But anyway, I don't think anything else needs to be said on this. It's better to get back on topic. Looks like Bohemian Rhapsody is winning this thing. Just thinking now, of other songs that I can put against each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭Tarkus

Stairway without a doubt...

• Advertisement

Riddle101 wrote:
    It's a shortened name like saying John instead of Johnny.
    To paraphrase what I already wrote, Stairway and John are still recognisable and readable words. Boh and rhap aren't. There is a crucial difference.
    Riddle101 wrote:
    saying that that it's not too far away from retard speak is a bit harsh. It's not as if the entire post was written in text speak or something
    No it's not harsh at all. I detest txt spk and needlessly abbreviating words is just one aspect of that. What next? Are you going to start calling it Bhmn Rhpsdy and then abbreviating that to Bh Rhp? Everyone should know what you mean because the thread title has Bohemian Rhapsody in it right?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Stairway to Heaven for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Joe_Dull

I was agonising over this for ages and went with Stairway. The entire of Bohemian Rhapsody can't compare to the last verse/solo in Stairway.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Just thinking now, of other songs that I can put against each other.

Master of Puppets Vs Raining Blood

Malice wrote: »
    To paraphrase what I already wrote, Stairway and John are still recognisable and readable words. Boh and rhap aren't. There is a crucial difference.

How is Boh Rhap not recognisable when it's in context with this thread? Also how many songs do you know that could be called Boh Rhap? It's simple enough to recognise, especially since as I said it was by Queen, and the thread title says it. If I was talking in a normal conversation, I wouldn't say Boh Rhap but I wrote Boh Rhap to shorten to the name of the song, for the thread because I was under the impression that people would be more interested in discussing the thread topic then ranting about how write Bohemian Rhapsody.

No it's not harsh at all. I detest txt spk and needlessly abbreviating words is just one aspect of that. What next? Are you going to start calling it Bhmn Rhpsdy and then abbreviating that to Bh Rhp? Everyone should know what you mean because the thread title has Bohemian Rhapsody in it right?

If you detest txt speak then fair enough, but Boh Rhap is not txt speak. If I abbreviated it like Bhmn Rhpsdy or Bh Rhp, then that would be different because that dosen't work as well as Boh Rhap, Boh Rhap does as it's simly the first two syllables of both words.

Good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Angel of Death v Master of Puppets would be interesting instead of Raining Blood (that song simply has no equal)

Tornado of Souls/Hangar 18 versus Enter Sandman?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭acidskiffle

Great question.
    Stairway just edges it
    for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭waltersobchak

Never really got Stairway always considered it way too overrated. so Bohemian Rhapsody is the clear winner for me..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Joe_Dull wrote: »
    Tornado of Souls/Hangar 18 versus Enter Sandman?
    As in a popularity contest or a technical prowess?

There would be two differing answers im sure.

Max Power1 wrote: »
    As in a popularity contest or a technical prowess?

There would be two differing answers im sure.

Ah now, Max, if there's one thing that doesn't hold much sway in the Rock & Metal forum it's how popular something is... :rolleyes:

I wrote Boh Rhap to shorten to the name of the song, for the thread because I was under the impression that people would be more interested in discussing the thread topic then ranting about how write Bohemian Rhapsody.
    Who's ranting? If you feel justified in adding unnecessary abbreviations and thereby having your posts read like a Ross O'Carroll Kelly book then you go ahead and use them.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,231 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Bohemian Rhapsody is art, it's opera & rock. Depressive lyrics, psychedelic video. It's mad, it's entertaining. It's everything!

But Stairway to heaven for me is the number one song of all time. It has been ever since I heard the long version on my best mates older brother's stereo back in the 70s

• Registered Users Posts: 5,450 ✭✭✭blastman

This poll boiled down to which song am I least sick of hearing, as both suffer from massive overexposure, IMHO.

Stairway To Heaven FTNW, then....

blastman wrote: »
    This poll boiled down to which song am I least sick of hearing
    That's a very good way of putting it :).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

I'm going with Stairway to Heaven, cos I'm a big Led Zeppelin fan. But also because I cringe everytime I hear/read someone refer to Bohemian Rhapsody as "Bo Rhap".

Advertisement