Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Song War 1 Bohemian Rhapsody Vs Stairway to Heaven

Options
  • 02-04-2012 12:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭

Saw this on another music forum so I thought I'd try it here. Which do you prefer? Boh Rhap by Queen or Stairway by Led Zeppelin. Both songs are world renowned with a lot of critical acclaim. I really can't think of any two songs that would be perfect to put against each other. By anyway what do you think?

As a Queen fan, my bias is towards Queen so out instinct I would go with Boh Rhap but further more, I just like Boh Rhap more anyway. It's one of my favorite songs ever where as Stairway isn't really. Nothing against Stairway either, but Boh Rhap just gets me all the time..

Which Do You Prefer? 53 votes

Bohemian Rhapsody
    0% 0 votes
    Stairway To Heaven
    100% 53 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

No contest. Queen every time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Jemmaa

Cough.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Fi H

Bohemian Rhapsody :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Hmm, Stairway is a masterpiece, but I'll go with Bo-Rhap as its more innovative and original. Stairway is an example of the classic 70s epic rock song done to perfection, but there are many other classic 70s rock songs simliar to it where Bo-Rhap was a classic epic 70s rock song, but much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭icarus86

Bohemian Rhapsody for me, but im not a big stairway fan so it was a fairly easy choice:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

I even prefer Bohemian Rhapsody's b-side to Stairway to Heaven.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

They are both overplayed to fcuk but I prefer Zep any day

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

I prefer Stairway, but for feck sake, will people please stop playing it as soon as they pick up a guitar?! It's nicer to hear than fucking "Wonderwall", yes, but don't ruin a good song for a dude. Bohemian Rhapsody is a great tune too.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Gratuitous typos fixed in thread title and poll.

Now, as for the songs themselves I voted for Stairway to Heaven. The Queen song reminds me of Graham Norton or that scene from Wayne's World where the lads are in the car singing along. I don't particularly like Norton or the movie so the song is kind of tainted by association.
    Nailz wrote:
    will people please stop playing it as soon as they pick up a guitar?
    Does that really happen much? It's quite a difficult song for a beginner as I recall so surely anyone able to play it after they've just picked up their instrument is a virtuoso!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

They are perfectly matched, both with pretentious lyrics that initially seem profound but are actually very silly,both with memorable instrumental hooks that define the song.
    I'd give it to Freddy only because he was aware of the silliness, I rather suspect Zep were a bit more po-faced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Wereghost

Bo Rhap, but both songs are great, having both been recognised by the godlike genius that is Rolf Harris.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭cml387

Some would say Rolfs cover of Stairway is the definitive version.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭nungesser

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

I eventually went with Stairway. Tough pick!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Malice wrote: »
    Does that really happen much? It's quite a difficult song for a beginner as I recall so surely anyone able to play it after they've just picked up their instrument is a virtuoso!

Happened to these poor bastards!:pac:

As to the thread question,Bohemian Rhapsody all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,731 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Atari Jaguar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Somnus

I went for Stairway. Despite the fact they're both brilliant songs, Stairway is a masterpiece. The music and mood flows so well and it's just timeless in my opinion.

And while I would be like most others and think it can be overplayed, whenever I actually listen to it I just think: That is an amazing song.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

In fairness, most main stream songs are overplayed. I guess in their mind, if they played something like Black Dog(Which is actually my favourite Led Zep song) then that wouldn't be cool. Stupid money spoiled music industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Has to be Bohemian Rhapsody for me.

Better song my miles in my opinion.

Also, Led Zepplin were rip off merchants.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18500_the-5-most-famous-musicians-who-are-thieving-bastards.html#ixzz1qzMfekEH
    The opening notes of "Stairway" were taken almost note-for-note from a song called "Taurus" by Spirit.
    But for the record, Led Zeppelin opened for Spirit on their first U.S. tour, so it's safe to assume they were familiar with the band. Repaying an opening spot on a tour of the States by stealing a guitar riff is sad, but what's even sadder is that Spirit's guitarist, the awesomely named Randy California, knew exactly where "Stairway to Heaven" came from but was too nice of a guy to say anything - he just wanted them to say "Thank you."
    They never did."

I had a dream last night in which I was playing with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page and harmonising with Page on guitar. Someone told me to play with Page and I said don't be silly, he's a god descended from the pantheon, I can't play over his solos, but then I did. I know it has nothing to do with this thread but it was just such an awesome dream and I felt like telling everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

I thought most people would vote Stairway but yeah, Bohemian Rhapsody all the way

I never knew that! Bastards! You hear similarities in songs all the time that can be put down to coincidence/simple chord structure/homage but that just sounds like taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Stormageddon

I had a dream last night in which I was playing with Robert Plant and Jimmy Page and harmonising with Page on guitar. Someone told me to play with Page and I said don't be silly, he's a god descended from the pantheon, I can't play over his solos, but then I did. I know it has nothing to do with this thread but it was just such an awesome dream and I felt like telling everyone.

That's a fantastic dream. I once dreamt I was at a Queen concert and got pulled on stage for what I thought was a big Bruce Springsteen 'dancing in the dark' moment but turned out to be a Crystal Maze type game show presented by Freddie that involved me stuffing gold and silver foil in my pants. No one ever told me if it was for survival or cash prizes. So..yeah. I like your dream better.

Anyway....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Has to be Bohemian Rhapsody for me.

Better song my miles in my opinion.

Also, Led Zepplin were rip off merchants.
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18500_the-5-most-famous-musicians-who-are-thieving-bastards.html#ixzz1qzMfekEH

Wow just had a listen to taurus, stairway is a blatent rip off.
    I had never heard of spirit before or the song?

Anyway even before i knew this it would be Queen all the way for me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Stairway for me! I'm just not really that much of a Queen fan. They have some great tunes like Under Pressure and Somebody to love, but I find that if I hear too much Queen it just really grates on me, though I do love the production on a lot of Queen stuff. I hate the middle opera section of BR too, so Stairway was an easy choice, plus Wayne's World kinda ruined BR for me too.

I don't think StH gets overplayed by guitarists that much, and sure even if it does, if someone can play it all the way through i'll give them the nod too. If you want to really hear a Zeppelin epic, check out Achilles Last Stand, now there's a song to lose yourself to :D

That's a fantastic dream. I once dreamt I was at a Queen concert and got pulled on stage for what I thought was a big Bruce Springsteen 'dancing in the dark' moment but turned out to be a Crystal Maze type game show presented by Freddie that involved me stuffing gold and silver foil in my pants. No one ever told me if it was for survival or cash prizes. So..yeah. I like your dream better.

Anyway....

That's an awesome dream in itself, especially the Freddie presenting the Crystal Maze bit, he would have been the perfect successor for Richard O' Brien.

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Firstly, could people stop saying "Boh-Rhap"!

For me, both songs are riciculously cheesy and overplayed to death! However when I hear stairway I just tut and roll my eyes but, when I hear bohemian rhapsody I tend to not change the radio station as it's more of a diverse song. So oweing to this I'll vote for Queen!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Malice wrote: »
    I don't mean it in that sense, what I mean is whenever someone is in a music shop and there's a guitar there, a lot of people — who knows what they're doing — tend to play Stairway. I noticed it a lot anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭Riddle101

Firstly, could people stop saying "Boh-Rhap"!

For me, both songs are riciculously cheesy and overplayed to death! However when I hear stairway I just tut and roll my eyes but, when I hear bohemian rhapsody I tend to not change the radio station as it's more of a diverse song. So oweing to this I'll vote for Queen!

Why?
    I don't mean it in that sense, what I mean is whenever someone is in a music shop and there's a guitar there, a lot of people — who knows what they're doing — tend to play Stairway. I noticed it a lot anyway...

Is that because of Wayne's World? or was it done even before Wayne World did that scene in the music shop, where there's a sign in it saying "No Stairway" the Mike says "No Stairway, Denied"?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭TheStickyBandit

Riddle101 wrote: »
    Why?

Nevermind, feel free to continue to sound like the subject of a Ross O Carrol Kelly book!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭jaspertheghost

no contest...bohemian rhapsody is the best song ever!!

Advertisement