Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Charge Mega-Thread [Part 2] *Poll Reset*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Would you call an unoccupied house a household?

If it's occupiable - sure.

I note that this definition doesn't seem to have posed any problems for the anti-charge side either - when they cling on to the census figures that include the same unoccupied-but-habitable houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

alastair wrote: »
    What with the impending dictatorship and so on? It's terrible isn't it?

What?:confused:

gerryo777 wrote: »
    What?:confused:

Just following your lead:
    Proper little dictatorship we're turning into now, aren't we?

I note that this definition doesn't seem to have posed any problems for the anti-charge side either - when they cling on to the census figures that include the same unoccupied-but-habitable houses.

Did you ever pay the queen of england the money you owe her?

Did you ever pay the queen of england the money you owe her?

I didn't owe the queen anything.

• Advertisement

Just wondering there alastair, did you pay your outstanding tax bill in the UK?
    Or are you still a tax dodger?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭bgrizzley

Just wondering there alastair, did you pay your outstanding tax bill in the UK?
    Or are you still a tax dodger?

I have no outstanding tax bill in the UK - as is the case with everyone else who refused to pay the poll tax.

Venn diagram time again?

This property tax is levied only on households. A subset of property is the household. As far as I'm aware, the cat is not a subset of the dog genus.

If there was a specific licence required for a poodle however, it would be both a poodle tax and a dog tax (the poodle being both a, eh, poodle, and a dog).

its a property owner tax, a subset of households are property owners.
    dogs and cats are both mammals.
    3/10 must try harder(on the Venn).

I have no outstanding tax bill in the UK - as is the case with everyone else who refused to pay the poll tax.

Ah, I see!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I didn't owe the queen anything.

Can we clear this up once and for all please before we all go mad. What was your objection to the poll tax? Can you not see some similarities to that tax and this HHC?

bgrizzley wrote: »
    its a property owner tax, a subset of households are property owners.
    dogs and cats are both mammals.
    3/10 must try harder.

If your argument is that a 'mammal' tax couldn't be called a 'cat' tax, if it's only levied on cats, then you'd be wrong. You'd also be wrong if you believed that you could call a cat a dog, on the basis of their both being mammals. I think you're just confusing yourself further.

And yes - property taxes are only levied on owners of property. Not exactly news.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

This is a boring and pointless discussion, close thread please.

hondasam wrote: »
    Can we clear this up once and for all please before we all go mad. What was your objection to the poll tax? Can you not see some similarities to that tax and this HHC?

Alastair thinks that it's ok to object to what is perceived as an unfair tax.

Just not in Ireland!

Hypocrite!

If your argument is that a 'mammal' tax couldn't be called a 'cat' tax, if it's only levied on cats, then you'd be wrong. You'd also be wrong if you believed that you could call a cat a dog, on the basis of their both being mammals. I think you're just confusing yourself further.

And yes - property taxes are only levied on owners of property. Not exactly news.

i wouldnt call you a chimpanzee, yet there is only a 4% difference to one in your DNA. (and mine:D)

This is a boring and pointless discussion, close thread please.

I'd almost agree with you but sure dv and alastair would have very lonely lives if they didn't have us to keep them company.

It's a kind of 'care in the community' thread for them.

We all have to do our bit, especially with all the cutbacks in the health service.

thought we established that it is a household tax, not a property tax(until next year)

hondasam wrote: »

No. This tax (or the tiered system we'll soon be paying proper money into) equates more closely to the UK Council Charge - an equitable arrangement that people may not like paying, but are prepared to stand over. The Council Charge replaced the inequitable Poll Tax - where major flat charges applied to mansion owners and bedsit renters alike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

i wouldnt call you a chimpanzee, yet there is only a 4% difference to one in your DNA. (and mine:D)

What % separates you from a weasel?

thought we established that it is a household tax, not a property tax(until next year)

Nope. It's a property tax.

• Advertisement

Alastair thinks that it's ok to object to what is perceived as an unfair tax.

Just not in Ireland!

Hypocrite!

I'd object to an unfair tax here too. That's not the case with property taxation.

No. This tax (or the tiered system we'll soon be paying proper money into) equates more closely to the UK Council Charge - an equitable arrangement that people may not like paying, but are prepared to stand over. The Council Charge replaced the inequitable Poll Tax - where major flat charges applied to mansion owners and bedsit renters alike.

Is that the same council tax/charge that everyone, including renters pay in the UK?

What % separates you from a weasel?

did i insult you in some way francis? have i not been civil and listened to your argument even when i disagree? did i call you any name since this thread started?
    why so serious?

(And i think its about 8% diff)

Nope. It's a property tax.

they should have called it that then........

I agree it was unfair at the time.
    We are paying a flat €100 charge now,same for every home owner regardless of small house or mansion. This is for the purpose of getting us to register.

The problem is we do not know what it will be replaced with next year,we have to take their word for it which we know is not the smartest thing to do.
    The government is asking us to register and sign a contract for the future without us knowing what it is we are actually agreeing to. We cannot read the small print because they have not printed it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

An unoccupied house is not really a household.

Alastair,answer my question there will ya? Post no. 2093

Is that the same council tax/charge that everyone, including renters pay in the UK?

People on low incomes get tax benefits to reduce their council tax. There are certain concessions.

Alastair,answer my question there will ya? Post no. 2093

Yes - in the main - not everyone is liable for council charges, and discounts apply to many, but yeah - the council charge is a rates system as opposed to a property tax - and renters generally pay them.

I didn't claim they were one and the same, just that they were closer to each other than the poll tax would have been.

• Advertisement

Yes - in the main - not everyone is liable for council charges, and discounts apply to many, but yeah - the council charge is a rates system as opposed to a property tax - and renters generally pay them.

I didn't claim they were one and the same, just that they were closer to each other than the poll tax would have been.

So do you think we should have the same system here or not?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement