Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers & Irish Times Short Story Comp

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭c68zapdsm5i1ru

Me neither :(

What do you think of the longlist so far. Some good pithy stories, but some cringey ones as well.

I wasn't a big fan of last year's winner and read it a few times to see if I was missing something. Some of the ones shortlisted were better in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Me neither but my story was pretty horrendous!

Yeah, some of them are awful but I read a few good ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Someone told me I'm on it, but I haven't checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Its not a final list yet as they said they will be adding to it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

EileenG wrote: »
    Someone told me I'm on it, but I haven't checked.

Such admirable self restraint.
    I'm not on it but I keep checking in case I might have missed it.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

I've since checked (!) and I am on it. But it's such a strange list it's hard to know who is on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

i'v read a few of them and i reckon Michael Devlins is gonna win it; Wonder is betting opened up on this?

His is good alright but, like so many of them, is let down by weak writing at the end.
    I think Joe Kearney's story is one of the best of the selection I've read so far. I also thought Denise Deegan's was good (I wonder is she the Denise Deegan who's published several novels).

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭hous

I've been thinking about this and I would expect that the short list and likely winner are not in the list on the website yet. Reason is I'm not sure they would want to release the wining story this early on...it's more likely they will have a long list, of which they keep 40 short listed until last then announce the winner....

Either that or it's wishful thinking as I haven't made the long list yet!!!!

Ah, that must be it. No wonder my name hasn't appeared yet. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 MOONlit

thanks for thoses ecs. enjoyed reading them.I liked Joe's, but a happy ending,
    it does not have. Yes I would believe that Ms Deegans is a published writer as her story is very polished.
    My money is still on Mr Devlins story - he puts the whiskey and friendship together at the end. His story reminds me of filling in a crossword puzzle - it ticks all the boxes.I googled Mr Devlin. I'll bet he is the journalist from Ulster. If so, he has published a (very witty!) cookery book and other stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

hous wrote: »
    I've been thinking about this and I would expect that the short list and likely winner are not in the list on the website yet.

Aha! That's it. I was pretending to myself that my name wasn't up there because I only submitted an hour or so before the deadline and they hadn't reached the later entries yet, but I like your explanation so much better!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Madammoiselle

Does anyone know if more names are going to be added? Or is that the end of it??

Does anyone know if more names are going to be added? Or is that the end of it??

They've added names around 2pm to the list every day (including weekends and bank holidays) for the past 9 days. They say they'll keep on adding to the longlist until they publish the shortlist - I'd say we'll easily see the longlist continue until the weekend.

EDIT: didn't see that competition winner is to be announce on 19th May; To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if it kept going past that until next Wednesday - but it ain't over as long as they keep posting "Check back soon – the longlist continues" after each iteration of the list.

Thanks for the info. The list wasn't updated today, so I was curious. I thought I had a good chance of being on the list but reading the stories so far I've changed my mind! There is still hope though so fingers crossed!
    Do they cut the longlist into the shortlist or is the shortlist a brand new list of names? Sorry for all the questions, my first time entering a competition like this so I'm absolutely clueless!

Apologies - now I look quite the ass! I could have sworn I saw longlist number 9 this afternoon - I think I need to go lie down before my hallucinations become more specific and I start imagining my name appearing on the longlist!!!

I'm gonna crash the Irish times website I've been on & off it so much! Patience is a virtue that I do not possess. Obsessed! Really not a good thing. Best of luck m'dear! :-)

Still no additions to the longlist. I wonder have they started shortlisting from the selection published? Or is the shortlist going to be kept separate and posted after the general longlist??

To be honest, with such a generous prize, I would have expected a few more wow! type stories. Most of the stuff selected is nicely written but quite safe and traditional. I would love to have seen a few more quirky punchy stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 middaydemon

Still no additions to the longlist. I wonder have they started shortlisting from the selection published?

Looks like the longlist has shortened and there's no longer any invitation to "check back later"

Looks like the longlist has shortened and there's no longer any invitation to "check back later"[/Quote]

Awww :-( that's it then!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 middaydemon

Looks like the longlist has shortened and there's no longer any invitation to "check back later"

Awww :-( that's it then![/QUOTE]

Actually it's just been updated - hope remains!

Up to longlist #17 as I type....

Yaaaay. I'm on it!

(Although maybe that means I'm definitely not on the shortlist!)

Longlist 17 is headed 'Short List' when you actually go into it. Is that it then?

Longlist 17 is headed 'Short List' when you actually go into it. Is that it then?

Good spot! I didn't notice that myself. And that 'longlist continues' message isn't at the end of 17 either.

I'm actually on list 17, so now I don't know if I'm longlisted or shortlisted. It's not really clear.

I'm actually on list 17, so now I don't know if I'm longlisted or shortlisted. It's not really clear.

Congrats! I think that list 17 must be the final list and the winner is in there- so best of luck! :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

Well congratulations to you, Bella and everyone else who didn’t get "Sorry about your damn luck!” or words to that effect when you put your name in. :)

I presumed the shortlist would be the top 50 i.e. the winner and the 49 other people who will make the book , but it’s only got 29 names?

Bit demoralising not to the make the approx. 400 names on the longlist, but i guess I should still be proud of the fact that I finished the story and enjoyed doing it. Nothing else for it but head to the pub for a...Jack Daniels & coke :p

Thanks guys, but still not sure it's the short list. If it is the story by Killian O Hanlon deserves to win. I loved it (damn him!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

In fairness there are so many entries to read that they may be still doing just that !

Advertisement