Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powers & Irish Times Short Story Comp

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,143 ✭✭✭D-FENS

could your main character raise the bottle aloft in both hands and shout "I have the Power!"

I’ll gladly take this suggestion on board, wavehopper1 and I’ll also mention he’s only wearing his y-fronts, give him the full Masters of the Universe appearance! :D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

You're not reading it with a pure spirit.

I was half asleep and thought that was actually last year's winner :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

Powers has always been woven into the heart of true Irish community. With a bottle pride of place in every Irish home, Powers has traditionally been the accompanying toast to mark all of life's occasions - from the seemingly small to the highly significant.

lol
    Maybe I will write a fantasy piece as they seem to be living in such a world :)

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭psicic

Think I'll give this a shot - thanks op.

Glad we have last year's winner as a guide, but I think I'll have a problem sounding even remotely sincere using that style of writing. Usually my writing involves some degree of humour or subversion... I don't see huge scope for that if I want to stay in the running for 10 grand!

echo beach wrote: »
    It was one of the conditions last year to mention Powers at least once.

So even though it's not a condition this year, can we assume mentioning it in an entry this year would still be advisable?

• Advertisement

D-FENS wrote: »
    So even though it's not a condition this year, can we assume mentioning it in an entry this year would still be advisable?

Given who's judging this thing, the safest bet is probably talk about how the Irish Times brought your family together when, while having your morning shot of Powers, you noticed an innovative branding competition by Vizeum, a world leader in strategic marketing. This brought your family together in discussion and, eventually, there were tears, because of [insert minor tragic reason here], which you soaked up with old copies of the Irish Times and squeezed into the piles of empty bottles of Powers strewn about your family home. Now, with the rest of your family dead or emigrated, you sell these bottles of emotions to Americans to help remind them of the importance of family.

Geeze.... I might be in with a shot after all!!! :pac:
    ________

Actually I am also in two minds over whether it would be a positive or drawback to mention Powers this year. On balance, I assume at least some reference would be advisable. I would also welcome hearing what other people think.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 tis a fine line

I'm thinking of entering it too, in a shamelessly sell-out fashion :o

If that's the sh1te they're looking for (last years winner) in exchange for 10K, I'll give them the best sh1te i have. No problemo :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Yeah, I'm prepared to write some ****e for that sort of money. Hell, I've written enough crappy ad features in my time...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Smudge_pot

Here are some more of last year's stories if anyone's interested

https://www.facebook.com/powerswhiskey#!/powerswhiskey/app_272710859475205

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭De Dannan

I entered a piece today. God it was hard to condense a story to 450 words!
    I threw in a few mentions of Powers for good measure

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Maybe they add in the Powers references to the winning story, like in Anne of Green Gables. She won a writing contest sponsored by Rollings Reliable Self Raising Flour but was horrified when copious mentions of Rollings Reliable were added to her story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

alfa beta wrote: »
    ok - we'll post after the winner is announced.

and yeah - definitely enter the comp - 10k is 10k in anyone's language.

I might pm you with my effort in the meantime though (if I actually get around to it - forgive me if I don't.)

If they accept your entry then you won't have the authority to publish it here (or anywhere else)
    13. By entering the promotion and submitting a short story, entrants agree to assign all intellectual property rights in their entry to The Irish Times and Irish Distillers Pernod Ricard Limited. Further the entrant agrees to waive all moral rights.

I see this little blurb on the facebook page:
    The inspiration for this competition was inspired by a hugely popular advertising campaign for Powers Irish Whiskey which ran in the 1980s based on conversations and short stories. A nugget of social history, the campaign was an extraordinarily successful one, instantly recognisable from its charming illustrations and wonderful heart-warming stories that sat so easily with the Powers brand and its traditional, authentic and Irish values. As a rich, round and full flavoured whiskey of exceptionally good taste and character, Powers Irish Whiskey featured in each of the campaign stories.

Looks like the mention of Powers is highly recommended so!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭lukegriffen

I was surprised how corny the winning entry was last year so I googled to see what the rules were, and fair enough, you had to mention Powers;
    from http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/magazine/2011/0514/1224296651360.html
    "Write a short story in only 450 words that mentions Powers Gold Label, on the topic of “celebrating what really matters”

But this year there's no rule to mention "Powers" & since there's a few well known journalists as judges(eg, E.Battersby) then presumably they're going to be taking it seriously & taking the story for its own merits, and not for licking up to Powers.
    However, I could be completely wrong. If only I had the Power(s) of wisdom :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MirLou

Are there any prizes for runners up?? Seems odd if only one winner as am sure there are many good writers will enter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 mmr

Well I entered it and my story has Powers whiskey mentioned 5 times, a relationship breakup, redemption, tight rope walking, reconciliation and a new baby. I'm quite serious, and all under 450 words. It took me forever and I pretty chuffed with myself and my 'writing to script' cleverness.
    If I don't win and they go for something half decent and meritorious, I 'll be rather put out.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭postdarwin

Someone sent me the link to this competition saying there was 10 grand for the best 400 word short story. So I rattled off an anecdotal kind of thing and pressed send.

Unfortunately, although I can write a little, I am apparently unable to read. I've just discovered the theme is “Celebrating What Truly Matters” and my story is sort of dark and unsettled -- more about the savage domestic underbelly of Ireland than swigging Powers in a sexy commercial shot at the beach.

Read it if you like, I don't care now that I can't win. Wahh!

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

'You'll have to bring Janet up next time,' my mother beams, pressing a bag of cashews into my hand as we stand at the door.

'Just take them for the trip -- they were on special below at Alda.' Which is what she calls Aldi, thinking of M*A*S*H perhaps. 'And you'll call us when you get in, just to let me know you're home safe.'

I laugh.

'You never know where I am the rest of the time! What's so different today?' It's an old chestnut between us.

'I know, I know. I just like to know you're all right getting home,' she says, her cheeks colouring a little. 'Sure, hang on there, I'll get my coat and walk you down the lane way,' she says rushing back into the kitchen. 'Two minutes!'

My father looks back at her, shaking his head, smiling. 'She just wants to get the most out of seeing you.'

'It's no trouble to drop up,' I say convincingly. 'I'm always happy to see the place.'

'Your mother appreciates it, she really does.'

'Listen.' His voice drops low, his eyes lower. 'Michael wrote to me again last week.'

I breathe quietly. 'Is that so.'

'We all know it was unforgivable, what he did, and we had to face that. God knows, it was hard on us all. But look, he's "paid his dues" as they say. And what more can we ask?'

He smoothes out the doormat with his toe. 'What happened happened and no-one can change anything. But he's a different man now, your brother.'

'And?'

'He's up for release next month.' He pauses. 'I know we've talked about it all this, but he's no place to go. And your mother...'

'Dad, I don't know if that's such a good idea,' I answer plainly.

'Look, we knew what you'd say about all this. That girl was, I mean, I never knew her but...' He shook his head again. 'He's come on so much, Michael. You'd hardly recognise him. It's a long time...'

He looks up. 'Would you see him?'

I turn away, slowly unclenching my hand in my anorak pocket. I repeat: 'He's a different man, all right.'

My mother bustles back. 'God, I thought I had that blue raincoat in here somewhere.'

'Listen, I'll run down on my own. It's bitter out anyway,' I hug her and break away.

'Are you sure,' she frowns.

'I'm grand. And thanks again for the dinner,' I add, waving.

'Mind yourself!'

I walk back down the lane way towards the station for the last time.

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

• Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

hcass wrote: »
    :D I cringed while reading it.

I wouldn't agree at all. It was a bit wooden at the start but it turned out quite well. Simple, yet powerful. May people have rituals that make sense of the world for them. The trick is to let in some light so that others can make sense of your ritual / filter. Considering she was working with 450 words, I thought the story held together well. With the caveat that the start was uninspiring and wooden.
    With it being Power's first year of the competition, she was attempting to win and entertain. I wouldn't fault her for that. Its easy to be critical; but SHE WON. The story had merit and possibly needed a lot more tweaking.

I can't see anything in the rules / terms about your entry having a title, and i don't see one on last year's winner, anyone know if your story should be titled?

I completely agree, I thought she did a good job. She understood the brief and she stuck to it, and there is an art to that in and of itself. Its very difficult to write 450 words that will display a unique voice, a deliberate style, tell a story and appeal to a wide audience whilst impressing judges enough to win. That's what is about, its about what you can do for Powers Whiskey, not the other way round. And €10,000 is a lot of money and I would be a bit annoyed if some abstract inaccessible high concept piece won. Mine is outright drivel, but I really enjoyed the process of trying to get something entertaining and substantial out of 450 words. Its a brilliant writing exercise, it really disciplines against waffle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I bet you guys are just saying last year's winner was good so that if you win this year you can come back and tell us. Because if one of the people slagging it off wins they'll have to keep schtum.

No, not really I'd be delighted if anybody who is not a professional writers wins, not because I have anything against professional writers, but its great confidence boost if you trying to put your dreams into practice. Putting your stuff out there is a big risk. I'm not a cynic, my stuff is just as good or crap as the next persons. There are very few Colum McCann's in the world. Most writers are grafters who get lucky. And that's the wonderful thing about writing. Most people if they try long enough hard enough will garner some kind of success. So, good luck, I hope you win.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'm just kidding. Taste is subjective. I think last year's winner is awful but obviously some people like it considering that it won.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Speaking of winning awards, has anyone read the winning entry for The Sunday Times EFG Private Bank Short Story Award? 'Beer Trip to Llandudno' by Kevin Barry?

Don't get me wrong, it's good but I didn't think it was spectacular, yet it seems to be getting massive praise from all sorts of prestigious writers

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Tedious Bore

was it the same or similar judging panel last year with irishtimes journos on the panel?

mmr wrote: »
    Well I entered it and my story has Powers whiskey mentioned 5 times, a relationship breakup, redemption, tight rope walking, reconciliation and a new baby. I'm quite serious, and all under 450 words. It took me forever and I pretty chuffed with myself and my 'writing to script' cleverness.
    If I don't win and they go for something half decent and meritorious, I 'll be rather put out.

Fair play and the best of luck. Finished mine yesterday, not as much going on as yours perhaps but i tried to follow the feel of last year's without making it too corny (i hope) and was happy to be able to draw inspiration from events close to my heart (write what you know as they say)

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    Speaking of winning awards, has anyone read the winning entry for The Sunday Times EFG Private Bank Short Story Award? 'Beer Trip to Llandudno' by Kevin Barry?

Don't get me wrong, it's good but I didn't think it was spectacular, yet it seems to be getting massive praise from all sorts of prestigious writers

Do you have a link to the story Kaiser?
    Good achievment for him considering some of the competition, i did enjoy some of his stories in his collection There Are Little Kingdoms.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭--Kaiser--

Do you have a link to the story Kaiser?
    Good achievment for him considering some of the competition, i did enjoy some of his stories in his collection There Are Little Kingdoms.

I don't. I think you need to be a subscriber to The Sunday Times website to read it. It's a story of a group of men in an Ale-drinkers club going around drinking. It has funny bits but it's not hilarious, the dialogue is realistic sounding but nothing of consequence really happens.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012/mar/30/kevin-barry-sunday-times-short-story-award

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

--Kaiser-- wrote: »
    but nothing of consequence really happens.
    That sounds like everything I write. I feel better about myself already.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 ratters2

Sorry, I think Mr.Hefner has already stolen it--you'll have to get in the Playboy line.

Advertisement