Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 CB95NUI

Kiwi_knock wrote: »
    Keep walking past the Small Sports Hall entrance, it is at the end of that corridor.

Thank you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Stupid question, but does anyone know if the gym is open during the exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 704 ✭✭✭Lara_15

Yep it is

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Lara_15 wrote: »
    Yep it is

Does the sign outside the sports halls not say closed until Feb?

GarIT wrote: »
    Does the sign outside the sports halls not say closed until Feb?

My friend went yesterday.... I dunno maybe it's not then

I suppose it does overlook the PE hall so it would probably be distracting to those that have exams in there

• Advertisement

I suppose it does overlook the PE hall so it would probably be distracting to those that have exams in there

I'm not sure, I just thought I saw a sign on the door leading in from the entrance of phoenix. Obviously I'm stressed for exams so I'm not taking everything in properly. The changing rooms, lockers and free weights rooms are closed definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭thelad95

One of my friends went yesterday. The gym door is open but there's no music on and some of the equipment isn't plugged in. I suppose if you went up, nobody would say anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,197 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Is permit parking in force during exams?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,619 ✭✭✭TheBody

Pedro K wrote: »
    Is permit parking in force during exams?

No. See the bottom of this page:

https://www.maynoothuniversity.ie/location/parking-traffic-management

It is open, I was at the top row of the PE hall for an exam, it was quite difficult to concentrate having to listen to a treadmill for the whole exam. I'd say it actually cost me marks not being able to concentrate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭I Am_Not_Ice

It is open, I was at the top row of the PE hall for an exam, it was quite difficult to concentrate having to listen to a treadmill for the whole exam. I'd say it actually cost me marks not being able to concentrate.

I'd seriously consider complaining if I were you; those kinds of distractions shouldn't be allowed to continue.

I'd seriously consider complaining if I were you; those kinds of distractions shouldn't be allowed to continue.

I have done, I didn't know who else to say anything to other than the exams office though, I probably didn't even email the right person. If anyone knows who to go to let me know. A good few other people said the same thing too. The PE hall isn't suitable for exams while the gym is open.

I have done, I didn't know who else to say anything to other than the exams office though, I probably didn't even email the right person. If anyone knows who to go to let me know. A good few other people said the same thing too. The PE hall isn't suitable for exams while the gym is open.
    Maybe bring it up with the SU too?

Maybe bring it up with the SU too?

Good idea, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,462 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The right people to complain to are the exams office. It ensures your complaint will be on record with them and if you want to appeal your result you can point to the fact you raised the issue straight away. No harm talking to Andy in the SU as well to get some facts about it. Bringing it to the exams office should also mean that some step should be taken to stop the gym being used during exam times. Obviously there is some noise and distractions that can't be stopped during an exam but the gym isn't one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

If its a case that the gym is "closed", but the door is being left open.. would it not just be a simple case of locking it, if its not officially open anyway.. Seems like an easy fix..
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Stevonicus

Definitely contact the exams office, but cc in Ben and Andy in the SU and i think there's an email for the sports office too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

This place is very quiet. I hope everyone's exams are going well?

I have 3 long overdue books from the library and a hefty fine has built up. Can I return the books and pay the fine later because I can't afford too at the minute?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,837 Mod ✭✭✭✭suitcasepink

Is it just me or is the library so quiet for exam time today and yesterday? Is say when I left last night there was less than 20 people!
    And I easily got a nice booth with working socket at like 4pm!

• Advertisement

deise_girl wrote: »
    Is it just me or is the library so quiet for exam time today and yesterday? Is say when I left last night there was less than 20 people!
    And I easily got a nice booth with working socket at like 4pm!

I remember in orientation this year, they said that the number of commuters as opposed to people living in Maynooth is rising every year due to increasing accommodation costs and a chronic lack of accommodation in Maynooth. Perhaps it's something to do with that? It's certainly not as busy as I heard a lot of people in 2nd year say it would be. It's hectic at lunch-time obviously but after 3, it quietens down a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

thelad95 wrote: »
    I have 3 long overdue books from the library and a hefty fine has built up. Can I return the books and pay the fine later because I can't afford too at the minute?

I returned 2 books late this year and the fines are put on your account but you don't have to pay them then and there. I was able to take out another book even though I had unpaid fines but it was only for about €6, it might be different for bigger fines.

I returned 2 books late this year and the fines are put on your account but you don't have to pay them then and there. I was able to take out another book even though I had unpaid fines but it was only for about €6, it might be different for bigger fines.

Do you pay using MyCard or in cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭breakfasttime

thelad95 wrote: »
    Do you pay using MyCard or in cash?

I haven't paid them yet so I don't know!

I haven't paid them yet so I don't know!

Haha, it's probably MyCard, I doubt they deal with cash at reception.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

There's a little machine in the corner of the copy and print room on the ground floor of the library for paying fines with your MyCard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Oscars Well.

I owe €8 on books I still have, and I wont be back in Maynooth until the start of the semester. Ugh.

There should really be a mail in option or something.

In theory, could I just keep the fine on my account until I graduate or will they stop me progressing to 2nd year unless I pay the fine?

• Advertisement

I think it's till you graduate... but can you get more books out if there's a fine on your account?

Advertisement