Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 storm42

I wasn't trying to make accusations or take out a "vendetta", I don't have one, I genuinely did not know and was wondering if anyone knew anything. Apologies if it was read any other way than that. The bolded line was a question and not an accusation. Again, apologies. I'll remove it from the post if you'd think it would help?

banquo wrote: »
    I genuinely believe that was a throwaway comment. They were advertised as dancers all over the place but that one time is the only reference to strippers. I'd say the dancers were hired as like "pretend strippers" because, obviously, nobody would think it's a good idea to hire actual strippers.

Maybe, as I didn't write the page I couldn't tell you. I just thought it was interesting that it mentioned it and then it happened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

storm42 wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to make accusations or take out a "vendetta", I don't have one, I genuinely did not know and was wondering if anyone knew anything. Apologies if it was read any other way than that. The bolded line was a question and not an accusation. Again, apologies. I'll remove it from the post if you'd think it would help?

Vendetta was not aimed at you, and accusation statement was for everyone who's throwing two and two together and getting a square

Thwip, ok, thanks for replying and for clearing a lot of things up with your original post.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Thwip! wrote: »
    throwing two and two together and getting a square

Stealing this analogy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

EWong wrote: »
    Man i'm not even registered to vote legally, I don't know what the heck is going on with SU elections except people are throwing flyers at me left right and centre :/ thanks for clearing that up though, hope they get this sorted asap cause it's really annoying.
    They're not throwing them at me for some reason. It's either ageism or they think I look like a lecturer. Not sure which offends me more.

But anyway! What these last too many pages have made me realise is that I'm actually annoyed the SU hired any dancers at all ever. If someone is campaigning on transparency that'd be lovely. I'd like to see what our student contributions get spent on. Full breakdown please. Details. How much to what, who, how, when, why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

mickstupp wrote: »
    They're not throwing them at me for some reason. It's either ageism or they think I look like a lecturer. Not sure which offends me more.

But anyway! What these last too many pages have made me realise is that I'm actually annoyed the SU hired any dancers at all ever. If someone is campaigning on transparency that'd be lovely. I'd like to see what our student contributions get spent on. Full breakdown please. Details. How much to what, who, how, when, why.

It's a while since I've been involved with the MSU in any way really (used to be a class rep etc.) and I've been off campus more than on the last 2 years, but I think I remember something being said about 2-3 years ago about making MSU accounts more transparent. So, does anyone know where us, the students of this union, can actually see the accounts?

**Genuine question rather than trying to stir up trouble/nonsense**

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

This whole thing is just stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,729 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

If you are going to be in a position like Mal's you really need to control how you appear online. He is not a child, excuses like being "fraped" by your mates are not going to cut it.

It blatantly wasn't him. It might be a bit irresponsible but you can't use someone else's words as a stick to beat him with.

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    It blatantly wasn't him. It might be a bit irresponsible but you can't use someone else's words as a stick to beat him with.

I wasn't but I do think it's important to make sure your friends don't do this kind of thing to you. As seen, it gives him a not too good reputation. It never hurts to be careful with your account information.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

I wasn't but I do think it's important to make sure your friends don't do this kind of thing to you. As seen, it gives him a not too good reputation. It never hurts to be careful with your account information.

You can't control the actions of your peers and as such you shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. What you're referring to is literally so last year and has been talked to death.

And for the record, it takes very little know how to frape someone, even if you're safe with your information

Thwip! wrote: »
    You can't control the actions of your peers and as such you shouldn't be held accountable for their actions. What you're referring to is literally so last year and has been talked to death.

And for the record, it takes very little know how to frape someone, even if you're safe with your information

I was not trying to dredge up old news to start an argument, I was merely making a point regarding the issue.

I think that everyone can agree that the university being associated with paying women to strip for male students in the SU is just not a good public image at all and doesn't exactly help the fact that nuim gets complained about a lot in the community for being a place where the students don't really give a crap about much more than drinking and acting like thicks. The sooner the uni deals with this and the people responsible the better.

I agree, there really needs to be some kind of statement made regarding it. The fact that a lot of people only found out about it through the Sunday World and Trinity is pretty ridiculous.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

I was not trying to dredge up old news to start an argument, I was merely making a point regarding the issue.

I agree, there really needs to be some kind of statement made regarding it. The fact that a lot of people only found out about it through the Sunday World and Trinity is pretty ridiculous.

It's already been said that most of the SU have currently stepped down due to elections so no statement can be made until Wednesday when they are back in office.

The discussion about the previous fraping needs to stop. This is only continuing the vendetta against Mal which we have already asked to be stopped. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt storm42 but one more mention of it (by anyone!) will result in an infraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭littleblackDRS

and strip for male students .
    allow women to come and strip for male students
    strip for male students in the SU

So I can't enjoy because I'm a woman? :( Sexism!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭EWong

Hahah ah now that's not the point i'm making at all. As a student I just don't think it gives a good image to the uni, as a lady who loooooooooves the ladies, i'm mad i didn't get in on the action :'(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Has Mal been publicly lynched yet? On another note I walked past the SU today and its so quiet. Looks like the college authorities really succeed in crushing rag week. Its actually kind of sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭JellyBeans92

Has Mal been publicly lynched yet? On another note I walked past the SU today and its so quiet. Looks like the college authorities really succeed in crushing rag week. Its actually kind of sad.

He has yet to be fully determined guilty of anything (afaik?), so the premature lynching would be unfair.

It's times like this I'm glad I'm off campus for the semester..
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Email going around to name the newest building on campus, given the present climate I vote for The Playboy Mansion.

No! The Aperture Science Building!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,844 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I must be so boring, I voted for the Boole Building.

**** that name it after me. The donkeyoaty institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 macpmacp

A question for voters in NUIM.
    I just checked the ents facebook page, all information has been removed for the last few weeks, WHY, If it was honest and accurate or of no consequence why would you delete it?

It would be immoral to allow the election to progress without a full and frank disclosure of this matter, god help us if this is how maters are handled at college stage, sweep all info under the carpet until after the elections and once we are elected you can do shag all about it.

You can only make an informed decision with information - if somebody cannot or will not answer the question do they have something to hide?

macpmacp wrote: »
    A question for voters in NUIM.
    I just checked the ents facebook page, all information has been removed for the last few weeks, WHY, If it was honest and accurate or of no consequence why would you delete it?

It would be immoral to allow the election to progress without a full and frank disclosure of this matter, god help us if this is how maters are handled at college stage, sweep all info under the carpet until after the elections and once we are elected you can do shag all about it.

You can only make an informed decision with information - if somebody cannot or will not answer the question do they have something to hide?

Sure isn't that how all elections are handled the world over.

You would think that a Students Union would be a showcase for democracy, fairness, justice and equality.
    Instead the NUIM SU organises a sleezy strip show that demeans women, nobody in the SU will clarify questions on who paid for what and where elections are held "in the dark".

WHAT A MARVELOUS EXAMPLE THEY ARE TO THE FUTURE LEADERS OF INDUSTRY AND COMMERCE IN IRELAND.

I can only speculate that it was at the strong request of the University as part of damage control. If the "press" can't take a screenshot or have access to any info, they'll just move onto the next non-story.

On front page of next week's Sunday Mirror: "Sheepdog lost in Clane"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

a sleezy strip show that demeans women, nobody in the SU will clarify questions on who paid for what and where elections are held "in the dark".

How does it demean women? The women did what they did by choice, these were only two women I believe and do not represent the entire female population.

The majority of the SU is required to step down for the election. Ben, Mal and Louise are not allowed act in an official SU capacity and they do not have a choice about that. Accounts have been mentioned a few times, unfortunately as these events have happened so close to the elections nobody has access to the accounts, Ben or Mal cannot make the accounts public because they are not allowed to access them until the election is over. They are the rules and have been for a long time, this is nothing new.

What reasonable solution do you have to all this? I know that both Ben and Mal want this sorted as soon as possible but are unable to.

SNIP
    Can think of far better ways to promote student welfare.....
    Don't think it is a non story, think it is criminal waste of taxpayers (MY) money.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

banquo wrote: »
    I can only speculate that it was at the strong request of the University as part of damage control. If the "press" can't take a screenshot or have access to any info, they'll just move onto the next non-story.

On front page of next week's Sunday World: "Sheepdog lost in Clane"

FYP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

[Snip].
    Can think of far better ways to promote student welfare.....
    Don't think it is a non story, think it is criminal waste of taxpayers (MY) money.

You are making a lot of accusations here, do you have anything to back them up? The women were hired as dancers and they themselves chose to go further with it and strip. We do not yet know who paid for it, you can't say it was students capitation money and it certainly was not taxpayers money. Also it is a fact that when entertainment is hired for the SU they make back much more in revenue than the cost of the event.

Advertisement