Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I can haz general discussion? 2!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,087 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I have just withdrew from 1 class as I had too much crazy **** going on and couldn't attend, my attendance has been terrible for weeks now as I have needed to be off campus all the time sorting stuff out, I really liked all the modules I picked but one was way too intense 100% continuos assessment was too much to handle.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

DylanII wrote: »
    Anyone else have a module that they absolutely hate?

I have one, its only on once a week as a double class at 4pm. The course itself isn't so bad but the lecturer is so very boring and dull. I am already tired by the time the class comes around and once I go in I hate it and learn nothing.

I think I only went 3-4 times so far this semester to it. Feel so guilty when I miss it as Im in my final year and really need to get a good result!

Nothing worse than a tedious module with a lecturer who just reads off the notes. (aka. most of my modules this semester :()

• Registered Users Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭BillyMitchel

That's alright then!

I have no idea who you're talking about so!

David Doyle was his name! Great lec minus his ridiculous essays.

Thank fock that is over.

Londis is cool. Staff have always been pretty nice even when I'm asking why at my rashers hard!! Have got nothing from centra yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭Boeing777

I've a module that's a triple class on a Friday from 2-5pm. It's a great module but the work that goes into it is extraordinary. It's 100% CA and group work based. There hasn't been a week since September that I've not spent 4-6 hours every week in meetings :( It's only for one semester so it's so bad. The module itself is really good but it just takes up so much time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Nah skip and do it, get the head down and finish it! I'm in the exact same situation. Do you not think 3500 essay on intention is pretty big for a first year?! Essays just keep coming and coming. Don't even want to think about exams. :O

Tell them you have every intention of doing it

Peace.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,810 ✭✭✭Seren_

Boeing777 wrote: »
    I've a module that's a triple class on a Friday from 2-5pm. It's a great module but the work that goes into it is extraordinary. It's 100% CA and group work based. There hasn't been a week since September that I've not spent 4-6 hours every week in meetings :( It's only for one semester so it's so bad. The module itself is really good but it just takes up so much time.

That's what nearly all of my modules are like. And then with all the other stuff I'm at, it feels like I'm doing loads but not doing anything at the same time.

Thwip! wrote: »
    Tell them you have every intention of doing it

Peace.gif

It's done! No sweat :/

Some weary, upset heads around the library today and why the fock have the library done nothing about people on FB. Line was nearly to the reception desk today and I must have seen a dozen people watching shît videos on YT or others on FB. The inconsiderate fockers.

SU I know you come here, is there nothing you can do? It's highly annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Theres Priority printing/work only Computers being sanctioned to solve the current problem which should be in full swing come exam time, which is when Facebooking will cause most rage. We only get two meeting with the Library staff and admin per semester but this has been our sole issue and is being tackled so watch this space. <3

Hope this brings ease to your annoyance BillyMitchel. I need you to Billy-eave. (forgive me)

MalCallan wrote: »
    Theres Priority printing/work only Computers being sanctioned to solve the current problem which should be in full swing come exam time, which is when Facebooking will cause most rage. We only get two meeting with the Library staff and admin per semester but this has been our sole issue and is being tackled so watch this space. <3

Hope this brings ease to your annoyance BillyMitchel. I need you to Billy-eave. (forgive me)

Cheers for the reply Mal, that's perfect! I hate to sound like a grumpy old so and so but it needed to be said.

Thanks for the heart, feel like I'm on Bebo all again! <3 forgiven :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

Cheers for the reply Mal, that's perfect ! Yeah that's perfect. I hate to sound like a grumpy old so and so but it needed to be said.

Thanks for the heart, feel like I'm on Bebo all again! <3 forgiven :)

Don't worry. This isn't the first time that this has come up and I'm sure that it won't be the last time! In fact I think it only came up a few weeks ago! The computers in the old part of the library have facebook blocked because of this very issue.

Am I the only one who keeps coming across people sitting on each others laps at those computers actually? Is it a secret flirting hub that I don't know about?

• Advertisement

Don't worry. This isn't the first time that this has come up and I'm sure that it won't be the last time! In fact I think it only came up a few weeks ago! The computers in the old part of the library have facebook blocked because of this very issue.

Am I the only one who keeps coming across people sitting on each others laps at those computers actually? Is it a secret flirting hub that I don't know about?

Yeah it does but no one flirts with me :( so maybe ill start moaning about that once Facebook is blocked!!

Joke - I'm not that miserable!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

I don't really understand why there are priority printing/work only computers being sanctioned.

They should ALL be priority printing/work only computers, not just some of them.
    Why is Facebook in the library not banned completely? This is an easy block that can be sorted by the IT people. I've worked in IT. If they say it's not easy, they're lying.

I can just about barely understand that some courses ask their students to look at a rare video on youtube. But does that need to happen in the library rather than in any of the other computer rooms? No. I think youtube can be banned in the library too.

If annoying idiots were banned from the library, all our problems would be solved :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

Is it entertainment sites or just FB?

How big is the priority area going to be. At the moment if all the library computers banned entertainment sites there might just about be enough computers for everyone that wants to do work. Space is also an issue in the library, finding somewhere to sit can be an issue towards the end of the week. Would we not be better off if all entertainment sites were blocked from the library completely even over WiFi? I think the library needs to have a lot more focus on getting work done and not just being a place for people to hang out, if you want to go on FB or youtube or whatever there is always the common room, arts or the su.

I know I've wandered away from doing work plenty of times and I'd be grateful of not being able to, I think a few others would be too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 MalCallan

Jaysus I thought there was computers pouring outta the library! I'll stall by today and just see why they cant do what they did with the old library and ban the major entertainment sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,865 ✭✭✭Dickie10

anyone do climate in 2nd year geography?, I have it down for sem 2 , I liked it in 1st year and I a bit of nerd for climate in its broad sense not climate change, plus im getting pissd off with the arty farty human geography...social and cultural im looking for more practical module, I have rural development down as the other one for semester2 any advice would be greatfully apprctd.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

FB was blocked before the upgrade to Windows 7, then after the upgrade it was unblocked in the library. Dunno why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Because the computer center are useless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭Doctor Strange

banquo wrote: »
    FB was blocked before the upgrade to Windows 7, then after the upgrade it was unblocked in the library. Dunno why.

Because Maynooth.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Planemo

Do they change food in the vending machine after a certain amount of time if it doesn't sell? I think I got a dicky stomach from some bad smarties (how is that even possible:eek:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You're probably allergic to Smarties. You should just buy them and in future give them to me. If I don't have a reaction then you're fine and you can keep buying me chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,168 ✭✭✭Ms. Koi

Dickie10 wrote: »
    anyone do climate in 2nd year geography?, I have it down for sem 2 , I liked it in 1st year and I a bit of nerd for climate in its broad sense not climate change, plus im getting pissd off with the arty farty human geography...social and cultural im looking for more practical module, I have rural development down as the other one for semester2 any advice would be greatfully apprctd.

Who is teaching that module?
    There is a module called Climate and Glaciers, I think it's a second year module. If you can do that one! PM me if you have any more questions

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cas9

Hi guys, can I just quickly ask about the doctor on campus, truth is I'm feeling exhausted for no reason and I don't know what to do... I have low mood as well which might be a cause or result of it. I'm finding it really hard to keep on top of things because of it. I don't have a doctor in Maynooth (I don't have a lot of money either). Just wondering could I use the on campus doctor for this kind of issue? And how much would I have to pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

cas9 wrote: »
    Hi guys, can I just quickly ask about the doctor on campus, truth is I'm feeling exhausted for no reason and I don't know what to do... I have low mood as well which might be a cause or result of it. I'm finding it really hard to keep on top of things because of it. I don't have a doctor in Maynooth (I don't have a lot of money either). Just wondering could I use the on campus doctor for this kind of issue? And how much would I have to pay?

Yep, I'm pretty sure the on campus doctor is free. They never asked me for payment or anything. I do have a medical card though but they wouldn't have known that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

The doc is free and is good for issues like that.

You can also try out the counselling service who are lovely and also free.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Counselling service are pretty good. And free!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 cas9

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭How so Joe

Planemo wrote: »
    Do they change food in the vending machine after a certain amount of time if it doesn't sell? I think I got a dicky stomach from some bad smarties (how is that even possible:eek:)
    I got a sprite out of the machine once that was 13 months out of date. About a week later I happened to see the woman refilling the machine, and I told her that, and pointed out a few more sprites which were out of date but still in the machine (the lid had changed colour, they were an easy spot). She got IMMENSELY annoyed at me, and said she didn't like my tone, I had accused her of not doing her job properly, threatened to go get security, wanted my student card and student number...
    I just don't buy from the vending machines any more.

I found the doctor and nurses in the medical centre very good when I went to them with similar issues. At one point, I'd be in there nearly every day about it and they went above and beyond to help me. Same with the counselling service on campus. Both services are free, but you will have to wait a week or two for an appointment (although both have a certain time set aside for walk-in appts each day).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

Don't suppose there's a 24-hour shop around?

Advertisement