Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

3 for 2 paint

Options
  • 30-03-2012 1:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Bandq athlone doing 3 for 2 paint...also 5 euro planted hanging baskets for anyone interested.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Kinikie wrote: »
    Bandq athlone doing 3 for 2 paint...also 5 euro planted hanging baskets for anyone interested.
    wonder if its nationwide

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Kinikie

Yes, all stores
    http://www.diy.com/ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

BNQ are selling 60 litre bags of PEAT FREE Compost for 5 euro 65 cents each ,or 3 bags for 10 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭robbie99

For the 3 for 2 offer from B&Q, if you only need 1 tin of paint, what you do is you buy 3 tins then return the other 2 within the next 45 days. It's effectively a 33% discount.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭elsparko

would they not expect the third tin back too?

• Advertisement

No.

If you want a refund you will need your receipt so you will be asked for the remaining items.

Seems a bit off trying to figure out a workaround rather than just taking advantage of a good deal.

No, they don't ask for the third tin back. I've done this a few times already and they spread the discount over all 3 tins. On a receipt they'll show 3 line items, say €10 each, then a negative €10 for the 3 for 2 discount, total €20. Bring back an unused tin and they'll scan the receipt and the computer tells them to refund you €6.67. No questions, no quibbles.

The last time they had this offer, I compared prices and found that the B&Q prices for the 2.5L or 5L paint was much more expensive than other retailers like Atlantic Homecare and the 3 for 2 offer brought them only slightly cheaper. I'd have to compare the prices again but not much of a bargain imo.

Didn't know they did that...worth knowing

Bnq are cheapest shed for paint on dulux crown etc...normally a euro or so cheaper....miles cheaper with 3for2 on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

robbie99 wrote: »
    I've done this a few times already
    :confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Didn't know they did that...worth knowing

Bnq are cheapest shed for paint on dulux crown etc...normally a euro or so cheaper....miles cheaper with 3for2 on

Alot of builders providers are actually cheaper on certain paint brands.

Dulux Weathershield being an example.

Been there,done it,and got the t-shirt a few ties over now.

:confused::confused::confused::rolleyes:

Jaysus, I don't know what brought on those rolly eyes. "I've done this a few times already" means that I've bought three tins of paint before and returned one (and sometimes two) after I didn't need them. I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

robbie99 wrote: »
    Jaysus, I don't know what brought on those rolly eyes. "I've done this a few times already" means that I've bought three tins of paint before and returned one (and sometimes two) after I didn't need them. I wouldn't have thought it was that difficult to follow.
    It's a mix and match. Why didn't you get the colours you needed for your second round of painting when you were buying the first round, instead of bringing back stuff multiple times?

It's a mix and match. Why didn't you get the colours you needed for your second round of painting when you were buying the first round, instead of bringing back stuff multiple times?

It's got nothing to do with any second round of painting. I'll tell you, I wanted to paint my sitting room...

I was only looking for one colour, a basic job. I didn't know how much paint I needed but I guessed a 5L tin would do. When I saw the B&Q 3 for 2 offer, I thought it was better to get three 2.5L tins as it was possible that 5L mightn't be enough. It wasn't going to cost much more than the single 5L tin. Better value with the deal. I used less than two tins in the end so I had an unopened tin for which I had no need. I decided to go back to B&Q to see if I could change it for a different colour - ok, maybe this is a second round of painting but it wasn't planned - to do a feature wall. As it turned out they couldn't simply exchange it for another tin. They had to refund me the money first and then I had go buy the new colour separately. I wasn't happy at the time as I was expecting to get the full cost of the tin back but they were only giving me 67% of the price and I had to make up the difference for the new colour. But that got me thinking that I could have bought three of the 5L tins at the time and returned two unused ones to get even better value. And I did that months later.

paddy147 wrote: »
    Alot of builders providers are actually cheaper on certain paint brands.

Dulux Weathershield being an example.

Been there,done it,and got the t-shirt a few ties over now.

Worth getting them to do price promise on that then...you'll save another 10% on building provider prices!

Worth getting them to do price promise on that then...you'll save another 10% on building provider prices!

BnQ dont stock the Weathershield brilliant white buckets with 20% free.:rolleyes:

I just prefer to deal with builders providers though,as I get alot of stuff on the cheap off them.

16 foot lengths of pressure treated 2 x1 inch wood for 2 euro 85 cents a length.
    6 foot x 6 foot pressure treated trellis frames for 25 euro too.

Im also keeping my money in Ireland too.

But thats just me.

What do you mean keeping your money in Ireland? If I'm not mistaken they are based in Ireland and employ Irish people.

I don't get this towards British retailers...they employ people here,Both directly and indirectly, pay taxes here, export products to the rest of the group....I'd go as far to say as most of them contribute more to the country than indigenous retailers. Look at Tesco and how much they export of Irish product across their stores.

BnQ dont stock the Weathershield brilliant white buckets with 20% free.:rolleyes:

They do sell that...pallets of the stuff in entrance of the store

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

What do you mean keeping your money in Ireland? If I'm not mistaken they are based in Ireland and employ Irish people.

Most of their stock comes in via the UK
    The big B&Q delivery lorries all have UK reg plates
    meaning that like their profits, most of the money they spend on stock is going back to the UK

Main exceptions from what I've seen being paint, cement, and the plastering and plumbing supplies,
    the cement and plasterboard is unusually cheap, compared to local builders merchants

But I remember for what you'd save on the cement, the sand was 4x times the price locally per tonne,
    and for what I saved on plasterboard, the screws would have worked out more than 2x the price
    the timber even more than that which was normally warped beyond use from how and where it was stored

Similar case when I was pricing up doors and 8ft deck boards which were cheaper than anywhere else,
    but all the other essential parts were over twice the price

Plus, not forgetting that the one here in Cork is one the most understaffed shops I've ever seen
    The seem to have the Aldi/Lidl mentality of maxium space/stock with an absolute minimum number staff

An ex of mine worked there for about 3 years, so I wouldn't have a great opinion of the place from her experiences of working there.

Last time I was in there was about a year ago on a saturday night when it was a bit dead,
    one of the lads I became friends with through her showed me the difference between the label price and the order price that was appearing on the handheld scanner

Lights priced at over €100, but with an order price of under €10 each
    An oil filled radiator I'd bought the previous october with a discount voucher for €40, priced at €110 but with an order price of €22
    A bag of screws we tried were priced at close to €5, but had an order price of less than 70 cent a bag

I think the most famous example being the white own brand 200mm insulation they had,
    on the packaging it states it's being subsidized by British Gas and the British government ,
    And it was available on mainland UK for either £1 or £3 and over here they were selling it for €22 a roll
    So I wouldn't be surprised if they were bringing it in at the subsidized price and selling it on at a massive markup

In the long run they'll cost more jobs than they'll ever create by squeezing out any competition

Sorry, my fault for taking it off topic...maybe better off in Irish economy forum :-)

Anyway back on topic...3 for 2 on paint if anyone is looking to do a job this weekend.

• Advertisement

They do sell that...pallets of the stuff in entrance of the store

Not in Airside they dont.Not there last week or this week either.I checked in person and with management too..

Sorry, my fault for taking it off topic...maybe better off in Irish economy forum :-)

Anyway back on topic...3 for 2 on paint if anyone is looking to do a job this weekend.

And anyway,by the time I would get from the builders providers to buy the paint,and then out to BnQ to argue with them over the prices,and then drop the paint back to the builders providers,thats the money saved gone on diesel and not to mention the time wasted.

Since when is BnQ an Irish Irish owned/Irish run company???

Its UK company,and BnQ is actually owned by a much much larger UK company called "Kingfisher",who also own Screw-Fix Direct too.

http://www.kingfisher.com/index.asp

Id rather keep my money and give to a local Irish owned builders providers and support the local economy.Easier for me,cheaper and less hassle too.

Regards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

I just prefer to deal with builders providers though,as I get alot of stuff on the cheap off them.

16 foot lengths of pressure treated 2 x1 inch wood for 2 euro 85 cents a length.
    6 foot x 6 foot pressure treated trellis frames for 25 euro too.

Im also keeping my money in Ireland too.

But thats just me.

How much do you pay for the weathershield at the builders providers?
    The stuff I used last year was about €64 in B&Q (I think) and could be had from a local paint supplier for €40, going by those numbers and the B&Q price promise I could head down there and get three tubs of weathershield for €80, that's a saving of €40 on the best price I could find.
    Surely that's a good deal, especially for a penny wise chap like yourself.

54kroc wrote: »
    The stuff I used last year was about €64 in B&Q (I think) and could be had from a local paint supplier for €40, going by those numbers and the B&Q price promise I could head down there and get three tubs of weathershield for €80, that's a saving of €40 on the best price I could find.

See post 22.:)

See post 22.:)

So you'll take a spin to B&Q up north for some cheap insulation but half an hour of your time and a euro of diesel isn't worth it to save €40?

So you'll take a spin to B&Q up north for some cheap insulation but half an hour of your time and a euro of diesel isn't worth it to save €40?

Eh I never been to BnQ up North.

And you need to read post 22 again,BnQ Airside dont have it and didnt have it when I wanted it.

How many times do I have to keep on saying that??

Eh I never been to BnQ up North.

The UK then, even better.
    And you need to read post 22 again,BnQ Airside dont have it and didnt have it when I wanted it.

How many times do I have to keep on saying that??

I'm on about the deal in general.

The UK then, even better.

I'm on about the deal in general.

And I will tell you yet again.

Ive never been to or bought anything from BnQ in the North or in UK either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tinabelle

Was thinking of going up to bnq in swords at weekend to get dulux exterior paint for outside of our house, fist coat. Is it worth my while...I have €500 of dulux vouchers and wondering where is the best place to purchase. Looking for Magnolia..i tink cos it might be the cheapest. tnx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭AleoN

Not in Airside they dont.Not there last week or this week either.I checked in person and with management too..

Paddy

They had this in B&Q in Airside last week. Still have loads of it today just inside the door !!!
    3 for 2 offer €47.98 per tin plus 10% extra free.

AleoN

Advertisement