Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odeon Point Village & iSense

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Apparently UCI Blanchardstown already has iSense. Mustn't take very much to retrofit so...

http://www.uci.ie/fanatic/isense/?utm_source=uci&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=uci_skyscraper_isense&utm_campaign=uci_skyscraper_isense

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I've split Odeon/iSense discussion off from the old IMAX thread, which you can still find here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056500958

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭Skinfull

I'm trying to save my first Point Cinema trip for the Avengers but that's sooooo far away I may crack! I think its going to need to be a massive movie though, Wrath of Titans might get a look in!

I have the unlimited card with Cineworld so I cant see myself making any real effort to trek out to the point, but if the screen / cinema is impressive enough, regardless of imax-ity or not then it will be an occasional stop!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 maulikdesai1

Hey guys, planning to go for 'Wrath of the Titans' 3D tonight, and really want to see what the feedback for this movie is from the new iSense screen at Odeon, else i might just go with Savoy and its massive screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭Raekwon

icdg wrote: »
    Apparently UCI Blanchardstown already has iSense. Mustn't take very much to retrofit so...

http://www.uci.ie/fanatic/isense/?utm_source=uci&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=uci_skyscraper_isense&utm_campaign=uci_skyscraper_isense

It's more expensive then the cinema at The Point Village for some reason as it costs €15.50 to see Wrath of the Titan's in iSense out in Blanch, so €1 more.

• Advertisement

Just back from my trek out to the point to see Wrath of the Titans on the new isense and I have to say I'm not overly impressed. :(

The screen is huge, and the premier seats are comfy and there is loads of leg room. But about 1/4 of the screen at the bottom was covered by the lower rows and other viewers heads. The vertical degree isn't steep enough, and the seats are too close to the screen so there is no clearance, if you get me. We were seated in about the 4th row of the premier seats, would recommend if you go to sit n the regular seats or at the front row of the premier.
    The sound is really good, and demonstrated well with a video that is way too long. But the room felt small. I kept thinking that Screen17 in cineworld was just so much better than this.

Snacks are expensive, but then that's not new and there is a lack of toilets... though maybe I missed them.

Great presentation, the place is lovely (though quite a bit of a trek after you go in the door!) but it all just felt a little... small. :(

My trek was kind of a dry run to see if it was going to be worth it for the Avengers and I reckon we'll be sticking with Cineworld.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

^^Agree with all of that. Also, I ended up using the wheelchair toilets cos I couldn't find any regular ones...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

I assume you have to park in the Point Underground car park? Is there any concession on the parking?

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭ryoishin

I think the disabled toilets on the top floor are the toilets. When your in at the actual screen itself there is a door on the other side of the room that leads to the toilet also.

I like it but if it had of been full I would nt have been able to see the bottom of the screen.

BowWow wrote: »
    I assume you have to park in the Point Underground car park? Is there any concession on the parking?

I didn't notice any parking area as we took the luas (right to the door of the cinema) but there is a hotel there and maybe you could park in the hotel carpark.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

BowWow wrote: »

Parking is €2.70 per hour. Sign says there's a 'concert rate' or something after 6pm but I don't know if that's a reduced rate or a more expensive one. Either is plausible! Either way, I turned around and drove straight back out. There's LOADS of on-street parking about 4 minutes walk away. €1.60 per hour and free from 7pm.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭G_R

Parking is €2.70 per hour. Sign says there's a 'concert rate' or something after 6pm but I don't know if that's a reduced rate or a more expensive one. Either is plausible! Either way, I turned around and drove straight back out. There's LOADS of on-street parking about 4 minutes walk away. €1.60 per hour and free from 7pm.

When I went up last weekend the cinema validated my parking ticket and it was €5 for 3 hours, so not too bad.

Thought the cinema was pretty impressive myself, saw Wrath of the Titans in 3D iSense, the sound system is amazing, the demo shows it off pretty well. Screen is massive, have no experience in any other large screen formats so have nothing to compare it to really, but I was impressed.

I hope some more tennants fill up the shopping centre, it's kinda like walking through a zombie movie for minute or so it takes to walk through.

Wasn't overly pushed on the film tho, was kinda meh.

Also, actually, there's this pretty cool Mirror Mirror standee in the shopping centre lobby that frightened the shite out of me when I walked under it. Bloody thing talks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭e_e

I don't get this confusion over the toilets. :confused:

They're just on the corridor leading up to Screen 1. Or you can just turn directly right as you walk into the cinema's lobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Dermo

e_e wrote: »
    I don't get this confusion over the toilets. :confused:

They're just on the corridor leading up to Screen 1. Or you can just turn directly right as you walk into the cinema's lobby.

There are 2 doors into the isense screen.

The first is on the same floor as the cinema lobby which have toilets very close to the door.
    The second is on the next floor up where there are some nice couches but only a disabled toilet.

Also, actually, there's this pretty cool Mirror Mirror standee in the shopping centre lobby that frightened the shite out of me when I walked under it. Bloody thing talks!

LOL It got me too! It was for snow white, the tunnel? Yeah when the forest noises came on I leapt and grabbed my friends arm. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭ciaran75

does anyone know the size of the old screen 1 or current screen 9 in blanch?

or size of screen 1 in vue

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't know about Blanch, but as posted earlier, Screen 1/2 in Vue is apparently 195 square metres. iSense is 160.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 fatcatskinnyrat

was there earlier and very impressed-titanic in 3d..looking forward to hobbit and tdkr as im sure i read both are shot in 4k and isense has 4k projectors as opposed to 2k in most imax...
    was at odeon imax printworks in uk last year and its an imax as opposed to digital imax in other locations and i have to admit i think i sense is as good as imax as the sound was far superior and the picture quality was same-
    defo the seating would be an issue in point as regards not been able to see bottom of screen..
    toilets not really an issue as there downstairs beside screen 2-one disabled upstairs beside the lift which is probably a legal thing and another downstairs..
    spoke to manager about monthly ticket or any offer and he recommended the odeon premier club card so i got myself one free film with this so i might keep this for avengers and 25% off on a tuesday..
    seemed to be a leak from the gibson or centre roof when i was there-beside the escalators..bit unpleasant view..
    parking was 5euro for 3 hours which is very reasonable..
    could do with more signage and people in centre though as reminiscent of dawn of the dead

• Registered Users Posts: 31 MrChavcore

i was there today to see titanic in 3D on the isense and i dont know, my expectations were clearly too high because i wasn't overly impressed. perhaps if the cinema wasn't so far off the beaten track and it didn't seem as if you were walking through a deserted city (the ifsc and shopping mall?) then it'd be a bit of a better sell. the screen isn't THAT impressive and it actually cuts off chunks from the sides. the sound is the one redeeming features though and is fantastic. for the 14.50 i spent on the ticket and the 11 that snacks and a drink cost me i just didn't feel like i got value for money.

They are cropping the picture? Seriously?

Has anyone seen a film in 2.35:1 there yet?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,096 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Skinfull wrote: »
    The screen is huge, and the premier seats are comfy and there is loads of leg room. But about 1/4 of the screen at the bottom was covered by the lower rows and other viewers heads.

Not the place for subtitled films then. The Savoy is the same: couldn't read some of the subtitles during The Raid because there was a head directly in front of me.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

was there yesterday evening to see Pirates/Scientists in 3D. Place was very clean, had to go up a few escalators to get to the cine. Maybe word of mouth has to get around but it was scarily empty... like employees : patrons was literally about 1:2. Anyway 3D glasses + 3D film + premier seats was pretty expensive, about €12. Since it was screen 2 it wasn't the biggest; the fancy seats were nice, less stiff, practically same seats.

Anyway only the big blockbusters would be in iSense, I can't recommend going unless you're in screen 1; but honestly location-wise (not as handy as Savoy or Cineworld), price & value isn't great, I don't know if I'll continue going, maybe once/twice more. If people aren't crazy about the screen size (i don't really care about audio) then that's about that!

People working there were lovely though.

Went to the ISENSE cinema in blanch last night to see Battleship and was very impressed (well movie aside)

the sound was incredible, best cinema sound i've heard.

screen was also crystal clear, again best i've seen so far (vue included)

no problems in blanch with seeing bottom of screen either i hear others mention problem in point.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

27 Channels of sound on 54 speakers. As far as I know its about 4 times more than a regular screen.

I really appreciate good sound and it's one of the reasons why I continue to choose the cinema over home viewing. I haven't been to the Odeon yet but does anybody know how many modern digital films actually have 27 separate channels to get the benefit from iSense?

Ant wrote: »
    I really appreciate good sound and it's one of the reasons why I continue to choose the cinema over home viewing. I haven't been to the Odeon yet but does anybody know how many modern digital films actually have 27 separate channels to get the benefit from iSense?

i think they take a regular movie soundtrack and process's soundtrack to 14 - 120 channels.

http://immsound.com/exhibitors

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Ant

ciaran75 wrote: »
    i think they take a regular movie soundtrack and process's soundtrack to 14 - 120 channels.

http://immsound.com/exhibitors

I figured they were probably using some sort of audio post-processing like that. When I last looked into it, digital films were released with 2k video resolution and 5.1 sound (with 7.1 becoming starting to become more common from 2010 on).

It seems we'll be waiting a while before mainstream films are released with native imm soundtracks (24 discrete audio channels) to get the full benefit of the Odeon's iSense.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Quiet

Hey all, thanks for your info.

I regularly go to Vue even tho I live near Clontarf! I can do it in less than half hr drive and do it purely because most of their screens are quite large, there is free parking, they give vouchers for money off next film.

I was really looking forward to Odeon cos it's a lot closer but after reading all your info on screen sizes and prices I'm so disapppointed at the fact that it's not the newest big screen in town which would have had justified the price. In addition the fact of paying for parking has put me right off even tho it's across the way via car journey.

It seems lots of businesses use clever marketing of 'newness' and branded stylistic terms to mislead people into paying more money for something that's of no significant improvement at all.

Pity..... cos it had potential

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭BarackPyjama

The Odeon is a really nice cinema but as an earlier posted said, it doesn't seem particularly busy. I went to see Lockout this evening and there were only about 8 people there. There were 4 customers, including myself, in the foyer when I arrived and about 7 staff - all about 5 minutes before multiple 17:15 screenings. Hopefully they stay open.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Can't see how it would; without shops in the rest of the complex it's a bit of a white elephant really & when I was there, pretty lacking in footfall. That area's a bit of a graveyard to begin with (Point Depot notwithstanding) and given the walk-in traffic places like The Savoy, Screen & Cineworld get purely on location, it's must too out of the way for city-centre custom. It'd be a shame if it did close, but the Lighthouse didn't fare any better...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

One thing I can't understand is that all the evening showings of the Avengers there are in 3D. Now, I'd imagine that the older you are, the less likely you are in the 3D version of a movie, and the later you would go to a showing. I was going to try it out, but really am not impressed by current 3D technology and prefer a 2D one.

P.

Advertisement