Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclists on South Ring (suicide maniacs)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,114 ✭✭✭corkcomp

half the roads in the country don't have hard shoulders, in fact most secondary ones don't. Like it or not, cycling in this country is not very safe but people still do it and they are entitled to and to be fair the news isn't full of people being injured / killed on push bikes (thankfully). Oh and there isnt really any need to be able to see a cyclist 1Km away if your stuck in a traffic tailback, I think you know thats not what I meant.:rolleyes:

OP, please have a read of the following website:

www.rotr.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Rules of the Road aside, I'd personally think twice before taking a bicycle down the the south link during rush hour. Or many other busy Irish roads. Doesn't matter whose fault it is when you're mashed inbetween a truck and a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Aka Ishur

First of all the Ballincollig BP is the N22 and is not part of the N25 which finishes at the Bandon roundabout.

Secondly, if you would care to re-read my post, I did not say it was too fast for cyclists, I said it was too fast for the traffic it gets. The on and off ramps do not allow for any kind of tailback, and I consistantly see drivers going too fast approaching the kinsale roundabout.

You wont see restrictions on cyclists in a day and age, where it is policy to promote cycling wherever possible. I do hope that the cyclist restrictions are enforced if and when it becomes a full motorway. The old curraheen road is a great route for cyclists going out that way.

I cant ever envisage a situation where the road from Sarsfield roundabout to JL tunel would become a motorway TBH but i may be proven wrong:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭yllw.ldbttr

Aka Ishur wrote: »
    I do hope that the cyclist restrictions are enforced if and when it becomes a full motorway.

Wishful thinking I'd say unfortuantely.
    I drive the M8 twice a day, and at least twice a week I see cyclists on the motorway between the Dunkettle Interchange and Watergrasshill, particularly between Watergrashill and Glanmire.

They simply do not care that they are a danger to themselves and other motorists. I've reported them to the Gardai in Glanmire a couple of times, obviously nothing was done about it as it is not enforced. It will continue until someone is seriously injured or killed unfortunately.
    To prove my point I've seen cyclists cycle past Gardai while doing a speed trap on the motorway... not a care in the world.

On the same note, the law is an ass when it comes to tractors, as I regularly see tractors on this section of motorway. Given the availability of the old road between Watergrasshill and Glanmire the tractors have zero need to use the motorway however they insist in doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

RoverJames wrote: »
    They are neither on a suicide mission or retarded, perhaps you should familiarise yourself with the rules of the road etc before asking are people retarded.

At a guess I would think you don't cycle or drive so really have next to no clue about the issue.
    OP, please have a read of the following website:

www.rotr.ie

If Rules of the road will say: dog is cat and cat is dog, you will probably think the same right? To be honest with you I don't care what Rules of the road in this country say. This is one of the things in this country which is completely wrong.

for example this... Did somebody really thought this will work? Absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

j&r_junctions_turning-right-at-crossroads-back.jpg

btw. the more you add, the more we laugh (I mentioned this thread somewhere else and people are grateful for the amount of fun they have :))

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Diabhalta wrote: »

100 kmh is the limit, but reality is: slow lane 80-100, fast lane 100-130. I use South Ring for almost four years now (every day) and believe me I know what I'm talking about. Other thing is distance between cars - sometimes it looks more like a looong train than cars on the road.

QUOTE=Diabhalta;77859613]To be honest with you I don't care what Rules of the road in this country say. This is one of the things in this country which is completely wrong.
    [/QUOTE]

My first reaction was
    facepalm.jpg

Then I took a deep breath and thought about it and felt...

facepalm1.jpg

Did somebody really thought this will work? Absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

:))

TO be fair, this make perfect sense. To cut across each other tends to put drivers on the wrong side of the road, cutting the corner.
    It also prevents you cutting across a car while the car behind them tries to go around on the inside and hits you head on.

There has to be a rule, otherwise one person tries to cut in front of the other while the second person tries to go behind, leads to a collision.

Both cars crossing behind the other makes perfect sense.

btw. the more you add, the more we laugh (I mentioned this thread somewhere else and people are grateful for the amount of fun they have :))

If they're anything like you it wouldn't take much to amuse them me think ;)

• Advertisement

for example this... Did somebody really thought this will work? Absolutely ridiculous and stupid.

maybe im missing something, what is wrong with that pic? It makes perfect sense to me.

RobFowl wrote: »
    QUOTE=Diabhalta;77859613]To be honest with you I don't care what Rules of the road in this country say. This is one of the things in this country which is completely wrong.

Ha I didn't even see the ''in reality'' bit. Funny stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I always find threads like this funny, esp on a Friday, I'm waiting for the 'why can't I smoke in maternity wards' thread.

OP if anything your posts are a justification to lower the speed limit for cars and trucks as it sounds like drivers are going to fast to react to other road users...
    Tbh if your find this statement and the other posts fundamentally wrong then I really don’t think you are understanding what a road is and how society and civilisation works.

I'm done here, to the cave Batman, awesome!!!

TO be fair, this make perfect sense. To cut across each other tends to put drivers on the wrong side of the road, cutting the corner.
    It also prevents you cutting across a car while the car behind them tries to go around on the inside and hits you head on.

There has to be a rule, otherwise one person tries to cut in front of the other while the second person tries to go behind, leads to a collision.

Both cars crossing behind the other makes perfect sense.

It makes no sense whatsoever. No wonder I never ever saw anybody turning like that (probably because it is BS?)
    Ha I didn't even see the ''in reality'' bit. Funny stuff.

Tell me one thing: What distance you travelled in which countries abroad. I'm waiting for that long list.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

Wow, this is absolutely amazing.

So why there are cars beeping from time to time? Probably there is something wrong when everyone is going 80-100 kmh and there is a cyclist who is going 10kmh along the barrier trying to kill himself.

This has absolutely nothing to do with rules of the road, this is a matter of logical thinking. You CANNOT ride your bike on South Ring, because you can get killed and saying: "drivers should be careful" isn't an argument. Try to tell this to a lorry driver who is trying to squeeze himself between the cyclist and the cars in the fast lane.

Can you explain how you know that the cyclist is doing exactly 10kmh. Most cyclist would be doing double this or more. Also squeezing between a car in the overtaking lane and a cyclist on the left is highly dangerous as if there is a wind the cyclist could be blown into your path.:eek: Driving too close to a cyclist is irresponsible driving and if you can't understand this I would advise you to get a few lessons from a driving instructor to improve your knowledge of the rules of the road and also how to be courteous to other road user including cyclists.;)

From http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/road-position.html You can see that you should give extra space overtaking a cyclist. (Near the bottom of the page)

gdp_road-position_02.jpg

It makes no sense whatsoever. No wonder I never ever saw anybody turning like that (probably because it is BS?)

It makes perfect sense to me, I've been driving for over 15 years.
    It's the law.
    I make this exact turn in heavy traffic every single day.
    It makes perfect sense to most of the other posters on this thread.
    I've outlined the reasons why it makes sense to me - which you've chosen to ignore - please at least state your logic as to why it makes no sense.

IMO you're delusional.
    I'm out.

d_max wrote: »
    Can you explain how you know that the cyclist is doing exactly 10kmh. Most cyclist would be doing double this or more. Also squeezing between a car in the overtaking lane and a cyclist on the left is highly dangerous as if there is a wind the cyclist could be blown into your path.:eek: Driving too close to a cyclist is irresponsible driving and if you can't understand this I would advise you to get a few lessons from a driving instructor to improve your knowledge of the rules of the road and also how to be courteous to other road user including cyclists.;)

From http://www.rotr.ie/rules-for-driving/good-driving-practice/road-position.html You can see that you should give extra space overtaking a cyclist. (Near the bottom of the page)

gdp_road-position_02.jpg

You know what, I will have to get a camera, put it in my car and show you how cars are squeezing themselves between cars in fast lane and cyclist. Stop reading rules of the road and open your eyes to see the f-ing REALITY !!!

I understand everything you say, but I don't understand how in the f are cyclists allowed to use their bikes here:

You have very small chance to pass the cyclist safely here. Almost impossible. That is why cyclists should be banned from South Ring.

dbh7q8.jpg

It makes perfect sense to me, I've been driving for over 15 years.
    It's the law.
    I make this exact turn in heavy traffic every single day.
    It makes perfect sense to most of the other posters on this thread.
    I've outlined the reasons why it makes sense to me - which you've chosen to ignore - please at least state your logic as to why it makes no sense.

IMO you're delusional.
    I'm out.

Then I have never ever met you on the road or people similar to you. I drive in Cork for almost four years (every day) and never ever saw anybody turning like this. NEVER.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,017 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've never given much thought to how I approach that sort of turn. Maybe it's because I learned in the UK.

From the Highway Code:

When turning right at crossroads where an oncoming vehicle is also turning right, there is a choice of two methods
    • turn right side to right side; keep the other vehicle on your right and turn behind it. This is generally the safer method as you have a clear view of any approaching traffic when completing your turn
    • left side to left side, turning in front of each other. This can block your view of oncoming vehicles, so take extra care. Cyclists and motorcyclists in particular may be hidden from your view. Road layout, markings or how the other vehicle is positioned can determine which course should be taken
    dg_070538.jpg

Anyway, if there is a probability that slow moving traffic may be present on a road because that traffic has a right to be there, you should adopt a speed that takes this into account regardless of the speed limit.

I agree that cyclists should cycle in such a way as to minimize the impact of other people's idiocy, but this doesn't shift the basic idiocy from it's source.

Suicide is self-inflicted. The other thing is called homicide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Ah easy now, the reason should be obvious to such an experienced and safety minded road user like yourself.
    Have a think about the two different ways.

Think of a practical reason (hint pretend there are more road users than you and the annoying car which is in your way)

Well

Get it yet?

That’s right! if you cross with the car blocking your sight you could crash because you cant see what’s coming down the road AND they can not see you. if you cross with the car in front an oncoming car will not see you, only a car turning right, if they pass on the inside they will hit you head on.

It is the way I and most people use the road and I have been on the road for many years accident free, in cars, vans, bikes even tractors with trailers, campervans and small buses.........

But you knew the answer all the time.

Then I have never ever met you on the road or people similar to you. I drive in Cork for almost four years (every day) and never ever saw anybody turning like this. NEVER.

Wow, that's me told.
    Thanks for providing your logic.

<sarcasm>A clear, well reasoned solidly thought out argument. </sarcasm>
    Added the tags in case you mis-interpreted, which I fear you may be prone to doing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I only did it this week. Makes perfect sense, both cars are turning right, passing infront means you can't see if anything is coming up behind the other car, so you pass at the back. Lots of people do it, says more about you than it does about it being BS' . And I've been driving a hell of a lot longer than 4 years. 4 years is nothing in terms of driving experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Dietmar Hamann

You know what, I will have to get a camera, put it in my car and show you how cars are squeezing themselves between cars in fast lane and cyclist. Stop reading rules of the road and open your eyes to see the f-ing REALITY !!!

I understand everything you say, but I don't understand how in the f are cyclists allowed to use their bikes here:

You have very small chance to pass the cyclist safely here. Almost impossible. That is why cyclists should be banned from South Ring.

When you take the video of people passing cyclist dangerously I would advise you to take it to the Gardaí as they could alert these motorist to the dangers they are causing on the road.

To answer you question about cyclist being allowed cycle on that road. The reason they can cycle on that road is it is NOT an motorway it's a National Primary Route.

I propose you start cycling on that road to see what cyclist go through on a daily basis while commuting or cycling before blaming cyclists. Everyday I commute to college I end up nearly getting taken off the bike by a stupid driver pulling over to the left without using their mirrors or going into a filter lane without indicating first and then they blame the cyclist!! Its the motorists fault 90% of the time.

Also stop calling it the fast lane its an overtaking lane. i.e you still have to adhere to the speed limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

First of all the Ballincollig BP is the N22 and is not part of the N25 which finishes at the Bandon roundabout.

Secondly, if you would care to re-read my post, I did not say it was too fast for cyclists, I said it was too fast for the traffic it gets. The on and off ramps do not allow for any kind of tailback, and I consistantly see drivers going too fast approaching the kinsale roundabout.

You wont see restrictions on cyclists in a day and age, where it is policy to promote cycling wherever possible. I do hope that the cyclist restrictions are enforced if and when it becomes a full motorway. The old curraheen road is a great route for cyclists going out that way.

The N25 continues onto the Ballincollig BP and becomes the N22 past the main Ballincollig exit afair. Have you ever been on the Ballincollig BP as i'm struggling to think how you haven't noticed this?

Secondly, on a road built to motorway specification, a 120 km/hr speed limit is appropriate. You appear not to have noted that the speed limit drops to 100 km/hr a km or so prior to approaching the Bandon rd R/A.

As for your criticisms of junction design and the traffic the BP gets, they don't really make sense. Have you any experience of driving on Ring Roads in any other urban area's? If yes then you'll note roads busier then the Ballincollig BP have the same 120 km/hr limit.

The N25 continues onto the Ballincollig BP and becomes the N22 past the main Ballincollig exit afair. Have you ever been on the Ballincollig BP as i'm struggling to think how you haven't noticed this?

I drive it quite a lot thank you, I know the N25 sign-age ends at the curaheen flyover. I also know that any map, city plan, and county dev report I've ever looked at has always had the N25 finish at the Bandon Roundabout. Its never been part of the N25 (Or N40)
    Secondly, on a road built to motorway specification, a 120 km/hr speed limit is appropriate. You appear not to have noted that the speed limit drops to 100 km/hr a km or so prior to approaching the Bandon rd R/A.

Of course I noted the drop in speed limit. Again it happens at the curaheen exit. Unfortunately other drivers dont seem to note it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Does the guy with 2 kiddies in a little trailer still cycle on the South Ring, now thats what I call irresponsable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭invinciblePRSTV

I drive it quite a lot thank you, I know the N25 sign-age ends at the curaheen flyover. I also know that any map, city plan, and county dev report I've ever looked at has always had the N25 finish at the Bandon Roundabout. Its never been part of the N25 (Or N40)

Yup i hate to labour the point but you're still incorrect, You must not be reading those documents correctly. I suggest you google ballincollig bypass n22/n25 and check out the scheme's brochure, or consult the NRA website, or the Cork rdo website.

I accept your apologies in advance : ).

Yup i hate to labour the point but you're still incorrect, You must not be reading those documents correctly. I suggest you google ballincollig bypass n22/n25 and check out the scheme's brochure, or consult the NRA website, or the Cork rdo website.

I accept your apologies in advance : ).

Don't hold your breath because this is the description of the Ballincollig bypass by the NRA. (Notice how they specifically mention the N25 ending at the Bandon roundabout.)
    NRA wrote:
    N22 Ballincollig Bypass - National Roads Authority

Local Authority: Cork County Council
    Start County: Cork
    End County: Cork
    Description: This project involved the construction of 11.7 km of wide median dual carriageway from the N22 at Barnagore (Ovens, to the west) to the N25/N71 Bandon Road Roundabout at Ardrostig (Bishopstown, to the east). This bypass is an extension of the N25 Southern Ring Road. The scheme was opened in two phases:- Phase 1 comprised the 8 km section from (and including) the Poulavone Link road to the point where it meets the existing N22 near Ovens, opened September 2004. Phase 2 comprised the 3.5 km section from the Poulavone Link Road eastward to the Bandon Road Roundabout on the Cork Southern Ring Road, opened December 2004.

This project has been funded by the Irish Government under the National Development Plan and Transport 21 and by the European Union from the European Regional

(source:http://www.nra.ie/RoadSchemeActivity/CorkCountyCouncil/N22BallincolligBypass/SchemeName,16543,en.html

Janey a quick look at google maps will show the N22 starting at the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Janey a quick look at google maps will show the N22 starting at the roundabout.

Google maps is possibly wrong (as usual). Use street view and look at the signage along the road. The N25 appears to end at the Curraheen flyover after the Bandon Road roundabout as you said yourself earlier. Although the info you posted above does indicate it starts at the roundabout.
    Anyway...who the hell cares :)

Ludo wrote: »
    Google maps is possibly wrong (as usual). Use street view and look at the signage along the road. The N25 appears to end at the Curraheen flyover after the Bandon Road roundabout as you said yourself earlier. Although the info you posted above does indicate it starts at the roundabout.
    Anyway...who the hell cares :)

Hehe too true talk about nitpicking by both of us. I'm off to wine and dine! Enjoy your friday everyone! (thats an order!)

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    I only did it this week. Makes perfect sense, both cars are turning right, passing infront means you can't see if anything is coming up behind the other car, so you pass at the back. Lots of people do it, says more about you than it does about it being BS' . And I've been driving a hell of a lot longer than 4 years. 4 years is nothing in terms of driving experience.

Well... definitely when you spend them on one island... looool :D

I'm driving for four years in this country so add antoher 6 years to them (occasionally some of that time spent in Germany, Austria, Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia, Hungary, Slovenia, Croatia, Italy, France and Spain). And yes, drivers in this country are the worst from all countries mentioned above (Croatia is rough too - they are not driving bad there, but they are simply pigs).

Anyway... cycling on South Ring or South City Link Road is insane and no matter how the drivers behave, it will be always dangerous to cycle there... This is my opinion and this will never change. Period... now excuse me, my life is waiting for me and wants me to enjoy it.

Advertisement