Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

French Charm? - French Bulldogs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

crazyFeet wrote: »
    in the passport it says
    date of birth: 26.12.2011 (its his birthday today!!!)
    the seller told me they had to write a month older in order to put him to quarantine when bringing over here, i have my doubts about that too now, as his teeth are growing like mad now and hurt a lot when he bits hard when playing, he chewed his bone all day, this makes me think now that he actually is 4 months as this is the age when they teeth, but is that bad? is it late getting a pup at that age?

Honestly? The whole thing sounds well dodgy if you ask me. God knows where that pup came from. Are you sure it came from Lithuania?? Is the passport actually stamped? Have you got the Kennel Club registration papers of the pup?

The whole thing sounds well suss and i would be very wary of this but i expect nothing less from donedeal anyway:mad:

There are no quarantine laws now here anymore so it all sounds like a pack of lies to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SaleAgreed

in the passport it says
    date of birth: 26.12.2011 (its his birthday today!!!)
    the seller told me they had to write a month older in order to put him to quarantine when bringing over here, i have my doubts about that too now, as his teeth are growing like mad now and hurt a lot when he bits hard when playing, he chewed his bone all day, this makes me think now that he actually is 4 months as this is the age when they teeth, but is that bad? is it late getting a pup at that age?

have any of his teeth fallen out or are they all new? Pig's teeth didnt fall out until he was 4 or 5 months old. If you have a pic of him put it up and i'll put up one of pig at 3 months and you can compare.

Either way, you have him now, its horrible to think they lied to you but what can you do

SaleAgreed wrote: »
    have any of his teeth fallen out or are they all new? Pig's teeth didnt fall out until he was 4 or 5 months old. If you have a pic of him put it up and i'll put up one of pig at 3 months and you can compare.

Either way, you have him now, its horrible to think they lied to you but what can you do

Theres a video of him on this thread, i even said in one of my replies that the pup didnt look 3 months old...

andreac wrote: »
    Theres a video of him on this thread, i even said in one of my replies that the pup didnt look 3 months old...

Its hard to tell by that vid, but he does look fairly big -Here's pig at 3 and a half months, all head and ears

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭crazyFeet

http://s1257.photobucket.com/albums/ii509/crazyfeet89/?action=view&current=VID_20120424_203202.mp4#!oZZ1QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs1257.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fii509%2Fcrazyfeet89%2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DVID_20120425_094404.mp4

there are a few pics and couple vids, don't think you can see it there but i will take some more images of him later today and upload to photobucket album

the passport is legit and there are stamps in it, i took pics, will i put them up here or pm instead?

thank you all who has interest in this, it is important to me getting this input from everyone, it will benefit the puppy and me

• Advertisement

Have you got the kennel clubs registration papers? You need these to transfer the ownership into your own name.

He is super cute, his ears really should be standing upright at this stage but this may be down to teething, are his ears red/ dry skin at all? Did you get to see his mum and/or dad? or any of the other pups? unless you plan to show him, the papers make no difference, did you get a generation cert of the breeder?

He looks like a happy little guy anyway :)

Ok, i gave the munching bone and took a few shots, not sure if you can see much from them as it was quite tricky, his posing skills are still in development :) I will try however take some more when i get my friend to assist me by holding him right.

I spoke to the guy that sold me Coop, and he says there are no kennel papers (yeas were right), he said dog only has a passport (which I have here) and I can put my name down there myself if i want to, its only customs that check them when you travel, and it is vet stamps that they always check. I've called him twice since I got the dog and he seems quite ok with talking and discussing the dog, I do believe he is not dodgy, otherwise he wouldn't answer my call or just tell me to go and figure out myself (usual case)?

please check for the teeth pics on photobucket (link above)

Ok, i gave the munching bone and took a few shots, not sure if you can see much from them as it was quite tricky, his posing skills are still in development :) I will try however take some more when i get my friend to assist me by holding him right.

I spoke to the guy that sold me Coop, and he says there are no kennel papers (yeas were right), he said dog only has a passport (which I have here) and I can put my name down there myself if i want to, its only customs that check them when you travel, and it is vet stamps that they always check. I've called him twice since I got the dog and he seems quite ok with talking and discussing the dog, I do believe he is not dodgy, otherwise he wouldn't answer my call or just tell me to go and figure out myself (usual case)?

please check for the teeth pics on photobucket (link above)

To be honest i would not believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Was the pup advertised as being registered?? If so then he has lied to you. The pet passport counts for nothing really as anyone can get the passport for their dog. It indicates nothing other than the dog was microchipped and applied for by the vet.
    Why wasnt the dog registered?? I would be querying this, its very strange. The whole thing sounds dodgy and i would be questioning what vaccinations etc the pup has had already as i dont believe what this breeder is telling you is legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭dudmis

he is seriously cute ;-)

• Advertisement

To be honest i would not believe a word that comes out of his mouth. Was the pup advertised as being registered?? If so then he has lied to you. The pet passport counts for nothing really as anyone can get the passport for their dog. It indicates nothing other than the dog was microchipped and applied for by the vet.
    Why wasnt the dog registered?? I would be querying this, its very strange. The whole thing sounds dodgy and i would be questioning what vaccinations etc the pup has had already as i dont believe what this breeder is telling you is legit.

When i was buying him it only said he has chip, vaccines and eu passport, so i presumed he was from a kennel, I appologise it was my mistake.

I had a look at his ears, they are not dry or flaky, quite moist and silky, that's good right? My neighbor also told me his left ear is gone up a bit since yesterday, I thought it was only me thinking that this morning.

Its just very dodgy that someone would go to the trouble of importing a dog and not having it registered, it doesnt make sense if you ask me. Why would you pay money for that? :confused:

I really wouldnt believe that the pup has been imported at all, it just doesnt add up.

Its just very dodgy that someone would go to the trouble of importing a dog and not having it registered, it doesnt make sense if you ask me. Why would you pay money for that? :confused:

I really wouldnt believe that the pup has been imported at all, it just doesnt add up.

i have picture of the passport, the stamps and stuff, will i post them here or private?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

He is super cute! But I agree with andreac, circumstances sound v dodgy. Im not one into scare mongering or anything but to me it sounds like a cover story. To a kennels, the pup wouldnt be worth importing without papers as he couldnt be shown or bred from so I find it hard to believe he was surplus to a kennels breeding plan. Are you 100% hes pure bred? Did you see the parents? Not just pics, actually seen them in person? If not it just screams puppy farm to me. They often place pups in family homes when the perspective buyers come, with stories like the mothers abandoning them or being the last pup left. Maybe having being imported is a new angle... Now I could be completely and utterly wrong and if so ill eat my words but I would tread carefully with him health wise and without a doubt get insurance. Best of luck to you and lil cooper, hes aw cute as a button!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

i have picture of the passport, the stamps and stuff, will i post them here or private?

There is no need to post pictures of the passport, I'd be pretty sure that this fella has brought in a litter of non-reg Frenchies he got on the cheap for purposes of breeding them for profit. I'd guess we will see a load of ill-bred, non-reg Frenchies for sale as soon as these two come into heat, if they survive the complications of the birth that is.

*sigh*

Theres no need to post them, they mean nothing really. Is the pup microchipped even?
    I dont believe that pup was imported at all. Can you get details of this so called breeder in Lithuania and ask to contact them?
    I would almost guarantee if you start putting pressure on this guy he will start to get agitated and refuse to deal with you.

Why would he go to the trouble of importing a pup, knowing it was related to the sisters when he wasnt going to breed from it?? Also why would he pay to import and get no papers for this pup, it wouldnt pay him to do that as it costs a fortune to get pups across europe so i dont believe for a second this puppy was imported.

From what I can see they look like baby teeth still, if hes mad to chew they will be falling out soon, by 6 months he should have few new ones. As long as he not at his ears with his paws or rubbing them of the carpet or walls, they should be grand, just keep them clean :)

I dont mean to take any good out of this for you, but he dosnt appear full bred, I think there is a bit of boston Terrier in there, the way his whole back is pretty much black is a bit of giveaway,the appearance of the head, and also his floppy ears.

But putting all that aside, you have him now, so enjoy puppyhood and watching him grow up, he really is so adorable :)

Sale agreed, i actually thought the very same about the Boston Terrier, his head looks very like a Boston to me but i wasnt sure whether to say it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Yeah his colouring is definitely Boston and his cute wee face doesnt seem as squishy as a Frenchie. It wont take away from him being an absolutely fantastic little pet and companion but also may help other people learn from your experience and help people steer clear of unscrupulous breeders in this for money and not giving a damn about healthy pups who are excellent examples of the breed. Ps. If you need a babysitter, look no further :P

Either way, what's done is done. Cooper has a loving home now. I know how hard it is when you just want a lil puppy so bad, its so hard to walk away from their cute little faces.

• Advertisement

Theres no need to post them, they mean nothing really. Is the pup microchipped even?
    I dont believe that pup was imported at all. Can you get details of this so called breeder in Lithuania and ask to contact them?
    I would almost guarantee if you start putting pressure on this guy he will start to get agitated and refuse to deal with you.

Why would he go to the trouble of importing a pup, knowing it was related to the sisters when he wasnt going to breed from it?? Also why would he pay to import and get no papers for this pup, it wouldnt pay him to do that as it costs a fortune to get pups across europe so i dont believe for a second this puppy was imported.

I was born in Lithuania myself and read the passport, the stamps and vaccines are legit as I got a few people to look at it. I was suspicious about his purity too, did suspect that there was a bit of a mix, as the coat pattern truly is unusual. What happened is, I came to the conclusion, is that he was bought from a different place (whatever is was) then the other two bitches that the guy bought for breeding, and now he probably realized its not pure so decided to get rid of him, makes sense to cover some costs?

All in all, I am aware this breed is health problematic, but wherever he came from he is not going back there, pure bread or not. I will try and come up with a decision (any input appreciated) on whether to insure him or get one of them programs if it exists in Ireland.

p.s very sorry to hear about that Labrador, I hope them friends of yours are can gather a few quid or find some way out to get the dog up and running

No question, insure him. Those programmes do not exist here. You will regret it if you dont insure him. I have my rotties insured and my female ruptured her cruciate last nov and the op would have cost nearly 2000 but she was insured so only cost me the excess of 90 euros.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Off-topic posts deleted.

CruiseH - Every single post you have made on this site is pushing a discount program which does not exist in this country. Please familiarise yourself with the site rules in relation to spam and the forum charter in relation to pushing a personal agenda.

Anyone buying a Frenchie knows or should know that they are incredibly high maintenance, and very sensitive little things from allergies to heatstroke. 90% of the time they are perfectly fine if bred properly but you will always get the one who ended up with all the bad luck. Getting through puppyhood with them is the hardest part crazyfeet, but also one of the most rewarding, as with alldogs really. Frenchies are very stubborn and will try to get away with murder, so set the rules early on and stick to them, despite the big brown eyes!

They do think they are human, and will want to do everything you do. My guy thinks he pays the mortgage, he's only short of having dinner at the table with us.

Once they get into the habit of something its very hard to change their minds. they also thrive on routine, so knowing when its dinner time and bed time etc will keep the anxiety levels down as they know what to expect. Frenchies really are little worry worts, not in the whiney sence but they are very nosey and like to be apart of everything you do, which is what is so loveable about them :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Either way, what's done is done. Cooper has a loving home now. I know how hard it is when you just want a lil puppy so bad, its so hard to walk away from their cute little faces.

+ 1.

Cooper is an adorable little guy , I really don't know enough about the breed to comment on his ' purity ' or parentage but he sounds to be in a good home and I guess that is really the important thing.

I can't wait to see what he will be like when he grows up, but for now just enjoy the puppy-hood. I was looking at frenchie pics and there is one pure Celtic breed, with the same color pattern as Coop! http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3231960522339&set=t.1379375690&type=3&theater
    so they do come with such pattern, not just Boston t's

Yea never stick the nose in the mess. If he toilets in the house, say nothing and clean it up, he will catch on that going outside ends in cuddles and going in the house dosn't. If you catch him in the act in the house just say nothing and pick him up and bring him out, even if he is finished or finishes on the way out to the door...

That food or anything that you can buy in the supermarket, is basically the eqivalent of feeding a child McDonalds everyday, Ive tried pretty much most of the big name brands to no avail, not that there is anything wrong with them, they just didnt suit my lil guy. I'm not sure if I can name the brand I use or where I get it on here? but it's very good stuff, with quality ingredients and at a reasonable price compared to the heavily marketed brands.

I love the photo on the other thread, he's gorgeous.

Yea never stick the nose in the mess. If he toilets in the house, say nothing and clean it up, he will catch on that going outside ends in cuddles and going in the house dosn't. If you catch him in the act in the house just say nothing and pick him up and bring him out, even if he is finished or finishes on the way out to the door...

That food or anything that you can buy in the supermarket, is basically the eqivalent of feeding a child McDonalds everyday, Ive tried pretty much most of the big name brands to no avail, not that there is anything wrong with them, they just didnt suit my lil guy. I'm not sure if I can name the brand I use or where I get it on here? but it's very good stuff, with quality ingredients and at a reasonable price compared to the heavily marketed brands.

I love the photo on the other thread, he's gorgeous.

Thank you for sharing this information with me, as freshly baked dog owner I've been completely blinded with high rolling brand names thinking that is the stuff.

As always I have questions again, I did read that they eat chicken and turley PARTS (90% of their diet is protein), but which exactly? is it ok to give them the skin (boiled?) So bar i've been giving him pieces of boiled chicken, he absolutely explodes with joy when gets it, please let me know what else is good for them to eat, what not, I do try to read all about it but it is fairly hard to absorb and process all the blog information sometimes. Kind regards, Anton

I'm not bashing the big brand dog foods, they just simply didn't agree with my lad, he's incredibly high maintenance lol. I've pm'd you the food I use, nothing wrong with a bit plain chicken as a treat! But be careful of too much protein while he is growing as everything needs to grow at the same pace, so if his diet is jam packed with protein his muscles will grow to fast and his skeleton won't keep up, leading to joint issues etc. a good balanced diet with the odd treat and you'll be laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 onegrandplan

Someone selling a pedigree dog for 1/3+ the price they go for through reputable breeders would raise significant alarms with me. I'm not sure about the purity of the dog you got, but at least it's healthy and vet checked and is in a loving home now. Looks like a great pup and I'm sure you'll have a great life together.

I just wouldn't recommend people go the cheap route when buying dogs that cost a bomb for very particular reasons.

Advertisement