Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help in a sticky situation.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,743 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Chimaera wrote: »
    So the UK don't require both current and future owners to sign off on the documents for change of ownership? Wow! Wide open for fraud and theft there. All you need to do is get the V5 and you can claim ownership of the car? You'll forgive me if I think this sounds like bull :)

You are wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

check the dvla website, that is the procedure. all they want is to be able to flag the car as exported. what happens to it abroad is not their concern

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

Chimaera wrote: »
    So the UK don't require both current and future owners to sign off on the documents for change of ownership? Wow! Wide open for fraud and theft there. All you need to do is get the V5 and you can claim ownership of the car? You'll forgive me if I think this sounds like bull :)
    no

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

You keep talking about paperwork Cinio. Who OWNS the car, and can prove they own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

corktina wrote: »
    €400 VRT? If it's an old banger, my info is that VRT is a minimum of €720

The €720 rate is the minimum for the top Co2 band. Each have their own min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

AltAccount wrote: »
    You keep talking about paperwork Cinio. Who OWNS the car, and can prove they own it?

The current owner owns the car.
    If I go to you and buy a camera off you, then ownership of camera goes from you to me. Then if I give this camera to my father, then he owns it.
    Exactly the same with cars. If OP GF father bought this car means he owned it. If he gave it to his daughter then, means she owns it.
    Paperwork is really irrelevant here when it comes to ownership.
    Of course it's wise to have paperwork all in order even to be able to prove ownership, in case any of the previous owners claims car was stolen of him/her.
    But OP saying they have V5C is actually a quite good proof they own the car.

Also it would be very wise to write a receipt or contract of sale for each transaction, but even without it, there should be no doubt about ownership.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

€400 VRT? If it's an old banger, my info is that VRT is a minimum of €720
    Wrong. If there is a valid CO2 figure for the car, then the VRT rate will be based on this. The minimum amount of VRT payable will be this percentage of the calculated OMSP.

Your misconception is based on a car with no CO2 figure, in which case the VRT rate will be 36%. On a car with the minimum OMSP of €2000, the VRT would then be €720.

Not your ornery onager

Esel wrote: »
    Wrong. If there is a valid CO2 figure for the car, then the VRT rate will be based on this. The minimum amount of VRT payable will be this percentage of the calculated OMSP.

Your misconception is based on a car with no CO2 figure, in which case the VRT rate will be 36%. On a car with the minimum OMSP of €2000, the VRT would then be €720.

someone already siad that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

CiniO wrote: »
    The current owner owns the car.
    If I go to you and buy a camera off you, then ownership of camera goes from you to me. Then if I give this camera to my father, then he owns it.
    Exactly the same with cars. If OP GF father bought this car means he owned it. If he gave it to his daughter then, means she owns it.
    Paperwork is really irrelevant here when it comes to ownership.
    Of course it's wise to have paperwork all in order even to be able to prove ownership, in case any of the previous owners claims car was stolen of him/her.
    But OP saying they have V5C is actually a quite good proof they own the car.

Also it would be very wise to write a receipt or contract of sale for each transaction, but even without it, there should be no doubt about ownership.

OP is right about being the owner of the car, but, the important fact is who is the registered keeper of the car.

For my part, If the OP can give the exact year make, model and condition of the car I could advise on what to do. I have a feeling that the car will be valued at less than 2000 Euro. If that is the case the best solution is to contact the DVLA(NI) and get the car registered into your name. Then sell the car as an NI registered car (possibly sell it on gumtree to someone up north).

they wont do it unless you reside there. Why would they? the car isnt there anymore and in all probability (if she followed the procedure) the Omagh Woman has told them it has gone abroad

• Advertisement

they wont do it unless you reside there. Why would they? the car isnt there anymore and in all probability (if she followed the procedure) the Omagh Woman has told them it has gone abroad
    If her name is still on the V5 then she hasn't. It was declared SORN so as far as the authorities are aware the car is sitting in a garage in Omagh.

Because it was declared SORN i would be 99% sure that it wasn't declared as out of the country.

IF they refuse to make you the registered keeper because you live south of the border, your best bet would be to sell the car as is north of the border. Explain to the buyer that you bought the car but the VRT was too dear.

how would the name change? magic?

how would the name change? magic?
    The name didn't change. Its still in the same name.

sorry but how does that show she hasnt follwed the correct procedure and told the NI authorities that its been exported\?

declaring it sorn dosnt prevent her selling it and it being exported.

why are people still trying to create problems where they dont exist

sorry but how does that show she hasnt follwed the correct procedure and told the NI authorities that its been exported\?

declaring it sorn dosnt prevent her selling it and it being exported.
    Unless I've missed something -

The car could not be registered as exported because Omagh woman is still the registered keeper. When you export a car you fill in the relevent section and send off the log book. If OP has the log book with Omagh woman's name then the relevent section hasn't been filled in and sent off.

The only other way to inform the authorities would be if she told them she lost the log book, get a new log book and sent it away with the relevent section filled in... very unlikely.

The car could not be registered as exported because Omagh woman is still the registered keeper. When you export a car you fill in the relevent section and send off the log book. If OP has the log book with Omagh woman's name then the relevent section hasn't been filled in and sent off.

The only other way to inform the authorities would be if she told them she lost the log book, get a new log book and sent it away with the relevent section filled in... very unlikely.
    this has no relevance to what the o.p should or shouldnt do with his car

The car could not be registered as exported because Omagh woman is still the registered keeper. When you export a car you fill in the relevent section and send off the log book.

Here's the most important part.
    When you export a car from UK, then yes - you send the relevant section of the logbook and keep the rest for purposes of registering a car abroad.
    That applies in case UK resident moves abroad and takes his car with him.

But if UK resident sells car to foreign resident for export, he hand whole logbook (V5C) to the new owner, and just informs DVLA about the fact car was sold for export.
    If OP has the log book with Omagh woman's name then the relevent section hasn't been filled in and sent off.

That's all nonsence.

CiniO wrote: »

But if UK resident sells car to foreign resident for export, he hand whole logbook (V5C) to the new owner, and just informs DVLA about the fact car was sold for export.
    You dont hand over the log book at all! You post off the logbook and the new owner gets a slip the size of a bank card. The buyer receive an updated logbook in the post in a few weeks.

this has no relevance to what the o.p should or shouldnt do with his car
    I think he knows the problem... hence starting the thread...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭rocky

You dont hand over the log book at all! You post off the logbook and the new owner gets a slip the size of a bank card. The buyer receive an updated logbook in the post in a few weeks.

The buyer receives it in a different country??

Jeasus how many times can we go through this, even within the same thread???

That's the procedure when UK resident buys a car from UK resident.
    If foreign resident buys a car from UK resident, then seller hands over logbook to the buyer.
    Without logbook buyer wouldn't even be allowed to drive the car abroad, as this it's the requirement to carry a vehicle registration certificate (logbook) with you at all times when driving a foreign registered car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Christ of all mighty, the OP has a fairly straight forward questions and other ill-informed posters start creating problems where there are none.

OP, everything you have is correct. If you went and bought the car yourself, you wouldn't have anything different (just maybe a receipt).

Now make an appointment with the NCT to pay VRT.

Advertisement