Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Really need help in a sticky situation.

Options
  • 29-03-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭

Ok so basically my GF's Dad bought her a car for Christmas 2010 but she never got driving lessons or did the provisional and doesnt seem to have the intention on doing so. But I have a provisional License and I decided ill try get insured on the car but the car needs to be in my name her Dad had the log books so I got her to get the log books off her Dad but there U.K log books from Northern Ireland and the car is in yellow reg also the names have not been changed over in the log books and its in some womans name I dont know from Omagh and the car was Bought two years ago:mad:. I know Id have to Vrt the car and get new Reg's or whatever. But what do I do about the Log book situation as my GF and her Dad No longer Speak.I have the car and the log books now but I dont know what to do. I dont know why her dad didnt get the names changed into my girlfriends name at the time but he just didn't. I also have a SORN cert to state the vehicle has been off the road and it expires on 30 June 2010. I really dont know what to do :( ive never bought a car before and Im trying to put this car in my name :confused:. But its a mess of a situation. Any Help at all Would be great but I cant see much help other than buy a new car LOL :o

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Id just giive it back and buy something that is up to date in its diocumentation and doesnt need a pile spending on VRT

• Registered Users Posts: 81,501 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

First thing I would do is check if the car is stolen, contact the previous owner on the V5 document to see how they sold it to the girls father. If you don't have the full V5 document I would simply forget about the whole thing, too much of a mess.

If the car has been sitting idle for 2 years it's most likely only fit for a trip to Hammond Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

My brothers a mechanic so what ever needs to be done can be done. The VRT would cost me 400 euro its been in a garage in my gf's Back Garden i think it just needs a new battery and prob a service. I highly doubt it was robbed and there is no contact details for the woman who owned the vehicle just address

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

steo_magra wrote: »
    Ok so basically my GF's Dad bought her a car for Christmas 2010 but she never got driving lessons or did the provisional and doesnt seem to have the intention on doing so. But I have a provisional License and I decided ill try get insured on the car but the car needs to be in my name her Dad had the log books so I got her to get the log books off her Dad but there U.K log books from Northern Ireland and the car is in yellow reg also the names have not been changed over in the log books and its in some womans name I dont know from Omagh and the car was Bought two years ago:mad:. I know Id have to Vrt the car and get new Reg's or whatever. But what do I do about the Log book situation as my GF and her Dad No longer Speak.I have the car and the log books now but I dont know what to do. I dont know why her dad didnt get the names changed into my girlfriends name at the time but he just didn't. I also have a SORN cert to state the vehicle has been off the road and it expires on 30 June 2010. I really dont know what to do :( ive never bought a car before and Im trying to put this car in my name :confused:. But its a mess of a situation. Any Help at all Would be great but I cant see much help other than buy a new car LOL :o

That ^^^ sounds like a ballache
    Buy a second hand car - Problem solved

+ Family and stuff like that does not mix.

€400 VRT? If it's an old banger, my info is that VRT is a minimum of €720

• Advertisement

https://www.ros.ie/evrt-enquiry/vrtenquiry.html?execution=e1s1

Thats the website i got a quote off to vrt the car - costs 400 euro and the car of similiar spec is going for 1000-1200. So i think it be worth the 400 if i can get the documents changed over. Also If I forged her signature and then sent it to my address would she be informed of this??? Its just her signature i need and i cant seem to track her down. I dont see what would be so bad about signing the document seen as she should have done it in the first place so bloody annoying how could two people be so stupid the buyer and the seller

Oh by the way I do have the full V5 document just no phone number for the woman

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Forging a signature on a legal document could land you in prison, or at least get you a hefty fine. Right now the car still legally belongs to the PO since the V5 is in her name. So forging her name on a change of ownership form could get you in trouble for handling stolen goods.

If you have the address of the PO, write to her explaining the situation. She may be more than happy to sort it all out with you. Like another poster said, run the reg through a history check first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I'd say same as previous posters...
    Family stuff isn't worth the bother...

It'll be grief down the line no matter what happens, he'll claim he bought the car and you stole the documents... Your changing the ownership without his consent and he did buy the car...

Remember you'll have to NCT the car too, service, battery and VRT...
    You say it's only worth €1k, you'll have spent the best part of that and be looking over your shoulder wondering when he'll kick up a storm...

Buy a second hand car with NCT already and save yourself a whole heap of trouble..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Who is the legal owner of the car?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

Oh by the way I do have the full V5 document just no phone number for the woman

I had a similar issue when I bought my motorbike. The guy who sold it to me only had the V5 thingie. As soon as I bought it I signed the paper and ask the revenue about the whole VRT process. Back then all I had to do is pay 150 euro and that was it. A week later a car ran into me and the bike was off the road for over 2 years so never got the chance to do it.

A year ago I fixed the bike and started using it once more. I decided to make it road legal and pay the VRT. It was different than before as I needed to pass an NCT test now. One of the things they asked for was a proof of purchase (which I never got) but never mentioned anything about the V5 needing both (previous and current) owner signatures. I rang a few people and I told them that I bought this bike of a guy in meath and that it wasnt the original owner. I told them that I had checked that the car was not stolen and also tried contacting the previous owner but never heard back. They said not to worry. They said that all I needed was a proof of purchase. I told them I dint have one from the original owner (yes I know but I was a fool back then) so they said to make a new one and state the date of the transfer and put my signature on it.

Then I went to pass the NCT, presented all my papers, which were, original V5 UK, proof of purchase (that I wrote the day before stating the real day when I bought my bike), and a couple of forms.

A week later I had my papers with me (it took longer because they couldnt find my bike on the revenue list) and the best thing is that I never paid in arreas, only paid the VRT from the day I brought the bike to the NCT...

You are on a provisional so who is gonna be with you in the car? maybe it will be cheaper if you let him/her insure it

I do agree with other posters here... this looks like trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

All seems to be easy.
    You have a car, and you have V5C.
    That's all you need to pay VRT and register it in Ireland AFAIK.
    Book you VRT inspection at NCT centre and go for it. I can't see a need to contact previous owner. Also your GF father couldn't change a name on V5C as he is not resident in NI.

AltAccount wrote: »
    Who is the legal owner of the car?

If OP's father bought it, and then gave it to his daughter, then she is a legal owner of the car.

Chimaera wrote: »
    Right now the car still legally belongs to the PO since the V5 is in her name. So forging her name on a change of ownership form could get you in trouble for handling stolen goods.
    If OP's GF father bought it, the no - it doesn't still egally belong to the previous owner. No need (and also no possibility) to change the name on V5C.
    If you have the address of the PO, write to her explaining the situation. She may be more than happy to sort it all out with you. Like another poster said, run the reg through a history check first.

What would you expect PO to do even if she was willing to help?

CiniO wrote: »
    If OP's GF father bought it, the no - it doesn't still egally belong to the previous owner. No need (and also no possibility) to change the name on V5C.

I agree. If it genuinely was purchased and given to your gf, then she is the legal owner and can re-reg it. If she gives it to you (and a receipt preferably) then you can.

If it's all above board, then there is no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 10,488 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bohrio wrote: »
    I had a similar issue when I bought my motorbike. The guy who sold it to me only had the V5 thingie. As soon as I bought it I signed the paper and ask the revenue about the whole VRT process. Back then all I had to do is pay 150 euro and that was it. A week later a car ran into me and the bike was off the road for over 2 years so never got the chance to do it.

A year ago I fixed the bike and started using it once more. I decided to make it road legal and pay the VRT. It was different than before as I needed to pass an NCT test now. One of the things they asked for was a proof of purchase (which I never got) but never mentioned anything about the V5 needing both (previous and current) owner signatures. I rang a few people and I told them that I bought this bike of a guy in meath and that it wasnt the original owner. I told them that I had checked that the car was not stolen and also tried contacting the previous owner but never heard back. They said not to worry. They said that all I needed was a proof of purchase. I told them I dint have one from the original owner (yes I know but I was a fool back then) so they said to make a new one and state the date of the transfer and put my signature on it.

Then I went to pass the NCT, presented all my papers, which were, original V5 UK, proof of purchase (that I wrote the day before stating the real day when I bought my bike), and a couple of forms.

A week later I had my papers with me (it took longer because they couldnt find my bike on the revenue list) and the best thing is that I never paid in arreas, only paid the VRT from the day I brought the bike to the NCT...

You are on a provisional so who is gonna be with you in the car? maybe it will be cheaper if you let him/her insure it

I do agree with other posters here... this looks like trouble
    first you say bike, then car and then bike again and afaik bikes don't need any test done at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Bohrio

guil wrote: »
    first you say bike, then car and then bike again and afaik bikes don't need any test done at the moment

car? where? sorry about that... i think

They do

link

They do basic checks only, but I had to do it for mine...

Everytime I write something down people always suspect... from now on I will do the same, I should have replied... source?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

CiniO wrote: »
    If OP's father bought it, and then gave it to his daughter, then she is a legal owner of the car.

That's a fairly expensive "if", unless you can prove the father got passed legal title from the lady in Omagh, and gave it to his daughter. And seeing as he's uncontactable, I'm wondering how possible that is.

Seems like a bit of a risk when there are plenty of "legit" cars out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

That's a fairly expensive "if", unless you can prove the father got passed legal title from the lady in Omagh, and gave it to his daughter. And seeing as he's uncontactable, I'm wondering how possible that is.

the car sounds completely legit you have the v5. doesnt matter what name its in go and pay the vrt . get a new irish logbook in your name then the car is yours

What legal title you mean?
    If you buy a car, from the moment of transaction you become a legal owner of the vehicle.

But they are not for free, while this one is.

• Advertisement

Thanks for all your help guys I have all the legal documentation and the car but the legal documentation is still in the womans name from omagh who my GF's dad bought it off my GF is giving the car to me. Im just worried because I dont have the womans signature on the V5 document. I think ill just bring it to The Nct centre and get it VRT'd its technically my GF's car as her dad bought it for her but he never got the woman he bought it off to sign the change of ownership section if you guys get me but I think its safer than i originally maybe im thinking to deep. Thanks for all the help any more answers and helpful ideas would be cool :)

• Registered Users Posts: 64,989 ✭✭✭✭unkel

I dont know why her dad didnt get the names changed into my girlfriends name at the time

Because he is a tax dodger?

I agree with the others. It could get nasty should he claim he never gave her the car in the first place and she took it from him. For the sake of a few hundred euro, buy another car that already is on Irish plates and that already has been NCT tested (with a long test remaining).

What legal title you mean?
    If you buy a car, from the moment of transaction you become a legal owner of the vehicle.

It's only legally yours if you have documentary evidence to support your claim. In the absence of a receipt of sale, if the change of ownership paperwork was never completed, then it has not legally changed ownership. Hence my earlier suggestion of writing to the PO with the intention of completing the change of ownership process in the UK. I'm not sure the VRT guys will sign off on an import if you can't prove you own the car either.

unkel wrote: »
    Because he is a tax dodger?

I agree with the others. It could get nasty should he claim he never gave her the car in the first place and she took it from him. For the sake of a few hundred euro, buy another car that already is on Irish plates and that already has been NCT tested (with a long test remaining).

Yes Probably a tax dodger but it wont get nasty because I think he knows I have the car and doesnt care and isn't arsed replying to texts or answering his phone to help me resolve situation same as doesnt answer phone to GF frown.gif. Its just that bloody womans signature I need. And he wouldn't claim he didnt give my GF her the car either.

Chimaera: Yeah you could be right Ill give them a ring and explain my situation. My bro is a mechanic so anything which is probably small that needs to be done ill get done. It had the Uk NCT when it was bought so I cant see much to be wrong with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭john reilly

It's only legally yours if you have documentary evidence to support your claim. In the absence of a receipt of sale, if the change of ownership paperwork was never completed, then it has not legally changed ownership. Hence my earlier suggestion of writing to the PO with the intention of completing the change of ownership process in the UK. I'm not sure the VRT guys will sign off on an import if you can't prove you own the car either.

please stop making problems where they dont exist. all he has to do is take the car to nct and pay vrt. simple

you don't neeed the Omagh womans signature.
    The procedure is that she should have handed the guy the V5C and written to the DVLA(NI) telling them she has sold the car and it has been exported. The section on the V5C for export is solely for use should the woman have been exporting the car HERSELF.
    There is therefore nowhere for her to sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

OP

Have a look at the NCT website, I think it is www.ncts.ie
    All the information is there.
    You can book your test online, and it will tell you what documents you need to take with you.

The only problem I think you will have is the fact that the car has been in the country for longer than 7 days.

Yes Probably a tax dodger but it wont get nasty because I think he knows I have the car and doesnt care and isn't arsed replying to texts or answering his phone to help me resolve situation same as doesnt answer phone to GF frown.gif. Its just that bloody womans signature I need. And he wouldn't claim he didnt give my GF her the car either.

I think you are not reading what people are answering you here.
    You don't need any womans signature. When purchasing car abroad (for example NI) you don't change ownership with filling the form, as they can't change ownership on NI document into someone resident in ROI. If you buy a car in NI from anyone else, you wouldn't get that person signature on V5C anyway.

you don't neeed the Omagh womans signature.
    The procedure is that she should have handed the guy the V5C and written to the DVLA(NI) telling them she has sold the car and it has been exported. The section on the V5C for export is solely for use should the woman have been exporting the car HERSELF.
    There is therefore nowhere for her to sign.

So the UK don't require both current and future owners to sign off on the documents for change of ownership? Wow! Wide open for fraud and theft there. All you need to do is get the V5 and you can claim ownership of the car? You'll forgive me if I think this sounds like bull :)

• Advertisement

So the UK don't require both current and future owners to sign off on the documents for change of ownership? Wow! Wide open for fraud and theft there. All you need to do is get the V5 and you can claim ownership of the car? You'll forgive me if I think this sounds like bull :)

They do require both signatures on the document, when change of ownership is between two UK residents.
    If UK resident is selling his UK registered car to non-resident (for example Irish resident) then correct procedure is to hand over V5C to the new owner, as he will need it to register the car in his home country (f.e. Ireland).

Advertisement