Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Options
  • 29-03-2012 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Anyone pick this up?

Is it any good, I loved 1 and 2 for the playstation so much back in the day, And I played snake eater a few times but never finished it. Was strongly thinking of purchasing it tomorrow. Seen it in HMV for €35 I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

If you liked the first two then the HD collection is definitely worth it. Finish MGS3, the second best game in the series [behind MGS]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

It looks and plays like a charm. I had Peace Walker on the psp so currenly making my way through it again on the hd collection. I had substance on the original xbox so I'm glad to finally get to play (and hopefully finish!) it this time as it wasn't compatible with the new 360.

But yeah it's MGS, polished. So still very enjoyable.

You might find more info here. (Forum dedicated to MGS).

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1086

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Yeah I cant count how many times i played 1 and 2 back in the day.

Which one is 3? Is that snake eater? I wish they had have included 1 in this pack I would have been first in the cue to pick it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

For 35 euro it's an absolute steal,many times games get re-released and they just don't feel the same, this collection is every bit as good as you remember and then some.

I was the same as you never finished snake eater, but after playing now it's easily the best of the series.

Never played peace walker, and initially it took some getting used to as it's a bit different to the others in how it plays, but after I'd finished the main story which was good the multiplayer and ex ops missions turned out to be the main meat of the game. Must have put 40 hours into that game alone.

The discs also have the original NES metal gear games too so it's really 5 games. I also wished they had put twin snakes or even plain old Metal Gear Solid on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭garysully1986

Haha ah am never played the original games. First experience was that demo of Metal gear Solid, It was just the first part in the basement! I still remember playing that demo hundreds of times! The MGS on playstation was brilliant, Remember you had to get the code from the picture on the back of the game case! They dont make em like that any more.

Yeah think I will definately pick this up tomorrow. There goes my weekend! :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Haha ah am never played the original games. First experience was that demo of Metal gear Solid, It was just the first part in the basement! I still remember playing that demo hundreds of times! The MGS on playstation was brilliant, Remember you had to get the code from the picture on the back of the game case! They dont make em like that any more.

Yeah think I will definately pick this up tomorrow. There goes my weekend! :D:D:D

It's very strange that the self aware, breaking the fourth wall that actually fit in with MGS1. Although I don't remember any bits from 2 or 3. Probably because I haven't played them enough....yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,821 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As a person who had only played MGS 1, 2 and 4, i couldn't recommend them more. I have already, easily, got 60 hours out of it, and i've only played MGS3 and half of Peace Walker. Definite purchase, especially for a measly €35.

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭souleater3000

Bought the game online, played all 5 games on it and loved it, kept me very well entertained for my gameing hours over the last 2 months and still have loads to do like 100% the games get the trophies ect, well worth 35euro especially if you want the full Metal Gear experience :)

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I got mine for 47 euro and I dont regret it.These 5 games are brillant.You cant even get Mg 1 or 2 anymore

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭ari gold24

Any particular reason why the original Metal Gear Solid from PS1 isnt included??

Very disappointed its not included but certainly wont stop me from purchasing it,looks to be very well put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

ari gold24 wrote: »
    Any particular reason why the original Metal Gear Solid from PS1 isnt included??

Very disappointed its not included but certainly wont stop me from purchasing it,looks to be very well put together.

Could be a region thing with the old game or could be that those ps1 sen game are unable to be played from a blu ray or from a multi game disc.

Or it could be they just want an extra €10 off you.

Varik wrote: »
    Could be a region thing with the old game or could be that those ps1 sen game are unable to be played from a blu ray or from a multi game disc.

Or it could be they just want an extra €10 off you.

Also, it's available on PSN so they didn't want to lose sales by having it on-disc, and people are more inclined to buy it now that they want to complete the collection...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,486 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Also, it's available on PSN so they didn't want to lose sales by having it on-disc, and people are more inclined to buy it now that they want to complete the collection...

Which is where that €10 comes into it, i think it's still €9.99 at least.

Varik wrote: »
    Which is where that €10 comes into it, i think it's still €9.99 at least.

I somehow didn't make that connection! :o

Yeh, MGS1 is on the PSN so thats why they didnt release it in the collection, im also wondering why MGS Portable Ops wasnt in the collection and Peace Walker was, not that im complaining but I am curious about it.

Yeh, MGS1 is on the PSN so thats why they didnt release it in the collection, im also wondering why MGS Portable Ops wasnt in the collection and Peace Walker was, not that im complaining but I am curious about it.

Probably to save it for MGS HD Collection 2...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭johnners2981

Just a warning, the controls aren't great for mgs2 and mgs3, they could have updated them to peace walkers or mgs4 but it wasn't to be

Everything is as it was in the substance and subsistance versions of mgs2 and 3? I think thats the names anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭blaa85

Got it for 35 euro in Tescos the day after it came out, bought mgs1 off of the ps store, and went through 1,2,3, Peace Walker and then finally 4. Got a solid 4/5 weeks out of it. Some value

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭EDDIE WATERS

I think during this week or next week I do them in chronological order so MGS3 first then PW MG1 MG2 MGS1 MGS2 MGS4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,105 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I played MGS4 after I finished the collection, the game is good but Christ, the story is a pile of poo.

''Nanomachines, nanomachines, nanomachines, nanomachines, nanomchines.'' That's all it is!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭winston82

Is this collection just for hardcore mgs fans. Why would I spend €50 on 3 games I've already played? Is HD that much of a difference?

I played them MGS3, Peace Walker, MG, MG2SS, MGS1 MGS2 MGS4

Technically its 5 games MGS3, Peace Walker, MG, MG2SS, MGS2 And the price has dropped now, i pre ordered on amazon and got it for 35 well worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

winston82 wrote: »
    Is this collection just for hardcore mgs fans. Why would I spend €50 on 3 games I've already played? Is HD that much of a difference?

IMO its for:
    - hardcore MGS fans
    - people who have not played the series but want to
    - and people who have previously played the MGS series and either did not play all of them, or no longer have them but would like to own them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

Just a warning, the controls aren't great for mgs2 and mgs3, they could have updated them to peace walkers or mgs4 but it wasn't to be

I played MGS1 first, going onto 2 the controls felt so much better! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

winston82 wrote: »

Don't know, but I got my copy for €30 on release, can't imagine anyone buying it for €50. I think GameStop tried selling it for that...

It was 35 in gamestop last friday and other new games like FFXIII2 were even at low prices, so if you see it somewhere for 50 got somewhere else and look for it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Guys, had MGS3 still got the horrible camera or is it the Subsistence version?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭Twilightning

Guys, had MGS3 still got the horrible camera or is it the Subsistence version?

Subsistence

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,254 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Subsistence

Excellent.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

Advertisement