Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fiscal Treaty Referendum.....How will you vote?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

So you're voting no on a treaty that you agree with because it has been proposed on a European level?

More so because it will be controlled by Europe. I think it will give momentum in the future for further ceding of sovereignty because people will think "ah sure the decisions are already made at european level what does it matter"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

If the treaty led us 1 inch closer to a democratic united states of Europe, then that would be an argument in its favour.

However, the treaty does nothing to change the fact that most of our laws are made by unelected commissions and councils of ministers.

In either event, I am opposed to having anything like balanced budgets written into our laws, or to having our adherence to such rules policed by the undemocratic EU.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Dubhlinner wrote: »
    Voting no. Its just another step toward a united states of europe.
    It's nothing of the sort. If anything, it's just reaffirming budget rules that are already in place.
    The treaty in itself I don't have much against. If a party had proposed it on a national level I'd have been in favour
    I honestly have no idea what to do with that. You think it's a good idea but you're voting no anyway? Mind boggling.
    fries wrote: »
    Remember their Lisbon message ''yes for jobs''? It's been all downhill for Ireland since!
    Referendum slogans aside, it really has not been "all downhill" for Ireland since Lisbon became law. Exports are booming and a lot of jobs are being created in certain sectors. Just because Ireland has a bunch of unemployed construction workers does not mean it's been "all downhill".

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Right 2B a liar

Wow I never knew it was so simple just say no and all our problems will float away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭gerryo777

djpbarry wrote: »
    Just because Ireland has a bunch of unemployed construction workers does not mean it's been "all downhill".

WHAT??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

However, the treaty does nothing to change the fact that most of our laws are made by unelected commissions and councils of ministers.
    The treaty does nothing to change this because it's not untrue.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I am surprised at just how many people here are voting No.

This treaty is the best chance we have to continue funding important services like education, health and social welfare. If we don't get the means to fund vital services that are already stretched to breaking point, we will be condemning the poorest and most vulnerable in society to hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

If the treaty led us 1 inch closer to a democratic united states of Europe, then that would be an argument in its favour.

In fact, EU legislation can only be proposed by the "unelected Commission". It's then amended and passed or rejected by the elected parliament and the elected Council of Ministers.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭guinnessdrinker

At the moment I am veering towards a no but I am still not certain how I will cast my vote on polling day.

My thinking may be quite flawed and maybe I am a little mixed up but one of the reasons I am veering towards no is as follows:

Firstly, I am a little annoyed at the ongoing government mantra of "we inherited this mess" type response to difficult questions about the economy/austerity/lack of growth in the economy. The government knew what they were inheriting so maybe they should stop peddling that line, it's growing tired.

Secondly, and I must say I could be wrong about this but this is how I am picking up government spokespersons. They seem to use the IMF/EU/ECB as a bit of an excuse for government actions. i.e. "we are doing this to fulfill conditions for the bailout". We all know conditions have to be met to receive the funding so stop trying to use this as an excuse, we are paying you to make hard decisions.

I feel the government does not want to take hard decisions by themselves. I hope we emerge from this current bailout without the need for a further bailout. Regardless, Ireland can still apply for funding up to the middle of next year irrespective of how we vote in the referendum. If we do need funding in five years time or further down the line it is up the the government to ensure their own house is in order first, something FF/Greens/PD's couldn't do.

I think what I am saying is, if we vote no then the government have to make their own decisions and I think they are terrified of this more than anything else. I want a government that will make its own decisions however unpopular those decisions may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

It's nothing of the sort. If anything, it's just reaffirming budget rules that are already in place.

Reaffirming by europe imposing penalties if the rules aren't kept to. How could that not be european control?

I honestly have no idea what to do with that. You think it's a good idea but you're voting no anyway? Mind boggling.

For the reason that its european control and I don't want them gaining any further sovereign power over us. as above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

Reaffirming by europe imposing penalties if the rules aren't kept to. How could that not be european control?

Actually, it is the biggest countries who are most likely to be affected by the new rules, as the penalties kick in automatically. Right now other countries have to make a move to instigate penalties, and there are plenty of ways large countries can discourage that.

Remember, these new rules would apply to everyone - not just us.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭paddydu

Thanks guys for all the info in this thread so all I need to do now is vote no to give me a chance of any work and my kids a chance of staying here when they grow up. I used to be proud of my little country and its long struggle with England for independence. Maybe one day we will be independent again, coz id like my kids to know what's it was like, so thanks again for all your views on for and against I'l just vote NO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭swampgas

paddydu wrote: »
    Thanks guys for all the info in this thread so all I need to do now is vote no to give me a chance of any work and my kids a chance of staying here when they grow up. I used to be proud of my little country and its long struggle with England for independence. Maybe one day we will be independent again, coz id like my kids to know what's it was like, so thanks again for all your views on for and against I'l just vote NO

I'm can't see how a No vote will do what you think it will. IMO our future choices are economic success as part of Europe and the Euro or economic decline outside it.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

At the moment I am veering towards a no but I am still not certain how I will cast my vote on polling day.

My thinking may be quite flawed and maybe I am a little mixed up but one of the reasons I am veering towards no is as follows:

Firstly, I am a little annoyed at the ongoing government mantra of "we inherited this mess" type response to difficult questions about the economy/austerity/lack of growth in the economy. The government knew what they were inheriting so maybe they should stop peddling that line, it's growing tired.

Secondly, and I must say I could be wrong about this but this is how I am picking up government spokespersons. They seem to use the IMF/EU/ECB as a bit of an excuse for government actions. i.e. "we are doing this to fulfill conditions for the bailout". We all know conditions have to be met to receive the funding so stop trying to use this as an excuse, we are paying you to make hard decisions.

I feel the government does not want to take hard decisions by themselves. I hope we emerge from this current bailout without the need for a further bailout. Regardless, Ireland can still apply for funding up to the middle of next year irrespective of how we vote in the referendum. If we do need funding in five years time or further down the line it is up the the government to ensure their own house is in order first, something FF/Greens/PD's couldn't do.

I think what I am saying is, if we vote no then the government have to make their own decisions and I think they are terrified of this more than anything else. I want a government that will make its own decisions however unpopular those decisions may be.

The reasons you give to vote no are based on emotion and sentiment and have as much probability of being true as false. I think it's better to make your decision on something concrete such as the articles of the treaty (or the Referendum Commission's interpretation thereof), the specified debt and deficit levels, and the mechanisms to monitor, control and enforce them. For issues not covered directly by the treaty such as the effect on business or other aspects of the economy then there are plenty of economists and business leaders who've already given their expert opinion.
    I'm not going to tell you which way to vote but at least base your vote on something concrete.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

115 - 271 at the moment for the yes - no vote doesnt look good for them if boards is anything to go by..

I would say im voting no to this fisical treaty im curious to see if the sky will really fall on my head if i say no

Iceland let the banks burn,our first mistake was listening to our government now we are stuck with a vote yes or vote yes again situation

we will be writing into law the household charges,and water charges..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

swampgas wrote: »
    I'm can't see how a No vote will do what you think it will. IMO our future choices are economic success as part of Europe and the Euro or economic decline outside it.
    Iceland is doing fine outside the EU/Euro with 7% unemployment compared to 14% here. I would argue that having unsuitable interest rates imposed on Eurozone countries largely caused the housing bubbles in various EU states such as Ireland and Spain. If we were outside the Euro we could have done what Iceland did and put the failing banks into receivership and refused to bail out the bondholders. The risk of contagion within the Eurozone prevented us doing that. Angela Merkel said a few days ago that the Euro was a "political project".

• Registered Users Posts: 47 milewidehead

At the moment I'm a D'ont Know. I'm fed up with simplistic mantras from both sides such as 'Austerity is'nt working' or 'Keep Ireland at the heart of Europe'. I d'ont see how this Treaty or 'Fiscal Compact' is going to change things either way. Massive, overwhelming National and personal Debt is the problem, all over Europe practically, and I d'ont see how wishful thinking and good intentions for the future is going to change the Now. Of course we should balance our budgets, just like we should lose weight, eat more vegetables, drive responsibly....etc.etc.
    This Treaty seems to be another ceding of our personal responsibility and Sovereigntyto a Centralized European ideal. Future Irish governments will be able to pass the buck on 'Hard Decisions' citing new European Fiscal Rules and regulations. (Nothing new there, think of the ban on turf-cutting).
    Hell, I'm not a D'ont Know any more!. I'm voting No, and I'm sure Ireland will remain exactly where it was before the Treaty, regarding Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

115 - 271 at the moment for the yes - no vote doesnt look good for them if boards is anything to go by..

Boards isn't representative of the Irish population as a whole (especially the part entitled to vote and who actually bother.)
    I would say im voting no to this fisical treaty im curious to see if the sky will really fall on my head if i say no

Do you think it is wise to take a needless risk?
    Iceland let the banks burn,our first mistake was listening to our government now we are stuck with a vote yes or vote yes again situation

It's been explained time and time again how our situation is not at all comparable to Iceland, Iceland is not in the EU never mind the euro. It's been explained time and time again that this vote has nothing to do with the bank bailouts one way or the other. It's been explained time and time again that the rest of the Eurozone are going ahead with this treaty whichever way we vote, we've no veto over them nor should we have.
    we will be writing into law the household charges,and water charges..

It's also been explained time and time again that the household and water charges are nothing to do with this vote either. They're already 'written into law' like any tax or charge is.

Life ain't always empty.

The relevance of Iceland is that the EU can't force it to bail out the banks whereas the EU did. Perhaps the Euro isn't worth the price of its survival if it impairs our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Iceland is doing fine outside the EU/Euro with 7% unemployment compared to 14% here.

To add to what has been said already Iceland had nearly 9 times the unemployment rate after it's bust. Very easy to say their the rate is only 7% now, but that's nearly 8 times more than it was. We lost more jobs in our bust than they have people. Well at least people have stopped comparing us to Norway, that's something I suppose.
    At the moment I'm a D'ont Know. I'm fed up with simplistic mantras from both sides such as 'Austerity is'nt working' or 'Keep Ireland at the heart of Europe'. I d'ont see how this Treaty or 'Fiscal Compact' is going to change things either way. Massive, overwhelming National and personal Debt is the problem, all over Europe practically, and I d'ont see how wishful thinking and good intentions for the future is going to change the Now. Of course we should balance our budgets, just like we should lose weight, eat more vegetables, drive responsibly....etc.etc.
    This Treaty seems to be another ceding of our personal responsibility and Sovereigntyto a Centralized European ideal. Future Irish governments will be able to pass the buck on 'Hard Decisions' citing new European Fiscal Rules and regulations. (Nothing new there, think of the ban on turf-cutting).
    Hell, I'm not a D'ont Know any more!. I'm voting No, and I'm sure Ireland will remain exactly where it was before the Treaty, regarding Europe.

So you don't know which way to vote but then you give reasons why to vote no? I can't help but notice the number of times I've seen this same tactic online in the last week or two. Interestingly it was exactly the same up to the Lisbon votes. My other favourite is "I was voting yes but (insert politician here) said (insert comment here) and now I'm voting no".

• Advertisement

The relevance of Iceland is that the EU can't force it to bail out the banks whereas the EU did. Perhaps the Euro isn't worth the price of its survival if it impairs our own.

Iceland didn't bail out its banks because their balance sheets were 10 times its GDP - and they've said as much. Ireland bailed out its banks because the government thought they'd come up with a cunning plan to do so - the "cheapest bailout in the world". And the decision to bail out the Irish banks was an Irish decision - nobody made us do it. None of the documentation or what was said at the time even mentions the ECB or the EU, all of whom were visibly unhappy and surprised when presented with Lenihan's "masterstroke" as a fait accompli.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

More so because it will be controlled by Europe. I think it will give momentum in the future for further ceding of sovereignty because people will think "ah sure the decisions are already made at european level what does it matter"
    It won't be controlled by Europe though; we will be putting the budgetary constraints into our own constitution/legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭karlth

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Iceland didn't bail out its banks because their balance sheets were 10 times its GDP - and they've said as much.

Nevertheless Iceland was offered a "helping hand" from the IMF, Britain and ECB. The offer was declined by the then right wing government. According to the current, left wing, finance minister it wasn't though a "good decision" but a "necessary decision." ;)
    Ireland bailed out its banks because the government thought they'd come up with a cunning plan to do so - the "cheapest bailout in the world". And the decision to bail out the Irish banks was an Irish decision - nobody made us do it. None of the documentation or what was said at the time even mentions the ECB or the EU, all of whom were visibly unhappy and surprised when presented with Lenihan's "masterstroke" as a fait accompli

An interesting tidbit surfaced after the trial against Geir Haarde, the icelandic prime minister during the banking crisis. Now Iceland is not a member of the EU but nevertheless EU's José Manuel Barroso telephoned Haarde before the decision was made not to guarantee the banks' debts. Barroso read a pre-written text to Haarde asking that the creditors of the icelandic banks debts would be treated fairly instead of "flushed down the toilet."

I don't of course know whether Barroso telephoned the irish government as well but it is not unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

HELP
    will someone explain in simple terms,
    what it mean to vote no,
    and what it mean to vote yes.
    keep it simple.
    as my brain is ravelled by reading all the litrature, and still i am in a state of confusion as there is good and bad on both sides,

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Ireland was part of Europe last time I checked?
    Iceland is doing fine outside the EU/Euro with 7% unemployment compared to 14% here.
    How does inflation compare between Iceland and Ireland?

Ireland was part of Europe last time I checked?
    How does inflation compare between Iceland and Ireland?
    In April it was 6.4% in Iceland, and 1.9% in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭Boulevardier

Eddie Hobbs in today' Sunday Bizpost magazine says he is voting No because

"Handing over control of our budget toa body that can't be held accountable is not a good idea in my opinion."

This makes sense to me, even though I disagree with Hobbs on a lot of other things.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Eddie Hobbs in today' Sunday Bizpost magazine says he is voting No because

"Handing over control of our budget toa body that can't be held accountable is not a good idea in my opinion."

This makes sense to me, even though I disagree with Hobbs on a lot of other things.
    Our government?

karlth wrote: »
    Nevertheless Iceland was offered a "helping hand" from the IMF, Britain and ECB. The offer was declined by the then right wing government. According to the current, left wing, finance minister it wasn't though a "good decision" but a "necessary decision." ;)

Amidst the sound and fury, it is often forgotten that banks serve a vital economic function.
    karlth wrote: »
    An interesting tidbit surfaced after the trial against Geir Haarde, the icelandic prime minister during the banking crisis. Now Iceland is not a member of the EU but nevertheless EU's José Manuel Barroso telephoned Haarde before the decision was made not to guarantee the banks' debts. Barroso read a pre-written text to Haarde asking that the creditors of the icelandic banks debts would be treated fairly instead of "flushed down the toilet."

I don't of course know whether Barroso telephoned the irish government as well but it is not unlikely.

More the other way round - Lenihan decided, and then phoned around to tell people. First the rest of the Cabinet, then the UK, France, and the ECB.

Although there is a Fianna Fáil revisionist version, in which a phone call from Trichet that Lenihan neither took nor returned forced the government to guarantee the entire Irish banking system.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Vita nova

Iceland is doing fine outside the EU/Euro with 7% unemployment compared to 14% here. I would argue that having unsuitable interest rates imposed on Eurozone countries largely caused the housing bubbles in various EU states such as Ireland and Spain. If we were outside the Euro we could have done what Iceland did and put the failing banks into receivership and refused to bail out the bondholders. The risk of contagion within the Eurozone prevented us doing that. Angela Merkel said a few days ago that the Euro was a "political project".

Quoting the unemployment rate for a single point in time conveys very little information; one really needs to look at trends and historical precedents to get a more complete picture. In light of that, I've presented the unemployment rates of Iceland and Ireland between 1991 and 2012. The table and plots are compiled from these sources: [1], [2] The rates are for June/July of each year except 2012, wherein it's March.
    unemploymentisvie199120.jpg

Iceland has had a lower unemployment rate than Ireland for the last 20 years. In 2007 just before the crisis the relationship was 2.3% vs 4.5%, or if averaged over the period 2000 to 2007, it's 2.8% vs 4.4%. In the pre-boom years, Ireland's rate was at least 2.5 times Iceland's rate (1991-1998) and at its peak it was 5.3% versus 15.7%. Currently both rates stand at 7% and 14%, so from offset and ratio points of view there is nothing unprecedented in the relationship between our rates.

It's a slightly different story when each country is taken individually. There is a historical precedent for high unemployment in Ireland, from the graph we can see that in 1993 it was 15.7%, in fact in the 80s (pre-euro) it was as high as 18% with an even higher rate of emigration than today - ours is a history of boom and bust. Iceland in contrast has no historical precedent of 7% unemployment in the last 20 years.

I think at this stage in our recovery process, it is pointless to advocate an Icelandic style solution to Ireland's problems, that boat has sailed, and given the relative size and nature of our economies it wouldn't necessarily have produced the same result here. That's not to say I wouldn't have liked to see Anglo's debts "flushed down the toilet" but it's too late now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement